Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

utonium posted:

That's not been my experience with the Roku 3. I've had a refurbished one for not quite a year, and I've never noticed that kind of lag inside Netflix on my Roku 3. Is the actual interface getting hung up, or is it just slow to load thumbnails, like maybe it's a network issue? Do you have a ton of channels added to the home screen?

I'm the same way with my Roku 3. I have pretty good internet but it's definitely not anything to brag about. I never see any lag on it whatsoever even when I'm screwing with Plex over wifi. I don't have a TON of channels installed myself, maybe 20-30 official and private channels total.

My only real complaints with the Roku 3 are:
- can't sideload stuff (I've got a broken laptop hdtv that can pick up this slack for the most part, but yeah no comparison to FireTV here I will admit)
- even when using the remote app and/or using a physical keyboard it STILL can't change focus to the typing area on youtube. What I mean is the keyboard works all over the Roku fine, but since I can't "click on the search entry box" I still have to do the incredibly slow feat of scrolling through that stupid rear end interface to take forever to even type something as short as "hall and oates"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Fremry posted:

Pair your phone with the Roku App, find the video on your phone and send it to the Roku.

Yeah this is the only way I find find to "get around this" even though I'd love to be able to just type into the stupid search field itself, but it definitely could be worse.

averox posted:

That youtube typing field thing though seems to be a youtube thing alone. My brother has a keyboard set up for his Samsung TV and we were trying to figure out how the hell to type into the search box but gave up. Then I tried to do the same thing on my Roku 3 and yeah, can't access and type into that field using the Roku app on my phone.

Good to know I'm not going crazy! And yeah it's only that one youtube channel I can see, but of all the channels to have the issue and all the people I've heard gripe about it, you'd think they'd let you press "up" and be able to enter into that field already. There could be some reason why you can't easily do it so who knows.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm thinking about getting a device that's able to do Netflix/Hulu/Youtube and web browsing for another TV. I only have a Roku 3 and a laptop HTPC at the moment but if I got Firefox or something sideloaded on a Fire TV would it have any issues hitting up a website on my local network? (ex. 192.168.1.15/index.html)?

-- also could the fire tv stick do this as well? I don't mind a little load time if it's way cheaper

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 1, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Do you bring a laptop with you to these hotels? I'm not trying to be a smartass at all, but I'm wondering why you couldn't just bring along an HDMI cable and plug your laptop into the hotel tv and not have to screw with anything else. I could see if you want to watch something while working on your laptop but I was curious if you had other reasons. I know there's a ton of stuff that only works or works best on a streaming device vs a straight up laptop with a browser but I can't think of many that would impact hotel life.

However I can see how super easy it would be to throw a Roku/Fire/etc stick in a bag (or even a full blown Roku 3 since it's so small) and leave it there until you needed it without ever having to mess with the laptop/tablet/phone/other option.

Random question too since I only use a Roku and an HTPC. Is there anything any streaming device can do to change regions in Netflix? (i.e. using a browser plugin in Chrome/Firefox to make it look like I'm in the UK and can watch stuff not licensed in American yet)

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 26, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I use a HTPC for all of my crazier things (meaning Kodi/XBMC or anything youtube related) otherwise my Roku 3 has been beyond stellar and I couldn't be any more pleased with it. I don't have a TON of apps on it but I like to think I have more than most. Mine is even going over wireless using a very dated 802.11g router and except for the incredibly rare "netflix has a problem with this" error mentioned a page ago that a soft reset fixes it's been flawless. I don't think it's ever stuttered on any video once.

The fire stick sounds pretty drat cool and I may pick one up for my family room one day, but for now I can't suggest the Roku 3 enough. I admit I got into the Roku game a bit late with the 3 so I can't really speak on upgrading and broken features and such, but since it came out I've been super happy with it. Even if Netflix/Hulu/Youtube takes a huge dump on it and kills it, it's still an absolutely amazing Plex device that I don't see myself getting rid of for many years.

• Locked thread