Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I hope we can do custom ink colors

I want customization, but ink colors seems like a bad idea. The current ones are great for a lot of colorblind people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

C-Euro posted:

This looks pretty cool but I'll be a lot more likely to buy it if it has local multiplayer. Which, given the push to give it some good Gamepad features, seems up in the air. Not that taking advantage of the Gamepad is bad.

Also the art style reminds me of Despicable Me, which I really liked so that's another point in its favor.

I can't speak for the future, but I think they could easily do a 4 player split screen (probably with notable fps drop though like in Mario Kart) if they kept a translucent minimap in the center of the four screens. I know some other games have done this, and the map doesn't have to be particularly detailed - the only thing that matters is the color and your teammate's positions. You'd have to macro the "jump to a teammate" command to a button, but that could be as easy as making it so when you hold down left trigger and press one of the four face buttons you warp to the respective player's position.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hahaha this thread

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

zolthorg posted:

If there are multiple forms of paint roller I hope there actually is a really slow one that does lots of contact damage.

Doesn't look like any of the sub weapons do damage though.

I'm pretty sure the game kills you after a single hit, regardless of the weapon. The reason to use a paint roller over a sniper rifle or whatever (mechanically, at least) is because it's huge and always active, unlike the guns which hit a pretty narrow range in front of you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Super soaker kills in 3 and jr kills in 5 or so

Oh sorry

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FilthyImp posted:

Folks not turning off the motion controls, or people that don't Shootmans and just wanted to ink the squid out of things??

But inking is how you get lots of points

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Something keeping the Roller from being M1 Pyro (or perhaps limiting other weapons to roughly that level) is that most of the mobility options are available to everyone. A lot of the reason pyro was mediocre in TF2 was because you were just sorta stranded on the ground in a game where the strongest offensive classes could run 25% faster than you, fly through the air like jackasses, or just have 50% more health than you while hoovering up a lot of medic attention. The Roller can move around the level as quickly as any other weapon can barring unpainted vertical surfaces (and those can be scaled with relative ease).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rocketlex posted:

I think high-level roller skills are going to revolve around using Squid form to rush and ambush enemies. If you can get in close you'll get them before they get you.

That's high level every skill

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Final test is in ~2 hours, right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jarogue posted:

HELL YEAH Ninja Roller.

its this actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XAt_a5H2CA

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kurtofan posted:

Getting a Rocket Power feel from it

Well there was a character literally named "the squid"

e: drat i'm owned

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem is that Zelda was never meant to have a continuity; Link is like the Dread Pirate Roberts. Its a legend passed down but different dudes take up the name over time.

But then turbospergs couldn't handle that and demanded a canon so Nintendo gave them one.

Boy howdy did they give them one :stonk:

lol if you don't think there were already a bunch of nerds working at nintendo who had all that in their headcanon and were ready to puke it out onto paper.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Silentman0 posted:

I really hope the update that brings lobbies kickstarts some sort of weird pro scene, I'd totally watch tournaments of it.

Wait this game doesn't have lobbies? lmao

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

zolthorg posted:

The game has lobbies/ "servers" with shuffling teams like CS or TF2, it won't launch with team on team mode iirc.

I assume you can, like, group up with your friends before queueing, right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Black Mage Knight posted:

It seems like they want to keep things feeling like a much more social experience rather than just additional modes.

Nothing says social more than not getting to play with the people you enjoy being social with

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Caring what a fandom is doing is like the most boring opinion ever

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dizz posted:

You mean the smash attack thing? I try to but it's difficult to properly aim it so that the ink hits enemies.

Its just a shotgun dude

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there a list of all the weapons in the full game/what they do?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sade posted:

You only have so many man-hours and so many dollars to throw at the development of a game, and since the wii u is mostly a local multiplayer box at my house I'm a little disappointed at the lack of local multi content, but I can also understand their wanting to get the online experience 1000% nailed down before release. That's clearly the most important thing to the game's survivability, and if the test fires are any indication they've loving nailed it.

They didn't get their online experience 1000% down though; People here were saying that you can't actually lobby with friends for several months, and your only option to play with them is to join off them once they find a game and (a) hope there's slots, and (b) hope it puts you on the team you want. Which works kinda passably though really not if it's just two people, but if you want to play with more it gets increasingly dumb. Game still looks cool but yeah, no lobbies has already got two of my friends to pass (for now) on picking it up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you haven't played Double Dash with at least 10 people irl then you need to get your life priorities in order.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

Whelp Nintendo is playing the squidkid ad in theaters, and whether you hate it or love it you gotta admit it works.

