Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Fried Chicken posted:

Show me the page that establishes that they sat down and figured out how to kill her, and that their solution was of course violence.

Because I can show you several pages that show the government plan to deal with the kids with superpowers was doctors, counselors, and job matching community service. It's a major loving plot point, one that came up yet again about a dozen pages back.

But hey, go ahead and show me the Alison killing plan page. I want to see how it is "absolutely certain"

I think it's just a logical backup to have. I mean, obviously they didn't go "Plan A: Kill All Supers", because that would be stupid, impractical, ethically terrible, etc. etc. But I think it would be flat-out irresponsible to assume that your best-case scenario (they all become healthy, well-adjusted individuals) is what's going to happen. I mean, Cleaver was likely put through the same programs as Allison, and look how that turned out.

Is it likely that Allison suddenly goes berserk? Nope. Far from it. But in the off-chance that she does, you don't want to be caught with your pants down while a near-unstoppable force is killing civilians because you didn't bother to make a plan B. The plan is probably largely evacuation and containment procedures, some kind of negotiation, and some speculation on what might work if you had to kill her, as opposed to some kind of superscience instakill that was painstakingly researched, but they'd have *something* ready.

It's not outright stated, no, but I think as a matter of versimilitude, it's safe to assume that this exists. There's an actual document for "what to do if aliens invade', and we don't even have evidence that they actually exist. In the story, biodynamic people are a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Cleaver probably shares enough of Alison's power set to be tier 1.

It's interesting getting a good look at the Guardians--Brad's right when he says Alison was kind of the whole of the team. Even if she was pretty unlikable, her sheer power is pretty much what made the group work. When she suddenly stands up, says "this is all bullshit", and quits, she's making a good point--it is bullshit at that point after all--she does it unilaterally and leaves everyone else in the lurch, which makes everything fall apart faster than it would have, but also makes everything feel very hollow for the others.

I don't think that Hector's the kind of guy who would really recognize Alison's change as keenly as Brad, or at least point it out to her. I think out of everyone we've seen, he's probably the guy who's most classically heroic in nature. We're going to get something more along the lines of Alison realizing how she's kind of stomped all over his dream, which fits with the theme of this chapter, that there is very much a wrong way to do the right thing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I'm 99% sure she's verbally slapping sense into him. It's certainly not a good-natured joke. It's her slapping the irrational guy and telling him to get his poo poo together, we live in a real world. Alison isn't a totally maladjusted goon. She knows that that will hurt his feelings, and is counting on it.

She isn't just going in and being mean-spirited, but while she does have a plan, I don't think it's a very good one. Hector doesn't need someone to come in, slap his metaphorical poo poo, and tell him to just suck it up. He probably realizes that he's been trying to hold a sandcastle against the ocean these past few years, and he needs support in dealing with that. This is just kind of a (much smaller) version of Alison quitting on national TV: she's right, sure, but she's going about it in a terrible, terrible way that doesn't involve as much consideration of others as it really should.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hahaha, I love Alison's response in that last panel. :allears: There's a lot she's doing wrong, but at least she isn't giving up because it's hard.

I can kind of see where Hector's coming from, though. He's got a gift, to be sure, but does that make him obligated to do something he hates (or at least, doesn't enjoy) for the rest of his life? If what Feral is doing had a similar level of impact to what Hector could do, would it be an obligation? He's definitely being whiny (particularly because as others have said, he really could just make himself available as an observer for scientists, without doing the mountains of grunt work involved with science, and he hasn't put in the effort to figure out some way to contribute that isn't also miserable.

But then again, while Alison is certainly better about that than Hector, it does still kind of feel like she's trying to make a villain out of the world's problems, that she can punch in the face and just be done with. A bunch of small efforts don't solve those issues, to be sure, but being part of a volunteer fire department still feels like selling her abilities short.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Being a firefighter is pretty unambiguously good, unlike say, law enforcement.

It's not that it's not good, it's that it feels a bit like a token effort. I mean, she's doing a good thing, but she could certainly do more. She doesn't *have* to, but she's been pushing others--in this case Hector--to try to find a way to use their powers to enact lasting good, when she isn't really doing that herself. She's pushing them in the right direction, to be sure, but it's frustrating that it's kind of "do as I say, not as I do".

