Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Bad books are actually much more dangerous than bad films, records or football games or whatever. You've got 300 pages of complete poo poo, that's 10 hours, a seriously loving long time. You focus totally on some terrible magic space ship book for 10+ hours, in terms of intellectual development and mental health that's roughly equivalent to getting black out drunk, I'd say. The fight against bad books is much more important than the fight against TV or britpop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The Walking Dad posted:

Wagner had to synthesize the Germanic Epic from scraps. Elias Lönnrot just had to take a pen and write it down first hand.

Nonsense. Lönnrot created the narrative in Kalevala, most of the stories in it had no clear connection when they were collected.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Now that newspapers are axing their literary contingent, what's a good place online that serves the same purpose? I'm mostly limited to reading 1 star reviews of JR on goodreads.

If you can afford to buy newspapers, you can afford to subscribe to LRB and NYRB or whatever.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Who buys newspapers they put all their poo poo online.

I can see why they're axing the lit pages.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

CestMoi posted:

I actually truly believe it and wanted to express my opinion and just happened to do it at a time that makes it look like I was being sarcastic.

Are you sure it's not you who's a bit thick and finds good books hard to read? Like, I mean, that's obviously an atrocious opinion, and probably an ethically disastrous one at that, considering how it tries so hard to disregard every literary tradition outside of some modern trends originating from roughly between Trieste and Harvard.

e: I'm not sure why I'm doing this.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

The talks of 'leftist bias' of the committee calmed down after right-leaning and often very politically outspoken Mario Vargas Llosa won it in 2010.

Although, quite to the contrary, it's been pointed out that MVL's very public criticism of Israel in the 2000s finally made him an acceptable Nobel candidate.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that. Israel might be one of the few topics that both sides of the political spectrum agree on.

Nah man the point was that Israel/Palestine is such a divisive left/right issue that Vargas Llosa crossing the floor finally made him a contender in the eyes of this not-entirely-supposed leftist literary bloc. Not that you should award fascists anything ever.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Tenacious J posted:

1) My myopic lizardbrain recognizes that the story has already been repackaged dozens of times in modern movies and cheap books, so it's familiar to me. Seeing the origin of the story is maybe a little interesting but that never goes far and I get bored. How can I change my perspective here?

Stories are of trivial importance. If you were reading, say, the aforementioned Crime & Punishment for the story, you wouldn't feel too happy about finishing it. There is gently caress all of a story. And you know what? Stories are for keeping children sitting still for twenty minutes. In great literature stories are frames, connecting devices. You can take pretty much any great book and condense the story to two completely banal sentences. You absolutely shouldn't focus on them.

e: don't be this guy:

The Dennis System posted:

Nothing happens in that book.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

mallamp posted:

Huh? You'd have to be pretty deep into Dawkins level aggressive atheism to feel that Dostoyevsky has 'intense hatred' of atheism.
Compared to other writers of the era Dostoyevsky explores both sides (atheism vs. theism) pretty well...
But in the end he did choose theism so if that bothers you then yeah, don't read him I guess.

No, I'm pretty sure Dostoyevsky did indeed hate atheism pretty intensely. Like, read The Demons?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Astrofig posted:

I tried reading The Divine Comedy once, but fully half the text was taken up by explanations. Explaining what particular research this author who compiled the volume did, backed by what institution, and this was what Florentine politics were like in Aligheri's day and oh yes this is the kind of coins they used and such and such peoples were persecuted thusly and here's how the church was involved and la-dee-dah more about the loving church and gee I bet you thought you'd actually get to reading the actual work at some point didn't you!

I eventually gave up; it wasn't worth the effort.

So what you're saying is that you wanted to read the book without even remotely understanding it? Significant parts of it are commentaries on medieval politics, both church and secular.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

ShaqDiesel posted:

Probably been mentioned several times but can anyone recommend a reading list of important/major books of western civilization? If you have a suggested reading order please include that as well. Obviously there are a lot online but I wanted goon perspective on this.

Unless you have Infinite Time that's a really absurd task to take on. Try reading The Bible and then report back on whether that was a lot of fun.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Yeah no I've read the Bible too, my point was that it's a good indicator for whether you'll actually enjoy something like the Iliad or Aquinas or whatever, or whether you'd just be doing it for some kind of perceived intellectual credit.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

HELLO LADIES posted:

I don't think the Bible is necessarily a good litmus test for "do you like classics circle one y/n", though. The stories show up everywhere, but it's not written as literature at all and huge parts of it are painful in a way that most other classics aren't, esp. if you eliminate stuff like Aquinas that's basically theological commentary. The OT probably isn't a very good predictor of whether or not you'll be able to get through Zola, for example, even though they're both basically dynastic stories with a moral/philosophical theme.

Right, but if you approach this project with the idea of finding "important/major books" in Western history, some of the least questionable choices would also be the most painful ones to read. Something like Zola (who I absolutely love) appears half way through the list as a footnote to Das Kapital. Like, to be clear here, I'm just underlining the absurdity of such a project.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

poisonpill posted:

I'd throw Moby Dick on here (Norton Critical ed. will help a lot), but mainly just so this isn't an empty-quote. This is the short list, doesn't make sense to read more until you've started here.

