Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I don't understand how anyone could deny the fact that systemic racism is literally everywhere in America and is a huge-rear end deal. I mentioned in another thread about how I had to watch my brother explain systemic racism to my nephew since my nephew's grown several inches over the last few months. My nephew is only 15 and lives in a predominantly white area and goes to a predominantly white high school and over the last half year, he's noticed how people look at him when he's hanging out with his mostly white group of friends.

It's depressing on so many levels to have to tell a kid that even though you're "equal," you aren't equal. I'm not entirely sure it can be explained to someone who has never experienced it before, but rest assured that everyday racism is something blacks and non-whites deal with constantly. I've seen people cross the street rather than walk on the same sidewalk as me. I've personally spoken with interviewers on the phone then witnessed their surprise at the fact that I'm black (and also the shift in disposition that may entail.) It's incredibly disingenuous to label anyone who cares about racial matters as some sort of tumblr-using white teenager riddled with guilt because they watched 12 Years A Slave. Until people like natetimm realize that discrediting the experiences of an entire ethnic group is a Really lovely Thing, I doubt we'll have any sort of meaningful discussions about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

on the left posted:

I don't get it, do you think that all racism is bad, or do you prioritize racism based on some sort of oppression olympics system?

It seems like the anti-racist modus operandi is to say "I hate racism", then post a bunch of edgy "kill white people" comments and ignore any racism that won't provide sufficient oneupsmanship against wrongthinkers.

All racism is bad. Ironic racism is still racism. Hope this helps.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Zelder posted:

Edit: also natetimm I know you're poo poo posting, but keep ignoring me and I'll have you brought before the High Black Council, where Sharpton, Kanye, and half of Obama dole out racial justice.

Jesus, dude, don't let people know about the council. It's already hard enough now that the RZA let the Wu-Tang secret slip out.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

bango skank posted:

That's because the only point anyone in this thread is trying to make is "White people, BAD!"

"White people" as an institution are, in fact, reprehensible towards the groups they regularly marginalize.

• Locked thread