For the rest of the previews some little boy behind me was having the time of his life until his mother put an end to it

:haw: : I'M A KID! I'M A SQUID! I'M A KID! I'M A SQUID! I'M A KID! I'M A SQUID! I'M A KID! I'M A SQUID! I'M A KID! I'M A SQUID!
:j: :You say kid or squid one more time and we're leaving
:ohdear:

Strong mom.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

evilmiera posted:

That really the music they're going for? Somehow doesn't seem fitting. Not that I mind a little rock here and there.

Edit: Glad to see this is getting a lot of buzz, at least. Hope it gets purchased so we actually see some new IPs from Nintendo.

I wish there were some more ska since it fits the aesthetics but the current music all seems good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Not even squid ink ice cream? Lame.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So Hatred comes out the same day as squid game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zaphod42 posted:

Or you can turn around and look at them? Situational awareness is important in shooters and I find it much easier to look around than to glance down.

The only thing the map is really useful for is noticing if somebody in a corner of the map far from you is covering up all your poo poo, and you can check that every so often when you die. And the idea here is that if you were doing offscreen, you could pop up a map to check too. It wouldn't be that different from looking down.

I like how you guys are simultaneously arguing that not having a menu screen you can look down at would make players so bad they hold their teams back, but at the same time having an on-screen map would be too good because having to look down and not be able to see the action is an inherent design to make it harder to keep track or something. :v: which is it?

This is a game where little kids are going to spray ink at people and most of them won't ever look at the gamepad. If you're approaching this like you're about to go to an MLG tournament that's the wrong mentality completely.

Reminder this is a game for kids-squids-kids to have fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCqj2qsZnx8

Jesus

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reiley posted:

I don't care what anyone thinks...... the game is designed for Complex adult brains. this tyranny of fools will not take Bright Colors away from us yet again

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I love the #brand!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are those guns going to be paid dlc? I assume not because lol unique dlc weapons but that's what my mind snaps to when I hear the phrase "dlc"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I mostly just want the paintbrush though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jivjov posted:

I don't believe those have been announced to be DLC; they're currently amiibo only.

That's what he meant

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jivjov posted:

He said they were paid DLC..which they aren't. There's no downloadable component to them.

Oh my god

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

This kid appreciates the importance of the salty runback

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

chumbler posted:

That 10 year old girl is approaching the game with more maturity and tactics than 90% of the 40 year old men who will be playing it.

Ok

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Is there a reason I'm getting paired with only top level Japanese players

It's because you're very good, maybe best in NA.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How much stuff do you get from beating single player content? Is it faster to play multiplayer to get stuff or is it actually unique to each mode

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dont think I've seen a team without a roller beat one with one barring those teams that have 4 rollers for some reason.

Also dear nintendo I don't mind waiting an extra minute or two to fight people who live within 700 miles of me, i promise

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

da anime bulldog posted:

I'm happy with what we have. It's just good simple fun.

Die

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Infinitum posted:

:siren: All squids and/or kids report to #splagoons on SynIRC :siren:
:getin:

I'm going through this thread now to compile your Nintendo IDs into a document.

- Countblanc
- USA #1
- Roller or anything with the forcefield subweapon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mabels big day posted:

the thing i like least in this game is the double splats that always happen when two rollers collide. such a pointless exchange. really goes to show the nihilist philosophy of this game.

It's weird how many people seem to actively want the trade. Like I'll be staring down another roller and go to flick paint with the R tap but they'll just roll right into me. I can't tell if they're psychic or just don't care that it trades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mabels big day posted:

i think its really based on the situation. there's a lot of times i trade with someone and i look at where we are on the map and i decide if it was worth it or not. for example, if the roller had just tried to get into the territory i just inked up, and my trade stops him from getting into that area, then it's worth it

Yeah of course, not all trades are created equal. I just avoid other rollers when I use that, though I've been using .52 and Blaster lately anyway. Blaster gets lots of cool kills but it's getting tiresome being in third place of the winning team with like a 10-1 ratio since it barely paints at all compared to the smgs or roller.

• Locked thread