Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This whole thread is becoming one big [citation needed]. If you're going to claim e.g.

Brought To You posted:

False rape accusations are not as uncommon as you might think
it'd be nice if you actually had a source. Right now you're just using meaningless weasel words with no backing of any sort.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Brought To You By posted:

Works Cited:
1. Real life
2. Real Life
3. Real Life
4. Real Life
5. Real Life

Not cited here:
Real Life

Look I get it, I'm clearly not the most popular girl at prom here saying some of the things that I am. But please don't pretend that this topic as so one dimensional that there cannot be other factors at play. Even if it's a statistical minority False rape accusation do happen and if anything, their frequency of being reported in increasing meaning that something else is going on with this whole phenomenon.
Five incidents isn't a significant data point. Nobody is saying that false rape accusations don't happen.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yes, it would have been more ballsy not to paint him as a huge prick who beats his wife.
Yeah right now it's hard to feel upset about him dying because he's a bad person in addition to the whole judge matter. A bad person did a bad thing and they were punished. If he had been an otherwise good person, it would have been interesting. His death would have been more jarring if it hadn't been a lovely wife abuser getting his throat slit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

nimby posted:

Sonar is probably tier one in that he can hear a pin drop during rush hour. Perhaps hear a punch coming and dodge (most of) the blow.

It's just that bullets travel faster than sound.
Just because you can hear (or see) punches coming doesn't mean you can dodge.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MikeJF posted:

Spider-man would probably be Tier 1, but then again Spider-man never uses his full strength.
Didn't someone control Spider-Man and punch a hole in someone by mistake? Maybe it was someone else.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Also if she has that visual smear, it's possible that supervillains/well-equipped criminals would be able to detect or see her if they knew she was around. Random people who aren't expecting her wouldn't be alert or knowledgeable enough to keep an eye out.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Still sticking to the theory that her ability is telepathic based. But her knife is interesting. It doesn't look like any kind of metal and it's a single continuous material.
Could be ceramic. Ceramic knives hold a really good edge (which is basically required because they're really hard to sharpen) and won't trip metal detectors, which can be useful if you're going on a vigilante killing spree. They're brittle, though--they slice better than they would stab, I imagine.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yes, the alt-text that's always either author comments or a joke is definitely a giveaway of what's about to happen next.
Did you even look at the alt-text for the latest page or did you leap at the chance to make a snarky comment? Or was your post some sort of meta double sarcasm or something that went over my head.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Her glasses make it look like she's making a ^_^ face in the last panel.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hell, Moonshadow might just want to see Allison take some heat and feel the burn. And she also gets to kill a guy, which is well-established as something she's big on.

Remember, there's bad blood between them even if Allison only recently heard about it.
Why did Moonshadow hate her? I can't remember.

e: Was it because Mega Girl was too strong and Moonshadow kept getting shot and stabbed?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Carrasco posted:

Huh. Is she covering for Moonshadow to try to investigate on her own, or is she not totally sure it was her? Covering seems to make more sense, but if that was the case she probably wouldn't have suggested "it's gotta be a high tier invisible".
I think she's grasping at straws and doesn't want to believe that Moonshadow would actually become a serial killer.

vv: :agreed:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 27, 2015

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That's about as long as every Harry Potter book put together. A 1,500,000 word first draft sounds like a pretty daunting task.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wittgen posted:

The doctor mentioned her scar was rejecting absolutely everything. If her anomaly can reject uv light, I think it can reject poison. I really doubt poison gas would work.

She might need oxygen, so strangulation is possible. But how are you going to keep her from oxygen for the several minutes it would take her to pass out? As soon as she starts feeling short of breath, she just super leaps to safety. Perhaps an elaborate trap could snare her, but it would be tough.
Nitrogen gas (or hypoxia in general) will generally make people die before they think they're even close to death. It also reduces your mental capacity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr753w

e: To be clear, nobody dies in this video.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hollismason posted:

Well even in Issue 1 when Allison fought Cleaver she straight up told him their powers were getting stronger, so I'm wondering what that meant for Patrick?

Like how do read minds more, or whatever.
Did it apply to everyone or just her and Cleaver? It was way too long ago and I don't remember.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
She wandered off during a tour of the dam and was struck by the opportunity for a no holds barred game of truth or dare.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This comic got so loving dumb. Why is any of this even happening the way it is.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hypocrisy posted:

I know people are desperate to hate this comic but the degree which some people are refusing to comprehend very basic concepts in order to find something to complain about is really weird.
I don't mean the last few pages, I mean the last three dozens pages. Or five dozen or however many I've thought it was overwrought stupidity for. Not really sure why I'm still reading it, so I might as well just stop.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Flesh Forge posted:

Iunno I figured she was clearing debris or something, it didn't bother me that much.
She was building a new dam like a super-beaver

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Landeric had an avatar of that bear with the crown. They made one of those dumb alignment grids with 9 goons, and put themselves in chaotic neutral, the favored alignment of cool dude internet wildcards. A bunch of people made fun of him and then he left and posted on SS about how he hated SA or something. SAclopedia article

If you take the alignments to be what people were saying, his avatar is where chaotic neutral would be.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I vaguely recall there being several good artists working on The Trenches, getting shoehorned into making more of the established, rear end-ugly art.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Has the author been to a college, ever? You'd basically be guaranteed to have someone put down a white stone, so the best course of action is for everyone who's able to put down a white stone. I knew a couple of people in college that would have put down a white stone just to be mean, not to mention the people who wouldn't pay attention, or the people who would just selfishly play it safe (this would have been me). If the next page is something about the system is flawed so you need to change the system instead of just trying to work within it I'll vomit

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bruceski posted:

On the other hand, I know people who would assume others would put a white stone, and still place a black one out of protest. If you abandon an axiom the moment it's inconvenient then it's not an axiom, and the corollary to "we're all in this together" is "nobody has to go through it alone."

