Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

When you think about it all western literature pre 1700 is just Bible fanfiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Poll: what is the name of the current trend in literary fiction? Post-Postmodernism?

It's naivete in this troper's opinion and I think it is coming from the united states, garbage literature capitol of the world.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

A lot of contemporary books have really naive protagonists whose world view is proven wrong or incomplete because it is largely black and white by some small event that they can not understand could happen to them. There is no reasoning behind why these bad things are happening to them like how 19th or 20th century protagonists would usually reason it out it just happens and they do not know why and so they mope and leak body fluids until they have some sort of revelation or come to peace with it and nothing ever really happens.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

translators note: ureshii means happy

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Most plays should be seen and not read to get the full effect. The exceptions are like chamber plays or something like goethe's faust. and Eugene o neil plays.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am no longer putting it off, I am going to read my copy of kokoro

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

did i post this image here or was it /lit/ or tumblr or somewhere else?

wtf I feel like I am 4 and just sat down at the table at applebees

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Libluini posted:

You're lucky. Even if you start reading Schiller now, it will probably be fun. I was tortured in school with Goethe and Schiller until I started to hate them. :(

Some stuff of Schiller I still like, but I can't get over my revulsion to go read it again.

I thought Goethe's take on Faust was good

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Hunger is really good

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Someone make a 4chan styles rec chart for norwegian nazi lit. tia

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

mycophobia posted:

What's a good Bible paraphrase/abridged Bible for literary purposes?

If your going to read the bible for literary reasons do not get an abridged paraphrased version. Read king james

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also if we are taking about author deaths, everyone always talks about Oscar Wilde's last words, but Henrik Ibsen to me always had the best death joke

"Holy poo poo. Piss. Its so hotta in here"
-Sylvia plath

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Omg

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

It is sometimes called "the new sincerity" and it is a big deal in Russian poetry

Do you have any recs on some modern Russian poets (who have translations in English because I can't read Russian :languagefail:)

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

I'm sorry to do this to you STravinsky, but you can't post in this thread any more.

.......ffffffffffffffffffffffff

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I had a choice between the languages of warmongering genocidal savages and a peaceful civilised people. I chose the former so I could study chinese

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Thank you guys for the ruskies.

Melmudkipper have you read Obscene bird of the Night or Terra Nostra yet?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

man i cant wait until someone posts their tier list of tbb posters :D

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

blue squares posted:

I'd never heard of Fuentes

I always thought that Fuentes was one of the most well known latin american writers

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I just remembered that its because he is a latin american writer people probably don't know who he is.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

I'm working on one but get this: you're not in it :devil: :evil:

*dons flame suit*

Smoking Crow posted:

Nobody's translating modern russian poetry nowadays. Most of the stuff from the soviet period isn't translated yet either. The number 1 new sincere poet is Dmitry Vodennikov but nobody's translating him

sorry anglophones

I found this and I am going to read all these poems when I get a break: http://bigbridge.org/BB17/poetry/twentyfirstcenturyrussianpoetry/twenty-first-century-russian-poetry-contents.html

Ras Het posted:

I tried to read that Fuentes book that was like... The Eagle of Something. Something about eagles. Anyway the first 30 pages was entirely dreadful and uninteresting and I passed on it. Is it representative of anything?

I have not read that one but I don't think you can get 30 pages into terra nostra and be like wow this is boring and dreadful I wish this was chekhov (this is not a chekhov diss)

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 20, 2015

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Such a good Gretzky post.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

david crosby posted:

Has anyone here read The Man Without Qalities? I just started it and it is some good rear end stuff.

I have only read the first half but recently was given the whole work when someone moved. Its very good and I'm going to reread everything from the beginning

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I am remembering how the main character impresses a nymphomaniac by telling her how great it was that he was beaten up in the middle of the street for no discernable reason and I am laughing again.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

paint dry posted:

I'm on kind of a Japan kick, and for that reason I started to read Kokoro today. Man this book is depressing

The book is really stupid but cool from a intersection of west and east influences point of view

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I'm actually probably just annoyed that my copy was awkwardly big

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Death in Vernice and Gaddis are cool, but you have one of the disappointing pynchons in retrospect

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Please do not read classics simply because they are classics. They are generally really good at what they do but reading the old man and the sea is going to do nothing for you if you are not feeling or wanting that kind of story.

Also if your not in your teens catcher in the rye is going to seem really dumb (because it will not resonate as much and seem embarrassing which is the point because we are all like that at that age)

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

hes cool

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Phillip Roth IRA

There you go a free low irony name to use in the tbb fyadlite that is coming soon.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

i found some real lit for this thread:

Don't do this here

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Its just gonna cause a bunch of pearl clutching that's not entertaining

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

My favorite african writer is albert camus

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I fell asleep in the park while reading farewell to matyora but instead of waking up covered in ants like what happened with assisted living they were all over the book. I guess they enjoy village prose also.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

It's better in Japanese

I have heard from multiple people that the opposite is true and that the translators are better writers than him.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

That was good, as were most of the other bits like his uncle sleeping with his dad's wife because they looked so alike and then the wife is like "well you should both go in a cobra pit and then one of you will die" and they do and one comes out but no ones really sure who it is. But there were bits (mostly at the end) where its like "oh yeah and i was lying down and it felt like there was a coffin on my chest, like I'd killed someone or something, because I probably killed someone in case you didn't pick up on that" and I wish it hadn't had that line because that sort of pushes me towards one interpretation of the entire thing (he killed his wife and is dwelling on it in death fever) when actually I much prefer another interpretation which it sort of hints at a few times (he killed himself and is sort of regretting it while dying of killing himself). I prefer the ambiguity that most of the book does really well and then a few lines sort of take that away IMO.

Blind owl spoilers I guess

Part of it is that I really do not feel that he is talking singularly about physical death but rather mixes in spiritual, artistic, and ego death as well. The women who is later possibly his wife can be interpreted as some form of ideal or his muse. Another thing is that most of the events may not have ever actually happened or at least in the way that it is portrayed in the book. Much of the scenes are mutations of the one preceding it each getting darker and more morbid as it goes on. Heck I really don't think the end of the book is really the end of his dream/hallucination but rather a place just to end on because otherwise the entire thing would keep going with ever more morbid mutations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

A human heart posted:

I liked that part where it talks about the butcher looking at some sheep carcasses with a buyer's eye, and then later the same thing happens but there's an extra bit about how he looks at his wife the same way at night.

Yeah that part is really good.