Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mung Dynasty posted:

i wish gamers.txt had funny stuff

If you can search for who posted in that thread, look up RasputinVarez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

zen death robot posted:

byob so it just gets a bunch of weirdos posting about their impending suicide by drugs in it

Nathan roadknight make a rap about gender roles in videogame spaceman culture

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Kewpuh please post the report queue from the gamers.txt thread

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Falsum posted:

Kewpuh please post the report queue from the gamers.txt thread

I imagine there's about 1 report for every .5 posts in that these

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

zen death robot posted:

I'm guessing not many are all that funny

Some are probably like "why hasn't this guy been permabanned yet :qq:"

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
There's not any reports from it because I posted that big OP saying "dont report poo poo unless its goatse or something else or I'll report shame you"

also surprisingly people listened to it

I got a report out of it a couple months ago or whatever when Adam Bowen was posting pictures of a dude on a beach with a football but tahts about it

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Kewpuh posted:

There's not any reports from it because I posted that big OP saying "dont report poo poo unless its goatse or something else or I'll report shame you"

also surprisingly people listened to it

I got a report out of it a couple months ago or whatever when Adam Bowen was posting pictures of a dude on a beach with a football but tahts about it

That's less fun for us but probably a good quality of life thing for the report queue.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

There was a time where I thought grognards.txt was pretty funny, then either my sense of humor developed or it started getting lovely. Also I apparently liked the posts in there that people initially liked, then decided they hated because of whatever.

gently caress gamers.txt though, that's p-much just dudes making GBS threads in their own hands and then throwing it up in the air and it lands where it lands. Maybe somebody else will pick up one of those pieces and throw it back up in the air again, or maybe they'll throw their own poo poo up there to land wherever it lands. It's supposed to be funny, not OH WOW POLITICS.

Actually that is a pretty good description of most discussion of social issues on the internet I think.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i haven't read gamers.txt in a while because it moved too fast for me (ditto for steam thread) but when i did it was p funny to read lovely gamers be sexist/racist/cry over fake ships/etc., i guess that counts as lovely politics or whatever, i still think that stuff was p amusing

i didnt read long enough to get to the bowen stuff, but apparently it was good enough to get the thread goldmined so vOv

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
It wasn't any good

Also last time I checked gamers.txt they were spamming some huge picture, like a wall of Steve Austin gifs except even less funny.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Mocking idiots or racists or whatever is good, but when the mocking idiots/racists thread crashes into arguing about social issues 85% of the time it's not very funny

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jackie D posted:

Mocking idiots or racists or whatever is good, but when the mocking idiots/racists thread crashes into arguing about social issues 85% of the time it's not very funny

this is why the rule that you had to provide gamers.txt quotes/pics of your own per post was a good one, weeded out the me-too's and kerble posts

Dec 26, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

i haven't read gamers.txt in a while because it moved too fast for me (ditto for steam thread) but when i did it was p funny to read lovely gamers be sexist/racist/cry over fake ships/etc., i guess that counts as lovely politics or whatever, i still think that stuff was p amusing

i didnt read long enough to get to the bowen stuff, but apparently it was good enough to get the thread goldmined so vOv

Neurolimal posted:

this is why the rule that you had to provide gamers.txt quotes/pics of your own per post was a good one, weeded out the me-too's and kerble posts

you are pretty much why gamers.txt sucks

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
it's funnty to read about people openly sharing pathetic details of their lives for lulz and it's not funny to read opinions you don't agree with dealing with videogames

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Having to provide content when you post doesn't help the fact that a lot of the current gamers.txt content is bad.

A "don't get emotional/don't rant" rule, or banning 'SJW' content unless it's really good content, would work better.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Buckwild Dorf posted:

it's funnty to read about people openly sharing pathetic details of their lives for lulz and it's not funny to read opinions you don't agree with dealing with videogames

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
you could always just drown out those posts with some good-rear end content from the super sick contributors at DDRD

or make a ddrd gamers.txt thread so you can SHOW THEM HOW ITS DONE

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

you see, that's pretty funny at first but then you read like 5 pages of the same thing that's pathetic in the same way and you start to run out of steam. soon you're reading about how someone got arrested because he broke a storefront window and ran away with a mannequin and the police found him in his room trying to gently caress the mannequin while it's wearing a mask of crash bandicoot and like you don't even smile at that because it's not even a surprise.

all the .txt threads and mock threads are like hellraiser where a guy opens up a hellbox of self-obliteration full of razor wire and meathooks because he's exhausted all physical pleasures possible. once you plumb the good stuff and get tired of it you start dredging up whatever dumb bullshit and changing the parameters of what's worth posting to keep the thread alive when it really should have been gracefully gassed months ago.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't understand why people talk about social issues on video games as if they expect games to not upset their delicate sensibilities

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

i don't understand why people talk about social issues on video games as if they expect games to not upset their delicate sensibilities

same reason you would do it in cined or nmd or bss or whatever the hell stupid medium you want to talk about social issues in, you don't like thing in <source of entertainment>, you talk about how you dont like thing, you dont buy <source of entertainment> with thing in it, maybe other people agree and join you and eventually you get pandered to and <thing> is removed/added/whatever

the only difference is that gamers are insufferable so you have people getting mad over nothing and people getting mad at everyone else over some people getting mad over nothing anddddddddddddddddddddddfashg

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
EX: like hey, it would be cool if you could play as a black protagonist who isn't also a gangster/popular musician gangster/result of a char creator, so you talk about wanting that and also not buying really boring games where you play a white dude killing jungle people

then some other white guy on the internet who has gotten to play a million games with himself in it talks about how immersion is bogus and how none of that totally matters

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
same

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

you could always just drown out those posts with some good-rear end content from the super sick contributors at DDRD

or make a ddrd gamers.txt thread so you can SHOW THEM HOW ITS DONE

someone's on the way to become the next SA admin

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

EX: like hey, it would be cool if you could play as a black protagonist who isn't also a gangster/popular musician gangster/result of a char creator, so you talk about wanting that and also not buying really boring games where you play a white dude killing jungle people

then some other white guy on the internet who has gotten to play a million games with himself in it talks about how immersion is bogus and how none of that totally matters

stfu

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Neurolimal posted:

Do I get to call you a dumbass if I think playing video games as an escapist media is a travesty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Falsum posted:

Do I get to call you a dumbass if I think playing video games as an escapist media is a travesty?

free country forum man, go hog wild

• Locked thread