Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I wonder if they'd put a straight-up Deathmatch mode in this game, where kills are what matter and the inking is just for strategic advantage. That could be a fun mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think my favorite mechanic that I've seen is the fact that you can be invisible if you stand still in your own ink as a squid. As someone who loved ambushing people as the Pyro in TF2, I can see this being my primary tactic.

Also, can you not shoot while walking through enemy ink? It always looks that way in gameplay videos.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Rookersh posted:

e: Also what is with the cat?

"TOP SECRET!"

No really, that's what they said. Certainly makes it sound like there's an actual story somewhere in this game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Internet Kraken posted:

The style of the game is really weird to me. Its odd to see a Nintendo game that's so...urban? I can't really describe it. Just something about seeing every character wearing modern clothes and moving through a city environment doesn't seem like the kind of designs they usually aim for. But maybe that's part of the point. It just doesn't really appeal to me so I can't help but be bothered by it.

The art style is really atypical for Nintendo in a lot of ways. If you showed me this game fresh and asked me who was publishing it, my first guess would probably be Ubisoft.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zaphod42 posted:

-Future DLC stages based on other Nintendo franchises! Pikmin, Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Kirby

I'll buy this Season Pass so hard if this turns out to be real.

Kinda sad there's no Red Team. I always like to be on Red Team.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you're doing pick up games, I bet it comes down to a vote, or randomizing.

I hope you pick it like you pick tracks in Mario Kart 8.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Technogeek posted:

I'm getting a W+M1 Pyro feel off the Roller: it has a pretty low skill floor, but something tells me the ceiling isn't much higher.

I think high-level roller skills are going to revolve around using Squid form to rush and ambush enemies. If you can get in close you'll get them before they get you.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If this was truly a server stress test I would consider it a ridiculous success by the standards online multiplayer shooter launches in the year 2015. I had connection hiccups a few times in the last 15 minutes or so and one game that dropped mid-match, but it was pretty smooth sailing for most of that hour.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

A big part of succeeding with the roller for me was figuring out when to just go "NOPE" and sneak off to find other poo poo to paint. I started cracking 1000 pretty consistently once started switching between hunting opponents and getting turf depending on whatever was most opportune.

Like, duels are fun and all but they're pretty much a terrible use of resources in this game.

Yeah. None of my best moments with Roller involved me killing or even seeing other players. They involved me charging into enemy territory when no one was around and painting over everything.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The lack of team communication means that calling your teammates to come to your side at a strategic moment doesn't really work. All you have is a "C'mon" button and it's really not clear to a new player what that even means. If I see it I have no idea if the person is trying to do something rad like bring us all in to pop the Bubbler or if they're just being a jackass and spamming a button.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dizz posted:

When did Bloopers become humanoid?

Age 14, apparently.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Unlucky7 posted:

So only 5 multiplayer maps at launch?

I understand that there will be post launch maps, and I am sold on the game anyway, but I suspect it will take a beating in the reviews for this. Unless the single player is substantial.

Seems like single player will indeed be pretty substantial.

But really, how many maps did TF2 have at launch? I don't remember it being that much more. Eight or so?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Any chance the squid language will turn out to be a cypher and actually says stuff?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Doc V posted:

100%.

"Squid Research Lab. SRL"

Looks like it's not so much a cypher as they just write the word in English/Japanese and then stylize the hell out of the letters in random ways.

Gonna be real interesting when someone finally does a YouTube vid of all the hidden messages in the final game.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't really get the 90s as heck comparisons but this game is really fun.

It's because people don't remember Jet Set Radio came out in 2000.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Kurtofan posted:

Getting a Rocket Power feel from it

No, this art style is actually pleasant to look at.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The inspiration for Splatoon is pretty obvious.

Keiya posted:

I'd kind of assumed the inspiration was Reverse Super Mario Sunshine...

This is probably the real answer. I wouldn't be surprised if more than a little of the tech from Sunshine went directly into this game.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 9, 2015

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I want a charge gun that's like a chargeable shotgun. Less range, but it hits a cone in front of you instead of a long trail.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

chumbler posted:

Anyone want to take a stab at what arbitrary rules Serious Competitive Splatoon will no doubt have? Only the basic equipment is the obvious first one.

1-hour draft/ban for every piece of equipment in the game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
First Splatfest should be Rice vs. Dogs.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I can't hear the word "Booyah!" without thinking of this Saturday Night Live sketch and that just makes it better.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The more I think about it, the more I'm surprised there isn't a kill-focused "Splatmatch" mode. I understand it not being the focus, but it would be an interesting way to change things up. You'd still need paint coverage to enhance your mobility, but you'd apply it strategically rather than aggressively.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Nintendo needs to sell water guns/toys based on all these things.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dastardly posted:

All clothes were unisex in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

That's a bit easier because you're literally just swapping heads. The male and female Inklings have different body shapes and animations (however slightly) so even if they wore the same clothes, they wouldn't be the "same" clothes. Usually in wear-stuff-based games this means the male and female clothing options end up stylized slightly differently, because you're having to model it twice anyway out of necessity. Sometimes this is taken to rather...non-progressive extremes, but it has a reason, at least.

