Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Some of you have never spent hours browsing in christian bookstores, and it shows...

https://twitter.com/JamesQuinteroTX/status/1641405543620259840

lmao instantly on the cross

It was made for me! This is my cross!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

<description of dysphoria so intense that the author literally cannot directly touch themselves or allow others to do so> "The content is clearly intended to encourage kids to try extreme sex acts!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/toddgillman/status/1647942931293110274

Guess I got nothing but fake friends because none of them have paid my parents 10x market value for their home and then let them live in it free for the rest of their lives.

Don't forget buying and bulldozing the party-house immediately adjacent to the parent's house. That's the sign of a true friend.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/04/24/sid-miller-agriculture-department-texas-anti-trans-dress-code/

Obviously anti-trans, but I'm curious how far conservatives will take it. Lot of uppity women wearing pants and men with long hair out there.

I know hat-boy dgaf but this appears to be clearly within what the SCOTUS said is illegal discrimination in Clayton County. For those that don't remember the plaintiffs exploited Gorsuch's love for extremely literal interpretations of statutes and got him onboard the argument that firing someone because of something you wouldn't have fired another gendered person for is discrimination "because of sex". That logic neatly sidesteps any discussion about what the employer believes someone's "real" gender is, the question is simply "is there a gender who wouldn't have been punished for doing this?" Doesn't matter if it is wearing a skirt, being married to a man, having facial hair, or anything else.

Basically even if you are a bigot and think that trans-men are actually women, if you wouldn't fire a man for wearing a suit and tie you can't fire anyone for doing it.

That was 6-3 in 2020 and would only be a 5-4 since Ginsberg got replaced.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

The focus on children's fertility in the anti-trans movement is so creepy. They keep just going on and on about how gender affirming care will sterilize minors, while also being filled with rage if you acknowledge that pregnant men exist because trans men have babies all the time too. (Estrogen treatment can impact sperm count for trans women, but a lot of them will either hold off on hormone therapy and/or bank sperm ahead of transitioning.) Because being queer doesn't actually stop you from biologically having children, but also, maybe fixating on a child's future sperm count is creepy and not your business as a government.

They don't actually give a poo poo about fertility, they just see it as a promising cover to get what they want. It is the same tactic they pulled on abortion clinics tacking on random surgical center building and admitting privilege requirements in the name of "patient safety".

There's a decent sized body of law which says that being able to have kids is a human right and that sterilizing someone who cannot meaningfully consent is very bad. The bigots know that all they have to do is half heartedly pretend that the laws banning trans health care are actually to protect reproductive ability and get the case in front of one of their judges who will pointedly take it as a fact and issue the ruling they want.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

POO on floor. Supporters disgusted by #2 sticking.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Idk most trans spaces I've been and been a part of are incredibly supportive of folks that were unsure, gave their gender a good hard think, and figured out at the end that they weren't trans. The people who gave it a go and determined that it wasn't right for them tend to be fantastic allies because they are some of the few cis people who have actually experienced gender dysphoria.

The few that go from "I am not trans" to "trans people not real" however are attacked with extreme ferocity.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

And I don't know what the gently caress trans people and people who care about them are supposed to do.

I left, and I think anyone with the privilege and means to do so should as well.

The game has changed because now state institutions are being proudly used to push anti-trans bigotry. I don't take hormones and I "pass" as cis, but I have a kid and I cannot accept the risk that some rear end in a top hat sees me wearing polish and a pride pin and suddenly I have to "prove" to a Paxton-acolyte at CPS that I'm not "grooming" my son or any of his friends by existing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Imagine a cowboy boot, stamping on a rake - for ever.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

We already have major cities in Florida known for their Pride parades not having them this year. The AG's ability in this bill to stop an event someone wants to claim is exposing kids from even happening could easily be used to achieve the same end. Some of it will just play out like the abortion bans here - where a dude used it to blackmail their wives for leaving them, another killed his girlfriend right when she got back from Colorado for an abortion, and a lot of women have nearly bled out or got sepsis from denied miscarriage treatment.

I could see the Senate accepting it, since it gives the AG wide reaching powers and still enables the witch hunt. It's not really going to be used against sexually explicit stuff the right-wing likes, because it's up to the AG to look into it. It's like how anti-sodomy laws weren't going after heterosexual couples, even when it applies. My fear if they didn't accept it is that the Senate would still gets its way and the Republicans would just shrug and pass it anyway.

Straight people love Pride though, so if the AG manages to cancel Pride, that might upset them enough to pay any attention to LGBTQ rights.

Seems like this would leave it open for a pretty easy "prior restraint of speech/expression" challenge.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ken is continuing his fishing expedition:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1659594020840980480

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Bananana posted:

Not all can afford to move.
I have a non-lovely job, and a house, and you better believe moving out of state while desirable, is not financially doable right now.

