Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Badger of Basra posted:

Working for UT admissions, I heard this all the goddamn time from people who either sent their kids to private schools that didn't rank (St. Mary's Hall in San Antonio, St. Andrew's in Austin, etc) or kids who went to Memorial High School in Houston. They all had resumes with lots of mission trips and studying abroad and all that poo poo. I hated having to admit them when normal kids who just did band and some AP classes at their public school might have to miss out.

Don't send this post to Wallace Hall, TIA.

I tutored his kid when he was around 8. What's the whole deal with him and the UT admissions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I was salutatorian at my high school (public, semi-suburban, mostly Hispanic) and between merit and need-based aid it actually ended up much cheaper for me to go to a higher-ranked (although I suppose you really shouldn't put much weight on rankings :v:) private university in Massachusetts than UT-Austin. I didn't apply to Rice though, like everyone else I knew. Good god, the amount of behind-her-back complaining among my Asian peers when the black girl who was born in Saudi Arabia and ranked third got in and none of them didn't. Besides, they all wanted to be doctors anyway, so does it really matter which undergrad you go to?

Was it the Princeton of New England?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe they can just start selling off roads to private companies and charge to raise the speed limit?

This is a direct reference to SH130 --the tollway that bypasses Austin. Right?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

zoux posted:

I doubt very much that doctors routinely ask about guns in the home.

In Good Government News the House is currently debating and likely to pass a bill that will ban texting while driving statewide.

Accidents, homicide, and suicide are top 5 in causes of death in teenagers.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

karlor posted:

San Antonio got hit pretty bad. Lots of downed trees and the power outages/blocked roads that result from that. Fortunately the city has been installing larger storm drains whenever they repave a road, so that definitely helps with the flooding.

But still...

That's one tourist trap!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

e_angst posted:

So after the BlackLivesMatter/BlueLivesMatter showdown protest at the capital, protestors decided to walk out into I-35 and stop traffic.

http://kxan.com/2015/09/19/protesters-shut-down-i-35-saturday-afternoon/

How did anyone tell that I35 South was shut down and not business as usual?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

"Friend Tiger" I said gazing directly into the tigers eyes.

Friend Jon, came the response- not spoken, but...licked.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The best tacos are from either unnamed places in a gas station or shacks in a parking lot labeled "Tacos" and nothing else.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Alkydere posted:

As an Austinite...I'm so, so sorry and would like to apologize. I feel tainted just by association. Torchy's isn't bad, but they should not be considered eligible for a proper taco competition.

Alternate best place: Spanish speaking restaurant kitchen's crew meals. Real Mexican cooking made by little Mexican ladies for their Mexican (and gringo) co-workers is some of the best food I've ever had.

I will also accept the alternate answer of any taco place has the word Lingua displayed anywhere.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
A vote for #Texit is a vote for anarchy!

A VotE 4 #TEXIT is A vOtE foR An@narCHy!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shifty Pony posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

I hope you love signs and advertising billboards all over highways

Subchapters B and C are basically the entire law and the reason every mile of our highways aren't lined with advertising.

Hey maybe the Lege will fix the law... After an orgy of grandfathered signs get put up.

Did they strike down the parts for "Don't mess with Texas" signs?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Aliquid posted:

Is Ken Mercer of the SBOE related to Robert Mercer?

Dealey Plaza.

Alternatively, Lee Harvey's south of I-30.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The most vulnerable of the Texas US Rep races for Republicans look to be (in descending order) 14, 27, 25, 6, and 32, though even 14 was something like R+11 in 2012.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Clinton also added a significant number of votes to Obama's 2008 tally, which compared with the other states is a huge difference.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Xibanya posted:

I'm from Georgetown am I allowed to complain or what?

Only if you invested with this guy:

http://techcrunch.com/2017/02/16/transcend-vr-sues-investor-mike-rothenberg-for-fraud-and-breach-of-contract/

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Parrotine posted:

Addison is a great area to live in, arguably one of the best in the whole Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Go check out Addison Circle park and you'll see what I'm getting at, it's a kickin' place

This is the first time I've ever heard someone say they like Addison.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Dallas is to the United States as Addison is to Dallas

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Also, when the gooniest motherfucker Harry Knowles emphatically disagrees with your negative views on women, you really need to rethink your position.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

LanceHunter posted:

Pflugerville's foundational myth is that the dad-joke of putting replacing a regular 'f' at the beginning of a word with 'Pf' is outrageously hilarious and should be done whenever possible.

I always thought it was a fart joke. Which is also a dad joke.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Trabisnikof posted:

Really? Who wants to spend their time and money dragging themselves across their congressional district to lose. Being a candidate sucks. Oh yeah and also, hope you know how to campaign (and who to hire) cause you're not going to get much help in that department.

Pete Sessions district suffers from this kind of thinking. Voted Clinton. No Democratic challenger.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Imagined dystopian 2000s Detroit looks like Dallas. Checks out.

In general, Dallas has some really good examples of brutalist architecture. Dallas City Hall. Dallas Public Library. The Medical School. Plano Senior High School. Those are all really neat examples.

Lote fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 24, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

DFW Airport is my favorite. It's like a brutalist maze.

They're getting rid of it though. Terminal C and E are the only ones where you can see it and they're in the process of renovation.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Zil posted:

I work with a guy who has lived in Georgetown all his life and he talks about how going down 35 the first thing you would see when coming into Austin was the Old San Francisco Steak house.

