Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
keep in mind her freakout at the hospital was caught on camera and im sure clips of her threatening to murder everyone in the crowd have circulated widely.

alison is a pretty cool girl but the only thing that stops her from killing everyone around her is her own sense of right and wrong which probably feels pretty flimsy when her hand is around your throat

e: not to mention that poor vending machine

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
but seriously even if all four of them were stone cold rapists that doesnt mean its a good thing they got murdered

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Im going to laugh my rear end off if she actually got the black eye for non-DV reasons and the IVS just decided to go gently caress-it murder mode

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Carrasco posted:

You know, it's really odd that the essay used as narration earlier was the origin of the gods when this character is such a perfect fit for the story of the Furies. Believing that blood could only be repaid with blood, being relentless and insatiable, avenging a wronged woman...the chapter even starts off with an invocation.

In the Eumenides, the Furies eventually became part of the justice system; it would be a left turn, but I wonder if this is going to end with the killer being recruited by Pintsize or the government or something.

honestly it wouldnt even be unprecedented in the comic. alison has already been shown as literally above the law because of the danger she represents

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also being bombarded by the thought process of everyone around you might inhibit a sense of individuality.

he honestly might not be able to grasp where he ends and other people begin

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah when he encounters someone and they immediately go "wow Patrick is a loving weirdo!" Human beings instinctively cooperate and socialize, that's our big thing. If anything Patrick should be the most debonair motherfucker in the world.

e: although yeah Asperger's would totally justify that.

well it's a question of motivation. when he wants people to do something for him, or he needs something that they have, he seems to have a very easy time getting it from them because he's psychic etc. does he feel the need to be socially amicable in a general sense? he's pretty much incapable of feeling lonely, it could easily be the case that he just doesn't feel the need to be accepted by the people around him

what i'm saying is that he's pretty much the most inhuman character in this comic

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
as long as we're complaining about various stupid details did anyone else almost roll their eyes out of their sockets when they brought up that the biodynamics in europe didnt call themselves superheroes or anything?

i mean cmon europe is not nearly that removed from the concept of capes and im sure plenty of dumb teens would go hog wild for the spandex and domino mask if they got superpowers

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Alison is most famous as a superhero. She was invited to the costume party. Everyone trusts - well, trusted - her not to hurt people. I'm sure that guy knew who she was, he just didn't think she would actually hurt him, so he wasn't afraid to get aggressive with her.

The moment it became apparent that she'd be willing to hurt him, the tables were turned, and suddenly she's a monster that's too dangerous to be around. The guy and probably his friends were likely seeing it as making sense with the mentioned scene at the hospital, that she's turning into a dangerous lunatic.

considering shes gone on record that her favorite thing to do is punch things hard enough to kill people and that her version of losing her temper is to threaten to murder a crowd of people, thats not a wholly inaccurate opinion

also, haha alison is a dick to her teammates' living situations

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh, she hasn't seen Sonar in years and it's unclear at best how close they really were in the first place.

I hesitate to really draw any meaningful conclusions from this.

oh come now. he was intimately aware of the recent events involving her family, and that was contrasted with her not even knowing the basic marital status of his parents. its just another bit of evidence of the alienation she feels from her supposed peers

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

The guy who I reckon has the biggest chance of changing the world, properly, of anyone we've seen in the comic so far? The long-distancer teleporter fashion designer. Depends on how much he can carry, though.

depends if he actually breaks causality

also i'm pretty sure that the superheros patrick were talking about werent actually tier 1, but their powers could actually meaningfully alter the status quo.

honestly that whole bit with the dead superheroes is probably one of the worst parts of the comic. Oh, a spooky illuminati that can conceal themselves even from the psychic guy managed to kill off all the really important superheroes before they can change the world because...why exactly? Because they're assholes?

it feels like comic book bullshit, for lack of a better term. I try to write it off as the webcomic trying to find its feet and using a poorly written, vaguely antagonistic force to kick off the plot.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 24, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Alison wants to change the world for the better, not devote her life to a stop-gap measure. Part of her objection to Viral was that, no matter how many lives she saves, she's not actually solving anything.

