Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Do any of the other console games have the equivalent of Splatoon's gyro control scheme? If not, then I sure hope as hell other devs follow Nintendo's lead in adopting it! Joystick aiming sucks serious salty takoyaki. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Roland Jones posted:

Man, the Splatoon videos on YouTube have so many thumbs down. Did Nintendo piss off a bunch of angry nerds or something? I mean the songs aren't great but they're meant to be silly and stuff, so I don't know if that's the cause for >50% thumbs downs.

I don't seem to browse the same youtube videos like you, since my videos have about 1% thumbs down. Are you sure it isn't more to do with stupid youtube personalities?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I want a Splatoon t-shirt. Why can't I have a Splatoon t-shirt? Curse these regional barriers!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Guess I'll get that Inkling girl amiibo then. :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm gonna be all about the blaster and jet squelcher in the final game.

Can't wait. Thursday? Sweet.

The release is on friday. :ssh:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

evilmiera posted:

That really the music they're going for? Somehow doesn't seem fitting. Not that I mind a little rock here and there.

Seems appropriate to me, since they're pulling influences from the 90s street fashion and all. Maybe Splatoon will single-handedly bring grunge back. :v:

EDIT: Goddamn you, america.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 25, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Keiya posted:

New York, not America. 99.9% of America doesn't get it either.

Well that changes everything. Not. :colbert:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I am so hyped by the hype machine that I'm seriously considering buying the disc and eShop version. Please tell me this is a bad idea.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I'm reasoning it that I'll give away the disc copy to some close acquaintance sometime in the near future, so I could continue using the digital version. Hence I'm spreading the gospel of Splatoon in the process.

I'm so messed up by it, I don't even know if I'm a boy or a squid.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, I made up my mind: I'll just buy the eShop version, since I'll probably play it anyway until they switch off the servers for good. (Also 10% bargain bonus.) But to compensate I preordered a pair of Splatoon-amiibo(s?).

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Zaphod42 posted:

Not sure I see the point of the .52 gal since I don't speak Japanese.

Like some kinda magnum? Looks like it fires slow and doesn't do much for paint, so does it just do a ton of damage to players or something?

If you can one-shot rollers with it then that's totally useful. If not I don't see why you wouldn't use a faster firing gun like the splattershot Jr.

I think where it potentially shines is when you use it with the ink curtains(?) - since you can shoot through it (but not your opponents) it works as a defensive close-range area control weapon.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Is someone unironically playing a FPS with the joypad? Especially after experiencing the gyro controls?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
God drat you early birds, I have to wait TWO MORE DAYS.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
What, and not get the bonus t-shirt? Come on now.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
As soon as I get out of work, I'll paint the town red. And Blue. And Pink. And orange. And...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Games > Splatoon: YLLS approved

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
That's what you get for playing outside normal hours, I guess?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I hope you guys realized that Splatoon is for babies. :colbert:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, I'm level 10 now. Won some, lost some while trying out the weapons - closest win was with a 0.1% margin. I don't think you can get any tighter than that.

What I've essentially found out that you can't really use only one particular weapon on all the maps. In that sense the map rotations are there to make it easier for you to pick the right kit. I did find some weapons that warm my three hearts, like that long range splatter that has the same range as your common charger.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Regy Rusty posted:

There are a lot of variables and it depends on whether you have a good team and also how familiar you personally are with the weapon you're using. Like right now I'm trying to learn how to use the roller effectively but I'm pretty bad at it so I'm losing a bunch.

So you're the one making me lose my games! :argh:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I find the skateboard park fun - frantic and open spaced mayhem with platforms to snipe from.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Countblanc posted:

You can adjust the sensitivity

I don't think any sensitivity setting helps to fix twin sticks controls on a FPS.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I tried switching to the charger weapons lately. Snipers can easily be one of those players who can decide the outcome: Depending how my gyro aim is at some rounds, I can control the enemy movements easily by sniping away all those unexpecting squids. Hanging around the platform in the center area of Overpass gives me a clear view of both entrypoints. Although - if you tend to miss shots, you're next to useless if you haven't mastered inking areas with the charger. Combining those two you can easily cop +700 points per round.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Alabaster White posted:

Is that with or without win bonus?

