Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The only novel I've read in Spanish outside of school was La Colmena. It took like 6 months and I decided to never play that game again.

Different note, I just finished The Blind Owl and I thought it ruled. Is any of Hedayat's other poo poo any good? I know that book was brought up earlier in the thread but sifting through all the fantasy dweeb posts makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
my library sucks. the only semi-new books they have are Fates and Furies and Between the World and Me, which each have a 3 month waiting period.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
A lot of Shakespeare nerds really liked Holly Golightly's performance as Ophelia because she'd slam a bunch of dope backstage and be properly spaced out and apathetic.

Also Branagh's adaptation is ridiculous

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Have you read Coin Locker Babies? It's crazy. Hope you like meth and gay model sex

Gay model meth

In the Miso Soup owns too. Ryu seems to really loving hate his own country and I love it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

blue squares posted:

What question should I ask Hanya Yanagihara in a hour?

"My heart hurts."

Not a question but I finished A Little Life last week and I don't want to leave my bed ever.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Caustic Chimera posted:

Guys, you should read The Shore by Sara Taylor. It's this book of interconnected stories (I'm beginning to think I like this type very much. Recommend me some) with this place as the setting. It jumps back and forth in time, and is centered around these two families. It's a pretty dark book, showing the uglier side of people, but it's a really compelling read. Read it.

The Fun Parts by Sam Lipsyte is that kind of book and is good. There's no uglier side it's all hideous the most beautiful person on the planet squeezes pus out of their face. I'm excited for the High Rise movie to come out so we can watch british people be horrible to dogs and each other aka an average weekend on that miserable island. And jeremy irons i guess.

Anyways I read Seven Houses in France by Bernardo Atxaba a little while back and enjoyed it very much, does anyone one have any other basque books to reccomend? or really anything melancholy and violent will do

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I've only read Blindness but it rules.

Has anyone read The Little Red Chairs yet? It sounds like extremely My poo poo but book 3 of My Struggle is staring at me

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

blue squares posted:

I'm gonna write a My Struggle type of memoir and call it My poo poo. What I would really like is a My Struggle written by a black man or woman in the United States.

I'd bet dollars to donuts something like that will come out in the next couple of years. Someone may be writing one RIGHT NOW.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

mallamp posted:

If you are reading something with pictures in it that isn't Playboy or WG Sebald book you're wasting your time though

Playboy doesn't have nudity or cartoons or party jokes anymore so rip to that.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He's a tough knut to crack

Didn't you already make that joke

Is the repetition another joke

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
just popping in to say that zero k isn't very good.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Gravity's Re-reg

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

End Of Worlds posted:

Apropos of nothing, but I have a new favourite bit of marginalia. In a book on Anglo-Saxons, in a section discussing language, the author makes a passing reference to the Scots and the Picts:

I love this, and want to call someone a Pictish idiot.

I just started The North Water. I really like it so far, but there's no way McGuire didn't pitch the drat thing as "Blood Meridian on a boat."

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Thanks for the recs on Broken April. Read it yesterday I'm still feeling quite bad. Also I hate my family so that probably helped.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Ryu is the better murakami. Read Coin Locker Babies instead and tell your friends that they're useless and then go do some crimes.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

hog fat posted:

the best writing available to us (Westerners) is mostly written by dead white men. you can pretend that this is not the case if you want. you can respond with a bunch of truisms, you can quote all your favorite female authors but the point remains. why limit yourself?

the good news is that there is no such thing as a man and there is no such thing as a woman. the self is a construct and ego is suffering.

Extremely bad post.

Anyway I just finished the second Ferrante book and enjoyed it immensely. The third one is checked out at the library so I picked up At the Existentialist Cafe and I have a creeping feeling I'm gonna loving hate it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Leslie Marmon Silko is a) not dead and b) not black. She is a very important figure to American Indian lit though, being among the loose class of authors following N. Scott Momaday that comprise the Native American Renaissance.