alison's problem is she doesn't actually want to do the work to change the world and just skip straight to the revolution step. 'she's actually not solving anything' yeah i guess that the lives feral saves don't matter at all. after all if it doesn't lead to systemic change it might as well have not happened.

dont get me wrong its a pretty accurate portrayal of an idealistic 20-something revolutionary but that doesn't change how myopic such a mindset is

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well honestly a murderspree in israel's government by a superhero might not be that bad of an idea

also that's more LF's sort of thing

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus she even acknowledged in that statement that its a small distinction. she's saying that she's executing them for being rapists, not killing them for being boys.

also i think she's just telling them about this because she has an invulnerability complex from being a state-sponsored superhero. also from having superpowers, i suppose that would give someone a feeling of invulnerability.

i like moonshadow

:vince:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh my god, I wish the birthday party would get here already so we could talk about something positive once again.

bad webcomic thread is that way

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

She's loving batshit so maybe. I'm not super surprized about how this turned out. I hope this issue focuses a bit more around the whole idea or at least addresses the " Government totally was okay with a Adventurous Teenage Murder Club".

so not to pick on this post or anything, but how exactly is she "batshit?" she seems to have a pretty level head about what she's doing, and hasn't shown herself to be self-delusional or anything. Sure she's straight up killing dudes and that's wrong, but killing rapists, DV judges, and baby killers is wrong in the way that is technically true in a moral sense but really doesn't provoke that much of a sense of outrage.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

I'm just not seeing the self awareness here. Killing these mercenaries in particular makes no sense in relation to her other two killings which were all connected by the rape case. And the fact that she is drawing this out instead of using the minimal amount of theatrics she displayed in the first killing leads me to believe that she has lost her rational mind. Pintsize may be trying to cling to his superhero fantasy, but he's clinging to an an idealized interpretation of the idea closer to Superman. Moonshadow is 80's-tier edgy hero that's all kill and no introspection.

she explained why she killed them a few pages ago. they all did terrible things on their tours and so they deserve to be killed in her eyes. i'm not saying she's not a pretty lovely person but the only way she could be described as crazy is that she thinks killing people Is Not That Big Of A Deal.

which considering what she was doing in the formative years of her life isnt that unusual

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Meanwhile Allison is trying to dam the entrance to the bay or something.

and causes an environmental disaster due to an insufficient understanding of the ecological consequences of damming.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah, the narrative purposes of the last ten page were as follows:

* Establish Moonshadow as the killer. We had all guessed before, but this section made it explicit.
* Give Moonshadow a chance to actually talk. We'd barely heard at all from her before this in the story; we've talked AROUND her a lot, and heard other people talk about her, but it's not likely she's going to survive this storyline and she needs a chance to speak for herself before the end.
* Create a contrast between her motivations and those of Pintsize, Brad, and Alison. You can't do that without having her explain her motivations to someone, and who is she going to talk to, apart from her victims?
* Establish Moonshadow as a genuine threat. We've seen her in action before against unarmed teenagers and old people, and there's a flashback that shows the aftermath of her killing some thugs, but in this chapter we see her fighting a squad of soldiers that are armed, trained, and used to going up against biodynamics, AND have fought her before, and she wiped out all of them with very little effort. This makes her a lot more menacing.
* Start to connect her with Alison. There has to be some movement that gradually brings the storylines together, and this is how they're doing it; Alison has been informed of the story directly, and presumably some more events will occur that push her into a direct confrontation with Moonshadow. The comic can't just cut right from her talking to Pintsize to trying to punch an invisible person; we need to cross that distance first.
* Make her serial killing theme just a bit more obvious.

So, no, it wasn't badly handled; this is all necessary stuff. And yeah, it was pretty obvious right from the beginning that those guys were super dead.

the pacing was absolute poo poo. the starfish page was especially egregious in this regard. it spoonfed the reader every detail of moonshadow's motivation and used some pretty overwrought dialogue and exposition to do so. brevity soul of wit yada yada

for a comic that started out as a deconstruction of superheros it sure seems to be reveling in the shittier aspects of them.

