Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Chichevache posted:

No one wants a crippled alcoholic as a mascot.

No one said anything about Bernie Kosar??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chichevache posted:

No one wants a crippled alcoholic as a mascot.

You speak for yourself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 27, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eifert Posting posted:

DC Natives.

Have the logo be blank space.

I'm honestly not sure which of the jokes this is

Also, Blackhawks are literally named after an individual, which makes it...sort of different. They're named after the 86th Infantry Division, which is the Black Hawks, which is named after a guy we call Black Hawk, who was named Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak, which means "be a large black hawk." Also, the Blackhawks logo is some what less offensive than how offensive people would think it was, if you based the logo on his actual appearance.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 27, 2014

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I feel sorry for that native american highschool that kept the name. Advocates for the name and the plaintiffs for the case have probably been contacting the non stop.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sash! posted:

I was interpreting it as a play on the running joke in DC that nobody in DC is actually from DC, they all moved here for career reasons

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

het posted:

I was interpreting it as a play on the running joke in DC that nobody in DC is actually from DC, they all moved here for career reasons

loving carpetbaggers

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

het posted:

It could be a chocolate bar with a creamy nougat center.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

het posted:

Ding ding ding.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

het posted:

...well obviously. I'm one of those people (although I was born here). It was either that or that Europeans killed all the natives around here so there aren't any.

Growing up, everyone gave me Redskins stuff because that was my "home team" even though I'd only lived here from 1982 to 1983 and lived in Pennsylvania from 1986 to 2010 :v:

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Parlett316 posted:

loving carpetbaggers

this refers to people moving to take advantage of Southerners (:qq:) when in reality DC will simply eat them alive with terrible housing prices and career minded young professionals

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

this refers to people moving to take advantage of Southerners (:qq:) when in reality DC will simply eat them alive with terrible housing prices and career minded young professionals

It's a historical reference. Are you saying that Southerners can't hack it in DC or something?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Breaky posted:

It's a historical reference. Are you saying that Southerners can't hack it in DC or something?

The only SEC logo I see on cars is Texas A&M, so probably?

Also, would you want to be have it rubbed in your face that the North won and then took Robert E. Lee's house to bury our Northern Dead at? Alexandria just got rid of its law that north-south running streets have to be named after Confederate generals! There's even talk of renaming Jefferson Davis Highway!

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

We must feed.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Sash! posted:

Also, Blackhawks are literally named after an individual, which makes it...sort of different. They're named after the 86th Infantry Division, which is the Black Hawks, which is named after a guy we call Black Hawk, who was named Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak, which means "be a large black hawk." Also, the Blackhawks logo is some what less offensive than how offensive people would think it was, if you based the logo on his actual appearance.

You sound like a fan of racist names as long as you can have some kind of justification for it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sash! posted:

The only SEC logo I see on cars is Texas A&M, so probably?

Also, would you want to be have it rubbed in your face that the North won and then took Robert E. Lee's house to bury our Northern Dead at? Alexandria just got rid of its law that north-south running streets have to be named after Confederate generals! There's even talk of renaming Jefferson Davis Highway!

No I don't think any of that matters since it ended over a century before I was even born?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cole posted:

You sound like a fan of racist names as long as you can have some kind of justification for it.

But the Blackhawks aren't named after the guy. They're named after the 86th Infantry, where the Blackhawks founder had been a battalion commander.

Breaky posted:

No I don't think any of that matters since it ended over a century before I was even born?

I wasn't being very serious about it. But there aren't really a lot of Southerners around here for whatever reason, despite it being pretty THE SOUTH until the last 30 years or so.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sash! posted:

But the Blackhawks aren't named after the guy. They're named after the 86th Infantry, where the Blackhawks founder had been a battalion commander.

I wasn't being very serious about it. But there aren't really a lot of Southerners around here for whatever reason, despite it being pretty THE SOUTH until the last 30 years or so.

I wasn't really either. That's fairly surprising. You'd think by the nature of the place the demographic would be fairly spread around the country.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Sash! posted:

That's the justification I was talking about.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

Do you really think "Blackhawks" is offensive?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cole posted:

I think that Blackhawks being named for what they are is defensible and justifiable as a name. Might not be the most PC of things in the end but it's a far cry from a direct racial slur like Redskins.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Breaky posted:

I wasn't really either. That's fairly surprising. You'd think by the nature of the place the demographic would be fairly spread around the country.

You do see a very wide variety of logos on things, from places all over. There's a guy that has roughly the same commuting route and time that I see a few times a week with his Utah State Aggies license plate frame. My suspicion is that the schools in the South are producing grads in fields that don't really lend themselves to becoming bureaucrats and the ones that can stay in their region. Texas A&M is everywhere because of the DoD. "Where did you go to school" is one of those questions that comes up almost immediately and I can't really remember the last time I met someone that went to an SEC school. Closest would be a guy I used to work with that went to Georgia Tech.

Breaky posted:

I think that Blackhawks being named for what they are is defensible and justifiable as a name. Might not be the most PC of things in the end but it's a far cry from a direct racial slur like Redskins.

And if it comes down to it, just make the logo a black hawk. Which is what the 86th does anyhow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You might be running into a lot of Florida grads though and I couldn't blame them if they didn't want to announce their fan affiliation anymore.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Breaky posted:

I didn't even know Redskins was a racial slur until people suddenly started getting butt hurt by it 80+ years after it originated.

So basically if you want to break it down: redskins wasn't racist until you made it that way. The world had a GREAT chance to change peoples perception of the word but instead they decided to have hurt feelings.

After 80 years of not saying poo poo.