I think what the teacher is SAYING is fine, but something about how he's drawn makes me read it in a comic-book sinister, sarcastic tone. Like there's a constant smirk behind his beard or something.
I guess I'm saying that Allison is hopelessly idealistic; the fact that she's at all confused that people put down white stones makes me think she's somehow ignored everything that's happened in her life. She's spent the entire comic complaining about stuff like this, why is she so shocked that people are self-interested?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Axiem posted:

I really hope the professor runs the experiment again, with Allison being "ready", and someone in the class still puts down a white stone because they don't want to take a chance that someone else won't. Leading, of course, to the Lesson that the only way to get everyone to work together is to be a tyrant.
I like how she says "I'll be ready," not "we'll be ready." I realize she says that just after "we will all work together," but I'm choosing to interpret as her gut response admits that she'll just strongarm people into doing the right thing.

Although she's kind of nuts, has previously threatened to kill an entire crowd of people, and has the ability to do so, so I'd probably just do whatever she said

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

What kills me aren't the terrible names themselves, but the one they settled on doesn't rhyme with the rest.
The n's are silent

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I hope the gas-person's power upgrades and turns them into plasma, burning through their little containment suit and killing them as they dissipate. I hope the fish-lady literally turns into a fish and suffocates. Maybe there'll be a hero with gravity powers that uncontrollably creates a black hole, destroying the earth and ending this comic. What the hell does "make other kids more powerful" even mean when superpowers are so varied?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
"Why do you make me hurt you? This is your fault."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

GodFish posted:

I don't see how Max's power is really a threat to the illuminati or whoever anyway. If someone's power wasn't a threat why would making it a bit stronger make it suddenly dangerous?
Max's power is really vague, so it's hard to tell. There must be some threshold at which they'd kill someone (curing all diseases vs. curing everyone's cold), and if his nebulous ability upgraded someone over that threshold, suddenly they could become a target.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Are we finally going to find out what Max's power actually does? I like how it almost seemed like Allison was going to have regrets and find absolution at the bottom of the bottle but I guess she just got over violently kidnapping someone right quick. I guess Allison might know the specifics of how his power worked--she read his dossier--and it wasn't uncertain how it would turn out?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Stormgale posted:

This is going to be something dumb like she made a catatonic organ factory using feral's powers or something.
Maybe it made her regenerative powers so strong that she heals faster than doctors can do the surgery and Allison completely hosed up Feral's plan. But probably not.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
"Exciting" news!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This is stupid :toot:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

It's one of the things that rankles the most about the last two chapters. Characters doing bad deeds and being portrayed as the real victim in all of this. It's the Dominic Deegan Noble Rapist all over again.
I hope that panel portrays her battling with herself about whether it's just to <trolley_problem> and deciding that she has both the right and moral obligation to flip the switch, since it could make the comic more interesting.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also strapping explosives to people and drugging them impairs their judgement.
But at least blowing up a dam is, at worst, a moderate inconvenience to a handful of people.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Wow, turns out people are appreciative of superhero Jesus sacrificing her body and life to save thousands of people. What's the point of this page? I know it's a common issue that x-times-a-week comics suffer from slower sections making it seem like pacing is worse than it is, but there has to be something that happens this chapter.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 15, 2016

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Wow that is a lot of tears.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Unlucky7 posted:

Serious post, do you think a blood choke could incapacitate Alison?
As she's invulnerable to almost all blunt/edged weapons, I'd expect that she'd be invulnerable to a chokehold, since you need to be able to exert enough pressure on the arteries/veins to actually stop the bloodflow. I don't know if the comic has touched on poison/suffocation at all. Pumping her room full of nitrogen or nerve gas while she's sleeping might kill her, but the full extent of her psychokinesis isn't clear. Maybe she'd unconsciously will herself awake and fly through the wall to safety.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Who What Now posted:

Best loss edit yet

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 27, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
"Try them dumplings, they real good" two speech bubbles before "they're all rich and dumb." Is Feral supposed to have accumulated brain damage or something? Her "accent" isn't even consistent over the span of a single comic.

e: She talks nothing like her first appearance, where she basically just had a Southern drawl

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This page made me laugh; the last three panels were funny. Better than the average page, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Their relationship being ~too perfect~ is a complaint that I haven't seen. The complaints are that he's a boring, milquetoast character that just sort of drifted into a banal relationship with Allison. Also his hair is weird.

• Locked thread