Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

bango skank posted:

That's because the only point anyone in this thread is trying to make is "White people, BAD!"

"White people" as an institution are, in fact, reprehensible towards the groups they regularly marginalize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"White people" were created solely as a method of exclusion. Before imperialism and slavery, there were just English people, French people, whatever. It wasn't until the Atlantic Slave Trade and colonialism that Europeans had to come up with a system to oppress people based on skin color. That isn't to say that racism didn't exist before the 1600s, but it was different back in medieval times and ancient times. The Greeks were pretty racist but they didn't have a system of "white people vs non-white people", but rather "Greek vs non-Greek". Same with the Romans, the Chinese, etc.

This could all be wrong, of course; I'm just relaying what I've read and heard over the years, but that's the basic gist as I currently understand it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blue Star posted:

"White people" were created solely as a method of exclusion. Before imperialism and slavery, there were just English people, French people, whatever. It wasn't until the Atlantic Slave Trade and colonialism that Europeans had to come up with a system to oppress people based on skin color. That isn't to say that racism didn't exist before the 1600s, but it was different back in medieval times and ancient times. The Greeks were pretty racist but they didn't have a system of "white people vs non-white people", but rather "Greek vs non-Greek". Same with the Romans, the Chinese, etc.

This could all be wrong, of course; I'm just relaying what I've read and heard over the years, but that's the basic gist as I currently understand it.

So "because people didn't travel much people didn't see people of different colors often and hence there was no need to classify people based on skin color".

That's more of an argument of means than anything else.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The crown of Racism Megathread descends upon this thread with the posting of this good op-ed.

quote:

Polls show that more whites believe in ghosts than believe racism is a problem in America. I guess that’s why Ghost Hunters is so popular but my show, Racist Wranglers, never got picked up. Maybe the reason is how we define racism.

Paula Deen, Cliven Bundy, Don Imus. Not racists.

To their family, closest friends and adoring pets, they’re just plain-speaking Americans who have probably said the phrase, “I don’t care if you’re white, black, yellow or purple.” (FYI: You might be a racist if you’ve used that phrase.)

That’s why their faces have that shocked “Who me?” expression at the public outrage over their statements.

All of them could probably name several people of color among their friends, close acquaintances and business associates. All could probably cite minority folk they’ve personally helped through their generosity. Sterling was about to receive a second NAACP award (since canceled) for his work with minority children. He had a mixed-race girlfriend. What more proof can the public want of his “I don’t see color” purity!

What’s that? You say you need further proof that he can’t be a racist?

Commentator Bill O’Reilly informed us that discrimination is “all in the past.” Fox News’ Eric Bolling seconded that by saying, “Is there racism? I don’t believe there’s racism.” A Republican National Committee tweet on the 58th anniversary of Rosa Parks’ arrest confirmed the body of racism had been buried: “Today we remember Rosa Parks’ bold stand and her role in ending racism.” Bam! Done! Mic drop!

Still not convinced?

How about the U.S. Supreme Court, you skeptical naysayers. The Justices (all wearing black gospel robes in support of racial equality) confirm Sterling and Pals’ assertion that they are not racists by proclaiming, “Racism is dead!” Well, if not dead, at least suffering from debilitating acid reflux. Several of their recent decisions, invalidating key parts of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and striking down affirmative action, were based on the court’s assessment that “We’ve come a long way, baby” since the civil rights movement of the 1960s. I’m surprised they didn’t close their decision with a wink and a “Can you dig it?”

Well, go tell it on the mountain, Justices, because down here in the flatlands of daily living, racism isn’t just alive, but it’s cloning faster than Sean Hannity can backpedal his support of Cliven Bundy.

Racism today isn’t like the racism pre–Martin Luther King Jr. Today we are faced with “situational racism.” This is similar to situational ethics, a philosophical and theological movement that argues that rather than having fixed, one-size-fits-all ethical rules of behavior, the context of each situation must be considered before determining the correct moral choice. Situational racism applies this flexible principle by declaring we must act according to a realistic analysis of race as it is in our society right now, not as we wish it were.

