Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quandary posted:

I'm moving from Oregon to Dallas, what insanity can I expect to find in Texas politics?

- Most people really don't like talking about politics, but the ones that do are really crazy

- You'll learn to tune out most everything the state government does

- The state government actually only meets every other year so you probably won't know they're in session unless it's to defund abortion

- There will be dumb constitutional amendments during every single election

- Whole lot more references to Jesus

- If you're lucky, you'll get a Democrat for your House rep that's mostly uncontested. If you're unlucky, it's a Republican and also most of the down ballot races have either Republican or Libertarian candidates

- Overall, probably best to chill, enjoy the Mexican food, and prepare for that sweet 8.25% sales tax.

zoux posted:

More important is which sports area axis are you going to choose. The Dallas fanbase is loving dire.

Related to this: if you like Basketball, be a Spurs fan. If you don't like Basketball, you should because woof at anything else (except I guess the Astros last year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
My mom's extremely brown, has a Mexican maiden name, and her dad's actually from Brownsville, but i'm still white as hell. European genes are really strong I guess.

(That or her dad being half irish tilted the genetic pool more further in that direction)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, it's a super cheap place to live. v:shobon:v:

And it's improving. Which is also driving up rents and home prices, unfortunately. But for now, still relatively cheap, and easy commutes.

What's driving up rents is the 25x25 program and everyone and their mother trying to build new housing for the students.

And re: the mosque, yeah basically half of my friends were talking about that today (because they're Muslim or friends thereof).

Looking at the article, that's actually my friend's photo from Facebook they have linked too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reik posted:

Have there been a lot of studies in to the current method of military training and how it affects human psychology? I could see being taught to dehumanize the enemy as a form of survival could have very serious repercussions.

That's not exactly a new method of military training.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't have a roommate :smaug:

What are rates like in San Antonio? I know they also have a city-run utility.

I'm seeing $0.0691 per KWH plus another $0.0198/KWH if you go above 600KWH in the summer. Still a lot less than 13.5 cents though.

I think that equivalent bill would be like $200 or thereabouts with the minimum service fee.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
My conservative Facebook friends have apparently found out that the dude was not part of BLM, and are going "argh Big Media".

Not a negative thing at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This explains so much about their thought process.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Where are Aggies right now on the rivalry now that yall are in the SEC? Does anyone give a poo poo? Who's varsity team is getting it's horns sawed off now

We would probably be satisfied with a 3 win season if it meant getting the rivalry back.

(And it wouldn't even have to be a victory that year either )

Honestly none of the conference games (other than Arkansas and maybe LSU) really feel like rivalries anymore, which sucks. I wish we had a thing like Clemson and SCAR have.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiohazrD posted:

yeah but no hooters

or strip club any more

Or Waffle House. :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiohazrD posted:

bruh, im not sure if you're old enough or have lived in cs long enough, but before they tore it down and built something there, right when you would get off of 2818 at the university exit, before northgate starts (like over by what used to be zapatos, bar-ber-shots, daisy dukes) there was a diner called the deluxe diner. that place was the tits. but i think they closed it down in 2005/6

im spoiled after living in austin for a couple of years, but yeah i cant really think of a legit breakfast place. BCS needs a kirby lane

It's kind of a recurring joke among my friends. I think I remember a Waffle House sign on University near Texas ave so I guess it was there at some point.

As for legit breakfast, Kettle is not terrible, in a "regional version of Denny's" sort of way. Or at least it was the only place at 3am I could've gotten bacon fries in town.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

e_angst posted:

Honestly, though, a longhorn is a much more reasonable logo for an Agricultural/Mechanical college.

They're both land grant schools, so it still sorta fits.

Well, I guess A&M is the official "Land Grant" school but both of them had land granted to them (which was switched out to then-worthless-now-oil-rich land).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

Republicans really, really seems to be against the high speed rail project. Now individual counties are passing laws to interfere with it and don't you know that's just fine with a bunch of republican lawmakers. So long as you're not banning fracking or plastic bags.

That type of project legitimately has (rich) bipartisan opposition. Texas just has lots of Republicans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jiro posted:

Who's tentatively ready for September the 4th???? Cause I have no loving clue what to expect from this season.

Same, except from A&M.

Well, I expect at least 3 high profile games we lose, but after Auburn a year or so ago who knows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

I just found out today (after finishing grad school and getting a job) that HEB has internships in my field. I am so mad I didn't know about this earlier.

I applied to be a process improvement guy at one of their tortilla factories and I'm sad I never heard back from them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

That depends. Do you consider Bryan/College Station to be a city?

They added 10,000 people students in just the last 4 years so it seems they will be a city soon enough.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Born in New York, raised in Dallas from the age of 2 so I'm not sure where that puts me.

You're Hank Hill irl.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

17% of African American voters seems pretty weird to me when he's in low single digits elsewhere.

It's possible they didn't sample enough black voters to get a good margin of error. Likely Voter Screen is probably another factor too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

jeb bush is going to teach a class at A&M lmfao

You can't really scream daddy issues any harder than joining a department named after your father after failing at the thing that made them name it after him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Demographics make them long term losers but the question is just how bad can the Texas GOP make the state before the tide turns. I can't imagine the shitshow we'd have if Straus wasn't House Speaker.

Still haven't passed a Prop 13 so they're still better than the California GOP.