Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Captain Bravo posted:

And that's another important aspect to the situation, and one where her friend... well may not be right, but at least is hitting closer to home than can be comfortable. The entire reason Alison stopped being Mega-Girl was because she wasn't fixing anything. She stopped some supervillians, but did so in a very casualty-rich way, and didn't actually do any meaningful good. She said it herself, when fighting Cleaver. That's what she's used to doing, and it feels good, even if it's almost meaningless in the end.

Her first instinct was to jump back into that role. To be the hero, save the girl, fix the immediate problem with the immediate solution. I would wager that she probably didn't even really consciously assault the dude, she just instinctively choke-grabbed him. And that's where poo poo went off the rails. Because she immediately dropped back into the "Superhero vs. Supervillain" role she's so used to, and she can't really see that.

You can blame the partygoers all you want for turning a blind eye to Miles, but they still have their reasons for doing so. He's a friend, it's a regular thing, she's "asking for it", they know each other, etc. There's a billion excuses they use to not see him as a bad guy. And the most important thing, as a reader, we don't know for a fact that he is a bad guy. He's purposefully written as an arrogant, entitled douche, and the kind of person we would easily believe as being a rapist, but we don't know poo poo for fact. All this adds up to a situation where Alison sees it as black and white, good vs. evil, and she's surrounded by people who disagree. Her friend is 100% correct in that she's instantly reverting back to the kind of life she led as a superhero, and is being recklessly dangerous with her use of force. Alison is also right, in that her friend is ignoring a real situation with a real solution, in favor of not having to think too hard about the people she chooses to surround herself with. The whole thing is one giant shade of grey, with nobody truly 100% correct.

Except that guy who was taking home a drunk girl whose name he didn't know and then he was lying about his relationship with her to people, he's totes legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Level Slide posted:

I think Paladin is the killer

That talk about empowering the girl and making her into a hero instead of a victim, I can see that coming from someone missing a limb.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Still, you know who we haven't seen in a long time?

I have no idea what this associate of Menace and Cleaver can do.

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-2/page-14-2/

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tollymain posted:

I really hope they never go in the direction of that second one, I am uncomfortable with the subject matter of this chapter as it is.

Thankfully, that's the kind of mistake that I think no realistic character could be stupid enough to make.

We've seen random people running up to her and hitting her with stuff and that rapist tried to scare her off by being aggressive. An immoral dumbass isn't that unrealistic a character, but I doubt very much this story is going to go that way.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I get the feeling that he probably does this poo poo a lot.

He does seem to mess around quite a bit, but when it gets rough he still throws down, even if punks try to get in his way.

So yeah I don't think he's serious either, but WHO KNOWS.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pavlov posted:

"BRB getting murdured #fml #cleaversadick"

You'd be a dick too if you tumor filled cripple in constant pain and government issued shorts. Now that I think about it, Cleaver going to the bathroom is a pretty traumatic experience.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Slashrat posted:

Spot on.

Anyway, seems like showing bad judgement as a judge is now a crime punishable by death, according to the Law of the Invisible Vigilante Slasher

So what do you think about the latest supreme court ruling?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah, and this looks like the south we are in. Not sure when this is taking place.

Upstate New York can be a lot like the south believe it or not.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm not exactly the kind of person to get really offended when a jerk gets, say, punched or something. I'm totally down with seeing a character sock another character in the jaw for being a dick, so all this hand-wringing about lifting up some shifty guy at a party looks disproportionate.

Honestly this situation is only getting special attention because he's an alleged rapist and not just some rear end in a top hat.

It might have something to do with Allison being a woman too, I can't recall the last time I heard of someone complaining about Batman's use of force.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Same for me. My hands are registered as lethal weapons. I have to walk around with them in my pockets, since my state doesn't allow open carry.

...do you have a concealed weapon permit?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm looking at Moonshadow right after most of the super villains were dealt with...

and current Moonshadow

I believe the last two years have lead to some change in the character's outlook.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

He's probably a really well trained combatant, definitely sounds disillusioned with the whole hero thing since he calls himself a mercenary.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Squidster posted:

Could you elaborate on this?

Oh if it was written by a woman, it'd be like this

From Kate Beaton's webcomic, but you probably already knew that.

http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=311

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Going from busting super villains to potheads, yeah I can see why that'd create some friction.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

drat it, there was absolutely no indication that this meek and unassuming woman who became a scarred hard rear end would turn into a ruthless stealthy vigilante, especially with a name like moonshadow!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

jsoh posted:

nothing in the text says anything about her having invisibility powers, before this page.

Hell, people weren't even sure if the guy going by "Sonar" had any kind of offensive powers. We just have speculation on what exactly Moonshadow's powers are and if she can turn invisible, why was she constantly getting targeted and needing cover from the other group members?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tollymain posted:

I don't think that's her.

Yeah wrong color scheme and a much looser costume... probably to account for body spikes.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Maybe he'll talk about the importance of schooling from there?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

He got to live his dream for a few years, that's way better than the vast majority of the planet.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ronya posted:

Alison knows where Menace went - that "there are no supervillains left and I'm not punching normals so I quit" isn't actually the reason she quit - and she just doesn't respect her former teammates enough to disclose that

as mean-spiritedness goes, merely being aggravatingly superior about her well-adjustedness to mean Reality is minor in comparison

She's hiding the location of the world's greatest supervillain that's something she hasn't disclosed to her family or Feral and you can't tell me she doesn't respect the hell out of them. I do agree that her opening statement isn't so bad though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Disclosing that information has a hell of a lot of ways it could go terribly wrong, and achieve the exact opposite effect she would desire. I think you're being naive here. Hector is like an addict, telling him about the Menace encounter is just as likely to have him grasp onto the notion that Menace is still out there like a drowning man to a piece of driftwood as proof that no, the superhero thing REALLY IS still viable! He still has a purpose!

