Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xibanya posted:

Back on Texas politics, do you think the drop in oil prices could have a knock-on effect on the tech industry in Austin? I'm wondering how much of the tech nonsense is tied in with business in Houston. Given I work at an accounting firm I feel my job is solid and I'd love to see Austin thin out a bit!

Nah, but it is connected with Silicon Valley and they're approaching the "IPO and bust" stage of the bubble.

I hope it's soon because they're one of the two cities I hope to live in if (probably when) I can't find a job outside of Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PostNouveau posted:

Other states don't do state pledges? Oh, Texas

Michigan does and it's worse.

quote:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of Michigan, and to the state for which it stands, two beautiful peninsulas united by a bridge of steel, where equal opportunity and justice to all is our ideal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PostNouveau posted:

So the open-carry activists have a new thing to push. They're rallying tomorrow foropen carrying handguns WITHOUT a license.

Also in that story, something I didn't know before now, the Texas Legislature isn't allowed to pass bills for the first 60 days of session unless the governor tells them there's an urgent budgetary matter. What the gently caress is up with the Texas Constitution? Legislature only meets every other year and then they have to sit on their hands for 60 of their 140 days?

I think a majority of state legislatures aren't actually full time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Lots of parking disputes recently.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Even the grandstanding is bigger in Texas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

I have an 1895 map of Texas with Leander is on it, plus a 1922 map with Cedar Park. Nothing I learned while attending both high schools told me that the cities existed before 1990.

My high school had "consolidated" in the name so I know it didn't exist before the 1970s.

(It actually did but it had a different name)

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 4, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I've several times put off phone calls while driving because of the Austin hands free ordinance.

School zones here got a lot safer too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't Texas a "Support Are Troops!" type of state?

Not when they're planning an invasion of your territory.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spoon daddy posted:

was it going to standardize in spring/summer or fall/winter time?

Fall is standard time so probably that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

We should just split the difference and standardize it to that. be 30 minutes off from everyone else

It works for Nepal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So which is worse - the centralization of money and power in automakers, or the local fiefdoms that car dealerships hold?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

So Texas has OC now, but what is that CHL thing? Was there a limit to OC placed when they voted for it?

As I understand it, it works like this: Before, you could get concealed carry but you had to get a license (CHL) for it. Now, you have a "carry" license that applies to concealed and open carry.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gatesealer posted:

isn't it illegal to call for the death of elected officials?

No, just the President.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I mean literally all that does is prevent gays from forcing pastors to marry them which is something no one's going to do anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What about the part about "religious organizations"

That's specifically the tax exempt organizations.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/TX/1/C/11/B/11.20

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apparently he's also requiring special ed classes to be videotaped? I have some friends who are special ed teachers and they're really mad about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thermos H Christ posted:

Also I've clearly been in Texas way too long because somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I halfway thought that things might be about to get better because even if we had to have a total shithead Texas Republican governor at least it would be a Longhorn instead of an Aggie.

Gig em.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Just for practical purposes, marriage law is statewide right? A marriage license from Travis county issued to a Denton county couple is still valid, correct? Not that people should have to drive three hours to get a marriage license because of shithead county officials, but people will still be able to exercise their rights even if they have to go to Dallas or Austin while we wait for rural and suburban counties to stop stomping their feet, right?

Yes, and any local institutions that wouldn't recognize the marriage license (I'm not really aware of any that use marriage licenses and aren't at least state-level) could easily be challenged in court.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jiro posted:

Also a shame the clean air ruling was boiled down to "clean air is too expensive". :smith:

It didn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

Do y'all think the cobra was part of Obama's dastardly plan?

No doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kha63bVVlUM

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VitalSigns posted:

I'd be a lot happier if our new governor weren't either a literal crazy person or pandering to actual crazy people :(

I don't think he's a literal crazy person.

Now the Lt. Governor, he is a literal crazy person.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

Considering the laws on getting financial aid when you have drug offenses and whatnot, it's kind of surprising there aren't laws that prevent scholarships while under indictment for serious crimes like that. Being private, you probably couldn't cover Baylor, but since public money is involved you could certainly do Texas, A&M, and Tech and hope you could get the privates to follow suit.

Good thing most sexual assault cases are handled in-house.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Great, now I'm in the mood to go to HEB and buy ice cream.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I think you guys are overlooking the biggest difference between the two states, which is the industrial base. High tech and entertainment rich people donate cash to Dems, oil and gas barons donate to the GOP.

There's even a similar bubble with the petroleum engineers here and the programmers over in California. The biggest difference though is the property values here can be/are much much lower.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e_angst posted:

So apparently 4chan is spreading a rumor that there's gonna be a shooting at UT Austin today. UTPD is (rightfully) saying it isn't a credible thread, but people are kinda freaking out.

Their first Facebook post on it.

Of course, that post kinda upset some people who decided UTPD wasn't taking things seriously, so then they posted this...

Oh, that's what that post was about. I saw some friends sharing it but wasn't quite in the loop about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

Is Texas going to become increasingly right wing every year until something breaks? With the elected representatives moving in the direction of Cruz, Gohmert, and Abbott etc. I don't see any signs of it letting up in the near future.

That's how it happened in California, yes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grandito posted:

San Marcos took fluoride out of the water.

Putting it on the intelligence level of the PNW.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't think Trans rights are supported enough nationwide for this to make anyone really care, even if you focus on the country as a whole rather than the NFL's main demographics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

boom boom boom posted:

I don't get what's so weird about Austin.

It's pretty segregated for a major Texas city, is that what they mean?

The ironic thing about "Keep Austin Weird" is that it's actually exactly in line with another Texas slogan: Don't Mess With Texas. In both cases, you have an advertising campaign for a relatively innocent issue (supporting small businesses for "Weird", and preventing littering with "Texas") that got turned into a political statement about the region in question.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

boom boom boom posted:

How is that different from Houston or San Antonio?

They're not white enough.

Like literally, Austin is billed as "laid back and liberal" in a PNW sense, aka the whitest region in the nation.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 11, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacebump posted:

I've always thought of Houston as liberal leaning but how did HERO lose so badly in a liberal leaning city?

Literally every argument I heard against it was the trans people in bathrooms. So basically because LGB weren't willing to throw T under the bus (like what has happened historically) to get their goals accomplished.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jaegerx posted:

Considering San Antonio is like 59% Hispanic I don't get it.

They're 46% Hispanic-White (26% non-Hispanic White).

For comparison, Houston is 25% non-Hispanic White, with a much higher Black population.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Kinda hard to put "Austin is no worse than the rest of Texas " as a defense when the mantra has been how laid back and liberal Austin is compared to the rest of Texas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

Becoming more Hispanic is a trait Austin shares with the rest of the country.

Yeah, about the only place that's not becoming true is San Francisco.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oldpainless posted:

In the end humanity will be one grotesque amalgamation of everyone anyway so what does it matter.

I don't think race mixing is grotesque, but okay.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

His birthday was on Friday, I bet y'all didn't get him anything.

No,but now I get to tell my brother he shares a birthday with a horrible person.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

What do homeless veterans have to do with Syrian refugees?

"Why do anything for the latter when we still have the former", basically.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
They are more flavorful but they taste like corn.

They're really good if you fry them in oil (preferably corn oil) though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

Well UT is going to start serving halal (and kosher) meals next semester, so keep your eye out for some insanity on that subject.

The funny part is that this probably only means that they are switching distributors to people that have certified halal chicken & beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

Statesman said a gun rights group just did a "mock mass shooting" at UT. I guess this is to go along with their terrible idea from last year of a "mock" illegal immigrant round-up.

I wonder if they'll use a sniper.