Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

mallamp posted:

I think most people find it pretty stressful to read pages and pages of text that they don't get at all though
My #1 advice is to skip parts where you are getting lost, there's no shame in skipping, even my professors admit doing it

If you need to practice skipping parts of books, start with the John Galt speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

For my next novel I am debating between the following:
Faulkner Absalom Absalom
Hemmingway Snows of Kilimanjaro
Cervantes Don Quixote Pt 1
Woolfe To the Lighthouse

Presumably I can't go wrong with any but which in your opinion is the best of the above? I plan to read all but am just being indecisive.

(I also plan to give Heart of Darkness a reread after I finish with King Leopold's Ghost)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Also let me know how King Leopold's Ghost is. I have it on my shelf and plan to read it at some point.

Its the most engaging history I have ever read, and a real page turner. Its also a punch in the gut, and I am only starting to get into the human rights abuses. So much of what is wrong in the world today is due to Victorian (and before) racism :smith:

Thanks all, will take on Woolfe and Cervantes next!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Its been too long I'm going to have to reread this I recall so little of it
e. Paradise Lost that is. Not sure where all these other posts came from

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Boatswain posted:

I'm mostly interested in Deconstruction as a historical movement and right now don't have the time for of grammatology/pharmakon/disseminations usw

good clip though

https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/french-theory

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

My next read will be To The Lighthouse, and it's my first Woolf.

I am 100 pages into my first reading of this and am just stunned by how much I am enjoying it. I read nothing about it and came in with no expectations, but it still quite a bit different than I imagined. Really lovely. Everyone is so isolated, all together.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hot Take: Ernest Hemingway is loving good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a French author or two who use really stripped-down prose? I'm trying to slowly re-learn all the poo poo I forgot in school and I figured reading some stuff in French is probably as close as I'm going to get to immersion anytime soon. I'm at a super basic level right now so ideally I'm looking for something that isn't too long or full of complicated grammar structures, etc.

Poetry not prose but Jacques Prevert might be up your alley

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Book Barn › Quit Being a loving Child and knowing what butt chugging is not what I meant

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

CestMoi posted:

Aleister Crowley :henget:

:agreed:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Pretty delighted that a friend of mine who described his reading preferences to me is now totally obsessed with my recomendation to him: Gravity's Rainbow. I mean, he totally is getting the book and is catching references well beyond me, and is so excited to talk about the book that he cleared an end of the bar from a surrounding complete lack of interest. :D

Books rock

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I also just reread it and really loved how the world slowly expanded in depth, complexity, and banality, as Stephen got older.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

derp posted:

This, that they were not to have, they were having. They were having now and before and always and now and now and now. Oh, now, now, now, the only now, and above all now, and there is no other now but thou now and now is thy prophet. Now and forever now. Come now, now, for there is no now but now. Yes, now. Now, please now, only now, not anything else only this now, and where are you and where am I and where is the other one, and not why, not ever why, only this now; and on and always please then always now, always now, for now always one now; one only one, there is no other one but one now, one, going now, rising now, sailing now, leaving now, wheeling now, soaring now, away now, all the way now, all of all the way now; one and one is one, is one, is one, is one, is still one, is still one, is one descendingly, is one softly, is one longingly, is one kindly, is one happily, is one in goodness, is one to cherish, is one now on earth with elbows against the cut and slept on branches of the pine tree with the smell of the pine boughs and the night; to earth conclusively now, and with the morning of the day to come. Then he said, for the other was only in his head and he had said nothing, “Do not drink soap! OK!” -- Doctor Bronner

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

fridge corn posted:

idk i kinda want to write about a bunch miserable neurotic gently caress ups being miserable and neurotic while everything around them collapses catastrophicaly (literally?? metaphorically??)

i havent come up any characters yet tho

Come by C-SPAM sometime, say hi.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh great yeah post it here and *curse the whole drat forum* sounds great

Post it and I promise to blank quote it to double the effect, don't listen to the hater here

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

everything written after the Reformation cuneiform was a mistake

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a combination of a few things:

