Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
30 is that age everyone thinks is old until they hit 40 and wish they were still 30. No one ever feels that way about their 20's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

if you really honestly truly care about turning 30 then your doing it wrong. nobody gives a poo poo

16, 18, 21, sure, these actually open up new opportunities for normal people

next big number is 62.5 or 63 or whatever for social security

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

^^ Same for 40

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

bookmarked this thread as I will have to endure the start of a 4th decade as well in a few months and i should go ahead and learn what to expect.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
lol what kind of idiot loser worries about getting old

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am 32. All you whipper snappers turning 30 can ask me for advice on life and things.

I have a friend turning 30 going to Vegas for his b day too.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've been 30 for a year i's been OK I'm on the verge of paying off all the stupid financial decision's I made in my early 20's just in time so I can make all new stupid financial decision's in my thirtie's.

I did go bald but it's cool as I look pretty good bald and bearded and at this age no one gives a poo poo if you go to bed at 9:30pm.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus people. stop eating like poo poo and exercise and being 30 is like being 20 except you should have a real job and money to do stuff. The women your age are just hitting thier sexual peak and the ones that rushed into lovely marrages in thier 20s are getting divorced and dating again. I mean my god i plan to be a beast of a manly man out enjoying life well into my 60s just like my dad and granddad, so you know, take care of your loving body and maintain a group of friends that you do poo poo with.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Gaz2k21 posted:

I did go bald but it's cool as I look pretty good bald and bearded

lol no one looks good bald idiot. there's a reason every youngish bald guy goes to the gym.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

Dolphin posted:

30 is that age everyone thinks is old until they hit 40 and wish they were still 30. No one ever feels that way about their 20's.

I hate to break it to you, but nobody that turns 40 wishes they were 30.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Ruby got Railed posted:

if you really honestly truly care about turning 30 then your doing it wrong. nobody gives a poo poo

16, 18, 21, sure, these actually open up new opportunities for normal people

next big number is 62.5 or 63 or whatever for social security

Forgot some:

25 -- can rent a car

50 -- first prostate exam

baw posted:

lol what kind of idiot loser worries about getting old

Mortals do. What are you?

:siren:vampire account spotted:siren:

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

lol no one looks good bald idiot. there's a reason every youngish bald guy goes to the gym.

yeah but you have severe autism and youre like a shut in OCD freak weirdo, so your opinion about whats "normal" is held in very little esteem.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Carwash posted:

Because being a buff bald guy is cool. No one wants to be a fat bald man or a scrawny bald man come on

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

yeah but you have severe autism and youre like a shut in OCD freak weirdo, so your opinion about whats "normal" is held in very little esteem.

why are u always so mean, clown? are you turning old too?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

mookface posted:

Because being a buff bald guy is cool. No one wants to be a fat bald man or a scrawny bald man come on

exactly

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Dr. Carwash posted:

the sole exception to this rule is bruce willis, dude looked retarded with hair

but most people aren't bruce willis

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Dr. Carwash posted:

I don't go to the Gym..........i go to TWO GYM'S!

well one's a dojo but whatever

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

So you do what you need to do to work your look

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

The Brown Menace posted:

the sole exception to this rule is bruce willis, dude looked retarded with hair

but most people aren't bruce willis

he had hair at one point in his life?

mookface posted:

So you do what you need to do to work your look

the baldness itself is bad and you compensate by going to the gym. kinda like how every short dude on my campus was jacked. being short is bad--->compensate by going to the gym.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I turned 31 last month.

I can't drink more than two double rum and cokes without getting a hangover. I have aches and pains which tell me that parts of my body are wearing out. I have a spare tire that could go on a dump truck.

I am happy though. I didn't have a memorable childhood, really. Nothing exciting happened there. My 20's were more about getting me out of my shell and growing out of being a little bitch baby, emotionally and mentally. I wouldn't go back.

The 30's are great so far! However, the monotony of the weekly grind can cheat you. If you start to feel like the weekdays are just write-offs and aren't valuable, you begin to wish away the work week in favour of the weekend/days off. You feel like you can only 'live' on the weekends. Imagine the depression you'll feel when you don't do anything special on the weekend either? Time slips away quickly this way and it's loving dangerous. Do something you enjoy every day, and also experiment to give yourself some exceptional memories. Think of it this way; assuming you have 2 days off per week, you have about 20 full weeks worth of days off (not including vacations), before you turn 40. That's 20 weeks worth of 'living' time. You will burn through that poo poo fast, especially if you squander it. Think about how fast a week's vacation flies by, and what you have to show for it at the end. Do you want to do that only 20 times before you're 40? No.

Keep doing awesome stuff every day, because you know that 40 means death. You have time, you've only lived about a third of your life - just don't fool yourself about how much time you really have.

Hope this helps!

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
jesus christ some of you lead depressing lives

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Safetyland posted:

I turned 31 last month.

I can't drink more than two double rum and cokes without getting a hangover. I have aches and pains which tell me that parts of my body are wearing out. I have a spare tire that could go on a dump truck.