Yes he is old as hell, but still to think of the changes he has seen driving down 35 to downtown over the years.

One, you're using the word driving with I35 instead of parking.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Corpus gonna become Corpse. :(

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Dallas is a perfectly good average city. The worst part of Dallas is the people that try to compare it favorably to New York, LA, or Chicago. Or the Houston v Dallas slap fight.

Just look how amazing Dallas can be at being good enough but definitely not great:

Dallas's biggest QB was Tony Romo.

Dallas gave the world Chili's in 1979.

Without Dallas, there wouldn't be Texas Instruments, GameStop, Dave & Busters, Fossil Watches, Furitos chips, La Madeline, and Six Flags.

I hope the strongest reaction to that list was "huh" or "that's cool, I guess" or maybe "I didn't know that company is still around." Yes that company is still around because it's Good Enough!

So next time you're in Dallas. Find the nearest giant B and G placed randomly throughout the city. Muster up your biggest ¯\(°_°)/¯ and pose proudly for that picture that will get deleted after the trip or buried in a Facebook album because it's definitely not great enough for Instagram.

The only Dallas company that breaks this mold is Southwest Airlines, and they can :frogout: and have their headquarters someplace cool.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Austin is the most amazingly wonderful place to live, so hip, so fun

Said the transplant as he self soothingly rocked himself back and forth in his car, during his 2 hour daily commute.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If they actually build the high speed rail between Dallas and Houston, that will be huge for both cities for development. Also it would finally be something Houston (and Dallas) could point to as making it world class.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

skipdogg posted:

I think it's a perspective thing of living in the city. My wife's Aunt and Uncle are planning a trip to San Antonio next year for a week and I was all "Why? What the hell are they going to do here for a week?", but then I realized there's tons of touristy stuff to do here, but we never do it because we live here. I've lived here over 10 years now and I never go to the river walk, rarely visit Market Square, have never been to Six Flags, and have only visited SeaWorld once. There's the Alamo, the various Missions, there is the HIll Country to visit, the zoo is decent, the Witte finished it's recent expansion, the Pearl brewery area is hopping these days and Austin is only 90 minutes away.

It's such a shame that San Antonio is rebelling against its "Keep San Antonio lame" movement.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Back Hack posted:

It's been ten years since the last time it snowed in Houston, and it one snow that melts instantly upon touching the ground. This is reminding me '97 ice storm, snow stuck around then too before everything froze over.

It snowed 10” in Dallas and Houston 4 years ago. I went to work and staying like an idiot and had to drive back.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've heard Tarrant County described as a bellwether county but I'm not sure how true that is. The prez result there in 2016 basically matched the state as a whole.

But I got a feeling that it's going to come down to crucial Tarrant County.

BTW:
https://twitter.com/profJKAiyer/status/966125899186950146

Tarrant County / Fort Worth was the largest city to vote for Trump. If there are problems there for Republicans, that’s really not good going forward. I’m looking forward to seeing what the county does.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Guarantee this is because of the University of Texas endowment and it’s oil holdings.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Seems pretty straightforward:

Positives: The Emancipation Proclaimation, Reconstruction, the victory of the North in the Civil War, Sherman’s March to the Sea

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

zoux posted:

Good god
https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/996406236873678849

https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/996407220320468993

I think that a billion dollars could go a long way to improving the lives of the residents of Arlington

Yeah. The Rangers need a new stadium :v:

Arlington (and any of the smaller cities in DFW) would literally burn money than spend it on public infrastructure. Cowboys and Rangers games and even leaving Six Flags on a busy day are a waking nightmare trying to get out.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

mastajake posted:

Wait, who would we be stuck with? Or would it just be DFW?

HouAustin can keep Waco. Dallas would get Tyler and Texarkana so it’s a wash.

Can Dallas be friends with San Antonio? I would rather have a Dallas / SA pair than Dallas Austin at this point.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Quandary posted:

Dallas has no interest in college station and their weird fake arny thanks.

Yeah. Bryan and College Station can be it’s own thing. Like Montenegro or San Marino.

Doom Rooster posted:

Houston doesn't deserve top billing in that pair. I propose just going with Auston.

If you do it my way, it becomes the New Yorker pronunciation and people from Houston would be pissed. :getin:

Lote fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 17, 2018

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

duodenum posted:

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but Malcolm Gladwell's podcast did a thing recently on the possibility of Texas dividing itself. How when Texas was admitted to the Union, it was given permission to subdivide, and that congressional permission still legally stands. All it would take is action from the Texas legislature.

I can see them drawing gerrymandered lines encircling the border lands, SA, Austin, and Houston and making that one big super liberal state and then dividing the rest into several red wastelands who would each send two Ted Cruzes to the Senate.

edit:
https://overcast.fm/+NG9L1B8JM

That would also have the effect of seceding the House permanently to Democrats

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Austin is terrible. In 10 years, Austin will officially become a parking lot from which people post on twitter about how “progressive” and “weird” Austin is and how much they love live music even though they haven’t gone to a concert, ever.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shear Modulus posted:

dallas (dfw) is the worst (non-college-station) part of the state

Someone hasn't been to east Texas. or San Angelo.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Quandary posted:

An overturned tanker this morning in Dallas shut down all lanes of both 635 and 75, in both directions. North Dallas traffic is a warzone right now

High five!

The Tollway, Coit, Hillcrest, and Preston are probably anarchy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Gotta find some way to refuel and stop Trump Biff

Tiffany is Marty.