1) I don't know if y'all ever look at the "users browsing" number for this forum but I do pretty regularly. It's . .low. We're one of the lowest-traffic forums on this site. That pisses me off because I non-ironically believe this is the best subforum on the site. The "recommend me a book please?" posts are the #1 way new people come into this subforum, so dropping sick burns on new book-requesters might be the only time I actually care about trolling, because it chases people away and hurts the subforum. I actually re-wrote the specific rules of the recommendation thread a few months ago to specifically clarify that if you were in the "recommend me a book?" thread, and you were not either asking for a book recommendation or recommending a book, you should be treading very carefully, for this reason. I probably need to incorporate this into the general forum rules, so it's spelled out explicitly and visibly, but I need to think about the wording -- I don't care all that much about veteran posters/readers trolling each other but I don't want people taking a giant poo poo on the Reading Rainbow types. It's hard enough leading goons to culture as it is. To use a metaphor goons can understand, it's spawn-camping newbies.

2) More generally, this forum serves two functions 1) goons recommending books to each other, and 2) goons discussing books with each other. Most of the threads in this forum are a lot of #1 and a little of #2, some cut the other way. As long as the discussion is substantive -- as long as people are actually discussing books -- a little bit of trolling mixed in isn't necessarily harmful; "your book sucks and this is why" can sometimes spur people to read better books. On the other hand, if it's just empty threadshitting with no content ("your book sucks, lol") , then everything devolves into personal squabbles and bullshit that everyone else reading the forum gets really sick of really fast, and nobody gets to discuss actual books any more. This is why I consider "content-free" posting such a big deal -- it leads to a downward spiral.

3) Most of the time this is a low-report, low-strife forum. I like it that way because I have a lot of things to do and generally speaking I view dealing with reports and complaints as the headache I have to put up with in order to do the parts of the job I enjoy, i.e., make sure I have a place to recommend books to people, talk about books, and run the Book of the Month. The corollary, though, is that when I start getting a lot of reports in a short period of time -- and especially if those reports and complaints are all focused on the same post(s) or poster(s) -- I take those reports seriously and listen, in part because if a lot of people think something's a problem then it's definitionally a problem because I have to spend time I don't have dealing with those complaints.

That's the rough outline of the thought process anyway. I try to defer to the sub-culture within particular threads where appropriate because that's the easiest way for us all to avoid headaches. I enjoy trolling and shitposting as much as anyone else here, but I care more about preserving the recommendation & BotM threads as friendly environments for new posters than I do about maintaining a general troll playground.

same

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I hesitate to post here because I am not super cultured and don't really know what defines literature with a capital L and what is just popular fiction. I lurk and try to read some of the short stories that are posted and pretend I'd have funny or insightful things to say about stories.

I've read some Steinbeck and like Vonnegut's writing style (I don't have fancy words here but I like that his writing is sometimes about what's not said instead of spending a paragraph describing a single thing). I am looking for modern literature recommendations that have a similar minimalist prose and aren't so obtuse that I won't understand.

Hemingway

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

I always say Wilhelm Busch whenever a child asks me what my favorite comic is.

Its clearly The Cross and the Switchblade. Because yall need Jesus

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading Lem's Fiasco. It's great. Lem is a poet of inanimate matter.

What do you guys think will succeed the novel form as a literary vehicle? Most 21st century novels feel anachronistic to me. Probably my favorite book I read written after 2000 or so has been Remainder by McCarthy, but it feels like a lot of the form of the novel in that book is no longer needed, like it functions great as a novel of ideas expressed in a symbolic form, but a lot of the narrative feels a little tacked on purely to adapt it into a publishable form. Things like a plot, a protagonist (the protagonist is nameless because really, you're actively discouraged to identify with him, so why have a protagonist at all?), a beginning and resolution. This is a conversation I have a lot with professors but none of them ever even hint at a good answer to what should come after the novel. I have no idea either except that it should somehow be less focused on the actions of an individual, and have a great focus on the inanimate, on non-living processes.

Homestuck.

The answer's Homestuck, right?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

poo poo, anything can hit you in the gut if youre in the right/wrong headspace at the moment. no shame imo

but thats a really lovely poem though, and my tastes are at best pedestrian

This post hit me in the funny feels

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ras Het posted:

Who's the first literary feminist? Anything before Euripides?

Serious post, but its been said that "everything is in the prologue to The Second Sex" by Simone de Beauvoir so yeah not the "first" but perhaps one of the first literary feminists in a modern sense.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Related, I am reading belle hook's Talking Back right now and if you are at all interested in how race, class, and sex (book is dated to the 80s so perhaps predates the term "intersectionality") interact in a person's education and personal growth its a hard one to beat.