That said, I really do hope that Hector is able to come around on all of this.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Man, that guy is really well-adjusted about the whole thing. Yeah, I was brain-slaved for six months of ultraviolence. Crazy stuff.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

What's really disappointing is that while he had lovely opinions, Furnace had probably one of the most human characterizations of anyone in the comic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, a lot for me depends on what Allison's reaction to all of this is. As people have said, and as Moonshadow herself kind of points out, Allison's moral ground here is not nearly as solid as she would like it to be, but if she is at all convinced that Moonshadow is vindicated, just... ugh.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I don't mean to say that Allison was some murderer like Moonshadow is, because she definitely isn't. She was reckless, but she was never murderous. But the fact that she has killed people, even though it wasn't the same kind of cold-blooded deliberation, means that somebody could write her off as hypocritical if they were inclined to do so, and that she herself is going to be a little less confident about being the right person to make the argument that needs to be made.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

"I'm sorry I tried to slit your throat, Allison, that sure was crazy of me. Now excuse me for a second where I talk about my chief regret being that all that murdering people I did didn't magically make the world a better place, and may have actually made it substantially worse, and not really the murders themselves!"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Furnace was aware that his powers had been getting stronger, and more difficult to control, but he had written it off as unimportant. Little did he know the true extent of the changes, up until the dam explosion that should have cost him his life. His body was destroyed, but the fire--and Furnace--remained. Now immortal, immaterial, and entirely inhuman, Furnace must face up to an uncaring eternity in which he is unable to touch that which he loves without consuming it utterly.

Nah, it'll be something way more mundane. Moonshadow is now trapping rapists in houses and then burning them to the ground. This is justified, because,

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Harry is a good match for approximately nobody.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think there's a point to be made still--namely that playing Oppression Olympics doesn't help anybody and just fractures people who should be able to unite for a common cause--but I don't have much faith that this is going to pull through. It's a shame considering how the arc's gone fairly well up to this point.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

Good God almighty, this comic needs an editor.

e: or maybe just a blanket ban on male characters.

Hey now, whatshisname Sonar guy is chill and good. And Furnace was becoming a compelling character before he got exploded. Just... not anybody else.

She is going to wind up with loving Clevin, isn't she.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Nope. Libertarian rear end in a top hat it is then. what a dumb writer this guy is.

He's about to start arguing about how Feral isn't actually being selfless. He's not just a libertarian rear end in a top hat, he's an Objectivist rear end in a top hat.

Also I love how he's going slightly wall-eyed in that last panel. I'm imagining him just suddenly floating off of his chair, tumbling weightlessly through the air in the same seated position as his eyes continue to drift further apart and he rambles about how Ayn Rand was so incredibly right about everything.

Also I didn't think it could get more ham-handed than last chapter, but apparently it can!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Kinda leaning hard on the animal-people here, but that's not exactly a huge issue. My main takeaway here is that Brad is really down to earth, competent, and compassionate, and honestly kind of puts Allison to shame. No way she would be able to organize this kind of event. Hell, even her basic idea of her organization doesn't seem nearly as well thought out as Brad's.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-74-3/

Link the update to which you're reacting. It's just the courteous thing to do.

And I concur, Jesus loving LOL.

The last few updates have been reasonable, surely this can't be that ba-:catstare:

Well, objectivist dude was ultimately used to prove a point. If this gets used to build up Brad... well, it'll still be lovely, but less so.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 23, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The fact that her overarching project has all of maybe two sentences written about it, and that Allison's other agenda items are 'war', 'poverty', 'corruption', and 'the evil that lurks in the hearts of men' makes me think that she really has no idea what she's doing. She says she's focused in on a single topic (it was domestic violence, right?), but she doesn't seem to have any real ability to think in terms of building an actual organization.

Basically what I am saying is that Brad is a great, and would probably wind up being the member of the team most fondly remembered by history if things kept their current trajectory.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Atmus posted:

Realistically, she probably removed "Join Brad's Support Group" because she tried and failed/he asked her to leave or whatever.

That wouldn't be in character for Brad at all. He spoke up when he was concerned that she was viewing this as a networking opportunity, but otherwise he was happy for her to sit in and learn. I think it's more a matter of her realizing that her issues just don't align with the support group very well. She got a valuable experience out of attending, but for different reasons than what joining would give her.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Does anyone else think that this is making Clevin feel sort of... inconsistent? His previous portrayal made him feel like a shy nerd--doesn't have the confidence to ask Allison out directly, doesn't really know what makes for a good date, etc. But now he's suddenly frontman of a hipster band and he feels completely different.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

This guy is an rear end in a top hat but he's not exactly wrong

I think a lot of his character makes more sense in light of this revelation. Dude's probably had people find out about his power before and pretty much insist--as Allison is doing--that he should be giving his all to do that. When you've got a bunch of people telling you that you *should* be using your life on this one thing, it's pretty understandable that you're going to get incredibly sick of people telling you what to do.

