Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

het posted:

My understanding was that Redtails was a reference to African American airmen in WWII, not Native Americans? Either way I think people's attempts to make the new name "honor" Native Americans are really misguided and the best strategy would be to abandon any reference to it. If the team aims to do something good to honor Native Americans, they can do it by following through with the charity they set up, not making them a mascot.

Also kinda dumb because they have zero to do with Washington. Now, if Montgomery Alabama got a team...that'd be a good one.

Just be the Washington Potomacs, change the colors to white and red, and put the Washington coat of arms on the helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

Southeast Jeromes

Logo is Marion Barry.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Parlett316 posted:

But they would be back in they District hurray

I don't know why people get so wound up over that.

Also that Bureaucrats is terrible because that would mean I'd be the mascot and that is dumb as poo poo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Parlett316 posted:

It's 10 miles from the capital but it feels like it's in the middle of nowhere. Having a parking pass makes it less of a lovely experience though.

Going to Eagles, Ravens and Steelers games it was weird to be able to go to a bar, have some beer and then go walk to the stadium.

But there's that death march from the metro stadium, with all the people selling water and the bucket drummers :v:

RFK is also in a sea of concrete, even if that sea of concrete is closer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

The Army doesn't name anything, Boeing makes the Apache and the Tomahawk (which isn't named after a tribe but weapon used by some Native American tribes) is made by Raytheon.

They do name them. The Army names all its helicopters after Native American tribes and chiefs, according to Army Regulation 70-28. Assigning "popular names" is part of the acquisition process.

That's how we have Blackhawks, Chinooks, Apaches, Iroquois, Cayuses, Kiowas, and Lakotas. Generally speaking, it keeps going because it is definitely a tribute. Its my understanding that the Apache are proud that there's a badass helicopter named after them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alouicious posted:

It's like naming your team the Kansas City Buddies

Now there's a team name

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Seminole isn't even Native American in the first place. It did have a lot of Creek but it was also runaway slaves, Spanish, whatever showed up and joined the group.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It would be the Washington Five Guys

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If only they'd moved to Crystal City instead of Landover, we could have a whole Confederacy thing in play too.

The stadium would have been on Lee Highway. THAT Lee.

Although its got that name because he's from here.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Washington Militia, there I have appeased the native americans by removing the racial slur and made the racists happy by naming this team after crazed gun toting whites

Ugh, really?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah its a bit on the nose.

It's dumb for other reasons.

Although, if there was a Northern Virginia team, Virginia Militia would be a pretty awesome name. Dark navy blue jerseys with red numbers with gold outlines, red pants, black helmets with George Washington on them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eifert Posting posted:

DC Natives.

Have the logo be blank space.

I'm honestly not sure which of the jokes this is

Also, Blackhawks are literally named after an individual, which makes it...sort of different. They're named after the 86th Infantry Division, which is the Black Hawks, which is named after a guy we call Black Hawk, who was named Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak, which means "be a large black hawk." Also, the Blackhawks logo is some what less offensive than how offensive people would think it was, if you based the logo on his actual appearance.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 27, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

het posted:

I was interpreting it as a play on the running joke in DC that nobody in DC is actually from DC, they all moved here for career reasons

...well obviously. I'm one of those people (although I was born here). It was either that or that Europeans killed all the natives around here so there aren't any.

Growing up, everyone gave me Redskins stuff because that was my "home team" even though I'd only lived here from 1982 to 1983 and lived in Pennsylvania from 1986 to 2010 :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Breaky posted:

It's a historical reference. Are you saying that Southerners can't hack it in DC or something?

The only SEC logo I see on cars is Texas A&M, so probably?

Also, would you want to be have it rubbed in your face that the North won and then took Robert E. Lee's house to bury our Northern Dead at? Alexandria just got rid of its law that north-south running streets have to be named after Confederate generals! There's even talk of renaming Jefferson Davis Highway!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cole posted:

You sound like a fan of racist names as long as you can have some kind of justification for it.

But the Blackhawks aren't named after the guy. They're named after the 86th Infantry, where the Blackhawks founder had been a battalion commander.

Breaky posted:

No I don't think any of that matters since it ended over a century before I was even born?

I wasn't being very serious about it. But there aren't really a lot of Southerners around here for whatever reason, despite it being pretty THE SOUTH until the last 30 years or so.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Breaky posted:

I wasn't really either. That's fairly surprising. You'd think by the nature of the place the demographic would be fairly spread around the country.

You do see a very wide variety of logos on things, from places all over. There's a guy that has roughly the same commuting route and time that I see a few times a week with his Utah State Aggies license plate frame. My suspicion is that the schools in the South are producing grads in fields that don't really lend themselves to becoming bureaucrats and the ones that can stay in their region. Texas A&M is everywhere because of the DoD. "Where did you go to school" is one of those questions that comes up almost immediately and I can't really remember the last time I met someone that went to an SEC school. Closest would be a guy I used to work with that went to Georgia Tech.

Breaky posted:

I think that Blackhawks being named for what they are is defensible and justifiable as a name. Might not be the most PC of things in the end but it's a far cry from a direct racial slur like Redskins.

And if it comes down to it, just make the logo a black hawk. Which is what the 86th does anyhow.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I used to back the Redskin name because I was under the impression that it had more support than it really did. It does bug me that there are teams that changed their name from Redmen when they were outright named such because their color was red or ones that used a geographical name and changed it. And North Dakota State's Fighting Sioux because there was actually some backlash from the Sioux that wanted NDSU to keep it. And...to be honest, Chiefs doesn't bother me because it's a rank or social position. I do see where people come from there though. If you changed an Native American chief into a Gallic chieftain to keep the Chiefs name, aren't you just shifting the "making fun of" to a different ethnic group? Its so sticky and thorny.

The really vexing thing is that I try to think "what if someone named a team after something from my ethnic background" and I can't come up with a scenario I'd really be offended with. I wasn't completely on board with Notre Dame's black guy as a leprechaun but that's more because a leprechaun, by definition, has to be Irish. That's just an authenticity thing there. Plus he should be wearing red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

"Thing People Care About," and, "Thing that is actually an issue" are not the same thing. See African-American Slavery 1776, Exploited Immigrant Labor 2014.

Slavery was both of those in 1776 though.

I mean, it's not like they sat down to declare independence and write the Constitution and decided slavery wasn't an issue. It was, quite literally and not at all figuratively, "we'll have slavery because right now is a terrible time for the civil war this is going to cause." Slave colonies were openly threatening to go back to English rule if they outlawed slavery (joke was on them though, the Empire outlawed slavery faster than the US).

• Locked thread