Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SedanChair posted:

OP, would whites re-institute slavery today if they could in as literal a manner as you intend the question, and in as literal a manner as you are capable of processing arguments? Of course not. Markets proved wage slavery to be generally superior to chattel slavery, which is why the South got all butthurt and started a terroristic civil war to begin with.

Is the status quo of racism any better than chattel slavery--or if it is, is credit due to whites for this improved state? No, and this is what your friends seem to understand. I like your friends by the way, and I'm glad they're patient with you.

A modest proportion of whites, when presented with black movements that were making headway, elected to join in rather than continuing to push back. I don't really see how you can deny LBJ some credit for some improvement.

But pretty much every advancement in the treatment of black people has started with black action.

Also, MarksMan, do you honestly think your father would have had comparable opportunities if he was black? Good on him for clawing his way up from poverty AND for not being a shithead, but I doubt there's a white man in this country that hasn't gotten better treatment than a black man in the same conditions would have. (I guess some weird hypothetical of a white guy in an almost entirely black community getting systematically poo poo on would qualify, but even then the reverse is way more common.)

Heck, treatment of whites and blacks by the military in Vietnam wasn't even remotely comparable. Assuming your father were a black man coming out of Jackson, Mississippi doing biochemistry work in university well enough to make the recruiters give a poo poo, I wouldn't be at all certain that he'd get the same offer. Maybe they offer to pay part of his tuition, maybe his gumption and discipline get him work that lets him pay off his debt without trouble, maybe his customers (if private practice) or boss (if not) are as accommodating as the ones in this universe were and he doesn't lose money or advancement due to racist shitbags, maybe he manages to get the same good terms on a house despite rampant bank-centric racism.

At which point you are a young black man moving out of your well-off father's house at 17, after a remarkably good upbringing for your demographic, endeavoring to support yourself in a country where a black man with a clean record has about the same hiring prospects as a white felon with the same skillset.

Good luck.

(This is a longer version than Sharkie, but it has some very brief mentions of examples in exactly why it sucks to be black in modern America and sucked even worse in many ways in past America, and ways in which it's nice to be white that white people don't even notice.

Speaking as a white male, I highly recommend being a white male and recommend that everyone try it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bango skank posted:

That's because the only point anyone in this thread is trying to make is "White people, BAD!"

Nope.

• Locked thread