EDIT: Hmm, or maybe they literally are just head-swaps. I probably shouldn't study this too closely or I'll end up on some kind of list, but I assumed they were slightly different models.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Cabbagepots posted:

Christ, this makes Splatoon the second game of theirs with a post-apocalyptic setting (other one being Pikmin). Nintendo's venturing into dark territory, their core racket might be T-rated games pretty soon.

It could also be that Inklings evolved from humans, or perhaps ALL the crazy animal-things evolved from humans.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I want to try Paint Roller + Bubble because at that point you're basically just playing Pac-Man.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm Using Tilt Controls

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

FilthyImp posted:

Fox Squids
One Tentacle Morning
Squids WB

The Marvel Action Hour with Squids

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It's honestly not that great a jingle.

To be fair, though, I don't envy the marketing team that's asked to summarize the concept of this game in 30 seconds.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If this old ad tons of people hated taught me anything is that the Squid-Kid commercial will over time only become more and more adored in retrospect.

Like seriously almost every baby gamer hated "Clean is better than dirty" back in the day.

I'm imagining some hipster nerdcore band getting on stage at Magfest 2035 and getting riotous calls of "PLAY 'YOU'RE A SQUID, NOW!' HEY! PLAY 'YOU'RE A SQUID, NOW!' FROM THE COMMERCIAL!"

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 16, 2015

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I guess somewhere along the way Nintendo forgot how to make good commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqVVG4FCq7w

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Crasical posted:

I wonder if Nintendo is just feeling the hype and running with it or if they really want this to be the big new IP?

Nintendo's pushing this as a new IP harder than anything since Pokemon Red/Blue. Not that I mind, because it seems to fully deserve the hype from everything we've seen.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
For Smash, I think Inklings would work better as Assist Trophies than playable characters anyway.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Silentman0 posted:

All of the scrolls have been leaked, and most of them are just goofy world-building. However, in the last 5 you unlock, [BIG-rear end SPOILERS, SERIOUSLY] it reveals that rising water levels wiped out all land-dwelling creatures on Earth long ago, which you probably already figured out from the Wii U scroll. The last two reveal that Judd is the last living Earth mammal who was cryogenically frozen from current day. loving Nintendo, goddamn.

I remember I once saw a documentary show about how nature might reclaim the Earth if humans went extinct. One of their theories was that octopi might be the next creatures to evolve human-level sentence and take control of the world. I wonder if one of the devs saw the same thing.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Lots of Nintendo games have tragic backstories.

Luigi's Mansion? An entire extended family died in that house.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

DalaranJ posted:

You don't even want to know the sordid history of Captain Toad.

You really don't.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

I like the Inklings better, but these guys are pretty great.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is the target splatoon squirt gun an actual pre order bonus or one of those things that will happen to be available in limited quantities on the day of release, in store.

edit: jesus christ why the gently caress is target's preorder system so hosed up. can't select in store pickup for preorders online, and you can't preorder in store unless it has a card available for it on the rack.

Can you back-order a pre-order card through the website?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The soundtrack immediately makes me think of Uniracers, with a bit of Mario Paint/Warioware mixed in.

Probably getting a WiiU just for this game.

The song linked earlier just makes me think of Comic Jumper, although I guess Comic Jumper was more trying to parody that style of music.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Violen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=306RNpQoTfw

The great mystery of squids in school uniforms has been solved.

SPOILERS it just changes between a boy's and girl's uniform.

Surely now the world can breathe again.

I kind of assumed this is how it would work, since it's...y'know...a school uniform and all.

But this also confirms there will be clothes that significantly change in style between genders. I trust them to be more responsible with this than World of Warcraft, at least.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that there will be options for putting dudes in dresses somewhere in this game if that's your thing. If not in the base game, in the many years of coming DLC after it's become clear there's a desire for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Rabelais D posted:

Not really much of a "global" stress test, as where I am (Hong Kong) it started at 6am on a Sunday.

i'm interested in the game, but not enough to miss out on my weekend lie-in. It is therefore kind of depressing to see that the servers still couldn't cope. What's the deal with one hour here and there anyway? How much can you really test on a global scale in one hour?

It's to encourage as many people to be playing at one time as possible. It's not meant to simulate the actual stress the servers will be put under. It's more of a "worst case scenario" where everyone logs in at once for some reason.

• Locked thread