The clichéd example: You’re walking down a dark, deserted street and a bunch of black teens adorned with dagger tattoos and carrying bongs made from human skulls are walking toward you. If you cross the street, are you being a racist or a realist?

That’s what Sterling meant when he said on the tape, “It’s the world! … We don’t evaluate what’s right and wrong, we live in a society. We live in a culture. We have to live within that culture … I don’t want to change the culture because I can’t. It’s too big …” He didn’t see his attitude as racist, just a practical reaction to a racist world.

Basically, he’s saying, “It’s not me. It’s Society! It’s the Man! I’m just a helpless pawn, a clump of toilet paper caught in the swirling toilet bowl of history.” The housing discrimination he was convicted of wasn’t racism, it was just practical business sense. After all, he’s in business to make money, not history.

Maybe the worst racism of all is denying that racism exists, because that keeps us from repairing the damage. This country needs a social colonoscopy to look for the hidden racist polyps. And we aren’t doing ourselves any good by saying, “I feel fine. Everything’s fine. Nothing to see here.”

The truth is, everyone has racism in his or her heart. We feel more comfortable around people of similar appearance, backgrounds and experiences. But, as intelligent, educated and civilized humans, we fight our knee-jerk reactions because we recognize that those reactions are often wrong and ultimately harmful.

One symptom of the malady is the many apologists using the election of President Obama as proof that racism doesn’t exist in the U.S. Yes, his position truly is a sign of the distance we’ve all covered in the last few decades. But, as recent events have proved, this race is a marathon and President Obama is merely a milestone, not the finish line.

The finish line is when racism no longer exists, not when people claim it doesn’t exist because they personally don’t notice it. Why is it that the people who are declaring racism dead are mostly white? Because if you’re not a targeted group, you don’t notice it. A 2006 CNN poll showed 49% of blacks saying racism is a “very serious” problem, while only 18% of whites agreed. A 2012 Associated Press poll showed that 51% of Americans expressed anti-black attitudes, up from 48% in a 2008 survey. Also, 52% displayed anti-Hispanic biases.

Every time the media call attention to racism, it raises the awareness of those who otherwise might not have noticed it around them. It’s a variation of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon, in which someone learns a new bit of information and suddenly sees the information being used in multiple places in a short period of time. The reason for this is that the brain is constantly inundated with so much information that it rejects what it considers uninteresting (“uninteresting” being things that don’t affect you personally). This process is known as “selective attention.”

That’s why the best way to combat racism in the face of selective attention and situational racism is to seek it out every minute of every day and expose every instance we find. And not just racism, but also sexism, homophobia and every other kind of injustice that lessens the principles of inclusion that define this country.

We can’t let others control the perception or the message. We’ve got to go tell it on the mountain ourselves.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 23, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

SedanChair posted:

Polls show that more whites believe in ghosts than believe racism is a problem in America. I guess that’s why Ghost Hunters is so popular but my show, Racist Wranglers, never got picked up.

FWIW white people are more likely to have experienced ghosts than racism.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!
Nobody is saying that non-white people can't be racist or prejudiced or whatever, they're saying that they have so little opportunity or social influence that it basically doesn't matter.

If I ever apply for a job as, I dunno the New Black Panther Party's accountant(where the gently caress else would this happen?), and I get rejected because of the color of my skin I'll just apply ANYWHERE ELSE. No big deal.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The word we should use to describe white people being harmed by the prejudice of non-white people is "outlier". No more, no less.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Time for Louis CK to explain it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

The crown of Racism Megathread descends upon this thread with the posting of this good op-ed.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
That's actually a garbage op-ed because it's means of solving racism is poo poo and terrible, and reason numero uno that no one listens to the left. Are you seriously agreeing with the idea that 'raising awareness' is going to solve racism one loving iota? Hasn't the slacktivist strategy of 'microaggression tumblrs' actually turned out to be a complete loving joke? If mainstream society doesn't even take you seriously, how the gently caress are you going to change it?

