Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

I imagine the hangovers would be short but excruciating.

I dunno, she took that sword through the head pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Trast posted:

A simple explanation of why she'd give the guys ammo would be to test herself. Sure she got all the balloons without breaking a sweat but an exercise with paint balls is not the same as real life combat. Even if the mercs are rattled now they are still trained killers. So when she kills them all she will likely move on to whatever target she has picked out next. Which quite likely will have armed security.

All and all it should be entertaining.

Alternately could just leave and let them shoot each other while trying to kill an invisible person in the dark. She seems too hands on for that though.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Violet seems to be acting like an actual friend. I hope she keeps it up.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Me too. But since slitting your throat is really hard and Moonshadow kills with a knife, it kind of makes sense if she did it.

If she did do it, I wonder why. Were there other victims, or did she just want to hijack the viral video of Alison to more effectively spread her message about rapists being murdered horribly.

I think Mary wants to see if Alison paid enough attention to her to figure out that she's the killer.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Slashrat posted:

Exactly. There's no validity to anything he said. If a vigilante is killing people who the media report as being accused of being rapists, the answer isn't for victims to keep it to themselves (under threat of being burned alive if they don't). The answer is to stop the loving vigilante, and at a stretch have the media keep quiet about such accusations in the meantime. His entire train of thought went down the wrong track right from the start.

I'm guessing that there is now a race for who gets to kill/disable him first. I'm not sure if the train even got out of the station before derailing.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Gorilla Desperado posted:

Hah, was just thinking this.

Alternate scenario: Alison saves him from being killed by Moonshadow because she just can't condone killing even a straight-up dickhead like Furnace. And how awful does he feel afterwards, both that he needed saving at all and by her of all people.

She walks away, he is killed by any number of other people.

I'm sure the "Am I Still Special" gang is super pissed off by this. They will want to kill him and they're probably going to take it out on lower tier biodynamics. Lower tier biodynamics now have motive, if not means to kill him. Some of them might band together, others might hire mercenaries. Alison is trying to work on non violent solutions to her problems, but there are a lot of biodynamic women out there, even if they aren't all Tier 1. Heck, his mother might be watching TV and thinking that she failed as a mother and poisoning him is the only thing left that she can do. That's assuming that the government sits on its hands while an incredibly loose cannon goes even more berserk.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

It probably isn't metal. It's colored pure white and the hilt and blade are part of the same unit. You can get a better look at it here:

Might be made out of bone, but I'd guess more likely ceramic or hard plastic. (Google polymer knives if you're curious.)

Yeeeah. I'm not anywhere near as down on this issue or comic in general as some folks seem to be, but this is definitely a blunder. I can appreciate maintaining Moonshadow as not having killed any innocent people as a way of keeping the moral question of her vigilantism in place, but part of the way you achieve that is by not setting your final confrontation in a dam that gets blown up. If you blow up a dam, you're going to kill some people.

I think the author did that so they could have some peace and quiet while they talked. I'd complain about that more, but they are way overdue for a heart to heart.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

Not going to lie, part of me kind of wants the next page to be a shaggy dog story ending where Mary begins to get into a big old monologue and Allison just crushes her head like a grape, end of chapter. Out of character as hell and against everything the comic stands for yes, but I would really love the chutzpah.

I'm just hoping for a "I don't think what you did was right, but I don't know how wrong it really was" and then they spent the rest of the night looking at the sky and chat about what they both went through as superheroes.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is definitely correct, but the problem with it is "an enormous dam with no-one inside it far enough away from all human habitation that the flood resulting from its destruction will harm nobody" is something that shouldn't actually exist for her to find in the first place.

For reference, I'm expecting Mary to apologize to Alison for the next five pages.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Here's the thing about the 1 in 5 statistic. It was originally a study that dealt with university students and had a sample size of less than 5,500. Now it's been extrapolated by a lot of other groups to be a national statistic. I'm not going to go in to the problems with the original study itself but the long and short is that the study plays very loose with the definition of sexual assault and had some very loaded wording. And more recent studies (this one is from 2012) show that the actual rate of rape and sexual assault is 1.3 per 1000(Page 2) for americans ages 12 and up. So I don't know where this statistic keeps getting ground. As for the 2%. I still can't find a credible study backing up the RAINN so it's just as suspect to me as the 1 in 5.