Mikl posted:

Like for example: you're a janitor in a hospital and you're riding an elevator with a patient in critical condition on their way to the OR and a novice nurse who doesn't know how to do anything, and there's a blackout so the elevator stops and you have to operate right there right then or the patient will die. You don't have a right to refuse then.

Except Max (presumably) isn't being asked to wave a magic wand one time and suddenly this one aspect of the world is all better--whatever he'd be doing would almost certainly be a lifelong, day-in day-out commitment, for something he presumably doesn't enjoy. And once he makes that leap, he basically can't go back on it without everyone hating him forever. He's not maximizing his good in the world, and sure, it's selfish. But that's a choice he has the right to make.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

God dammit, you could have given him some more widely beneficial ability and made this a way more interesting argument between his point of view and Allison's, but no, you had to go back to the "He is a selfish Objectivist" well for no reason.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

God drat Allison is terrible at this. She's so bad at this that I find myself sympathizing with the people she's arguing against.

She just fundamentally doesn't understand how to do things gradually, does she? Like, it's not hard to recognize that Max has some deep-seated issues that lead to him being an rear end in a top hat. If you start at the root of the problem, I'm sure you could talk him around eventually. Like, if you got Brad to hang out with him, I'm pretty sure that he has the level of emotional understanding that he'd eventually be able to get Max turned around. And maybe then he still doesn't want to use his power, and that's disappointing, but ultimately his decision. You don't charge in, give a bad apology for your previous behavior, insult him to his face, and then ask for his help!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Does Max feel the irony of claiming that someone is going to have deal with not getting what they want when he's literally richy rich with parents who can cover up the fact that he has super powers?

Probably not, self-awareness isn't exactly Max's strong suit.

And man, there's a lot of people in the comments who are basically the straw men that libertarians like to argue against.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Man, I'm looking forward to seeing all the comments trying to justify this one.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure the realistic result of this is Max calling the police and Allison doing jail time. Like, I don't see how else this goes down, unless she's blackmailing him with revealing his power, as well.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

violent sex idiot posted:

I don't think superman really has to do jail time if she doesn't feel like it

Well no, it isn't really possible to make her. But it certainly would be interesting to see her forced to step back and actually look at what she's been doing.

Also this continues to make her decision regarding Patrick's donation all the more baffling. "I won't take your money, but I sure will take your lead so I can physically coerce a dude into doing what I want him to!"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

quote:

Hell yes! God, I hope she breaks his wrist. I wanna hear it snap.
I've read every page and I’ve never flat-out cheered her on before now. Just wanted to get that in before somebody starts in about how this one moment and choice will now inevitably turn Alison into a fascist dictator. Slippery slope, my rear end!
All we know now is that a ton of lives are at stake. Is it great to coerce others physically? No, it sucks. But isn’t that particular moral lapse in this particular instance with this particular dickhead worth it in order to save a ton of lives? I’m thinking yes. She’s a human being, not a saint or an angel. The point of her life is not to lead a perfect existence above reproach with an immaculate conscience. Striving for moral perfection, just for your own smug satisfaction, seems pretty amoral to me when the stakes are that high. I’d argue people in this flawed, difficult world have a responsibility to get a little blood on their hands from time to time when there's no other choice. And you just try better next time.
Snap it, Alison! Just one! He can afford to see a doctor later.

quote:

Ah, but what is her plan? we haven't heard what her proposal is yet. Maybe she's going to say, amp up her healing friend to the point that her organs will grow other organs and they can start a farm and just harvest poo poo, thus freeing her from pain and massively increasing the output of lives her powers saved. It's not necessarily that particular idea, but she seems to think 4 hours will make a HUGE difference, so it's something she perceives as really big and one time.

Being put back in the water matters to the starfish. But If all the starfish are back in the water, will it matter to them that the turtle was forced to do it?

quote:

"my base needs"

This one line demonstrates why your analogy doesn't work. You're acting like it doesn't matter what the superhero in this situation is actually trying to accomplish.

Alison is not fulfilling a "base need." She is saving an enormous number of lives. The alternative is respecting Max's autonomy but letting those people die. Violating Max's autonomy is bad; sacrificing many, many lives on the altar of his autonomy is worse.

Utilitarians! :v:

(There's way, way more comments going "Whoa, what the gently caress, Allison")

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 4, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Poltergrift posted:

Hey, don't you pin this on us.