Solving of racism must begin at the material level, and from that will flow on social-cultural enlightenment. It cannot be solved by garbage symbolic rhetoric, because as we've seen, people will just tune out.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If racism is defined as systemic race-based discrimination, then you need to reorder society to where that no longer exists. You'd end the war on drugs, you'd expand the health care system to serve the black population that is chronically underserved by it. You'd expand child care services to black parents. You might even have a reparations program. You'd do a lot of stuff. You'd eliminate disparities in income and employment. You'd drastically reform how we incarcerate people. You'd remove employment discrimination against workers with felony records. All of which serves as a machine for reproducing racial disparities. And then once the society eliminates racism -- over a period of many decades -- it wouldn't matter if a white person like Paula Deen says something anti-black, because her words wouldn't be backed up by anything. Her words would have as much power behind them as anti-white comments do today. She wouldn't be able to really hurt anyone.

But if that's the case, then it doesn't really matter what Paula Deen thinks about anything. It doesn't really matter what's in her heart because that's not where the problem is. The suggestion that we "seek it out [racism] every minute of every day and expose every instance we find" isn't going to change the fundamental structure of society. What you'd get is a kind of permanent state of witchhunting and denunciation on the left with growing bitterness and evasion on the right. What you'd get is the status quo.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 26, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

That's actually a garbage op-ed because it's means of solving racism is poo poo and terrible, and reason numero uno that no one listens to the left. Are you seriously agreeing with the idea that 'raising awareness' is going to solve racism one loving iota? Hasn't the slacktivist strategy of 'microaggression tumblrs' actually turned out to be a complete loving joke? If mainstream society doesn't even take you seriously, how the gently caress are you going to change it?

So Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who has maybe seen his share of racism and progress away from it since uh playing in the NBA in the 1960s and converting to Islam thinks black people should speak up and point out racism. Forums poster rudatron thinks no, black people should remain quiet and when they speak, that's "the problem with the left." It's also "microaggression tumblr" for the black legend formerly known as Lew Alcindor to weigh in on his experiences with racism, rudatron says.

Let me go ahead and weigh these opinions.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty telling that you automatically equivocate between 'slacktivism solves nothing' and 'uppity blacks', that sounds like a very convenient tool for you.

Raising awareness is garbage and always will be. No one's telling people to not share their experiences, but you're delusion if you think a post-race society is one anecdote or one graph away; it's not, that's not how ideology works, and you're naive if you think otherwise.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 26, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I just don't see why you would equate anything Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has ever done, including that editorial, to slacktivism. Oh wait I might have an idea as to why.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How the gently caress did you get "stay quiet, uppity blacks" out of "black people need to do more than just speak up"?

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How the gently caress did you get "stay quiet, uppity blacks" out of "black people need to do more than just speak up"?

Well this is a democracy... so what else could they do? You've got your voice and your fists, and the latter usually doesn't work out too well for minorities.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"If I don't see bonfires, you're not African-Americaning hard enough Kareem." :smug:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

So "because people didn't travel much people didn't see people of different colors often and hence there was no need to classify people based on skin color".

That's more of an argument of means than anything else.

If anything people traveled more back then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
Why can't you guys discuss this without trying to sneakily imply that the guy you're talking to is a racist?

SedanChair posted:

So Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who has maybe seen his share of racism and progress away from it since uh playing in the NBA in the 1960s and converting to Islam thinks black people should speak up and point out racism. Forums poster rudatron thinks no, black people should remain quiet and when they speak, that's "the problem with the left." It's also "microaggression tumblr" for the black legend formerly known as Lew Alcindor to weigh in on his experiences with racism, rudatron says.

Let me go ahead and weigh these opinions.

