Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

they're probably already used to people getting really strange combinations of books

I am always pleased if the clerk of a Proper Bookstore comments "oh, that's a really good book!" to one of my purchases though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

finally started The man without qualities

book owns, I also enjoy that it actually has chapters, and that they're short enough for commute reading. chapter 8 has so far my most favourite description of early 1900s city life so far, just stellar

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i have him on my radar again since there was recently a new translation of reise in polen. I really want to read that and berlin, alexanderplatz hopefully within this year

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im somewhat curious of two giant italian tomes. has anyone read The catholic school and M.: son of the century yet?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that sounds both very similar to how Trieste was written, and also very much my jam

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lol, the man without qualities had a chapter that said any lazy reader could skip past it

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mdemone posted:

Nabokov Was Wrong About Borges

he calls Borges “a man of infinite talent” so I think he was correct, for once

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

less than 80 pages to go of the first volume of The man without qualities and the beginning felt a lot stronger than most of the book itself so far. I think I prefer Mann’s The magic mountain over this, a book that feels similar in how it’s also about capital A Art and Literature and ideas of man, etc.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 27, 2024

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’m gonna read part II as well, but after a few other books in between just for a bit of variety’s sake

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

seiobo is amazing.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

bought M by Scutari. on the cover of the norwegian translation, Mussolini just stares menacingly towards the camera.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I think it could be, if I understand your question correctly. as an example, there’s a younger Norwegian author who has developed a kind of narrative voice where she lets the narrator “interrupt”, comment or react on the story and plot, as if by impulse. like suddenly adding “(?????)” after a quote or description of the character, etc. so the narrator is sort of reacting to their own narration as if by looking back at it. it isn’t breaking any new grounds or being purely experimental, but she is sort of breaking some established “rules” or conventions in a way that also feels personal or, idk, real/authentic, but also unique. every other aspect of her novels are pretty conventional and straightforward otherwise.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 29, 2024

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

started on M. son of the century. it’s pretty good so far.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I see you're about four years ahead of me on that one (it was only translated to norwegian autumn last year)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Blurred posted:

:thunk:

:thunk:

I'm going to bed now, but I strongly encourage everyone else to track down "Food" (part of "Tender Buttons") by Gertrude Stein, if possible, and tell me where I'm going wrong. I'm not trying to be a smug dick here, I'm genuinely curious what you all think.

if you’re not trying to be a smug prick, then you could try to not smugly dismiss honest attempts at discussion like this

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I have about 250ish pages left of M. son of the century to go. I don't know about you guys, but this Mussolini-fellow seems to me like he was a bit of an rear end in a top hat

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no you see, I am media literate

that is... bad somehow?

for people who don't have twitter, what's the actual context here. what was this even in response to, what was he supposed to have paid attention to?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

"haha you can read" is an interesting own though, like stepping on your own rake to prove how your opponent is too dumb to find a trap or something

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

imagine not reading books because you morally disagree with the author

I knew a dude who tried to claim the very act of reading Yukio Mishima or Ezra Pound was unethical

there are even norwegians out there claiming that since Hamsun was a nazi, it's morally wrong to ever make high school students read Hunger

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

almost want to read Bram Stoker's book now, I wonder how he described the red respawning skeletons in his adaption

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

why do i still remember satan’s peen dangling about during the final boss fight

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

not cleopatra squeezing cobras out of her nipples

i’m mostly blank on everything else about the game, even though i played through it all

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

currently reading the new novel by this danish guy. I also saw him perform at a poetry festival last october-ish, and was p good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Segue posted:

e: to your point about refusing to engage even if their works are not political, to me Mishima's aestheticized violence and longing for masculinity and order are specifically political, as is Céline's misanthropy. If they were purely aesthetic works I would probably like them but to me the works have politics too.

but you can acknowledge that the aestheticised violence and masculinity is incredibly dumb at the same time as you acknowledge how wonderfully the temple of the golden pavillion or his other works are written. it's not an impossible feat

Segue posted:

But I'll stop stirring things up I just thought I'd give my reasoning for engaging less with some of those authors.

nah, :justpost:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I personally approach my reading more from the position of Felski and Nussbaum, but I really like the point about the temporal gap that you referred to. it’s a good attempt at describing the why in why we read and become engaged

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no thanks all I need to know literarily about the culture of Ireland I got from reading O Henry

look at this dweeb who refuse to read Beckett, Joyce and McBride :smuggo:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

le fleurs du mal was at several points surprisingly horny

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Cassian of Imola posted:

I came across a sarcastic quote about the titles of poetry in The Arcades Project (Benjamin was evidently in the middle of writing about le fleurs du mal):

the parts on exhibitions and Baudelaire was great, and this reminds me that I really, really need to read the second volume of the arcades project soon.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

got myself the latest Vila-Matas and Pamuk books today

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

read a minor detail today. didn’t see the supposed antisemitism in it. I think germany might be a bit crazy

otherwise a middle of the road book.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that Balle book sounds great

which incidentally Montevideo was too. I can’t believe this got out in Norwegian before English

my next read is gonna be Plague nights by Pamuk

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

apparently I managed to post that I started it in another thread somehow, I'm getting too old

it's the latest from enrique vila-matas

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Peggotty posted:

German weekly Die Zeit has an article about a retired miner who build up a private library of more than 70.000 books, filling his entire home with it.

I wonder what kind of books he liked!

Of course lol.

https://www.zeit.de/kultur/2024-04/privatbibliothek-bergmann-westfahlen-literatur
Here's the link if people read german or want to google translate it.

based

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’m on Flights by Tokarczuk rn. it’s pretty good.

I found Nights of plague by Pamuk to be a bit lacking somehow, idk

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

can you smell what the spear-dane is cookin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i think i'm going to give the autobiography of alice b toklas a read, and after that Trakl's poetry