Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Pavlov posted:

That might have something to do with why he seems so uncomfortable with personal sexuality.

Him and Allison are truly a perfect couple.
He has no idea where one mind begins and the other ends, and might end up getting lost in a discussion about last nights Game of Thrones thanks to neighbors.
She's terrified she'll slip for even a second and level a city block.

:allears:

That said, I just got into this comic and I absolutely love it. The fact that they've had her be wrong, unsure, or just plain conflicted makes the character likable. We're not told "Hey corporations aren't people!" followed by a CEO wringing their hands that they must destroy this Mega Girl.

I will say it can be a bit...blunt at times. But there are times it's appropriate (the main character being an invincible superstrong college student, and all), and I definitely like that. I like that the main character is flawed. We don't see the morally righteous hero standing up to a bigoted crowd by politely asking them to move back. She hurls cars and threatens to violently murder everyone if they don't gently caress right off.

As for the beginning of this arc? I can totally see it as being "murdering someone, no matter how awful they are, is wrong". I can see this tying into Allison's apparently televised speech that she wasn't sure if no one was coming to arrest her for what she said because she was unstoppable or because she saved the world so much. A vigilante hero who figures they "deserve" to kill people they find morally disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

She doesn't have an obligation to do anything, but if there's one thing we've seen about her it's that she's unable to not involve herself in stuff like this. She's not going to just let Moonshadow murder someone and then stab someone else right in front of her without doing anything about it.

And yeah, it does kind of feel like a deliberate challenge.

Not to mention regardless of what she does, the media's gonna have a loving field day. So she might as well try to help.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Even escaping the planet won't work for everyone if she's snapped hard enough that "get the gently caress out of here" is literally their only choice.

She can't fly, but I'm pretty sure she can throw a pebble faster than a howitzer shell.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

VanSandman posted:

I mean, the guy could be totally vulnerable to basic bullets. You know. Like a normal, non-firepowered dude.

I dunno. It takes a LOT of balls to shittalk someone like Alison on live TV several times.

He's kind of banking that anyone would say something if she threw a pebble through his skull at the speed of sound.

Anyway to repeat a few, he has a point that accusing people in the media is basically signing a death warrant. It's too bad his crazy rear end goes off the rails and veers away from an actual point (like "So don't make this poo poo televised until the killer is apprehended") and right into crazy freeper rear end in a top hat ("so if I see you standing up to your attacker I'll loving kill you")

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

I remain convinced that he's trying to lead her into a thought process he wants.

Every time she asks him something, he seems to deflect and then move on to another subject. Like he's trying to funnel her into a direction he wants. I really think he's either dodging questions in advance, or he's trying to lead her into agreeing to help him with something terrible by figuring out the best way to handle it. Find out what she'd do with these loaded questions, then figure out the best way to ask for help with something she'd never help.

Or poo poo maybe he's trying to pull a SMBC and have Alison power an energy source for as long as she can without exhaustion.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

To be fair, that sounds just as egotistical as Patrick to assume no one could stop him.
Alison LITERALLY could not be stopped.

All it takes is someone willing to pull the trigger instead of listening to Patrick psycho-babble about their fears.
EDIT to clarify: That sounds like the kind of egotistical thought Patrick would have. Not to say you're egotistical :v:

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Why for? I think i've been enjoying it more.

I'm withholding judgment as of right now, because at the end of all this, this might prove the writers did an amazing job of making Patrick talk a maze around Alison so she would hopefully forget her initial question and leave all distraught that her wonderful boyfriend isn't a genius, and just has his head up his rear end. Or the writers just had a really big binder of Patrick's backstory that they wanted to infodump and this gave them that opportunity and it's really hack-y.

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh give me a loving break, obviously he means within the last few generations. Christ, you're like the guy who hears someone say "They decimated 'em!" and says "Oh, so they killed one tenth of them? :smuggo: :spergin:"

Jeez.

To be totally fair, Patrick has all but proven himself to be the type of person to both mean "since the 16th century" and also would correct someone on the definition of decimate.

I would not put it past him that he's just hoping no one else will catch that and just trust him.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 18, 2015

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Same. This is completely at odds with earlier behavior of his, his consideration for Feral's mental privacy, deliberately stopping Allison's rampage, etc.

"Because it amused me to do so"? That's not really how he rolls. He's acting like this on purpose but I'm not sure why.

Edit: Like, he literally just got done, in this very conversation, calling himself in his Menace days "a mentally unstable teenager".

If I hadn't read the pages before this where the writing took a steep nosedive to info dump Patrick's past, I'd be right there with you saying "This is too unlike him".

But right now I don't care what happens so long as we get out of this loving office and on with the actual story that kind of screeched to a halt for a month and a half.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

This B-plot overtaking the A-plot is fast eroding any sort of interest I had for this comic or praise I had for the writer.

Holy poo poo, I just want to get back to something interesting. Anything but Patrick whining about why murder is okay but please don't arrest me for it.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

I wasn't completely agreeing with everyone at first, but it's been almost 14 pages since she's arrived at the office, and nothing of consequence is happening, and I don't see anything happening except maybe they stop being friends, and we're probably going to get another two pages of this.

This thing needs a "Gets out of the office" email notification sign up.