I am happy though. I didn't have a memorable childhood, really. Nothing exciting happened there. My 20's were more about getting me out of my shell and growing out of being a little bitch baby, emotionally and mentally. I wouldn't go back.

The 30's are great so far! However, the monotony of the weekly grind can cheat you. If you start to feel like the weekdays are just write-offs and aren't valuable, you begin to wish away the work week in favour of the weekend/days off. You feel like you can only 'live' on the weekends. Imagine the depression you'll feel when you don't do anything special on the weekend either? Time slips away quickly this way and it's loving dangerous. Do something you enjoy every day, and also experiment to give yourself some exceptional memories. Think of it this way; assuming you have 2 days off per week, you have about 20 full weeks worth of days off (not including vacations), before you turn 40. That's 20 weeks worth of 'living' time. You will burn through that poo poo fast, especially if you squander it. Think about how fast a week's vacation flies by, and what you have to show for it at the end. Do you want to do that only 20 times before you're 40? No.

Keep doing awesome stuff every day, because you know that 40 means death. You have time, you've only lived about a third of your life - just don't fool yourself about how much time you really have.

Hope this helps!

BeanBandit posted:

jesus christ some of you lead depressing lives

Here's a horrible thing: I have three jobs. I don't even get weekends. Capitalism sucks.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm too lazy to go quote it but owning a house in the year of luigi 2014 isn't all it's cracked up to be anymore. You do it so you do all the dumb poo poo you want that you can't do in an apartment without losing your deposit, but you loving pay for it. I've made more trips to lowes in the last 6 months than I had in all the 31 years before in my life.

I'm in better shape at 32 than I was at 22 so being this age isn't bad so far. My sex drive kinda dropped though, I sorta miss it and I sorta don't... well I don't think this is entirely accurate I think I've gotten picky. I've gotten far pickier about who I hang out with too as I'm not a gently caress up but it seems 90% of the people I know are. I don't have the hangover problems the rest of you have so yay :unsmith:

If you're not 30 yet and reading this you better start working out loving now. You hit 30 and blowing off that poo poo is going to start creeping up on you.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I am 30, I really like my job in IT and get to learn/do awesome poo poo with computers because of it every day, I have a head full of hair, no gut, and still have sexual access to women in their early 20s through mid 40's, but I know that by far the most satisfying ones are in their mid 30's because they're definitely the most experimental and kinky, which means I won't give a poo poo when the early 20's ones stop looking. My friends are all smart enough to have lived at least into their 30's and 40's, and they all have their own money so vacationing with them kicks loving rear end.

If you work on yourself to always improve instead of being a whining defeatist who self-identifies as being old, you'll continue having fun and living a life you'll be proud to talk about at parties for a very long time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 13, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Safetyland posted:

I turned 31 last month.

Hope this helps!

That is a nice sentiment but a lot of times after turning 30, the weekends have to be spent doing work around the house (lawn care, fixing stuff, painting, etc.). I have two kids on the way (one we are adopting and one from my wife being pregnant) and I can't even wrap my head around how people have any free time at all. If you get home from work at around 6 PM, and your kid has a soccer game or something, the night is pretty much over (dinner then soccer then homework then prepare for the next day and holy poo poo it's 10 PM and I gotta be up at 6 AM). I dunno how people do it without massive sleep deprivation but I guess I'll find out. :toot:

Turning 30 is a great motivator sometimes (finish a degree you were working on part time, get in shape, learn an instrument; whatever). Really the only downside to it is being completely immobilized for 2 days when you go out drinking whereas in your 20s you can drink, stay up until 4 AM, then go to work like nothing happened. It's kind of incredible how it really does seem to change at exactly 30. If I go to a wedding on a Friday night I'm shot until Sunday. :lol:

LethalGeek posted:

I'm too lazy to go quote it but owning a house in the year of luigi 2014 isn't all it's cracked up to be anymore. You do it so you do all the dumb poo poo you want that you can't do in an apartment without losing your deposit, but you loving pay for it. I've made more trips to lowes in the last 6 months than I had in all the 31 years before in my life.

Owning a house can be a pain in the rear end but not being able to sleep because a neighbor is playing music or because they are walking around with boots on outweighs the downsides in my opinion. Also there's some parts of the country where it's barely more per month to live in a home than to rent. Like only a couple hundred dollar difference sometimes.

edit: also, if you are a new homeowner, the beginning part is the worst because you're constantly remodeling poo poo until you are happy. After it's all done the way you like the constant Lowe's trips and money spending calms down a lot.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 14, 2014

KierkegaardsHo
Mar 21, 2004

A misanthrope posted:

Here's a horrible thing: I have three jobs. I don't even get weekends. Capitalism sucks.

What kind of professional job requires you to work two others? I work weekends because I work for myself and, when it's all said and done, I'm a money-grubbing whore. But if I wasn't making a bunch of money that directly correlated with how much I worked, there's no way in hell I'd do it.