And this is stupid as hell, if you give no poo poo about his opinion, why not just read Kareem Abdul Jabbar's articles all day instead of talking to someone that you don't care to hear from? Be easy, nigga

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Impatient Skype JO posted:

And this is stupid as hell, if you give no poo poo about his opinion, why not just read Kareem Abdul Jabbar's articles all day instead of talking to someone that you don't care to hear from? Be easy, nigga

I dunno, man. I think its pretty amusing. Besides, aren't you suggesting that people should ignore others that don't agree with them? That's no bueno.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Impatient Skype JO posted:

Why can't you guys discuss this without trying to sneakily imply that the guy you're talking to is a racist?

I wasn't trying to be particularly sneaky...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

If racism is defined as systemic race-based discrimination, then you need to reorder society to where that no longer exists.

How do you do this when people are racist and vote for racist politicians who want to preserve systemic race-based discrimination?

Apparently convincing people is out because that will just make the left shrill and the right bitter and stubborn, so we...?
...?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

rudatron posted:

It's pretty telling that you automatically equivocate between 'slacktivism solves nothing' and 'uppity blacks', that sounds like a very convenient tool for you.

Raising awareness is garbage and always will be. No one's telling people to not share their experiences, but you're delusion if you think a post-race society is one anecdote or one graph away; it's not, that's not how ideology works, and you're naive if you think otherwise.

:shrug: I'm glad, though, that we exist in a time that gives us so much access/ways to say "hey, poo poo's racist and hosed up," and not get beat up/lynched for it. I'm perfectly alright with these mysterious tumblrs about micro-aggression existing because at least minorities have a place to vent/share their experiences rather than mutter about things like we used to do before. Now, how effective can raising awareness be? Yeah, it's worth is limited if it's not paired with action, but I won't decry people for doing whatever they can/will do to fight something as overwhelming as white society. That's just petty and does smack of 'be quite you uppity negroes' because you're just telling people to shut up about their lives/experiences as if they have 0 value.

And who knows, a particularly awful account might spur some white soul into rethinking their outlook. I've seen it happen, although only once and it was after a face-to-face confrontation of the person's racism.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

rudatron posted:

So should I...overthrow the social order?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I think one thing that can be done is better education, education that emphasizes critical thinking and deep examination of the self and the world. My reasoning is that while racism still exists, and in fact is all over the place, it's not on the surface. It's no longer a bunch of guys marching down the street in pointy white hoods, instead it has become an insidious sort of thing and people are pretty blind to it unless they are looking for it.

I think stronger forms of AA might be a good part of the solution too, part of what keeps minorities out of various positions in society is just that people find the idea of seeing them in those positions odd or strange and many people have an almost instinctive aversion to anything new, odd or strange. As an example when someone say the word "nurse" what comes to most people's minds is the image of a kindly woman, that is a bias created by society and reinforced by that instinctive aversion to anything out of place or against peoples sense of propriety.

The more people see minorities in positions of power the less strange it will seem to society at large, hence more and stronger forms of AA. To use an obvious example: After having Obama as president I think that way fewer people, especially young people, will find the idea of a black dude in the presidency to be strange.

But in the end I think racism and other forms of arbitrary discrimination will continue to exist as long as arbitrary differences and those who would take advantage of such arbitrary differences continue to exist, it's not a fight you win, it's a fight that has to take place for each and every new generation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Microaggression tumblr" seems to be getting celebrities and wealthy people in hot water all the time, and prompting national conversations about more insidious and persistent forms of racism. So what the gently caress exactly is the problem with raising awareness, paired with nothing but itself?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

SedanChair posted:

"Microaggression tumblr" seems to be getting celebrities and wealthy people in hot water all the time, and prompting national conversations about more insidious and persistent forms of racism. So what the gently caress exactly is the problem with raising awareness, paired with nothing but itself?

It's not REAL ACTION so it doesn't matter ever. Again, I still hold that the ~*tumblr sjw*~ hate is just 21st century way of angrily saying friend of the family-lover, but also implying that they're useless internet hippies on top of being dirty race-mixers.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

It's not REAL ACTION so it doesn't matter ever. Again, I still hold that the ~*tumblr sjw*~ hate is just 21st century way of angrily saying friend of the family-lover, but also implying that they're useless internet hippies on top of being dirty race-mixers.