What changed so suddenly?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Sash! posted:

You do see a very wide variety of logos on things, from places all over. There's a guy that has roughly the same commuting route and time that I see a few times a week with his Utah State Aggies license plate frame. My suspicion is that the schools in the South are producing grads in fields that don't really lend themselves to becoming bureaucrats and the ones that can stay in their region. Texas A&M is everywhere because of the DoD. "Where did you go to school" is one of those questions that comes up almost immediately and I can't really remember the last time I met someone that went to an SEC school. Closest would be a guy I used to work with that went to Georgia Tech.

And if it comes down to it, just make the logo a black hawk. Which is what the 86th does anyhow.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Cole posted:

I didn't even know Redskins was a racial slur until people suddenly started getting butt hurt by it 80+ years after it originated.

You being a moron doesn't eliminate the fact that it's understood to be offensive by a large swath of people and particularly by those it's targeted at.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kalman posted:

You being a moron doesn't eliminate the fact that it's understood to be offensive by a large swath of people and particularly by those it's targeted at.

No the majority of it is just white people with too much white guilt.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cole posted:

Well yeah Indians are vast minority in this country and they are rather scattered. Them having a more coherent voice is more of a recent invention than we like to pretend. Even then they still don't have near as much cohesion as the other minority groups out there.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Cole posted:

Holy poo poo you are an idiot. Just read the end of this article. It's offensive and it's been seen as offensive for many years.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/06/story-behind-washington-redskins-name

quote:

The judges had to be a bit more thorough, however, and in ruling the that Redskins name is indeed derogatory they cited: (a) the fact that in virtually all English-language dictionaries the word is labeled “often offensive,” “often disparaging,” “contemptuous,” or, at the very least, “not the preferred term” (thank you, O.E.D.); (b) the fact that the term has virtually disappeared from newspapers and other media outside references to football; and (c) the fact that prominent Native American organizations and a sizeable proportion of individual Native Americans find the term offensive.

To my taste, that last point is given an appropriate exclamation point by a remarkable letter cited in the decision, written in 1972 by a Native American, Billy Kevin Gover, to Edward Bennett Williams, then the team’s owner (punctuation slightly irregular):

If you think you are preserving our culture or your history [by retaining the name Redksins], then may I suggest a change? To live up to your name, your team would field only two men to the opponents eleven. Your player’s wives would be required to face the men of the opposing team. After having lost every game in good faith, you would be requited to remain in RKF stadium’s end zone for the rest of your life living off what the other teams had left you. (Which wouldn’t be much.)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Cole posted:

Faaaaaaaaarrrrtt~*

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

WugLyfe posted:

Faaaaaaaaarrrrtt~*

If it's not the case then where were people at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or 77 years ago when the name originated? Nobody gave a poo poo for almost 75 years and only recently has it become an issue. Why?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Cole posted:

So basically if you want to break it down: redskins wasn't racist until you made it that way. The world had a GREAT chance to change peoples perception of the word but instead they decided to have hurt feelings.

After 80 years of not saying poo poo.

What changed so suddenly?

You do know that Native Americans have been trying to get the name changed since the 1970's, right? Just because you didn't know it was a slur doesn't mean that it's not a slur, or that tit hasn't been a problem for quite some time. The name was never meant to honor Native Americans as Snyder has said. The change from "Braves" was purely a business move from Noted Huge Racist George Preston Marshall.

EDIT: It's wikipedia, but seeing as how you have zero knowledge of how this came about...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 29, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

TubeStank posted:

You do know that Native Americans have been trying to get the name changed since the 1970's, right? Just because you didn't know it was a slur doesn't mean that it's not a slur, or that tit hasn't been a problem for quite some time. The name was never meant to honor Native Americans as Snyder has said. The change from "Braves" was purely a business move from Noted Huge Racist George Preston Marshall.

Since the 70s. That's still over 30 years since the name originated. And in every article I read about it, it's pretty much one or two native Americans that are bothered, but a lot of them don't give a poo poo. There are Native American high schools called the redskins. Why don't we take issue with those too?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cole posted:

Since the 70s. That's still over 30 years since the name originated. And in every article I read about it, it's pretty much one or two native Americans that are bothered, but a lot of them don't give a poo poo. There are Native American high schools called the redskins. Why don't we take issue with those too?

So racism is a new concept to you.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CharlestheHammer posted:

So racism is a new concept to you.

You didn't answer my question.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Cole posted:

If it's not the case then where were people at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or 77 years ago when the name originated? Nobody gave a poo poo for almost 75 years and only recently has it become an issue. Why?

I don't think you quite understood what I was saying.

Google "fart sound effects" for a more nuanced response.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cole posted:

You didn't answer my question.

Change then? I don't know why you think that I suddenly care about preserving these schools. I guess you are going off coverage but yes the bigger something is, the more coverage it will get. NA's have been working towards changing names for high schools but its usually only on a local level because their reach is really, really restricted.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

WugLyfe posted:

I don't think you quite understood what I was saying.

Google "fart sound effects" for a more nuanced response.

So basically if someone is ignorant you will continue to let them be ignorant instead of answering their question and helping them understand, which basically perpetuates an endless cycle of racism?

Or do you just not have an answer.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CharlestheHammer posted:

Change then? I don't know why you think that I suddenly care about preserving these schools. I guess you are going off coverage but yes the bigger something is, the more coverage it will get. NA's have been working towards changing names for high schools but its usually only on a local level because their reach is really, really restricted.

No no no, there are native American high schools. Like how Florida A&M is predominately black? There are predominately Native American high schools that call themselves the redskins and it's perfectly fine. Why?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cole posted:

No no no, there are native American high schools. Like how Florida A&M is predominately black? There are predominately Native American high schools that call themselves the redskins and it's perfectly fine. Why?

What schools are these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
You all know he is just trying to score points in GIP right?

• Locked thread