I'm going to add it all up and make a pretty timeline graph once things shake out but moving out of Texas has almost certainly cost us about in the low $20k range.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just a thought: if your future depends on the good graces of a bunch of guys with a penchant for day drinking it probably isn't the wisest move to try and embarrass one of them for being drunk during the day.

Anyway how much money did Paxton have at stake in this little corrupt real estate deal? I hope it wasn't much because that makes it funnier.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Reminder:

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1661921529905438720

Oh sweet, he may cease to be the AG as early as Saturday, never to return.

Lol Paxton

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"eliminating property taxes entirely" loving LOL.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LanceHunter posted:

Just a follow-up on this since I have more info now. I was talking with a friend who works at Dell Children's, and they were definitely fired.

Ascension... lie to save face? I'm shocked.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is amusing to watch idiot after idiot try to run the Trump Strategy without appreciating that it is 99% "Trump" and 1% "strategy".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"Property tax increases are capped but rents can only increase proportionally" would be a fun voluntary rent control program.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doom Rooster posted:

Yikes. I never tried the Chipotle queso, but I would never have guessed it could be THAT bad.

Chipotle decided that sodium citrate wasn't "natural" enough so they basically tried to make queso without any emulsifier. The result is an oily gritty texture which makes it a complete waste of cheese.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sab0921 posted:

There is Plan A - homestead only

There is Plan B - all properties

There is current plan - homestead + other properties valued at less than $5MM.

There is legitimately only one way with the current state of Texas politics that renters would see any kind of relief. In Plan A, the places where renters live is entirely excluded from any benefit. In the current plan, a significant percentage of where renters live is entirely excluded from any benefit. Only under Plan B do the places where renters live see a benefit.

Even if your thought is a landlord would still increase rents regardless of what taxes are doing - ok - but only one of the options provides an avenue for something different to happen.

Is that really a "thought" at this point? California has pretty throughly proven that even if given absurdly low property tax increase caps (prop-13 is 2% per year max lol) the majority of landlords will increase rents to whatever the market will bear.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jake Gittes posted:

Tell that to the red state ppl in Florida who can't get insurance.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/12/business/farmers-insurance-florida/index.html

poo poo's only going to get worse.

That's mostly because Florida is stuffed to the brim with scammers. It is run by scammers, for scammers.

Florida has a law that says that if you sue the insurance company and win they pay your legal fees, but if you sue and lose you don't pay the insurance company's costs. It also has a law which allows owners to delegate the right to file a claim to the contractor doing the work.

So a sketchy rear end roofer can go about pressuring/tricking homeowners into signing over the right to file a claim with the promise of "a free new roof!" They then file the claim for a full replacement at a rather uncompetitive price, often damaging the roof themselves to fake storm damage. When the insurance company pushes back the roofer has a law firm scammer buddy that starts the process of during the insurance company. The insurance company knows that there is a real risk that they will lose the lawsuit because people think big insurance companies are evil money hoarders who don't pay out when they should and also knows that if that happens they will also end up paying for exorbitantly inflated legal fees run up by the lawyer who is in on the scam. So the insurance company pays out the claim and raises rates next year to keep their loss ratio consistent.

If this were an isolated scenario that would be one thing, but with background level of scammers in the state and regular storms providing cover stories for the fake damage the Florida roofing industry is now essentially made up entirely of those shady people who show up after a hailstorm. Florida is responsible for something like 80% of all insurance lawsuits nationwide.

The result is insurance in Florida is now priced with the assumption that every house will have its roof replaced within the next few years at a non-competitive price.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 13, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

10-15 years ago "intentionally" would have been correct, but in the intervening time the state GOP has been effectively taken over by people who sincerely believe the kayfabe is real.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It isn't that you can't, there is just very little reason to since in most of Texas you don't need a deep foundation to get past the freeze line.

Basements largely don't get made in residential structures in Texas because they are quite the pain in the rear end to build if you aren't already digging down that far, they can't be counted as living space unless finished, and they can be problematic to maintain/repair.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kunabomber posted:

How many are actually staying in Texas, my recent phone banking efforts have been disconcerting

I got the gently caress out to Virginia. Everything in Texas was bad and getting worse.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Devils Avocado posted:

Asheville’s overrated. If you’re exploring that part of the world check out Boone, Knoxville, Chattanooga and Greenville.

The problem I had with Asheville, North Carolina, is that everybody just kind of drifted through. The economy revolves around tourism and non-retirees would move in, try to make a go of it, tourist season would end causing their income to plummet, and they would move somewhere else because while the mountains are beautiful the view doesn't pay the rent. It was very frustrating meeting people, becoming friends for a while, and then losing them over and over and over again.

Also the residents of the towns that surround Asheville hated the city with literal religious passion. The city/rural divide in Texas has certainly gotten more fraught but I don't think it has hit the level where people think Austin is filled with literal real demons lead by the Devil attempting to recreate Sodom and Gomorrah.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

quote:

When asked if bible verses were also in violation of existing policy and should be removed, Dungan struggled to respond.

