Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

And I'm curious why Paxton is the worst? He seems exactly the same as Abbott.

Not only is he the crazy anti-fed type like Abbot but he's massively in the social right wing camp too, and unlike Abbot who was a lovely human being but at least pretended he had to not let his social poo poo bias him. Paxton proudly uses that poo poo to bias him as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And just to be clear even the most religious cemetery will put someone in a vault, casket or not, there's zero health risk.

You know what there IS a health risk in? Not having a facility Muslim citizens feel respects their traditions and thus causing them to do as Dahn said and invoke the law that allows them to just take the body on a 'yea don't worry we got this here's the death certificate' and possibly not having a professional handle it!

Why it's almost as if cemeteries exist FOR the public health or something!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm sure that's a big deal and not anything like the Rick Perry indictment last year which was a ridiculous waste of everyone's time.

Yes it actually is a huge difference, excellent post!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

When Perry was indicted everyone was falling over themselves to condemn the indictment as baseless and politically motivated. I'm not seeing poo poo in defense of Ken Paxton, which leads me to believe that the party machinery thinks he's hosed.

The Perry thing was a case of him breaking the spirit of the law and maybe the letter and more an example of him being a scumbag than anything.

This is just super clear obvious law breaking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

Hope it won't happen, but I think students were hoping the complaints would maybe lead to the cops trying to push the poo poo in on those racist channer fucks, but we can't even expect police to abuse their power correctly for the actual safety of people.

How would UTPD punish 4chan

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thefncrow posted:

I really, really hope this is sarcasm, but this is so common that I'm really afraid it isn't.

Yes I also think poster boom boom boom thinks houston is passing an ordinance that legalizes rape.

Prop 1 is more than an LGBT thing, it protects lots of people, including, ya know, veterans and poo poo, but gently caress those guys I heard somwhere it lets men in bathrooms (because as we all know right now there's Toilet Cops in front of every bathroom checking your junk first).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
gently caress this retard city

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well don't worry at least we're making sure those fuckers in Austin have to live there, lest they be tarried from appearing at a vote if their horse slips a shoe or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fade5 posted:

You can always move to San Antonio, we still have an NDO.

loving Christ that's depressing though, seriously.:smith:

It's tempting, I have friends who already moved for work and all. I wanna stay in Texas or go back to Louisiana because I genuinely love these two states and consider them my homes but, yea it feels like every election there's a fresh reason for me to look at both of them and go 'man gently caress this place'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey houston goons what's the cutoff to be in the runoff for mayor?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh cool the two guys I hate equally. I mean it's not like Garcia being in the mix wouldn't add just a third turd in the punch bowl but man both those guys are scumbags.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean yea he's miles better than King in the sense that at least he's a generic Democrat but I'm not a huge fan of the dude pulling poo poo like playing the 'oh I evolved on gays' card while still doing poo poo like voting against something as basic as a loving study on the impact of bullying children due to their sexual orientation and his poo poo like 'well yea raising the minimum wage is good but we should leave that to a vote (that always ends well right)' or his 'no we need MORE cops and more money for their gear, that's what Houston needs!' stance.

I was a Bell guy, at the very least Turner agrees we need to fix our goddamn shitbag sidewalks, that alone makes me like him a bit.

I'm just drunk and surly really, Turner's a decent dude and yea, down to him or King it's not a question, I just wish Houston could have nice things and not just ok things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e: n/m for some reason 13's site hosed up for a sec I guess

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ratmtattat posted:

Man, I've been hearing the stupid poo poo all morning long at work. With some serious glee I've been told by multiple people how they checked the news first thing this morning, saw that Prop 1 failed, and how now they feel that there is hope for this country. It's not even the "rape in bathrooms" deal, it's just that now they're saying "Well now you can't claim to be a woman to get into women's bathrooms one day, then change your mind the next!"

But I CAN. I can just walk into a women's bathroom whenever I want! There's no loving Toilet Cop stationed out front saying 'woah, lemmie see if you got a dick or not' that the HERO poo poo would have had executed in the street! If these people really live in this world where they fear a dude walking into a bathroom then they already should be terrified of public bathrooms regardless!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roumba posted:

:smith: That sounds pretty terrible.