The statistic that you're picking says that 1.3 per 1,000 Americans ages 12 and up reported a violent sexual assault to the police in 2012. This cannot be compared to the other statistics.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Wow, that's just terrible.

The worst part is that it's not just him. It's not a super common line of thinking in evangelical circles, but it is very much a thing that people believe.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
At least put some kind of a break in there, even if it leads to more endless monologues.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think Paladin is going to give Alison a piece of her personal philosophy as a way of comforting her or advising her on what to do next. Hopefully this will be the end of the issue. (It's going to end when Alison goes to sleep, regardless.)

It will never end.

This chapter did introduce Lisa and hopefully got rid of Violet, so there's that at least?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Like being stymied by ridiculous patent laws,

Really, Paladin should be focused on creating the dumbest inventions ever, like a "jump to conclusions mat" or a floating mechanical hand that high fives you on queue when no one else does. Templar would run out of money or stop paying attention to her eventually.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure you have greatly overestimated American consumers.

Party Poop for party poopers.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

If Allison's realization isn't "why am I limiting my pool of both helpers and recipients to 50.8% of the population and also only focusing on one first world problem", I'm loving done. Enough is enough.

How the gently caress do you go from "everything perfect for everyone forever" to "let's walk drunk chicks home and use our super-strength to be a really kickass moving company"? How poisoned by RAPE CULTURE RAPE CULTURE RAPE CULTURE before you think those two things are somehow equivalent?

I'm still trying to figure out how Furnace's death is all over the news and that Allison's last message to Dr. Rapestatistics was, "Uh...turns out that one of my teammates was is a serial killer after all." and this is her response.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

I still want to know how this proves Feral wrong.

Because this is masturbatory and Feral cannot reach her genitals because of the restraints.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I wonder if all of Chapter 5 was really meant to lead up to this moment. On top of that, it's hard to believe that the writer wrote everything from Chapter 1 with this specific end goal from Alison in mind.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Title page opens with a closeup of Alison and Lisa shrugging with the title "Well That Was a Dumb Plan." Chapter 6 starts with Alison coming to terms with the end of the Guardians, having a new roommate and the death of that guy that she didn't like. THE COMIC CAN STILL BE SAVED.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

It's just weird that this is the result of 300+ pages of buildup. I'll get over it.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Alison Green and the Mystery of the Burning Fire

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Like there's a constant smirk behind his beard or something.

It is a philosophy class.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Now I'm feeling disappointed that he probably isn't going to fail Alison. Good god, you don't talk to teachers that way.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Have you missed all the times society has bent over backwards to not hold someone accountable for sexual assault, or are you just willfully dense? Even if Captain Oblivious is right and you don't leave the internet, it shouldn't take you long to google a case of alleged rape and scroll to the comments section. Of course, maybe its different elsewhere, but in the United States? "Victim blaming" as a catch-all for guilt abatement is hard to miss.

The only thing that's changed is that people tend to avoid saying the specific words "blame" and "victim" near each other when in polite company.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't really think that's where Mulligan is going but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if this upcoming dialogue borrows from Fat Acceptance rhetoric at least somewhat.

I'm guessing fat acceptance is an offshoot of other body acceptance stuff, so it'd sound similar even if he doesn't take it from that source directly.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I'm just trying to figure out whether 'they' means some kind of a symbiote or just a single person's preferred pronoun.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

Try to think of the most stupid reasoning. It's probably such a parody of a safe space, that they outright banned the use of pronouns at the convention. Or that person is extra careful with the wording, because it would sort of kill the mood, if someone would Interrupt this statement with, "Excuse me, this is a place where everyone is welcome and your use of this denominating language really makes people uncomfortable. Could you please leave?"

This comic often reads like it's written by a socially conservative person who really tries to write liberal characters without understanding where they are coming from. Allison is often a political straw man. But she's so hard to relate to, that it sort of feels like the writer doesn't even agree with her.