Ceremony is fantastic, and definitely worth reading even if you're the kind of person who feels the need to take to the internet to deride the idea of seeking out female authors. Don't worry, the main character is a boy so you won't get cooties or have to think about tampons or nothing~

Another good (and very alive) American Indian author is Louise Erdrich--I read The Round House and it was by far the most affecting thing I got through last year. If you liked Beloved even a little bit you'll probably get something from it.

This is all quality poo poo. Erdrich rules, and her book from last year, LaRose, was really good and made me Feel Bad, the true sign of quality literature.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
So is Lincoln in the Bardo truly the book that will save us all from annihilation? Cuz I really didn't like Tenth of December.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I've only read The Satanic Verses but it owns

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Well, yes and no: you can write about all kinds of garbage, conscious that its garbage, but that consciousness doesn't mean that it also isn't garbage to read. Autobiographical stories of drug use are the worst offenders in this regard, but there's plenty of upper class twittery that has the same effect

Never really thought about that but Junkie and Fear and Loathing... both suck extremely hard so that checks out.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Crumbling civilization hmmmmmm?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Make sure to read Tintin in the Congo

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I saw Avenue Q in Spanish. It was still stupid.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Not to distract from amateur linguistic chat but I finished The Sympathizer yesterday and thought it was really funny. Like people kinda pissed and moaned about it being overwritten but to me it seemed like a parody of some LeCarre poo poo.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Transit by Rachel Cusk was real good.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Zesty Mordant posted:

I've been liking a lot of the books I've read so far that have no conventional narrative, that are basically just a collection of scenes. "Inner Tube" was basically this. I just read elizabeth hardwick's "sleepless nights" and it was exactly that, really good too. What are some more books that are similar?

Transit by Rachel Cusk

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mrenda posted:

Apart from a few short stories available for free on some decent websites and a few Irish lit journals (of which there is an abundance, with a resulting quality of writing) I've never read some real literature. My sole attempt in the past year was trying to get through The Castle, but the quality of the prose didn't whip me through it (apart from one early scene) so when I decided it was a bit of a shaggy dog story about a shaggy dog life/situation/pursuit I put it down (also, I was quite ill reading it, so that wouldn't have helped.)

I'm not looking for literature for the sake of appearance in reading high falutin' thinky books, I would actually like to read something with a degree of profundity. I'm particularly looking for something that deals with mental health and how that applies to isolation and relating to the world outside of the self (inspired by the illness I was in the depths of while reading Kafka.) Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Nausea or Journey to the End of the Night might give you a ticklin

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Hamsun is my favorite fash man

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Desert Solitaire is a good nature book because Ed Abbey is a total dick.

Also anything by John Muir is cool mostly because of his insane religious fervor all over the place.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Alvarez IV posted:

On the subject, I'm looking to read as many books as possible in the vein of Lolita, American Psycho, Junkie, The 120 Days of Sodom, et cetera. Stuff about unrepentant transgressors who society allows to practice their poison. Preferably with good language like Nabokov, de Sade, and Burroughs. I'm not that great a fan of the BEE house style. I heard Tampa by Alissa Nutting was supposed to be decent, but I can't confirm. The vice itself doesn't matter so much to me, just that it is severe.

Child of God by McCarthy and Coin Locker Babies by the superior Murakami

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I've only read The Goldfinch and I thought it was sentimental as gently caress. Still good tho

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol if you haven't read the untranslated journey to the west

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Malone Dies was the poo poo

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Pendulum is extremely good because I myself am a self-righteous globetrotting rear end in a top hat

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lol gore verbinski

But anyway I’m reading The Little Friend, which is some Flannery O’Connor poo poo and I love it. The Goldfinch was good if a bit sappy but this is more my bag.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Is that Dean Martin

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Northanger Abbey is p. good and funny. I think that’s the only Austen novel I’ve read.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Fix that. Northanger Abbey is awfully good, but it was my least favorite out of all of Austen's novels. (note: I haven't read Emma.)

I might do that next. I’m almost done with Kadare’s The Siege and I need something with more estates and long walks and less sectarian violence.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the best dystopian novel is the kjv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ccs posted:

Pale Fire by Nabokov is a really good book.

It's bonkers that he only switched over to English prose after writing his 9th novel.

Pale Fire is hilarious