Can't remember, but given enough time, I could probably get there even without it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need all the Splatoon merch in my life asap

I'll be happy just having a (decent) t-shirt.

I already have the Splatoon 3DS-theme and amiibo(s) anyway.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Ugh, had a nasty loser streak going on. Charger-type weapons require some level of markmanship, and I just wasn't leveling it. So I switched style and picked up the Blaster. The fact that you can hit 'em even behind corners and under platforms with area damage makes it an ideal weapon to clear out nasty ambushers in the vicinity. It's also a drat good close quarter weapon since one direct hit knocks them out. The sub is somewhat useless, tho'.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I had a match in the Rig where the splat zone changed hands constantly. It was so close Judd gave us extra time to give the decider. (Apparently if the timer runs out but you control the zone, the clock keeps ticking - if you control long enough to pass the other team, you win. You can guess what happens if you don't.)

This is suddenly a new game altogether, with intense close quarter combat and maneuvering. And I love it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Oh yeah, if you don't manage to knock out the opposite team in Ranked Matches, they also get points at the end.

Also love the new harbour map. Lots of long corridors - just the right wideness for my ink curtains.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I did notice that turf war had a lot of under level 10s. Like, I was the only one above level 10. Turf war is fun, yes, but ranked battles are quick and intense. Speaking of which, I had a blast playing overpass with my .96 Gal gun. The sprinkler that comes with it helps to keep the zone occupied, while the echolocator keeps the teams eye open. drat that gun is good.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Kurtofan posted:

Did they update the splatzone to 2 zones?

Nope, it's different on maps. Some have only one, others have two zones.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Anime Curator posted:

can you splat a kraken or are they invulnerable

Pretty much invulnerable, except if they fall to their doom. It's better to keep your distance and bounce back at them when they turn to normal.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

noirstronaut posted:

Can an American use Japanese characters in their ingame name?

いいえ、バカが偉人さん。

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Splat Zone in Overpass is pretty brutal. If you're not quick, you are in a serious disadvantage because they can essentially lock you out of the center area. Better know your specials!

I made this

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Aerosprayers might vow to their weapon of choice, but ranking matches needs support weapons, and the .96 Gal is my weapon of choice when it comes to that. The main itself is a beast of a gun with it's range and power. The sprinkler sub is an effective way to take or hold a zone while you concentrate on gunning down your opponents. The echo locator however is the most essential special, since not only do you know the exact location of the enemy but your team mates also see that. That makes things a bit easier for you and your buddies.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

I do wonder how much damage ink on the ground contributes to that. There has to be a reason why there's an ability to resist ink on the floor.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Discovered a new way to counter Krakens: Stand on metal grid platforms. They can't follow you there. For they are squids. :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Nooo, noirstronaut is on a tainting spree!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Played a session today. Tried the chargers for a change, and I'm... doing ok? Sometimes I'm hitting the top, sometimes I'm the lowest. btw, you can use the charger as a semi-automatic to splat your opponent if he's too close. The custom with the sprinkler is a great way score points.

Rapid blaster on the other hand: What a load of garbage that gun is. I want my (game) money back.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Tengames posted:

All I want is the ability to choose what ink colors I can be. Why is this not a thing? I don't mean color lock, I mean an option to select out of all available colors my team can be and which ones the enemy team can be.

We don't discriminate between colours. :sharpton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Worst Girl posted:

So I can't stand the motion controls. The camera feels like it just sort of floats around, and my arms get in awkward positions when I use it. I was much more comfortable with the sticks, but when I switched back to those, they started to feel weird.

I kinda get what you're after. The way I'm using the gyro is like the pad is the inkling's torso that orients itself to where I'm aiming - so to speak. I then use the left stick and y-button to reorient my character's body. Maybe a bit awkward, but at least I can quickly turn to shoot players behind me if need be.

• Locked thread