If true it's actually higher than the past few elections for measures, which is way sadder

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oil! posted:

It's cool because the pro-HERO people mismanaged their campaign worse than Wendy Davis. The first I even heard of anything outside of LGBT protections was after the vote when one of the supporters lamented that because it failed, he (an African-American) could do l still be denied entry into the bars on Washington. I knew it covered a lot more than that, but everything was focused on that one part that got the highly religious conservatives to fight it as opposed to also allowing local protections against discrimination to other groups.

I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about dude there were tons of ads and poo poo about 'no, idiots, HERO is about more than lgbt things, it protects literally everyone, like veterans, you like veterans don't you?'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Parachute posted:

Yeah there were a few different commercials that were pro-HERO (mainly vet oriented) but it doesn't matter what kind of positivity you're bringing to the table when you're running against a black and white ad that suggests sex offenders are going to diddle some kids in a public restroom and the ordinance gives them the legal right to do so.

Yea to be clear for non-Houston guys, the one of the awesome ads we were up against was a little girl going into the bathroom in scary black and white, a dramatic voice saying MEN WILL BE ALLOWED INTO THE BATHROOM and then it ends with a big dude standing in front of a scared little girl. It was straight up 'they're gonna fuckin rape your kids'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am sort of surprised at the apparent goon support for "top state officials do not have to reside in the town where the organizations they command are". That was the one state prop I thought might actually go down in flames that I wanted to.

It's completely meaningless. I voted for it because making people live in the capital in an age of airplanes and skype and poo poo is really dumb but its passing or failing will have literally no affect on Texas.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

Yeah and these are all problems with HB 1690, the legislation that stripped the Travis Co DA of the PIU. It has nothing to do with the residency requirement measure, they were separate unrelated bills.

Also the only officials affected by the requirement are AG, Comptroller and Land Commish. The Supreme Court, Governor and Lt. Gov all still have to live here.

Here's the change:
The Comptroller of Public Accounts, the Commissioner of the General Land Office, the Attorney General, and any statutory State officer who is elected by the electorate of Texas at large, unless a term of office is otherwise specifically provided in this Constitution, shall each hold office for the term of four years. Each shall receive an annual salary in an amount to be fixed by the Legislature, reside at the Capital of the State during his continuance in office, and perform such duties as are or may be required by law. They and the Secretary of State shall not receive to their own use any fees, costs or perquisites of office. All fees that may be payable by law for any service performed by any officer specified in this section or in the officer’s his office, shall be paid, when received, into the State Treasury

This is basically what made me vote the way I did. The issues with this are because of an unrelated terrible legislation, and if this rightly bothers you should be fighting that rather than the piddly crap 'no you have to live in Austin' stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/11/houston-is-already-feeling-the-backlash/

Huh weird it's like these backwards rear end values have become toxic to have or something. Must be the queer mafia or something...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The superbowl isn't going anywhere but us just happening to lose the college championship to cities who don't have the bad PR of rejecting basic human dignity probably isn't random.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No there's plenty of reasons to never do anything in Houston that requires moving large amounts of people, but I do think it's reasonable to say what bumped us from a 'eh I'm not sure about them' slot to a 'nevermind let's not go with them' is the lovely optics of stomping out what a lot of other places in America consider a basic equality bill. I'm sure we weren't high on the list to begin with and it's not like as soon as HERO got hosed someone burst into the office going "BURN THE HOUSTON SIGNS QUICKLY" but I think it could be a factor that makes us unpalatable to do business with, especially if this poo poo catches on in a bigger way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do agree the superbowl thing was retarded as hell to put in, there's no way any city loses the superbowl and posting some dude saying 'yea I'd like that to happen' isn't proof.

But yea, it's speculation at this point for the college thing, I just think that's a much more reasonable thing to speculate. Regardless I agree that Parker is right and this is just going to hurt us in the grand scheme of things.

Grandito posted:

San Marcos took fluoride out of the water.

Almost makes me feel like Houston isn't our dumbest city, thank you San Marcos

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

Look Houston may be overcrowded and fat and corrupt and intolerant and hot and has lovely traffic and lots of poor homeless people and

It...it has a lot of cool things too :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mandy Thompson posted:

What does flouride do? I know that its the object of conspiracy theories.

