Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

toxicsunset posted:

Those people should be grateful the heroic white man did not finish what he started a few centuries ago so that they are still around to complain

The white man didn't try to kill the complaining white man though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cole posted:

The white man didn't try to kill the complaining white man though.

They did, just they didn't hate them while doing so.

Unless they were irish, and german, for a bit.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

Those people should be grateful the heroic white man did not finish what he started a few centuries ago so that they are still around to complain

Please source your quotes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sash! posted:

It would be the Washington Five Guys
That's good because the Redskins only have five good players at a time

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Washington Militia, there I have appeased the native americans by removing the racial slur and made the racists happy by naming this team after crazed gun toting whites

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Washington Militia, there I have appeased the native americans by removing the racial slur and made the racists happy by naming this team after crazed gun toting whites

Ugh, really?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sash! posted:

Ugh, really?

Yeah its a bit on the nose.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel like the NFL has not been efficient enough with their sponsorship and product placement deals.

The Washington Carl's Jrs

The Memphis NBA team actually tried to do this when the Vancouver Grizzlies moved down, as they wanted to name themselves the Memphis Express after FedEx. The NBA shot it down.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

The Memphis NBA team actually tried to do this when the Vancouver Grizzlies moved down, as they wanted to name themselves the Memphis Express after FedEx. The NBA shot it down.

Clearly though the NHL isn't as scrupulous since they allowed a team to be named for a Disney movie.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Komet posted:

Clearly though the NHL isn't as scrupulous since they allowed a team to be named for a Disney movie.

It's named after a hockey team in a movie, not a straight-up company.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah its a bit on the nose.

It's dumb for other reasons.

Although, if there was a Northern Virginia team, Virginia Militia would be a pretty awesome name. Dark navy blue jerseys with red numbers with gold outlines, red pants, black helmets with George Washington on them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Washington Redshirts

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

E:Trying out a new field template.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 22, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Washington Warriors with David Patrick Kelly as the mascot.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

achillesforever6 posted:

Washington Warriors with David Patrick Kelly as the mascot.

But then every other team in the NFL would add this to their video board rotation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgm8P3w_80k

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The answer to everything here is obviously the Washington USA #1's

Hell, Snyder couldn't possibly smugly Snyder it up any more that if he changed the name to the Washington Americans and kept the logo exactly the same.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

nrr posted:

Please source your quotes

- Abraham Lincoln

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nrr posted:

The answer to everything here is obviously the Washington USA #1's

Hell, Snyder couldn't possibly smugly Snyder it up any more that if he changed the name to the Washington Americans and kept the logo exactly the same.

I wish "Patriots" wasn't already taken because that would be the perfect sort of gently caress you to people.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
The Washington I'm Not Racist, But

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

nrr posted:

And thus the Nations explode into apocalyptic rage.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

And thus the Nations explode into apocalyptic rage.

Washington Nations?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

computer parts posted:

I wish "Patriots" wasn't already taken because that would be the perfect sort of gently caress you to people.

Washington Patriots 2.0

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Komet posted:

Washington Nations?

Pity Nationals is already taken.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pity Nationals is already taken.

Washington Football Nationals

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Washington Americas

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I haven't been following this issue at all so bear with me, but have other Native American-named teams like the Braves and Cleveland Indians come under fire for their names, or been threatened with the loss of their respective patents? Or is Redskins deemed more offensive than those?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

C-Euro posted:

I haven't been following this issue at all so bear with me, but have other Native American-named teams like the Braves and Cleveland Indians come under fire for their names, or been threatened with the loss of their respective patents? Or is Redskins deemed more offensive than those?

They've gotten a little heat (Cleveland more than the Braves, Blackhawks, or Chiefs) but not nearly as much as the Redskins. For good reason, aside from loving Chief Wahoo, but that's being downplayed because the Cleveland Indians aren't run by anyone as stubborn or stupid as Dan Snyder.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
DC Natives.

Have the logo be blank space.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There is a push from some groups to drop all Native American mascot / team names under the Not your mascot initiative, but that has generally less or mixed support then the really obvious two targets.

At the least teams should probably think about stopping people from dressing like extras from old Looney Tunes if they want to try arguing about it being a tribute.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Washington Americas

I would be so totally on board with Washington going with one of the amazing Wounded Warrior alts college teams do every year as their primary unis.

SO ON BOARD

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Eifert Posting posted:

DC Natives.

Hahaha this is definitely the funniest suggestion

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Eifert Posting posted:

DC Natives.

or a park bench covered in newspapers.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

A.o.D. posted:

or a park bench covered in newspapers.

That would be the DC Veterans.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Suspect Bucket posted:

jeeeeeezus

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veterans is probably a good name for an nfl team

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Kalli posted:

There is a push from some groups to drop all Native American mascot / team names under the Not your mascot initiative, but that has generally less or mixed support then the really obvious two targets.

At the least teams should probably think about stopping people from dressing like extras from old Looney Tunes if they want to try arguing about it being a tribute.

There's not even extras in cartoons that doesn't make any sense

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Nuh uh. I was an extra in taping of Bob's Burgers.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

loving winner

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If you can't commemorate the Trail of Tears, commemorate the trampling of the Bonus Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Real hurthling! posted:

veterans is probably a good name for an nfl team

No one wants a crippled alcoholic as a mascot.

• Locked thread