I mean, if I thought Alison was the kind of person who would genuinely use this dude's power to save a massive number of lives, I'd be more inclined to agree with her (although, of course, that runs into the problem of creating the principle "if you can do good, you should be forced to do good," which has historically failed to produce actual good, so I'd prefer if she tried less coercion and more, like, persuasion via arguments or paying him or something.) The problem is that she's consistently failed to do that -- if Alison were actually trying to do the most good, she'd be turning a crank in Somalia instead of going to college.

I mean, greatest good for the most people, absolutely, but you need rules to prevent fallible people abusing their power, or else you wind up with a universe full of people locked in Cocaine Booths because cocaine produces the biggest dopamine response for the cheapest price.

something something rule utilitarianism always boils down to act utilitarianism something something (it is a good tool but not the end-all be all of moral reasoning, as much as that one person in the comments seems to think it is). :v:

Thinking things over, Allison has a lot of good principles, but she's not actually that great of a person, is she? I mean, not that that's entirely her fault, but still.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

:chloe:

That... makes me honestly uncomfortable with this whole thing in a way that I wasn't before. Like, no, the specific act being committed isn't technically rape, but every single aspect of the situation--from the relative positions, to specific phrasing she uses ("Well, sweetheart, I was only really asking as a courtesy") to the fact that she is using physical violence to force Max into a specific physical act ("sprinkle a little pixie dust"! :suicide:) is basically textbook rape. And if that was intentional, I'd find it to be an interesting take! But when you write it, like this, and you can't see for yourself how this comes across, just... what?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I was wondering why the author decided not to reveal so much information until the end, but someone pointed out one important thing. A burger and a bottle of bourbon is the thing Feral requested Allison bring her if she ever figured out how to fix the world.

So, I guess Allison figures she has?

Gonna bet she thinks she has, but has instead ruined everything. Like, if it's Feral she boosted, Feral now heals too quickly to even operate on.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

On the one hand, I'm happy for Feral that this apparently went right. On the other hand, I really want Allison to suffer some consequence for what she just did.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I've got whiplash from the abrupt tonal shift we've got here.

I mean, I don't honestly think they'll just drop it completely, but this was 100% the wrong spot to take a break for it. Save the palate cleanser for after you've at least capped it off a bit!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Max is going to turn up dead, isn't he.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, but making the victim an actual bad guy isn't really great, and would be a pretty poo poo message for the comic to send. I mean, not that the comic hasn't had issues with that before, but it tries to not reinforce crappy social norms.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It doesn't have to be something that directly hits Allison. Right now, all that's happened is "Allison feels bad about what she did (but it was totally worth it and she'll get over it and do it again)" . If you want to turn her into Injustice Superman, then okay, that works, but this isn't that story. Off the top of my head, you could:

1). Have the conspiracy kill Max. Obviously this sucks for Max, but you pick up a plot line that hasn't been touched on that much, you have Allison dealing with the fact that she's culpable in a person's death pretty much just because she wanted her friend back.

2). Have Feral find out. This is kind of a soft touch, but estranging Allison's relationship with her friend that she just got back could be an interesting angle to work. I think this is maybe a bit too easy, though.

3). Side effects to Max's boost. This one sucks for Feral, unfortunately, and it doesn't quite ring true for me--it's more of a lesson in impulsiveness than "don't coerce others", but it would hit Allison really hard to know she hurt her friend.

4). Max uses his connections via his mom to get in touch with the government people tasked with keeping an eye on Allison, and tell them that she kidnapped him. Even if he leaves out exact circumstances, this would shift things pretty significantly for Allison, because she's moving towards being an active threat instead of a potential one.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

What the hell happened to Feral's speech pattern? I dont remember her sounding like English was a second language.

That aside, this page is the most fun the comic's been in a long time. I like Feral.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I'm not concerned about that bullshit either :shrug: More wondering what the gently caress is going on at this point, the ~shocking twist~ of "blue guy is her friend" vs "blue guy actually wants her killed" seems to be a big leap.

What? He's explicitly doing what he can to let her get away.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hm, yes, that is definitely how actual people talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

What has Allison even done to set this thing up? She's talked to some people, purchased some office space, and hired an accountant, and thrown a party. Is that it? I know it isn't super compelling, but shouldn't we have seen some panels of her, you know, applying for grants, or soliciting donations, or hiring people? Or even researching how to build an organization like this? There's literally nothing there yet.

• Locked thread