Wittgen posted:

The message isn't "don't kill bad people because you might accidentally kill someone who isn't bad." It's "don't kill bad people because murder is not a solution to societal problems." That's why every single one of Moonshadow's victims being scum is absolutely the thematically appropriate choice.

It impresses me how many people in this thread seem to believe that murder is fine as long as the victim deserved it. I think this is another reason why the comic had to spend so many pages showing just how far gone Moonshadow is. Without them, even more people would fail to see any problem with Moonshadow's actions. What's wrong with killing bad people? They're bad!

despite my complaints i actually really like the line the comic is taking with this stuff. sure vigilantism is 'wrong' in that same vague sense that breaking laws is wrong, but if a society shows itself again and again to be wholly incapable of addressing a rather pressing problem, then lashing out via alternate means is understandable and even sympathetic.

Dismissing a Nat Turner, or even a John Brown type of situation as wrong is a pretty simplistic analysis. if society has shown that by and large it doesn't give a poo poo about you, why shouldnt you start killing your oppressors?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 6, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

She's killing people under her own authority and judgement. Isn't that bad enough already? My stance has been that no matter the crime, Moonshadow's way of going about it isn't justice, just vengeance. So even in the current scenario where we have abusive husbands, and ex-soldiers who kept someone in a rape dungeon for months. I don't think they should have died, but the system failed to catch them and someone else decided to step up.

Getting caught up with justice and trying to figure out if her actions are good or evil is a pretty useless way to analyze this. Sure we can tut tut about how her actions are immoral and opposed to our own personal code but i think that sidesteps the greater issue at play. She's been confronted by an incredible systemic issue and has decided that affecting change is difficult to impossible, and so she's trying to do it one individual at a time. Much like Feral, actually!

Instead of asking if what she's doing is justice i think it's better to ask if what she's doing is justified. I think there's actually a decent argument for that one. After all, it's kind of hard not to see this as society reaping what it has sown for its belief that Raping Women Is Not That Big of a Deal.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tar_Squid posted:

First of all, rape is always going to be one of the tougher crimes to prosecute, given how often the evidence is pure 'he said, she said'. I completely agree that cases like Steubenville need better prosecution, but without mind reading its silly to think we'd ever be able to prosecute all rape allegations as easily as robbery.

When the Supreme Court of a country says "jeans cannot be removed easily and certainly it is impossible to pull them off if the victim is fighting against her attacker with all her force" (and this occurs frequently enough for "the skinny jean defense" to be an actual thing) I'm somewhat skeptical that being unable to read minds is what's preventing successful prosecution of sexual assault.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
and I wasn't seriously advocating that it should be done in real life, mostly because there is little chance that it would lead to positive change. I was just making the point that when you are the victim of such a system, lashing out is an understandable reaction. Sure it's wrong, but i don't think that's a particularly interesting or insightful position to take (also calling something wrong doesn't actually convey any information at all beyond 'I don't like that')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Without right or wrong as defined by some legal, moral and/or ethical code there cannot be any crime, just actions people take against each other. Even trying to debate whether or not Moonshadow is justified implies that she is operating on some level of "right".

Uh, crime honestly has very little to do with right or wrong. It's literally the violation of the laws of a state entity. I mean sure maybe you could have the moral viewpoint that breaking laws in and of itself is wrong but that's stupid even for morality.

And sure, Moonshadow is operating on some level of right. From her perspective, she's chipping away at a colossus of injustice, and what little she can do is, in some small way, contributing to what is "right." But that's it, just her take on "right." We can say she's wrong with respect to this or that, but just calling it flat out wrong gets us nowhere. She's wrong according to what, some fundamental aspect of the universe that just so happens to agree with my viewpoint? Where, honestly, does taking that stance get us?

tl;dr: blah blah error theory blah blah

e: vvvv jesus did richard joyce piss in your cornflakes or something?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 16, 2014

• Locked thread