"If you want Alison to continue listening to Patrick wax poetic about the nature of human life and cry about how his powers make him unable to stop listening like any normal human being with normal levels of normal hearing can do, press A!"
"If you want her to return to her attempts to figure out who is funding her friends murderous crusade with a quickly diminishing list of reasons why someone is allowed to be killed, press B!"
*Leper Residue presses B*
"You have selected...A!"
"No I didn't!"
"I'm almost positive you did!"

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-131/

She's gonna fracture the dam by landing on it and killing everyone in every village downstream.

Yeah, unless she aims straight down, she's an unbreakable missile right through the dam fired at mach something.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Wittgen posted:

It wasn't her bag. It was breaking the sound barrier.

I think it happened because Alison not having full mobility with both arms is actually a serious liability going up against invisigirl.

This chapter's pacing isn't too slow. It's too crowded. The flow between scenes is not elegant.

Even with her arm being busted (seriously, though. How? I get the dislocation; the joint itself is no stronger than the connection. But that should be a simple "pop it back in" fix), Mary has no chance if she's dumb enough to be anywhere within the vicinity.

Even if Alison DOESN'T want to bring down the dam (probably a bad idea), there's plenty of ways to get a totally normal person out of hiding when you have superstrength. Just stomp your foot, for one. Not even enough to damage the dam, just enough to shake the room (and concentration).

But, no, this arc is all about philosophy that goes nowhere, means nothing, and completely upends character motivations because we need to pretend anyone here is morally grey. From the girl who is a firefighter because she cannot be burned to the serial killer who only targets men who assault or rape women threaten to assault or rape women drunkenly assault or rape women take a stance against serial killers.

With no exaggeration, her stance has really gone from "Understandable but still a crime" to "pretty much just a run-of-the-miller serial killer".

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Axiem posted:

I'm trying to understand why one would build a building with a door that literally opens onto a giant concrete cliff, without some sort of warning on the door. Or nearby. Or lights that work.

Eh, there's plenty of good reasons as to why that is the way it is. She might've had them removed, it might be a "false" door (make a wall on a catwalk, put a door, take down the wall) or something.

It doesn't HAVE to be a mysterious "door to nowhere".

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I doubt he will be, the author transfers the moral idiot title to whomever is talking to Mega, so it's Moonshadow's turn to be a crayzee monster.

I dunno, man. I have a bad feeling this is gonna turn into some crazy "the ends justify the means" talk. Like, every woman BUT Alison seems to be of the opinion that whatever Mary is doing she should be left to do it because "gently caress them".

I know it won't happen, but I really hope Tuesday is just Alison saying "Yes." And flying off, while Mary looks completely awestruck that Alison didn't fall for her attempts to goad her into sticking around so she can cut up her victim more.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like people are really overselling the dip in quality this comic is experiencing just because it gave us one long, slow, talky, disjointed chapter.

It's a pretty big dip in quality.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

The best part is that Moonshadow sounds like the most anti-feminist supervillain ever.

"So there's this woman who basically blames all of lifes problems on men, wants to kill all men, and insults/demeans anyone who disagrees about men being literally evil".

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

The only thing here I don't get is the second to last panel. Is Mary down there and she's been cut? Is Mary using an illusion to make him think Alison is Mary?

It's a shrapnel bomb, so she likely got hit.

If she's trying to misdirect, she's probably gonna be disappointed to find out Alison is fireproof.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Zerilan posted:

I didn't notice that reveal before and imo it just makes that scene worse in hindsight.

Honestly it kind of dumps all over the storyline in general.

It's eye roll-y enough without "No but see the real question is IS SHE STILL A CRIMINAL!?"

And the answer is a resounding yes. I'm pretty sure we heard about Alison arresting criminals, not murdering them, for poo poo as heinous as giant robot death squads.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I am incredibly disappointed with this 'twist'

I get this sinking feeling it's little more than the writer thinking "How do I make Moonshadow look like the victim after becoming a serial killer?" and their best idea was "Have Furnace blow up a dam."

EDIT: And she's STILL at fault because she's the one who drugged him, dragged him there, strapped a bomb to him, and then planned to kill him the second anyone tried to save him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I still really like the idea behind this webcomic. But it no longer grabs me, or even has anything which interests me anymore.

Yeah, time to delete my bookmark and move on.

I really liked the idea when it started. Alison wasn't the end-all be-all "I'm right" protagonist. Others argue with her and bring up good points ("Yeah it's easy for YOU to advocate pushing for less worrying about our own safety. YOU'RE invulnerable. The rest of us have to be careful regardless of what we teach people"), and there were some great moments that drive home how silly being a "superhero" can be sometimes (a punch-drunk unstoppable tank trying to rebuild a busted playground with no knowledge of building ANYTHING).

But now it just feels like this whole arc has been one long "WE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO KILL RAPISTS, Y'ALL" to pat Mary on the back and I feel like it's gone from taking a stand that "things are complex, it's not always black and white" to "I'M RIGHT LISTEN TO ME I KNOW MORE THAN YOU"

EDIT: Which makes Mary's actions all the more baffling. It feels like she was made into less of the straight-up villain halfway through. She slashes an innocent persons femoral artery to get away, kills a bunch of random hired mercenaries (yes, literally all of these hired guns is a rapist. I checked), kidnaps and drugs someone and straps a bomb to his chest and THEN insists she was only gonna kill him IF he was guilty? That's my big problem is that no one is treating this like a drastic disconnect and something to be concerned about so it's not like they're playing Mary off as somehow unwell or something.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 11, 2015

• Locked thread