Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Jrbg posted:

I have decided I wish i'd read slow learner before reading V, at least insofar as cluing me into what pynchon's deal was in the alexandria section

i love how his reasoning for coming up with that entire thing is that he found an old timey tourist guide to egypt and thought it was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the stories in slow learner aren't fantastic, but the little intros and discussions he has of his process are really cool and you get much more of an understanding of how his huge maximalist novels are constructed, iirc there's a story called entropy where he's like 'yeah i learned about entropy and thought it sounded neat and i wrote this story and then later learned i'd kind of misunderstood entropy', and huge parts of books like gravity's rainbow or against the day seem to come from the same place of devour books on disparate topics and connect them constantly but this time check you've actually understood them. which is probably why we'll never get another big pynchon, he's never going to escape wikipedia

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

our exagmination round his factification is a neat collection of contemporary essays on finnegans wake, written while the book itself was still being written and featuring amongst others, beckett. it'll help set certain parts of the stage, but not really give you anything beyond that, after that it's just you and joyce. you can find it for free online

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i feel like this thread has gotten stupid because nobody has mentioned that everyone should be reading Solenoid by Mircea Cartarescu, recently released in English translation by Sean Cotter and published by Deep Vellum and probably the best book of the last decade or so if you read this thread and like the good suggestions, but dislike the bad ones

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

its nothing as fancy as the iconoclastic allure of the genius, it's just that most people throughout history who have had enough free time to get good at writing have that free time because they are independently wealthy, and therefore their interests are right wing interests

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Idaholy Roller posted:

Good books written by raging right wing nob heads please

tarr by wyndham lewis and pleasure by gabriele d'annunzio. lewis is one of the anglo american modernist fascists like pound, and d'annunzio set up a fascist city state whose consitution inspired mussolini. the books are cool too

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

mdemone posted:

This is very accurate. In his defense, it was 1994.

back in the days when writing things that weren't godawful was yet to be discovered

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ij is fine and there are some pretty good bits it's just too long and while some of the incredibly obnoxious ill informed parts can be explained away with "well actually it's the characters who are obnoxious and ill informed, it's really quite genius", there are also a lot of obnxious ill informed parts that just represent how david foster wallace was

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i have been reading Don Quixote (spanish accent)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

buddy i'm reading a japanese mystery novel in english where one of the lines was "'how long has it been since we've seen each other sensei?' she asked in a distant tone, using the term of respectful address for teachers and masters of any art." you can absolutely say a translation is stilted while not being fluent in the original language

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i feel like conrad is surprisingly not racist, to me, particularly in lord jim, he's clearly trying to overcome those sorts of boundaries in his thought far more so than his contemporaries. anyway, i kind of like lord jim even though i feel it takes forever to get going, and i find it very funny that the complexity of jim as a person, his way of thinking, his drives is just being told to you by some guy who's mostly guessing. it's a funny way to do a character study. i thought the secret agent was cool too, though i would've preferred a more orthodox marxist critique of anarchism.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

had the secret agent been more convincing we might have prevented the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

does anyone here read because it's challenging, or hard?

me

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i got more emotional about them bringing the squats back than i ever did reading about colonel emiliano buendia so i think that person is right

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Did they bring the squats back??

they did, friend tree goat

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

the cantos are good, even when they're bad

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are two categories: literature, and books with wizards in it. These categories are mutually exclusive.

You would think this means _The Tempest_ is junk, but that's a play, not a book, so different rules.

(The distinction between "high" and "low" art is both false and real).

everyone laugh at this loving idiot who hasnt read wizard of the crow

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

thehoodie posted:

Just finished journey round my skull by frigyes karinthy. His autobiographical account of discovering he has a brain tumor and the process of its removal. Mostly he is in a state of bewilderment. Very funny

his son ferenc wrote a book called epepe that is about a guy getting on the wrong flight and arriving in a country where no one speaks any language he knows and it's all a horrible nightmare, it's very good and also funny

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i loved that, it felt very real to me, but at the same time dreamlike and nighmarish as you say. but mostly it felt real

one of the best details imo is that hes an interpreter or something like that, so he spends a lot of time trying to make sense of the language, like a normal person would do. but its not a skill issue lol

it really earns the dissolution of his psyche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

I’m finally reading Cărtărescu and I’m blown away. Solenoid

he's very good at writing books