Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

VitalSigns posted:

Please link the posts itt that said "kill white people", k thanks.

Who What Now posted:

This but unironically. Eat the rich, kill whitey.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

nutranurse posted:

It's a drive-by shitpost from a dude who has posted nothing else in the thread.

Hey, he asked. :shrug:

SedanChair posted:

"Whitey" is an idea. :smugdog:

Yes, races are social constructs, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about killing people of a certain skin color.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Don't forget that he was also advocating cannibalism. Why won't you address the real issues of cannibal-apologism?

You can make a thread about that if you want I guess.

Anyway, if you didn't want someone to respond to your question you shouldn't have asked it. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

No, you misunderstand. "Whitey" is a power relation.

I'm not going to get into a semantic argument on what that other guy meant.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Yes. I was 100% serious. You can tell because I used the term "unironically", a word that has never been used in an ironic manner itself. It would be impossible to do so, you see. That's how you can tell. You are a loving genius, and not at all retarded.

Sorry for taking your words at face value. :shrug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

As far as this discussion of Affirmative Action goes, it looks like a well intentioned system with some flaws like the aforementioned rich, foreign minorities receiving much of the benefits when the system was meant to primarily benefit African Americans. But this seems like a problem for reforms to fix, not a problem that would require the system to be dismantled entirely.

To have this discussion we would really need to get into the nitty-gritty policy details of AA, have the needed statistics at hand or the ability to have such facts and statistics gathered if they do not already exist and have experts at hand to consult. Frankly I don't think we have the ability or resources to have a really useful discussion about this topic beyond it providing idle entertainment for us.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sure you're relieved to discover that he's not literally salivating at the thought of sinking his teeth into the soft, meaty, overfed meat of the 1%.

Not really, I don't have any particular problem with cannibalism other than finding the idea of engaging in it discomforting on a personal level.

But I think we are getting pretty far afield here, you could make a thread about the subject if you want.

Zelder posted:

AVeryLargeRadish is a really smart poster who has made a bunch of good posts in this thread.

Thanks. :)

Edit:

E-Tank posted:

Its the internet, and someone literally was advocating for the act of cannibalism regarding the rich. You're the type of person who looked at 'A Modest Proposal' and thought it was 100% legit, and could not at all be a satirical paper pointing out how lovely the poors have it.

It's not that I don't see the possibly of satire or irony, it's that I prefer to take others statements at face value. If the statement was meant to be ironic I can always apologize later as I did with Who What Now. :)

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Really? The cannibalism didn't tip you off that I was being facetious? You actually thought I hungered for the flesh of America's top earners? Really? REALLY?!

It's not my place to dictate your beliefs, I think that would be pretty rude of me.

Who What Now posted:

"Oh, I'm sorry I thought you were a literal cannibal."

Yep, what a great apology you made. Super sincere:.

Hmmm, I get the sense that you are being facetious here but if you meant it in another way I apologize in advance for my misunderstanding.

If you were a cannibal I wouldn't really have a problem with that as long as you are not harming others, for example religious endocannibalism. Unfortunately there are public health issues raised by cannibalism such as the spread of diseases like the Kuru epidemic amongst the Fore people. But we are getting pretty far off topic, this seems like a subject for a separate thread, so if you want to continue I'd be willing to outside of this thread.

If you felt my apology was insincere or offensive in any way I also apologize for that, I'm sorry.

Edit:

Enjoy posted:

Forums user AVeryLargeRadish, I find it hard to believe that you are, as your name implies, a vegetable. Could you confirm for us all whether this is or is not the case?

I am, in fact, not. Apologies if my forum handle caused you any confusion. :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Who What Now posted:

No, you seemed quite happy to say I would literally commit a single-handed genocide against a race that has a particular lack of melatonin. So why are you suddenly so afraid to commit, I wonder?

The original statement you made seemed rather unambiguous, as I said, I took it at face value, this was in error and I apologize for misinterpreting what you said. :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Zelder posted:

edit: KILL WHITEY. AVeryLargeRadish, when you get to this, I want you to know, that I unironically mean this and that there is no irony in my statement. Take me at face value!

Ok, will do. But I think it's not a very nice sentiment and I'm sorry you feel that way. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Zelder posted:

A black person complaining about white people is a person punching upwards, so the venting makes sense (white people oppress black people, black people don't oppress white people)

A straight person complaining about gay people is a person punching downwards, so they're just being a dickhole, which is the case of your fictional, homophobic, xenophobic Russian Girlfrien.