I thought Dax was the most stupid reasoning. Third person they isn't that weird and is at least 10 years overdue and probably closer to 60.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Did...did her doctor/therapist tell her to do that?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I think the old style suited the story better to the point where it would have been easier to forgive the writing in the last two chapter. Ostertag's color schemes haven't ever fit any of the more dramatic scenes, but the bigger issue is something I don't quite know how to put into words. That scene of the playground is a good example of this. It's somewhat abstract, the stark black and white add an emotional punch that I haven't seen out of the more recent pages, and the aesthetic feels more like an alternative comic than a webcomic.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Serene Dragon posted:

40 hours a month also doesn't seem like enough organs to even shift the backlog of organs needed in the US alone, at least not for many many years. Hundreds of thousands of people worldwide need organs right now.

Having enough surgeons to be able to keep up would still be an issue though.

Then again, there's no need to let perfectly good organs go to waste.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Where do these hearts come from? I mean mass-wise. I assume they constantly pump Feral with nutrients, but with this new rate we're talking several kilos of prime heart meat and God knows how much blood per hour. What I'm saying is that Feral is now always hungry, and no burger can sate this hunger.

We haven't seen Alison constantly eating, so maybe whatever allows her to fly allows Feral to regenerate. If her organs regenerate outside her body, she could just keep eating her heart into infinity.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Japan could use this to create artificial meat islands.

Or just use them to combat rising sea levels. Alison's helping the global climate change problem too!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Paladinus posted:

That's what I was alluding to.

Ah, I thought you just wanted recreational meat islands.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Why did she even admit to having a hand in Feral's new condition? She already knows that people's abilities are evolving and getting stronger . She herself is proof of that so it's not outside the realm of possibility that the same would happen to Feral. All she has to do is sit back after she forced Max to do his fireball trick and show up a week later acting surprised.

Not that I don't mind seeing her actually grapple with this mindset but this scene shouldn't have to happen at all. Now I'm surprised why they aren't questioning her harder since she just ensured enough organs to apparently change the status quo literally overnight. This is something that is going to demand investigation, security footage is going to be analyzed, Feral's room is going to be cased by forensic teams trying to find traces of what Allison might have done. They will probably have someone tail Allison and start going through her recent history to try and figure out how a college student was able to manufacture a process that could enhance another person's ability.

It's the same reason she came up with Project Valkyrie instead of going to quietly go work with disaster relief/charities that work on building infrastructure in developing countries in a capacity where she would be helping build things but get none of the credit. It's hard to tell whether it's bad writing or if she can't stand to not be in the spotlight.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I hadn't noticed how washed out the coloring has gotten since the beginning of the last chapter.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I just can't help but find it hilarious that so many people are acting like it's the next 9/11 or something because someone lovely they didn't like got elected. This isn't the first site I've read that decided to post a big "too sad about trump to update" spiel. Is being sad about trump a valid excuse to get out of work? Can I call in today and tell them I'm too trumped out to come in?

I'm guessing people are upset about the swastika graffiti, headscarves being ripped off, and schoolchildren yelling "BUILD THE WALL" at their minority classmates.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Avshalom posted:

girl goats are less disgusting than bucks, which piss on themselves deliberately and will soak their beards with urine and then bounce around with piss dripping off their faces. however they do that because the does are into it, so i guess all goats are equally disgusting. as for huggable, it's their soft soft coats and velvety ears and sweet little perma-smiles and gorgeousness

The petting zoo has been ruined for me.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop:
I wish we got big cool lizards here.

Mostly we just get house geckos. They make loud Eh-eh-eh sounds in the middle of the night.

"Just get house geckos?" Here I don't have any awesome lizards at all.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

This thread's descent into madness has been wondrous :allears:

Even just reading the first page of this thread is crazy, especially since it starts right when the comic begins to have Clevins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

What's hosed up is I'm legit more interested in the India comic, bad as it is starting off to be, than what's going on in the main comic (cheesy lesbian romance and OMG DR JERKSHOES TRICKED US SOMEHOW)

You're selling the main comic as being better than what it is.

• Locked thread