Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eh, I disagree. If you're stronger than anyone else in the world there's no reason not to use that strength to make things better and scare lovely people. It's not like the broke the dude's neck, she just scared the hell out if him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man where is this whole idea that she used some kind of overwhelming force on this dude coming from? She didn't even leave any temporary injuries much less anything lethal or permanent. She just picked him up by his neck, big deal.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

A big flaming stink posted:

but seriously even if all four of them were stone cold rapists that doesnt mean its a good thing they got murdered

Maybe not, but they were stone cold rapists (3 out of 4 at least) who got away with it completely scot-free, so I don't really mind that they all got murdered. Kinda fine with it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Lots of mutants get a pretty poo poo deal with their super powers. Like half of them are just "is a little bit better in a combat situation than a normal person but looks all hosed up and weird and everyone's scared of them"

Or like that one guy who's super power was to have two faces instead of one face. Kinda a bummer to be him.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man how great would it be if this comic ends with Allison murdering every single person in the government and like half the population of certain states and then there's a 20 year time skip and we find out that that's really all you needed to do to fix America and everythings awesome now.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pavlov posted:

I really hope she just has a good sense of humor and didn't just pull a serious "all men are rapists".

Man I can't believe that there are people who actually managed to read that line like that. She said that because "boys" carries an connotation of innocence to it, whereas "rapists" does not, which makes it more accurate.

Jackard posted:

Also this

"You think the police would let me just run around killing people indiscriminately? That's their job!"

Well that one's for real, but she lives in America so it's mostly pretty accurate.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

thatbastardken posted:

I guess it's worth noting that extrajudicial killing of rapists isn't likely to have any kind of positive effect on rape statistics, instead making it more likely that rape victims will also become murder victims. I'm pretty sure Moonshadow has already figured that out though, and just doesn't give a poo poo.

It stops repeat offenders pretty well, I'd say.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Opposing Farce posted:

It's pretty clear Moonshadow means both of those comments in semi-jest; they're negative and cynical in a facetiously exaggerated way, but there's a bitter ring of truth to them. Is killing people indiscriminately the police's job? No, but when they keep murdering unarmed teenagers for no reason it sure starts to seem that way. Is the line between "boys" and "rapists" so thin that the difference is little more than a technicality? No, but when 97% of rapists never spend a day in jail, it's hard ignore how easily the former might be the latter. Moonshadow's making a joke, not a stating a literal fact or presenting her actual unironic beliefs, but there's a nugget of truth in there all the same.

I brutally murdered and severely overcomplicated the joke by explaining it, but this really isn't a difficult thing to see.

Jesus fuckin christ, some of you people really can't read at all. She means the four boys she killed. Not the entirety of all boys ever. This is so friggin obvious, the opposite makes no sense at all.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wittgen posted:

Healthy people do not self righteously kill people who are helpless to stop them.

Why not? What does the victim in question being able to fight back or not have to do with whether that person should be killed?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

Without due process, there's not very much difference between murdering people for crimes they may have gotten away with or killing them because they were rude in a convenience store.

Cat Mattress posted:

Basically, this. If violence has to be committed, it has to be done so by the state, in a legally sanctioned way, with rules governing how it is applied.

Due process is kind of a failed idea, though. These are all people who got away with the poo poo they do and would have continued to do so in perpetuity. The American justice system is fuckin useless, and relying on it to make the world a better place is outright foolish.

Moonshadow's doing way more to make the world a better place than Allison is.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

idonotlikepeas posted:

The line "besides, you know why this is happening" suggests that there IS a specific thing she's killing them for here, not just generic war crimes. I'm going to go out a limb and bet that they raped someone.

"Generic" war crimes, huh? I guess lots of people think it's okay to murder a bunch of innocent civilians as long as they're brown people who live somewhere else. Makes sense that that's why so many people are against what she's doing.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 30, 2014

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Haha yea, I'm sure that's what you meant. As long as nobody important sees you do it it's okay.