"Right? Would you agree?" trustee Datren Williams asked Dungan.

"I don't know," Dungan replied.

:thunk:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My main issue with west Texas is that you've already throughly seen whatever it is you are driving to see by the time you arrive.

The night sky is something else though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

drat I had my money on the crazy living in a DFW suburb.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jesus III posted:

I found the cold and the lack of power kind of interesting. I just snuggled up in a sleeping bag and stayed there for 3 days. I did get up to eat and stuff, but I bet I slept 16-18 hours a day. Once I realized my pipes weren't going to burst it was peaceful.

Sounds a lot better than seeing my seven month old's lips had turned blueish from the cold in the house and knowing we didn't have a real way to keep him warmer. Definitely don't recommend that experience it's the sort of thing that sticks with you in a not good way.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Now do we have some uniquely dumbass things loving us over? Yes, the lack of interconnection, the lack of a capacity market, the lack of transmission, etc. But these are capacity issues and we're just using so much power that we can't keep up and it's happening everywhere. Like that graph of growth in solar generation over 5 years, it's like someone dropped a WPA project in the middle of the 21st century, we couldn't be adding more capacity if the state was running a public works program to build it. We - us here - don't want to see thermal generation increase but until battery tech gets to the point that it can keep up with demand when renewals are not producing, we kind of have to build them. There's a reason the tightest conditions were at sundown.

The closest Texas will get to battery storage is for every exurban house to be equipped with a F150 Lightning (King Ranch Edition ofc) that backfeeds the grid with Freedom Electrons when the sun starts to set.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The state has studiously avoided giving the slightest mention to the failures of the natural gas industry which took the freeze from "30 minute rolling blackouts, a couple hours at worst" to "maybe in three days". Turns out natural gas fired power stations can't do jack poo poo if the gas line is reading 0 psi because the gas industry is unable to meet combined heating and industrial demand. Maybe running critical parts of the gas distribution infrastructure on grid-supplied electricity without meaningful backup and not properly insulating/heating parts which deal with drilling products that are prone to freezing isn't a good thing?

Can't admit that the O&G industry isn't the perfect solution to all energy questions. Nope let's blame wind and solar.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean they do care in that their (legislative) elected officials keep killing vouchers and they keep voting for them

Exactly, rural districts use the ballot box very effectively to consistently elect people who block vouchers.

I can't come up with names on the spot but there have definitely been cases of prominent tea party nutjobs getting trounced in the primary in large part because they were vocally pro-voucher/charter.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Can you imagine how much he's going to double down on abusing state power for funsies if/when he skates?

As a queer person I'm feeling really good about leaving, I've got to say.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I will gladly offer advice on moving, coordinating logistics, and how to maximize your chances of getting selected for a federal job that you apply for. If you are considering central VA I'll even show you around.

I'm not here to gloat, I'm here because there are a lot of people I care about in the state and about the only thing I can do is say "drat this poo poo is hosed up".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I remember the last time I was in our state office for a fire drill, 7th floor, took all afternoon (not exactly sure on time in reality). Like, the stairwells were way too full for us to keep moving.

I'm learning from this search for daycare that the only affordable daycare is religious, and probably only some of those are cool with gay parents. So I assume school vouchers is just that for all school ages?

Dunno if it helps any but I know of a good non-religious daycare on Far West that wasn't crazy priced.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

I've lived around Amarillo for 15+ years. I've eaten there twice and one of those times was for a work event.
In other words I paid for a steak there once and never went back.

This touches on the truest answer to the question of what the best steak is: the one you didn't have to pay for!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I just thought the music was poo poo. Bro-country is an abomination.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I often wonder how much the aggressive anti-abortion rhetoric online reflects how normal people see it. Generally it seems like abortion is way more popular than you'd think from the loudest voices in the room.

I was in my second trimester of an extremely planned pregnancy when Roe was overturned. It varies person to person, but pregnancy is a loving disability and it's not acknowledged enough. The only thing that makes a pregnancy worth it is having a living child you wanted to have at the end of it. Any other circumstance is just torturing someone. It's loving evil.

I'm definitely way more focused on abortion for medical reasons for selfish reasons (not going to get accidentally pregnant over here). The denial of medical abortions seems particularly cruel because it's rarely a situation where the fetus could ever survive. It's just about giving the fetus a long painful death and torturing an innocent person with medical neglect for the sake of some self-righteous cowardly bullshit. Anti-abortion activists and politicians aren't the ones having to face the brutality of facing down someone in a medical emergency and not being able to save them. We're torturing the patients, the dying fetuses, and the healthcare professionals.

Pregnancy has worse outcomes than living donors for livers and kidneys, yet despite those being a practically guaranteed life saved there's no drive out there to force people to submit to the procedure and sacrifice part of their body such that another might live. Hell there isn't even mandatory organ donation upon death. Dead bodies have greater bodily autonomy than pregnant women according tot he gop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://twitter.com/notbigracks/status/1765046023745945730