Have never read any Jane Austin but if we have a group read I'd be keen I guess.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Missed marginalia discussion by a few days but every time people talk about it I just remember my copy of Confessions of a Mask where next to one of the passages where he's meticulously describing a bunch of young dude's muscly, glistening chests giving him a boner, the reader wrote "gay???"

On an unrelated note, anybody here read any Mario Bellatin? Just picked up his Illustrated Biography of Mishima and I can already tell I want to check out more of his fiction, but it sounds like there was some dispute with his publisher and now most of it is out of print / never got translated to English. Curious if anyone happens to know another source for any of it, since buying ratty "collectible" paperbacks for $50 on ebay is not particularly enticing.

My favourite marginalia comment is related to my graduate advisor, who wrote in the margins of a very highly cited (but ultimately incorrect) chapter, after a declarative statement was made (along the lines of "following from this, it is clear that...") , "ONLY TO AN IDIOT" to the side. It was a real jar when reading then made me laugh, then I found out it was a thing to bond over for a few cohorts of students that also read the same chapter

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is babbit underrated i thought people love it. Morte d'Urban is also very good in the same vein if you can stand papists.

I thought it's the best Sinclair Lewis novel so IDK

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Wrote. He's dead now.

:rip:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's super frustrating as a critic to see deconstruction misused to mean "referential" by hacks

How does it make you feel when folks attribute that deconstruction to Foucault?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Cloks posted:

Finally read Aquarium. It was good and the negative events in the book aren't as bad as I feared they would be. I've already read Lincoln in the Bardo so I think I'm caught up on "thread favorites".

read Gravity's Rainbow

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Foul Fowl posted:

i'd give a lot to be able to read her novels for the first time again. enjoy.

Just read To The Lighthouse for the first time last year. Went in blind and just loved it. So good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

all forum posts are meticulously constructed with a firm authorial intent behind every word or phrase, and to suggest otherwise is to malign the poster's craft.

*farts*

e. Ulysses led to my failing m first class in university. I hit the first two paragraphs of like chapter 4, with all of the "ineluctable modalities" and it stopped me dead. Had no idea what was going on. Also never take a 4th year english lit course as a 1st year STEM student I guess because I was so poorly qualified for that class...

Now though I'd just skip over that part and absorb the rest of what I was reading, then go back to figure out :wtc: Its how I finally managed Gravity's Rainbow, which upon reflection grows in my esteem. Gotta reread that soon.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 25, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

packsmack posted:

It's funny that you mention that about Gravity's Rainbow. I'm listening to that now and I was starting to wonder if I was just dumb. There's something about the constant perspective shifts that is making it hard to follow.

Think about it like how a movie will shift from one scene to another. One of the things I grew to love about that book was the way the prose would dissolve the one scene, then work its way along with beautiful imagery (and more hints into Lenni's stories) and slowly coalesce into the next.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Two hail Satan

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Thanks, Hieronymous.

that was a strange derail

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A screaming comes across the sky

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

like, oh boy the new 800 page book full of tedious overlong descriptions and hundreds of pages of irrelevant fluff

I can't wait

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Margaret Atwood's Maddaddam trilogy should surely get a mention

Leibowitz was pretty good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I just finished A Farewell to Arms and it was insanely good. One thing though, the nature of the dialogue between the narrator and Catherine was so...I don't know, staccatic? especially early on, which made it hard to see that there was a real connection between them. Perhaps I got used to Hemingway's style of dialogue, or started appreciating those "cute" mannerisms between couples later, and by the end there was real, believable, passion, but early it was very hard to see. Is this just a limitation of this style of writing, or is this a reflection of the emotional wall of a man the narrator was do you think?

The war scenes are some of the best battle writing I've ever come across, it was so confused, disjointed, and fearful, making it really too uncomfortably close to an experience of what war is really like for some I imagine.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oliver Reed posted:

potentially posted before or already familiar to you, here are nabokov's thoughts on various authors

quick & amusing read

It's him. He's afraid of Virginia Woolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Burning Rain posted:

I honestly find it weird that BotL spends so much time and effort making GBS threads on things he doesn't like

Why would you poo poo on things you liked though?