Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Alternately, either of them could be the vigilante throat-slasher. Her taking out frustrations, him doing the ugly right thing that somebody's gotta do. ...or is it only young folks who can be biodynamic? I'm not 100% on the superpower rules of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

This, and later on Miles yelling about Allison being a monster, took me right out of the scene. Who would act this aggressively to someone everyone knows is basically in invincible superwoman? Like, I honestly cannot tell if that was meant to add some moral ambiguity or whatever that Allison used an amount of force that tells everyone in the room that she could kill them and there's nothing anyone can do, or that he just talks back to her because he's a bad rape-man and calls her a monster because she's a good guy and that's what bad men do or whatever.

I'm not asking that rapists are written with sympathy or empathy or whatever, it's more that what would have felt like a natural and believable scene suddenly isn't because Allison is there and people talk like she could just kick 'em of the roof like it's no thing but don't act like it? It just made the entire scene feel fabricated and took me out of it is what I am saying.

Anyway my money is still on Paladin being the mystery vigilante, but Allison will initially suspect Moonshadow only to have her accuse Allison of having a holier-than-thou attitude or something.
But Allison doesn't look threatening. If she was in costume, carrying a gun, or otherwise embodying the trademark symbols of danger, I doubt Miles would pushed his luck. Even after she's just picked him up like a toy, she still doesn't code as 'nightmare' to anyone in the same way knife-hands McCancer does. She looks like a thin college student of the sort no one pays much attention to.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think they still really have no idea how dangerous she is. They act like it was a party fowl, like she punched him in the neck or something a normal person could do. Only one of the bystanders seems to realize how effortlessly Allison could wreck their poo poo. Miles is just a fratboy with injured pride, talking big without realizing how much trouble he's in. He - and larger society in general in this world - has not truly connected 'near-massacre on the news' with 'tiny blonde student.' When he has time to think about this later, he is going to poo poo his pants.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, don't forget that Alison arrived to the superhero theme party she was specifically invited to by leaping onto the roof like a boss. Everyone watched. Some even took pictures. Maybe this dude has some severe mental retardation or short-term memory loss, but at one point he definitely knew that she was extremely biodynamic, even if he wasn't aware she was Mega-Girl.
Shoot, you're right, I had forgotten she mega-jumped her way in there in a splashy way.

I still maintain that there is a common mental disconnect between how dangerous she is and how society perceives her. Allison's talked about it with Feral and Cleaver - how because they look scary, they get treated worse despite Allison easily outshining them both in threat.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Hollismason posted:

You know I didn't ever realize that this was written by a man, which explains a lot. I always thought the creative team was the other way around. That a guy drew it and a woman wrote it.

This explains a lot.
Could you elaborate on this?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Alternately, the commando guy in the background still wearing his mask is Patrick.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I, too, support the execution of those who cut me off in traffic. A society of trigger-happy executioners is a crime-free society.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I now just imagine that guy showing horrible news stories to everyone that comes in his office. Seriously, who the gently caress does that, here let me shove this in your face.

Ugh, that's so awkard...
Oh, just because I forgot to teach my classes and spilled coffee on your laptop and then failed you, you think you've got problems? Well, mister, let me show you someone with REAL problems.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

My assumption is that the government knows exactly who did it, and doesn't want Megagirl to get involved. If she and the country argued about what to do with a murderer, the country would lose.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think they're external hard drives. He's a piece of software running on the human gestalt OS, and he's accessing their business experience and know-how for his dark goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I have to say though I have mixed feelings about this. Is Patrick being written out of the story here? Seems like a sudden, jarring way to do it.
Yes. This is clearly the moment at which the love interest of the comic, introduced early as a pivotal supporting character, is completely abandoned. Also the end of the Illuminati super-killer plot. Why not the end of the comic as well?

Seriously, this is clearly leading to some kind of actual honesty from Patrick. He is going to have to say something heartfelt and without calculation to try and win her back. I agree that this this scene has gone on a bit long, but it feels necessary for the larger metaplot, of which vigilante slasher-lady is only a part.

• Locked thread