That is a super fuckin stupid thing to say.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Yes, some crazy people exist on Tumblr/Social Media, but they're far from the majority.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Everyone who isn't a straight white person is far from the majority, what's your point?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Maybe we shouldn't judge the sites/their user-base based on the actions of insane/petulant/attention-seeking otherkin, furries, transethics/fat/w.e? Are you trying to equate the ramblings of these people to the struggles of actual minorities or?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man I don't give a poo poo about this dumb thread about dumb internet people thinking white people want slavery back, you said anyone who uses the term SJW may as well be using the term friend of the family-lover, and that was a dumb thing to say, because there's a fuckin ton of SJWs out there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Just smearing by finding the most ridiculous people in the world and somehow tying them to people with substantive complaints. It's nothing new.

I mean, nobody answered what Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has to do with tumblr.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Man I don't give a poo poo about this dumb thread about dumb internet people thinking white people want slavery back, you said anyone who uses the term SJW may as well be using the term friend of the family-lover, and that was a dumb thing to say, because there's a fuckin ton of SJWs out there.

And yet here you are, making posts.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

And yet here you are, making posts.

yea but i didn't post about the point of the thread, i posted about a post in the thread, it's different.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Counterpoint: Jesse Jackson said a thing once decades ago ergo you're all the same

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Just smearing by finding the most ridiculous people in the world and somehow tying them to people with substantive complaints. It's nothing new.

He presents racism as the insidious enemy that's everywhere - and if you don't see it, it's only because it makes you blind to its presence. This makes dismissing anyone who criticizes the article in any way incredibly easy. If you disagree with any of his claims, you automatically are proven wrong - because it only means you're too racist to perceive how bad your society is.

This is exactly the thing that's prominent in tumblr SJW stuff - their world view doesn't account for possibility they can ever be proven wrong. You can't disagree with them about the level of their oppression, because this either marks you as one of the oppressors or their brainwashed lackeys. You can't criticize their methods or even tone, because of course you are just saying this because you're defending your privilege. They are blogging versions of Monty Python's Black Knight, trying to achieve victory by never admitting defeat.

Otherkins, transblacks and "white-women-can't-be-raped" weirdos are thought as exemplars of SJW because they use the same tactics to defend incredibly stupid and ridiculous causes. The end result is that they spend most of their time in little fap circles, driving away anyone who isn't willing to support them unconditionally.

tldr: Tone argument.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

He presents racism as the insidious enemy that's everywhere - and if you don't see it, it's only because it makes you blind to its presence. This makes dismissing anyone who criticizes the article in any way incredibly easy. If you disagree with any of his claims, you automatically are proven wrong - because it only means you're too racist to perceive how bad your society is.

This is exactly the thing that's prominent in tumblr SJW stuff - their world view doesn't account for possibility they can ever be proven wrong. You can't disagree with them about the level of their oppression, because this either marks you as one of the oppressors or their brainwashed lackeys. You can't criticize their methods or even tone, because of course you are just saying this because you're defending your privilege. They are blogging versions of Monty Python's Black Knight, trying to achieve victory by never

So your argument, then, isn't that racism everywhere? Because that's an interesting position. How would you argue that?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Zelder posted:

So your argument, then, isn't that racism everywhere? Because that's an interesting position. How would you argue that?

No. My argument is that the stance "racism is everywhere and the fact that you don't see it proves its prevalence" is not falsifiable and unlikely to convince anyone who doesn't already hold this point of view themselves.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 27, 2014

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

So your argument is that the truth (and the truth is that racism is everywhere, it's an institutional problem) is unnappealing and unlikely to convince people, so we shouldn't talk about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Gantolandon posted:

No. My argument is that the stance "racism is everywhere and the fact that you don't see it proves its prevalence" is not falsifiable and unlikely to convince anyone who doesn't already hold this point of view themselves.

That's not the argument being put forth, hope this helps.

• Locked thread