I used to work for companies and I absolutely made sure to be there as little as possible. Especially on salary. Hey, you guys made the mistake of paying me a flat rate with no possibility of sharing in the profits, now enjoy my flat loving level of enthusiasm about your company's success.

PS: 31 checking in. Which I guess means I've been raised by goons since I was 21. No wonder I'm so well adjusted!

KierkegaardsHo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 13, 2014

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

KierkegaardsHo posted:

What kind of professional job requires you to work two others? I work weekends because I work for myself and, when it's all said and done, I'm a money-grubbing whore. But if I wasn't making a bunch of money that directly correlated with how much I worked, there's no way in hell I'd do it.

I used to work for companies and I absolutely made sure to be there as little as possible. Especially on salary. Hey, you guys made the mistake of paying me a flat rate with no possibility of sharing in the profits, now enjoy my flat loving level of enthusiasm about your company's success.

Journalism. Journalists make high school dropout-level money unless it's a job with CNN or the New York Times. I also teach a journalism class at a state college and work as a barista. All of those combined give me the income I'm comfortable with, but I'll probably burn out or burn down the coffee shop soon so...

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Hey, consider this.

You will get to live every last one of those 30 years you've already lived again TWO MORE TIMES before you die, probably.

Enjoy it.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Im 29 so i know how you feel op. Time to start lying about your age because its all downhill from here man.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Wow, really sucks.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

KierkegaardsHo posted:

PS: 31 checking in. Which I guess means I've been raised by goons since I was 21. No wonder I'm so well adjusted!

So that's why I've become a mucky muck. All of this elitist goon entitlement. Do you have stairs in your house? :smug:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

A misanthrope posted:

Journalism. Journalists make high school dropout-level money unless it's a job with CNN or the New York Times. I also teach a journalism class at a state college and work as a barista. All of those combined give me the income I'm comfortable with, but I'll probably burn out or burn down the coffee shop soon so...

one of the few degrees where you get to work at a job that is relevant to your degree, but where you also have to work at starbucks

impressive

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

A misanthrope posted:

not bald, but i've gained weight from a slower metabolism and sitting in a cubicle.

unless i get cancer, that's never going to go away, is it? :(

*wishes for cancer*

start lifting

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm actually 28. I'm still a baby.

All you guys are old.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

The Brown Menace posted:

one of the few degrees where you get to work at a job that is relevant to your degree, but where you also have to work at starbucks

impressive

That's...actually a really accurate description. Are you a poor reporter too?

xov posted:

Hey, consider this.

You will get to live every last one of those 30 years you've already lived again TWO MORE TIMES before you die, probably.

Enjoy it.

If I live that long I'm going to be really mad.

KierkegaardsHo
Mar 21, 2004

Safetyland posted:

So that's why I've become a mucky muck. All of this elitist goon entitlement. Do you have stairs in your house? :smug:

Protected by my chair lift, man, it's like 18 steps, I ain't no spring chicken.

A misanthrope posted:

I can actually respect this answer, if you're doing it by choice, not by retarded life decisions.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Kyrie eleison posted:

start lifting

I do lift...my giant penis every time I tuck it into my pants.

(just kidding I have a shameful twig penis)

KierkegaardsHo posted:

I can actually respect this answer, if you're doing it by choice, not by retarded life decisions.

*winces*

e. In other words, it's the latter option. Someone thought it was a good idea to let a teenager decide what he was going to do for the rest of his life.

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 13, 2014

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

A misanthrope posted:

Forgot some:

25 -- can rent a car

50 -- first prostate exam

Mortals do. What are you?

:siren:vampire account spotted:siren:

35 - become President

so it is possible that Obama aint even had a finger up he butt yet

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

Owning a house can be a pain in the rear end but not being able to sleep because a neighbor is playing music or because they are walking around with boots on outweighs the downsides in my opinion. Also there's some parts of the country where it's barely more per month to live in a home than to rent. Like only a couple hundred dollar difference sometimes.

edit: also, if you are a new homeowner, the beginning part is the worst because you're constantly remodeling poo poo until you are happy. After it's all done the way you like the constant Lowe's trips and money spending calms down a lot.

Aye eventually I'll hit parity on it all but right now it's a bit of a grind. and not the fun MMO kind where I get to kill noobs. Eventually we'll have a huge privacy fence and a hottub and naked back yard time and it will be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Wait till you mother fuckers are in your forties. I'm seen so much porn that's hard to find anything these days to get a stiffy. Anything is old hat at this point. But in your 40's a stiffy is like a long lost friend you only see once in awhile.

As for home ownership, it can be a pain in the rear end monetary-wise, but I don't mind the labor. I see it as a hobby.

Another fun thing about getting older....
If your high school graduating class has a website and keeps a memorial list of those who passed away you can start looking towards the ever increasing numbers of dead classmates - cancer, AIDS, ATV accidents, suicide, drug overdoses, too fat to live, etc.

• Locked thread