Strengthens teeth. You know how most people don't really go to the dentist as much as they should and most poor people straight up don't unless they're lucky enough to have a dental plan? Yea fluoride in our water keeps us all from losing our teeth in absence of those trips.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jaegerx posted:

Seriously gently caress Houston. Can we vote next year to just give it to Louisiana? Also Dallas to Oklahoma.

We just need San Antonio and Austin.

FINALLY an all white Texas with maybe a few Mexicans for tacos, just like Sam Houston woulda wanted.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't think people think Austin is necessarily worse, just that we like to pretend we're way better than everywhere else in the state.

Yea it's this. I don't think anyone thinks Austin is the hellhole of Texas, but when people from there pretend like they're some beacon of light us unwashed barbarians could learn from when really we're all about the same levels of poo poo when it's all said and done then that's annoying and dumb.

enraged_camel posted:

Portland with worse weather? :lol:

Yes, because 9 months of overcast/rainy weather is "good".

Also, Portland hipsters are insufferably elitist, whereas Austin hipsters are just laid back and weird. hth

Also this, at least Austin's brand of hipster is just kinda condescending but mostly just wants to chill out and tell you about their dumb one man show art show or stand up routine that's totally gonna change everything buddy. I'll take those guys over the PNW breed of passive aggressive boring nerds any day.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea as stupid as it sounds when you actually say "A&M is telling the Colts they actually own the term '12th man' regarding football" but that's just straight up how trademarks work. If you let one thing slip then fifty other people can come up saying 'oh so HE gets to use it? Cool I can too then!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it won't stop him but I'm 100% positive that's not his call

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea again I'm sure it won't stop him but I'm pretty sure he can't just say 'well then I'll tell the people in charge of carrying out a federal decision not to do it' either.

e: I don't think they have constitutional rights but I'm pretty sure we have a set of rules for treatment of them and all that's basically 'don't gently caress with the people fleeing genocide and poo poo, you idiots'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Houston mayor race is loving insane. Apparently Bell endorsed King who's now saying he'll bring HERO back to a vote and Turner is getting King's old crazy endorsements saying 'eh the people have voted though'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 19, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Scalia's got some hot takes on the UT case

quote:

There are those who contend that it does not benefit African Americans to get them into the University of Texas, where they do not do well, as opposed to having them go to a less-advanced school, a slower-track school where they do well. One of the briefs pointed out that most of the black scientists in this country don't come from schools like the University of Texas. They come from lesser schools where they do not feel that they're being pushed ahead in classes that are too fast for them.

I'm just not impressed by the fact the University of Texas may have fewer [blacks]. Maybe it ought to have fewer. I don't think it stands to reason that it's a good thing for the University of Texas to admit as many blacks as possible.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/justice-scalia-suggests-blacks-belong-slower-colleges-fisher-university-texas

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus Christ, Turner wins with 51%, that's insane.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oil! posted:

He beat the Mattress Mack contingent.

Oh man what was with that, why did Mattress Mack think that was a good idea? Who wakes up and thinks 'hrm, ya know what I should do, weirdly politicize my mattress store'.

I hope he didn't loose too big a kickback.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

enraged_camel posted:

Just got this email.

I love the link at the bottom. It takes you here.

Assholes. :jerkbag:

Can we also tell them to eat rear end here in Houston please?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The people of Austin apparently are losing the magic crystal tower at Lyft HQ that made no one ever drive drunk. hosed up, imo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Badger of Basra posted:

Before Lyft and Uber arrived in 2014, no one ever went downtown because it was so onerous and dangerous.

I went to Austin once a couple years ago and it was basically Mad Max.

Lost a lot of good friends on that hell road that is The Entire City of Austin

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is there any way to watch the state GOP convention? I'm hoping it'll be as insane as some insiders are saying it's gonna be.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've lived in the south all my life. I've gone from Louisiana to Texas, all I know for 'heat' is this muggy, wet, heat and humidity.

I still can't loving stand it. Every goddamn summer I curse God for making my home area a swamp that's somehow also on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

I can't fall sleep if I'm at all hot but I also can't fall sleep without blankets. I'm a real lovely fall asleeper. Excellent stay asleeper though. Extremely good go back to sleeper as well.

Oh dude I'm the same way. I need to have at least a sheet on but if I'm like, barely hot I just can't get comfortable, but yea when I finally do sleep I'm pretty primo at being out like a goddamn log.