What's worse, it could get him to completely shut out Alison as corrupted by Menace/an enemy as such would better serve his desperate need to maintain the superhero narrative.

That and Hector seems to think Menace is the reason why Alison is afraid to be a superhero anymore.

In a way he's right, which will make for a super dramatic reveal later on!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's pretty common to see "superpowers as metaphor for persecution" (X-Men, et al), but I think this is the first comic I've seen that's really direct or explicit about "superpowers as metaphor for privilege".

Yeah, whenever I see a show where someone has superhuman abilities and whines about wanting to be normal it's kinda baffling.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

There was that suicidal villain guy with a Death Touch from Animal Man. He probably could have gone without that kind of superpower in his life. :v:

Not being able to touch living things is pretty hellish.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ChairMaster posted:

Lots of mutants get a pretty poo poo deal with their super powers. Like half of them are just "is a little bit better in a combat situation than a normal person but looks all hosed up and weird and everyone's scared of them"

Or like that one guy who's super power was to have two faces instead of one face. Kinda a bummer to be him.

If you look like a monstrous freak then yeah, but if you look normal and your powers are nothing but beneficial it's like whining about being a hetero white male in America. Nice avatar btw.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nobody likes hipsters, nobody.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I remember during Feral's arc that she talked about how other countries didn't expect their bio-dynamics to dress up in patriotic costumes and fight crime at night. I'm guessing other places had problems with bio-dynamic crime but they didn't have any overly dramatic super villains.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wyld Karde posted:

Well, someone's been activating Patrick's former minions. :tinfoil:

Now that'd be an amazing twist.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that "in universe" the reason for that is going to be "immediately after the existence of superpowers someone replaced a presidential broadcast with saying they were going to take over america."

Patrick may not think of himself as a person, but I'm pretty sure he's still embarrassed about stuff he did as a teenager.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I rather enjoyed the alt text on this one though and she's right you don't need a super powered fighting force to deal with non-violent crime except for stealing music over the internet.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Their username is very appropriate.

I have to disagree and I think what Patrick/Menace said about her fighting style, how she'd take an incredible amount of punishment in order to win a fight efficiently, is relevant to her attitude. She wants her efforts to be winning efforts. She's looking for a way to make the world better in a manner that addresses fundamental and systemic issues and she doesn't see the guardians as that or Feral's efforts regardless of how highly she thinks of her for doing that, as a solution either. Feral's sacrifice will improve the lives of many people, but it won't address the big issues Allison sees in the world. I think if Allison could identify what steps would be necessary to change the world she'd take them, she'd work at them she'd fix things for the sake of herself and her friends. She felt powerless and ashamed when she couldn't fix that playground, or when she found out her indulgence in the joys of combat had killed her professor's lover. I'd say she's desperate to do something to change the world for the better, but she doesn't know WHAT it is and I believe her character would work at it insanely hard once she figures it out and identify it is her educational goal.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

That's not what they're saying, though.

People were saying she doesn't want to do any work to save the world that she just wants to skip ahead to some big revolution. I agree with Captain Oblivious that some people are way too negative about Alison's character regarding her desire to improve the world. That's what I was addressing, what'd you think I was talking about?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

nimby posted:

Right at the start of the comic. It hasn't really come up a lot.

Her chief is pretty cool though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was making fun of their username being "a big flaming stink" when they were making a big flaming stink about it, then you said you disagreed.

Oh, I thought you were making fun of Captain Oblivious's name in regards to their views on Alison's character. Yeah, given the context like that I can see how you could interpret my misinterpretation as something else entirely. I should have been clearer in my post.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Would it kill you to even TRY punching out cancer Hector?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Lord of Hats posted:

But then again, while Alison is certainly better about that than Hector, it does still kind of feel like she's trying to make a villain out of the world's problems, that she can punch in the face and just be done with. A bunch of small efforts don't solve those issues, to be sure, but being part of a volunteer fire department still feels like selling her abilities short.

Being a firefighter is pretty unambiguously good, unlike say, law enforcement.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Male Man posted:

Fire just wants to be free, man.

Fire's freedom ends at my property line boy. :bahgawd:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

"I wanna be Pintsize, not some guy!"

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Error 404 posted:

This is my thinking too. And I think that the weird knife she has that looks ceramic, might be somehow made along the same lines as Cleaver's blades.
This is pure speculation, but here's my theory:
Cleaver has been shown to be the only one who can hurt Alison
Cleaver's in government custody, it seems likely they're studying him the best way they can.
Maybe the knife is a prototype based on studying Cleaver.
Moonshadow acquired this super sharp magic knife somehow: She probably has government contacts, she hired the mercs, maybe she's got a lot of money, maybe she just stole it

I'm thinking it'll be her vs Alison, and the stakes will be super-high because Alison can obviously crush her instantly if she catches her, but Moonshadow would have something that can potentially kill Alison, and invisibility.

They got a bunch of money from that movie, not sure how much though, that might cover her activities.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Knifeball isn't that safe a game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oracle posted:

Rape is endemic in the armed forces, and all her previous victims have been sex offenders who have gotten away with it.

Plus it'll help set up why Allison's reaction to Rapey McMolesterson the Earl of Surprise of the lands of Taking Advantage of Impaired Young Women, wasn't 100% appropriate.

• Locked thread