Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

EndOfTheWorld posted:

It's one of the things that rankles the most about the last two chapters. Characters doing bad deeds and being portrayed as the real victim in all of this. It's the Dominic Deegan Noble Rapist all over again.

At least Mary, with as many problems she and that entire storyline, completely owned her broken ideas. It would be a lot more interesting if Alison was tripping over herself trying to justify kidnapping and coercion, possibly leading up to a breakdown, instead cutting away to her occasionally and having her look sad.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

EndOfTheWorld posted:

It's one of the things that rankles the most about the last two chapters. Characters doing bad deeds and being portrayed as the real victim in all of this. It's the Dominic Deegan Noble Rapist all over again.
I hope that panel portrays her battling with herself about whether it's just to <trolley_problem> and deciding that she has both the right and moral obligation to flip the switch, since it could make the comic more interesting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Avshalom posted:

throwing fair-trade organs at the man

new thread title please

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Max will kill himself.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I can't believe I kickstarted this garbage. I thought the whole point was that superpowers didn't actually make the world better but ha, gotcha, turns out violence and a deus ex machina libertarian fixs everything.

What a waste of money.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Okay so I'm reading the beginning of this thread and everyone's praising it to the skies and now everyone's making GBS threads all over it. When did everyone turn on this comic? Is the beginning worth it even if it gets bad eventually?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

whowhatwhere posted:

Okay so I'm reading the beginning of this thread and everyone's praising it to the skies and now everyone's making GBS threads all over it. When did everyone turn on this comic? Is the beginning worth it even if it gets bad eventually?

It's fun to be mad at a webcomic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

whowhatwhere posted:

The first three chapters are relatively coherent. Set up the world, the basic premise ("could superpowers actually help society, and if so, how?") and a conclusion with Feral's sacrifice that, while far from flawless, look like it had an actual idea on what would be truly superheroic.

Then they ran out of ideas. So chapter 4 is filler about dad's cancer, chapter 5 jumps the shark, and chapter 6 jumps a sharktopus.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Paladinus posted:

It's fun to be mad at a webcomic.
I love to mock bad webcomics as much as anyone, but honestly this isn't fun for me. I think it's because I was genuinely interested in this, it was okay for a webcomic and it had potential and then it went to absolute poo poo. It was at least trying to do something with its premise and now... I honestly have no idea what happened to the writer. It's like he jumped off a cliff with the wishy washy rapist killing chapter and the utterly bizarre social justice scenes which I still don't know if we were meant to take seriously or not ("the word body triggers me, no one is allowed to use it ever" wtf) and now the ruination of one of the few actually interesting arcs in this comic.

It's just so disappointing, really.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

whowhatwhere posted:

The turning began when the authors did a really long awkward chapter about murdering rapists that had no pay off and no one learned anything.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nuebot posted:

The turning began when the authors did a really long awkward chapter about murdering rapists that had no pay off and no one learned anything.

You were supposed to learn that rape is bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also strapping explosives to people and drugging them impairs their judgement.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

It was really the last chapter that turned a lot of people. The series unfortunately peaked with Feral's chapter, and then there was another chapter that wasn't as good, but was completely inoffensive. Then Chapter 5 happened and what could have been a good idea was marred by really poor dialogue, a very confusing stance on whether or not murdering rapists was good or bad, and flat characters. The chapter ends with the author not really punishing Mary for her actions, or providing a solid voice to talk-down her ideals. Of all the conversations about what Mary is doing I remember only Furnace opposing the actions but then the series cuts his legs from underneath him by presenting the idea that he himself may be a rapist.

Now in this chapter we have Allison trying to find a magical quick fix solution to a problem when the series has spent years telling us that this should be impossible. Then this chapter provided the series with it's Loss.jpg/jazzhands moment and the thread completed the transition to a mock thread.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also strapping explosives to people and drugging them impairs their judgement.
But at least blowing up a dam is, at worst, a moderate inconvenience to a handful of people.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Avshalom posted:

blushing virgin clevin

mods please rename me

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I am curious if anything actually happens with that doubt in the last panel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Discendo Vox posted:

I try not to be the sort of person who gets annoyed at fictional cartoon characters but these "oh no Allison feels kind of bad" panels are getting real annoying. Especially since nobody actually believes any of the downer endings brought up in this thread have a chance of happening (what someone brought up about the buff being temporary would actually be kinda clever, since it would explain why Max didn't want to use his power at all: once you help someone, you have to help EVERYONE. At all times.)

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 30, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Elysiume posted:

But at least blowing up a dam is, at worst, a moderate inconvenience to a handful of people.
why exactly did she take him to a dam anyway, obviously she thought he was an irredeemable piece of poo poo so should have understood "hey you'll kill yourself and all these people!" wouldn't be much more of a deterrent than just "hey you'll kill yourself!" so just putting him in a secluded bunker somewhere rigged with explosives would have been just as effective without endangering any other lives. as it is she comes off looking like she actually wanted to blow up a dam for no reason and therefore like a psychopath, which against all my better judgment i have to say isn't what the author was going for, and the last minute handwave of "oh all that land happened to be totally uninhabited" hinders more than it helps. incompetent webclevin