Boccaccio > Chaucer, Ovid = Virgil, Aristotle = Plato.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

J_RBG posted:

TV flattens out regional dialects

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't actually happen. I'm pretty sure it's been shown that mass media exposure to different dialects doesn't actually cause any particular spread of those dialects. Vocabulary, sure, but that's different.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

JackKnight posted:

I should probably have made the point that less and less people are using English to its full potential.

That's a daft loving point too.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

If I had to pick a book to kick Travic out of this bizarre high school mentality I'd choose Saramago's Blindness. It is absolutely blatantly not only about blindness.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Travic posted:

I actually own that book and I adore it.

Cosmic.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

I'm about halfway through and mostly just struggling to stay interested. Mostly just curious if there's some sort of conclusion or revelation or other payoff. It's been quite a slog for me.

There's a moderate payoff for the story about the lost author whom the two dudes are looking for, but that's hardly what's great or significant about the book. The second part in particular "goes nowhere" if that's what you feared. I absolutely loved that book though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Moacher posted:

I just finished Catch 22 yesterday. While I enjoyed it alright, thought it was quite clever in parts, and I feel like I "got" the various commentaries and absurdities that Heller was trying to present, I didn't love it the way everyone else seems to. This is a novel that appears on every "Top 100 novels of All Time" list you'll ever see, often in the top 20 or even top 10, and is many peoples' favorite book ever, and I only thought it was good. For these reasons, I face that dilemma of wondering if I'm the problem here, which I'm open to accepting as entirely possible.

Stop caring about Americans' literature opinions.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mercrom posted:

Can anyone recommend proper novels that explore and critizice utilitarian and nihilist concepts sort of the way Gen Urobuchi does but less anime?

Dostoyevsky's entire oeuvre.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Maybe someone should write an anti-rape novel to expose how rape is bad. That would be loving deep.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

UnoriginalMind posted:

when Pi is confronted by his parents and religious leaders for going to multiple churches of different faiths and his response is "I just want to love God." Yeah, on his terms. That's not love at all. That's selfish.

For "a strong atheist" this sounds like a strangely evangelical protestant opinion.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Falstaff Infection posted:

while I actually do think it qualifies as "capital L literature," that GRRM is a good author and a decent stylist (P.S. Saramago is overrated), this thread is hardly the place for that debate.

Nice Parthian shot, or as you kids call it, Dark Pedo Elf Dragon shot.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Everything set in the real world suggests that it's somehow due to my own spiritual failures that my life is bad. So I'm reading the book in which Batman beats up Albert Camus.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

mallamp posted:

The thing is that unlike Calvino, Game of Thrones is written for 12-year-old mental level so manchildren who spend 10 hours a day updating Facebook and killing poo poo in virtual worlds are able to read it

That's unfair, Invisible Cities has been quite popular among American readers.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I just meant that it's easier to comprehend than, say, my burns.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is interesting that you list art, culture, and society as important elements to analyze but don't mention people themselves. There is a value to a writer focusing on the human experience in itself, and I would argue it's the most important element of good fiction.

See, the problem is that the experience of the American human is worthless.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I've never read Eco, is he even worthwhile if I think Borges is garbage and am not a 16yo deeply impressed by a book mentioning Shah Babur?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Oh man way to stick it to those dumb Borges reading teenagers.

Don't patronise teens.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

The thread was titled "quit loving a child" etc. last night.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

the store owner didn't read fantasy.

So in a way he owned you.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She, you gender presumptivist!

You should've said "owneress".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I'd say the key thing with translations is that when you have one older than, say, 50, 60, 70 years, there's a good chance a lot of the tone of the original is lost to the modern reader. Like, if the earthly wisdom of the 19th century Russian muzhik is conveyed with Cockney chimey sweeper rhyming slang, at best it's inadvertently comic and at worst unreadable. As a policy I tend to avoid cheapo paperback English translations of classic works, because they always use these utterly awful late victorian translations whose copyright has expired.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Poetry is trash.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

That rich estimation of yours is still an absurd amount of effort considering all of Old English literature is basically Beowulf and The Annual Chronicles of Nicholaeus Dickweede of Plymouth Monastery.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

i sometimes want to learn chinese so i can read mao and cao cao's poetry

for some reason the notion of these brutal warlords writing beautiful poetry strikes a chord in me

A few Ottoman sultans wrote poetry, some of it about totally inane state matters, and during one of their many colourful civil wars the warring sultan candidates were sending poetry to each other, basically

Abdulhamid, you wretched hound
Please return Izmir safe and sound

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

IMO The Stranger is only overrated in the sense that it's life-altering capacities are overstated if you're over 17. Over. It's a fantastic story.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

Pretend I transcribed every time DFW tried to write "in dialect" in Infinite Jest.

Pretend I pasted DFW's astonishingly stupid essay on language politics here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I don't really understand Borges. But I do understand Bolaño who's basically a Borges who didn't go to Eton but has had sex.

ulvir posted:

My local library has both versions of Dictionary of the Khazars at hand. I think I'm going to borrow the feminine version.

the different versions are like the one stupid gimmicky thing that I don't like about that stupid wonderful gimmicky book. It's like one sentence.