I also like how that post seems to imply that rape is worse than killing a bunch of people. I bet next you're gonna post about how terrible it would be if someone found and summarily executed that cop who murdered that black kid in Ferguson and is going to receive no punishment other than paid vacation for doing so.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well if you guys are really dedicated to this particular stupid thing to argue about he did say one of the bloodies governments in modern history, and being 4th out of 196 qualifies pretty well for that.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wittgen posted:

I don't know. Patrick is using it as a strong rhetorical point to justify his actions. Exactly how much he is exaggerating is worth considering.

Even if you take him as not exaggerating at all, I'm not sure his point holds up. He said Nagasaki and Hiroshima puts his death toll to shame, so let's assume that means something like twice as many deaths as he caused. Which would put him at 100,000 deaths caused. That doesn't seem unreasonable since his actions caused the US to adopt martial law, necessitated total evacuations of cities, and who knows what else. That's way less than the 500,000 Iraqi deaths on America's hands, and America has done plenty of other bad poo poo besides Iraq. But America represents 300 million people. How many people were in Patrick's organization? 1,000? 10,000? Given his heavy use of robots and super powered individuals, I bet it was less. In terms of murders per member, Patrick's organization is probably near the top in the annals of history.

I don't say this trying to excuse America's crimes. I just think Patrick's self righteousness is a bit laughable. Implying he's considered really bad because more of his victims were white and English speaking definitely plays to Alison's social justice cultural leanings, but come on. When you have to compare what you've done to the nuking of Japan to make yourself look good, you've done some seriously lovely things.

Murders per member is pretty irrelevant, it doesn't matter how many people were a part of the US government when they dropped A bombs on Japan, there were only a few people actually in charge of making that decision anyway. The same applies to pretty much every ridiculous clusterfuck of a war going on in the middle east, not to mention the cold war proxy wars. Hell, the war on drugs is probably a bigger atrocity overall than whatever Patrick did.

e: I also highly doubt 100,000 as a plausible number, just based on people's attitudes towards him and the way he and Alison talk about the past, but there's not really any hard evidence in the comic either way.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 20, 2015

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You don't have to be particularly smart to make it through high school without ever being challenged by your schoolwork, you just have to:

1) Pay attention a bit in class
2) Not have ADHD or dyslexia or something
3) Have an easy enough life in other areas so that schoolwork can be given an appropriate amount of attention

Alison's not really that smart (she's not stupid either), she was just born into circumstances that allowed her to do well in school.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why do you guys care so much about the length of a chapter? I mean it's a webcomic, the only difference between chapters is that there's a page in between them that says "chapter" on it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

So wait, she's been killing dudes around the country? All that travel is expensive and time consuming. You'd think that somebody would notice all of that.

If I could turn invisible I wouldn't pay for plane tickets.

If I could turn invisible I wouldn't pay for much, honestly.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zerilan posted:

The main thing that still bothers me about the flight is that the scenes with Brad/Hector/Patrick all involved the limitations/drawbacks of their powers, and going back earlier in the story Cleaver's powers evolving is causing his own power to slowly kill him. Meanwhile the strongest hero just gets more cool stuff.

Um I think that's the point. You may have heard the word privilege before?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They don't build dams to withstand temperatures of like thousands of degrees. I get that you guys are real mad about a slow paced chapter or something but some of you have been grasping at some pretty weird straws to complain about.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Minor cameo in the comic was a kickstarter reward tier.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea cancer is a bit more complicated than "blow up all the cells in that tumor, then it'll stop spreading, then it's cured!"

Some cancers are stupid babytime cancers with like a 98% survival rating if treated in time, but pancreatic cancer is deadly specifically because people very rarely know that they have it before it reaches the late stages at which pretty much any cancer has a 5-year survival rate of about 5% or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's pretty easy to get tired of goons doing that thing where it becomes cool to dislike a thing so they try to find things to bitch about every aspect of that thing even if they don't understand what they're talking about. It happens with like almost everything.

There's plenty of things to complain about in the comic without having to advertise the fact that you've never been on a date before.

• Locked thread