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Avshalom posted:

why exactly did she take him to a dam anyway, obviously she thought he was an irredeemable piece of poo poo so should have understood "hey you'll kill yourself and all these people!" wouldn't be much more of a deterrent than just "hey you'll kill yourself!" so just putting him in a secluded bunker somewhere rigged with explosives would have been just as effective without endangering any other lives. as it is she comes off looking like she actually wanted to blow up a dam for no reason and therefore like a psychopath, which against all my better judgment i have to say isn't what the author was going for, and the last minute handwave of "oh all that land happened to be totally uninhabited" hinders more than it helps. incompetent webclevin

uh clearly everyone who could possibly have been harmed by the dam blowing up were actually rapists

yep, all of them. Every single one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Discendo Vox posted:

Well obviously a hiatus and a new chapter

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Mazerunner posted:

uh clearly everyone who could possibly have been harmed by the dam blowing up were actually rapists

yep, all of them. Every single one.

a god dam rapist

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WELL WELL! This might be going somewhere interesting after all!

allison's depowered oh nooooooo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

WELL WELL! This might be going somewhere interesting after all!

allison's depowered oh nooooooo

Everyone seems to be leaping to that conclusion for no real reason when it seems more likely that the doctor specifically mentioning "can't force you" made her realize that oh yeah, she assaulted a man and forced him to do something against his will.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hospital food, am I right?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
No "good" deed goes unpunished.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Everyone seems to be leaping to that conclusion for no real reason when it seems more likely that the doctor specifically mentioning "can't force you" made her realize that oh yeah, she assaulted a man and forced him to do something against his will.

Hey I've said before I have a lot of dumb ideas so the odds favor me :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Hey I've said before I have a lot of dumb ideas so the odds favor me :shrug:

Honestly you're probably going to be right. They'll just suddenly reveal that Max actually transfers powers, not flat out powers up people and now OH NO Alison is normal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See, THAT might actually go somewhere. If you had to trade "I have superpowers" with "Someone else can supply all the world's organ transplant needs basically forever" that's a slightly interesting ethical dilemma. Actually no it's not, it's an automatic "lol duh of course I want superpowers"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nuebot posted:

Honestly you're probably going to be right. They'll just suddenly reveal that Max actually transfers powers, not flat out powers up people and now OH NO Alison is normal.

Max's power's already dumb, so I won't be surprised if it gets even dumber.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
It's obviously morning sickness guys.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trast posted:

It's obviously morning sickness guys.

:vince:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Why did she even admit to having a hand in Feral's new condition? She already knows that people's abilities are evolving and getting stronger . She herself is proof of that so it's not outside the realm of possibility that the same would happen to Feral. All she has to do is sit back after she forced Max to do his fireball trick and show up a week later acting surprised.

Not that I don't mind seeing her actually grapple with this mindset but this scene shouldn't have to happen at all. Now I'm surprised why they aren't questioning her harder since she just ensured enough organs to apparently change the status quo literally overnight. This is something that is going to demand investigation, security footage is going to be analyzed, Feral's room is going to be cased by forensic teams trying to find traces of what Allison might have done. They will probably have someone tail Allison and start going through her recent history to try and figure out how a college student was able to manufacture a process that could enhance another person's ability.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Brought To You By posted:

Why did she even admit to having a hand in Feral's new condition?

Alison is not a smart person.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna say that's a good old-fashioned guilt puke. Truly, Alison is the victim in all this.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why did she even admit to having a hand in Feral's new condition? She already knows that people's abilities are evolving and getting stronger . She herself is proof of that so it's not outside the realm of possibility that the same would happen to Feral. All she has to do is sit back after she forced Max to do his fireball trick and show up a week later acting surprised.

Not that I don't mind seeing her actually grapple with this mindset but this scene shouldn't have to happen at all. Now I'm surprised why they aren't questioning her harder since she just ensured enough organs to apparently change the status quo literally overnight. This is something that is going to demand investigation, security footage is going to be analyzed, Feral's room is going to be cased by forensic teams trying to find traces of what Allison might have done. They will probably have someone tail Allison and start going through her recent history to try and figure out how a college student was able to manufacture a process that could enhance another person's ability.

You probably put a lot more thought into this than the author did, just fyi.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought that she was just getting sick at the idea of having to notrape that guy again for the good of humanity.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I kind of wonder if the writer has an ongoing kickstarterish thing where you can throw enough money at him and he'll adjust a character/plotline to your liking.

It would explain the ridiculous heel-turns semi-popular characters did for no obvious reason.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

It's the same reason she came up with Project Valkyrie instead of going to quietly go work with disaster relief/charities that work on building infrastructure in developing countries in a capacity where she would be helping build things but get none of the credit. It's hard to tell whether it's bad writing or if she can't stand to not be in the spotlight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

You probably put a lot more thought into this than the author did, just fyi.

Can a mod make this my forum signature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm reposting this from the last time "but why did Allison do this?" was discussed over in the webcomics thread.

Mikl posted:

Re: SFP, you know what would be better than her being a firefighter, or a glorified Uber driver? International rapid response rescue team.

Have a group of superheroes on call. There's an earthquake somewhere? That idiot British teleporting dude bamfs to the location with a hero that can fly and who scopes out the situation, then he bamfs back and forth to bring heroes to the scene. Pintsize shrinks down and checks out where people are trapped under the debris, then Alison lifts the debris for rescue.

Hostage situation? Get some heroes who are really good at sneaking in unnoticed to neutralize the bad guys.

Severe weather? Fliers carry civilians away from danger, while strong dudes lift trees and boulders to keep the streets clear.

All you need is a central organization for logistics.

There are literally a million situations where she would be more useful but get none of the credit.

Her whole thought process seems like it's striving towards a single end goal: "Allison Green saves the world." Which is at the same time very similar but not the same as "the world is saved".

• Locked thread