I think that falls apart when you get down to individuals instead of societies or cultures. I mean if someones boss is race X and the boss denies a subordinate raises or promotions purely because that subordinate is of race Y the boss is being a racist regardless of the societal power balance between races X and Y, yes?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

DeadmansReach posted:

Keep in mind that any time a white person is passed over for a promotion or not hired for a job/accepted to a college, etc they're already ready to blame affirmative action so that probably colors their perception of events such as your example. Let's also keep in mind that this example is invariably less common than a situation where the roles were reversed. I just can't make myself feel terribly concerned.

First off saying that all white people are immediately ready to blame AA when they don't get a promotion is just the same sort of thing that white racists say about blacks, stop treating an arbitrary group as a monolith. And yes, a black boss discriminating against a white employee is much rarer than the reverse, hence why there does not need to be a response from society as a whole such as programs like AA. But the rarity or commonality of that situation does not justify it, in either example the discrimination is wrong.

DeadmansReach posted:

I guess you could examine the class aspect of it at that point. A wealthy minority could be accused of "punching down" at a poor white person, but it doesn't happen in a vacuum and it doesn't strip that white person of all their privilege suddenly.

Of course it does not, but I am talking about individual actors and the interactions between them, just because the poor white in the example is coming from a place of racial privilege compared to their boss does not mean that the boss's discrimination on basis of race is justified.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

If you want to know why I was arguing it's mostly because I'm really pedantic and I hate seeing people make generalizations. I also think that if you're going to be crusading against discrimination that you should avoid making generalizations because it can make you look hypocritical and that can cause people to dismiss what you have to say out of hand without examining it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone contributes in minor ways, even subconsciously, because we were born and raised in a racist, sexist, homophobic society and those prejudices are drilled into us by our culture before we can even think. Part of the conversation about bigotry is that it's not a black-and-white line (heh) like either you're a full-on Grand Wizard of the KKK or you're 100% not-racist. There have been studies done where identical resumes get significantly higher call-back ratios depending on whether the name sounds stereotypically white or African American. Everybody is racist to some degree and we can't fight it if we don't acknowledge that it exists.

Yeah, I know all that. The fact that unconscious racism exists is a big part of why I think that if you're going to make arguments against discrimination you should be extremely careful to not make any arbitrary generalizations yourself. I think that applies even more so when you are talking to strangers or using a semi-anonymous medium like an internet forum because your argument becomes its' own context and if people see that context as "Racism is bad because [good arguments] but gently caress those white people, fuckin' racists right?" they are going to doubt or dismiss your good arguments because of the hypocrisy of the second statement.

VitalSigns posted:

Anyone who "would have been on my side" if only I'd not generalized and I'd qualified everything with "but it's possible that somewhere some white person may have never contributed to this system", would not actually have been on my side.

I disagree. People can dismiss things out of hand pretty easily at the slightest hint of hypocrisy, especially if your argument makes them feel uncomfortable or guilty. Is it really so difficult to tread on eggshells when making these arguments? Is it not worth treading with great care if it might convince someone or even just chip away at their unjust beliefs so that one day they might see the error of their ways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I think one thing that can be done is better education, education that emphasizes critical thinking and deep examination of the self and the world. My reasoning is that while racism still exists, and in fact is all over the place, it's not on the surface. It's no longer a bunch of guys marching down the street in pointy white hoods, instead it has become an insidious sort of thing and people are pretty blind to it unless they are looking for it.

I think stronger forms of AA might be a good part of the solution too, part of what keeps minorities out of various positions in society is just that people find the idea of seeing them in those positions odd or strange and many people have an almost instinctive aversion to anything new, odd or strange. As an example when someone say the word "nurse" what comes to most people's minds is the image of a kindly woman, that is a bias created by society and reinforced by that instinctive aversion to anything out of place or against peoples sense of propriety.

The more people see minorities in positions of power the less strange it will seem to society at large, hence more and stronger forms of AA. To use an obvious example: After having Obama as president I think that way fewer people, especially young people, will find the idea of a black dude in the presidency to be strange.

But in the end I think racism and other forms of arbitrary discrimination will continue to exist as long as arbitrary differences and those who would take advantage of such arbitrary differences continue to exist, it's not a fight you win, it's a fight that has to take place for each and every new generation.

• Locked thread