Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Brought To You By posted:

The flip side of this is that men are almost universally always guilty until proven innocent when it comes to sexual assault and rape cases. You can't deny that the media and fiction demonize males as the eternal rapist and it's sexist. False rape accusations are not as uncommon as you might think, and there is little to no legal action taken to address the people who do make them until they establish a pattern of being a repeat offender. Lives have been ruined because some people lie and it shows some of the flaws in our legal system when these cases are not properly investigated and victims testimonies are valued more than other forms of evidence.

Works cited:
1. reddit.com/r/mra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Her name's Graveyard (it's in the alt text and I think Patrick mentions it at one point). No idea what her powers are, but some of the dialog later on makes it sound like she and Cleaver usually operated as a pair.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 19, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Tollymain posted:

I think Feral metabolized that poo poo super fast. So, she just drank more and faster :pseudo:

I imagine the hangovers would be short but excruciating.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think it's fair to say that it's likely (but not certain) that there is some kind of anti-Alison contingency plan. That doesn't mean they've got Alison-killing poison or a team of assassins on tap or anything wacky like that, it just means in some filing cabinet in the DoD there's probably a folder with some report in it that says "here's what we do if Alison goes nuts and starts wrecking things", and most likely the plan is going to involve containment or imprisonment as a first option. This is just something governments do when there's a huge potential threat out there. It's like having a backup plan for what to do if France or Pakistan loses its collective poo poo and starts firing nuclear missiles at us or something.

Not gonna lie, I like the thought that there's a glass case in the DoD somewhere labeled "break in case of France."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Apparently positive social change begins with choking people! Okay yeah I don't care to be dogpiled for not liking a scene in a webcomic so maybe this thread is not for me. Hugs and kittens dudes!

Alison lifted the dude by his shirt collar, which ranks pretty low on the scale of 'violent acts' in the first place (especially when you take superpowers out of the equation), at which point the comic spent a full four pages (which is a very long time in terms of comic real-estate!) analyzing whether or not her use of force was justified or necessary, a question they basically answered with "it's not that simple." I'm not sure why the message you're getting out of that is "violence is the answer" but you're missing the point by a wide margin.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-5/page-20-3/

Take a look at the page again her hand is around his throat,and above his shirt and his face is turning red. It could be embarrassment/anger, but it could also be that she's cutting off the blood flow to his head. I think it fits for her to go a little to far. Allison has little to no experience solving "normal" crimes and this is what she thinks is an appropriate way to interrogate a source. I don't know what kind of training or oversight she had when she was working for the government, but she is a violent person who likes solving problems with violence, so it's not surprising if she uses more force then is strictly necessary.

Fair enough. I misremembered the panel and didn't look closely enough when I went to look it up. Still, I maintain that the party scene and the especially the scene right after are pretty clearly meant to underline a lot of moral ambiguity, and Flesh Forge is taking the exact wrong thing away from it if he thinks "violence is the answer and everyone but Alison is wrong" was the intended message.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 18, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

McSpanky posted:

And Patrick is both more motivated and far better equipped to investigate it.

I'm pretty sure that's what he's been doing during all of those shadowy secret phone conversations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

The gas mask suggests to me those balloons are filled with something particularly unpleasant.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

It's pretty clear Moonshadow means both of those comments in semi-jest; they're negative and cynical in a facetiously exaggerated way, but there's a bitter ring of truth to them. Is killing people indiscriminately the police's job? No, but when they keep murdering unarmed teenagers for no reason it sure starts to seem that way. Is the line between "boys" and "rapists" so thin that the difference is little more than a technicality? No, but when 97% of rapists never spend a day in jail, it's hard ignore how easily the former might be the latter. Moonshadow's making a joke, not a stating a literal fact or presenting her actual unironic beliefs, but there's a nugget of truth in there all the same.

I brutally murdered and severely overcomplicated the joke by explaining it, but this really isn't a difficult thing to see.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 17, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

^This is my take on moonshadow's statements as well. If she had a bone to pick with all men; than all of those mercs would be dead and covered in paint and confetti. All she is doing is dehumanizing her victims by using their crime as a justification for her actions against them.

She's doing that, yes; "It's rapists, not boys." What people are getting hung up on is the sentence immediately after that one: "It's tricky, but there is, technically, a difference," or in other words

Opposing Farce posted:

the line between "boys" and "rapists" [is] so thin that the difference is little more than a technicality

Of course, you're probably not meant to take that statement at face value, because context tells us she is making a joke and does not actually have a vendetta against all men. Like I said this really is not hard.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 18, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

True dat, I'm gonna gently caress up a bell pepper for my salad later. Also what's up with people saying human life has equivalent value? I definitely would put posters in this thread's lives at a higher value than that guy who shot up that island full of kids.

Even the most despicable piece of human garbage has the right to live. They don't have the right to hurt other people, and if somebody presents an immediate threat to others and the only way to stop them is with lethal or potentially-lethat force, then killing them may be necessary, but just because something is necessary doesn't mean it's right or good. You could argue that because the justice system failed to prosecute the rapists there's no way to make sure they don't hurt somebody again except for a vigilante to take matters into their own hands and kill them, but hoooo boy does that take you down some real dark roads real quick (vigilante justice starts to look a whole lot less appealing once it's pointed at people you don't think "deserve" it). That's also explicitly not Moonshadow's motivation; she's executing them, and if you don't see why a vigilante appointing herself the sole arbiter of who deserves to live and who deserves to die is a bad thing I don't know what to tell you.

(See, it's kind of like how executions by the state are a bad idea, except it's more arbitrary and there's even less accountability.)

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm actually willing to even oppose the idea that criminals getting off on technicalities is wrong. When people talk about "technicalities", what they mean is generally something like "the police didn't follow the rules when they collected evidence and it got thrown out of the trial". In that case, if the evidence DIDN'T get thrown out, the result would be that all police everywhere would just start ignoring those rules. Letting criminals go in that case is an integral and important part of our justice system.

I agree, but I think in this case I think "technicalities" was a poor choice of words. Sometimes guilty people go free not because of an inherent and necessary slant in the system but because of flat-out corruption and prejudice (and sometimes innocent people are declared guilty for the same reasons), which I think is what the comic is really trying to address: rapists going free because society believes rape is something only done by sinister strangers in dark alleys, war criminals going unnoticed by the justice system because we don't care when awful things happen to people in Iraq. The answer to these problems isn't vigilante justice, which is a terrible idea for a whole host of reasons we've already covered (and more besides), but they are problems. Having a fair justice system means we need to make concessions, and I'm as against throwing that out in the name of "getting our man" as you are, but I don't think that's the issue the comic is raising here.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 1, 2014

• Locked thread