Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I remember the day after the presidential election when not everything had been fully counted and KPRC had a graphic on the news that said Obama had beaten Romney in Harris county by 2 votes and just going :stare: at the screen for a good minute.

Also how many ring roads does San Antonio have? Drove through it relatively recently from Houston to El Paso (so I really shouldn't be talking about ring roads :v:), but drat it seemed like a lot at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

zoux posted:

I went to an exceedingly expensive private liberal arts school and I wish I would've gone to UT instead :smith:
I was salutatorian at my high school (public, semi-suburban, mostly Hispanic) and between merit and need-based aid it actually ended up much cheaper for me to go to a higher-ranked (although I suppose you really shouldn't put much weight on rankings :v:) private university in Massachusetts than UT-Austin. I didn't apply to Rice though, like everyone else I knew. Good god, the amount of behind-her-back complaining among my Asian peers when the black girl who was born in Saudi Arabia and ranked third got in and none of them didn't. Besides, they all wanted to be doctors anyway, so does it really matter which undergrad you go to?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm not actually a real Texan since I was born in southern California and don't say "y'all" so you'll have to tell me, what's wrong with Southwestern/Williamson county?

My high school had over 4000 people and it took me a while to realize this is considered huge

Edit: ^ they're all at UT-Austin, St. Edwards, and St. Thomas (at least the people I'm thinking of) and their Facebook posts look happy. I just think they really wanted to go to Rice at the time; I'm Asian and my parents were bugging me to apply to Rice so idk, maybe it's a prestige thing

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 16, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Lote posted:

Was it the Princeton of New England?
I dunno what that means (is new jersey not new England??), but Rice is definitely up there in terms of prestige. Apparently they used to take more in state students compared to now

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

How can the federal government enforce a ban if the tribes are sovereign?
Nation-to-nation relationship only exists on paper. :smith:

Jiro posted:

No you see brown < white so............. Also I get Paxton and Quaid confused so my reaction to that "trailer" was AGAIN??? Also I counted one Mexican villain, and Seguin as token hero that will be eventually be betrayed, and someone named Francisco. Yep that's what I learned in history one Mexican dictator, and one Native Hispanic Texan EVER.
Maybe it's because I transplanted here in the middle of 7th grade, but I don't think I learned even that. :cripes:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

As a Vietnamese American who went to high school in Houston, I'm gonna say that the best Viet food in America is actually in Westminster, CA. :colbert:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm curious - does anyone here know how bilingual ballots in Texas are mailed out to select people? Is it purely by last name or are there some algorithms behind it too? I have a Vietnamese last name and while I've never indicated on any material anywhere that I have limited proficiency in English, I got a bilingual English-Vietnamese mail-in ballot for the primary. I don't think I got a bilingual one in 2012 and during the 2014 midterms I voted in person. My district is 2/3rds Hispanic.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Harris county, Texas 29th. It was weird to me because I hadn't gotten a bilingual ballot in 2012.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I am under the hope/impression this is a parody tweet.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

how many of y'all are white

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Probably just you.

Sorry for your lots.
I'm actually Vietnamese and this entire conversation just reminds me of white people from Southern California (where I lived until age 10) and Houston (parts of middle and high school until college) that love their thinly-veiled bragging about all the Vietnamese food they've tried and which region of the country has better pho

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

You totally can and I'm not stopping you, just stop it with the "authenticity" talk. Good food is good food whether it's "authentic" or not

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I mean if you'd rather I'd post more than once a month in this thread with even less to say per post. :shrug:

Actually, here's a question: since Texas didn't take the Medicaid expansion, my little brother's insurance is going to run out in October. He'll be 19 and thus ineligible for CHIP then. I know that losing your insurance is an event that qualifies you to enroll on the federal exchanges but is the onus on him (since he's over the age of majority, but I don't know how this interacts with the age 26 rule) or on my parents to get insurance (they've been insurance-free since my dad lost his job :smith:) and who will be penalized and have to pay the fee come tax time? My suspicion is my parents on both counts but I don't know if there's some additional fuckery going on at the state level. He can't get on my insurance since I'm in Massachusetts, I don't think.

Wikkheiser posted:

Someone I know did this in a Mexican restaurant in East Austin last time I was there. When the Mexican-American waitress asked him (he's white) if he wanted corn or flour tortillas he made a point of saying he only ate corn because flour is what white people eat! The waitress smiled and kinda laughed and said that was funny because she liked flour.

My friend is kinda insufferable sometimes.
Did you tell him to order in Spanish next time?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The lack of comprehensive public transportation outside the loop is annoying

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Hmm my little brother is unemployed... :banjo:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I hate the nyt too but the chronicle isn't a national paper in the way the nyt, wsj, or I guess (maybe) the Washington Post are. Like, I'd hesitate to call even the LA Times a paper of record

It's weird to me that it's Austin that has the cool reputation outside of Texas, Houston is obviously the best city in the state :colbert:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yes, but in the public consciousness or whatever it's not treated like a national paper which is yes dumb. LA times has more subscribers according to this guy than WaPo but the latter is treated as more important (also dumb)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Maybe the public transport pitch can be this: if we had good transit in terms of reliability and coverage, most of these assholes you'd never have to share the road with again

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My old high school is hosting graduation at the district football stadium at the end of the month. They tried to get reliant stadium but it sounds like too many high schools want to do graduations there. I can’t help but think this still isn’t a good idea

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My parents do their car insurance at that agency, I remember being dragged there on the way to Hong Kong 4, very boring weekends in high school

Is new chinatown an older name? I always heard it called the International District

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Out of curiosity reindeerf, where in Texas do you live? I went to high school in southeast Houston near the border with Pearland and Pasadena during Obama’s first term, school was about two thirds Hispanic (overwhelmingly Mexican, even mix of long standing residents and more recent immigrants), and the rest split evenly between Asian (Vietnamese with Indians a distant second), black, and white (maybe tilting towards Asian). I wouldn’t say that they all loved Obama but I can’t think of any people of color I went to school with who like Republicans in 2020, 2016 was a very rude awakening for a bunch of them.

Edit: Obama’s first, not second term lol

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

How was Dobie High School?

Lol I suppose I doxxed myself, not too many high schools in the area with that particular makeup. I won’t say what activities I joined in high school out of fear of someone finding me out, but I liked it well enough. I’m glad they built the ninth grade center recently, 4000 students was pushing the limit

I wasn’t coming after you or anything reindeer, I just hadn’t seen the attitude you talked about, but those specific demographics I’m not super familiar with, as it’s a solidly lower middle class/working class area and dealing with my dad (older Asian Trump voter :cripes: although at least the rest of the family hates him for it) is enough, so I was wondering if the geography had anything to do with it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

When I was off from college, I would take the bus downtown (this was before they redid the routes a few years ago) and walk to the beacon to volunteer. That area did have pedestrian traffic and if I left around the end of a 9-to-5 schedule, there was even the on foot commuter rush for the buses/parking garages from the business types :yayclod:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

zoux posted:

We're calling the woodlands houston now

I went to undergrad with someone who claimed to be from Houston, she was from Conroe

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Houston and celeb chat: I saw Yao Ming at the Costco near the Osteen megachurch, back when he played for the rockets

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I work for a British company and I remember once the office manager from over there came here to fill in for our office manager who died, and we were at a restaurant and she kept saying quesadilla with "dill", it was wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My high school had a chapter of the fellowship of Christian athletes and they met at the flagpole like once a week before class to pray