Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

love da med center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thatsnotercot/status/1778919778897252572

Don’t forget to skin those smokewagons yall

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Texan news.

https://twitter.com/MykhailoRohoza/status/1779124953503129701

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
That one guy driving a truck in Houston with Z on the side and a Russian Flag must be devastated.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Oil! posted:

That one guy driving a truck in Houston with Z on the side and a Russian Flag must be devastated.

ive seen that guy several times lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

because, that guy is me

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

lobster shirt posted:

because, that guy is me

:aaa:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

because, that guy is me

:mods:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Art Car Parade in Houston was great today. That is all, TexPol thread.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Art Car Parade in Houston was great today. That is all, TexPol thread.

Same but I’m at the Burnet Demolition Derby. This rules.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.texasobserver.org/water-energy-environment-corpus/

A lovely Observer article going into detail at how Corpus is absolutely hosed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jiro posted:

:capitalism:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jiro posted:

This article is *completely nuts*, apparently the relevant water regs and ownership are deranged.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:laffo: People should have gone to jail for these water regulations.

Considering how much I hate what a shithouse Corpus is, I'm morbidly fascinated as to how bad it's going to get. And then I remember the Valley is just as hosed. With not only water shortages, but the stupid LNG projects that insist on persisting and being built.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Oh no our board, which can make rules about water use and conservation, which is elected by the constituents of the district can’t do anything about the outside entity building a plant that sucks up all our water. Oh well!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've been seeing signs around Frisco that say "VOTE NO ON THE UNION" and also "WE LOVE OUR FIREFIGHTERS" so I'm not sure what the vote is for. I assume it's opposition to a firefighter's union which is lol if that's the case.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, it's to permit Frisco FD to engage in collective bargaining.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1779899246335934693

Terrible law with predictable consequences, but why the gently caress is vaping so popular among kids

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

zoux posted:

why the gently caress is vaping so popular among kids

It makes them feel like they're not a kid
It's a mild stimulant
It's adjacent to weed culture
It's kind of a rebellion against parental rule
Smoke is kinda cool to look at some times
It's heavily marketed towards them

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
01. They're told not to do it
02. Good marketing
03. An array of flavors
04. Grownups don't like it when they do it
05. They're told not to do it.

e:

jokes posted:

It makes them feel like they're not a kid
It's a mild stimulant
It's adjacent to weed culture
It's kind of a rebellion against parental rule
Smoke is kinda cool to look at some times
It's heavily marketed towards them

:hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, and what are the health detriments? Are they just from the nicotine? That article notes that "a teenager died from vaping" last year but I can't figure out what that means. Tainted vape, or nicotine OD or what?

e: oh ok it was Vitamin E acetate from the vaping moral panic in 2020

News you can use:

https://twitter.com/Chron_MattYoung/status/1779906703279952441

He's been loving raking this season

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 15, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah vaping is about a million times healthier than marlboro reds but these kids are all addicted to nicotine lol

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
the vape juice is poorly regulated, and sometimes the flavorings are mixed with the same stuff that caused popcorn lung and it kills you because you're inhaling it directly into your lungs. If it was regulated, it'd be more or less as safe as living in a large city from the stuff I've read. Also, as an on and off smoker since I was 17, kids do it because they're told not to and it feels badass to smoke stuff.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I've been seeing signs around Frisco that say "VOTE NO ON THE UNION" and also "WE LOVE OUR FIREFIGHTERS" so I'm not sure what the vote is for. I assume it's opposition to a firefighter's union which is lol if that's the case.

Firefighter and police unions are not unions they let bosses join

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm down for firefighters despite that, but police unions don't count.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
In other news:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

the vape juice is poorly regulated, and sometimes the flavorings are mixed with the same stuff that caused popcorn lung and it kills you because you're inhaling it directly into your lungs. If it was regulated, it'd be more or less as safe as living in a large city from the stuff I've read. Also, as an on and off smoker since I was 17, kids do it because they're told not to and it feels badass to smoke stuff.

They also say they used FDA approved ingredients, but those ingredients are approved for being ingested, not inhaled.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the big jobs of unions is to reduce risks to their members, and in the case of the police, their biggest risk was public accountability, so police unions have been pushing to make sure cops are free to kill or whatever as much as possible and get unlimited funding, so police unions should be dissolved.

Firefighter unions seem fine though.

zoux posted:

Terrible law with predictable consequences, but why the gently caress is vaping so popular among kids

Honestly I think vaping successfully convinced people that it wasn't smoking and shouldn't be considered as negatively as such (even convinced many smokers to switch to it for health reasons), and with all that going, the anti-tobacco lobby has been slipping and opened the door to more kids to get into nicotine again.

Also I think a lot of internet idiots have gotten into vaping and the kids are really impressionable on internet idiots. It's still not cool, but other social forces have made the kids much more comfortable with being uncool. That was part of the original anti-smoking lobby even.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Their favorite DJ vapes, and that's enough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's the same poo poo all over again. The tobacco companies either own or have bought majority shares of these vape companies. They make the cigarettes, they make the products that help you stop smoking cigarettes, and hey, you liked those quit smoking vapes, check out these recreational vapes with all the flavors. I went to an informational session about a company that makes products to help people stop smoking. And they were dun dun duuunnnn owned by Philip Morris.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean if it's not harmful I don't give a poo poo if kids vape

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if it were better regulated it'd be fine. definitely not worth kicking someone out of school over

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
If memory serves there are big disagreements among public health folks about whether or not vaping is dangerous. One side sees it as a major opportunity to cut down cigarette habits, which is objectively less healthy. The other side sees it as a band-aid solution that is underselling how bad it still is for your lungs.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Shame about the cancer because a nice gold blend Red Man chew is the preferred way to ingest tobacco

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

zoux posted:

Ok, and what are the health detriments? Are they just from the nicotine? That article notes that "a teenager died from vaping" last year but I can't figure out what that means. Tainted vape, or nicotine OD or what?

Generally you don't want a bunch of questionable chemicals evaporated and stuffed into your lungs when you're young. You also probably don't want a child who knows no concept of boundaries or limitations or personal health to determine for themselves how much of those questionable chemicals to stuff into their lungs, and it's not unlikely that stuffing a bunch of evaporated things into your lungs can cause pneumonia

Regardless of anything, there is not a single smoke on God's green earth that you want in your lungs ever unfortunately. I loving love cigarettes but there is just no way to safely inhale burnt stimulants so I've had to come to terms with the fact that life sucks or else you die

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

If memory serves there are big disagreements among public health folks about whether or not vaping is dangerous. One side sees it as a major opportunity to cut down cigarette habits, which is objectively less healthy. The other side sees it as a band-aid solution that is underselling how bad it still is for your lungs.

Both these things can be (and are imo) true.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think that we have enough longitudinal data to say, vaping has only been a thing for ~10 years or so, it takes forever for lung cancer to show up in cigarette smokers. Most people who have lung cancer before the age of 55 never smoked. Now, that number completely inverts after 55, but it takes a while for the effects of smoking cigs to show up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I had a cigarette yesterday. it made me feel good and I looked cool while smoking it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

i say swears online posted:

I had a cigarette yesterday. it made me feel good and I looked cool while smoking it

Smoking cigarettes is hip now, vaping is mainstream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The silver lining to an impending ELE asteroid strike would be that I could start smoking again. I loved smoking and I didn't really get any of the benefits you're supposed to get, I didn't have more energy, food didn't taste better, all I got was less happy.