Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Great White Hope posted:

Well, I don't know what the Chiefs' origin is, but the Blackhawks honor a local thing, and local team names are the best ones.

And yet the Illini

I do like a poster called The Great White Hope stumping for the exploitation of other heritages for profit though. Keep it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Only tangentially related, but hilarious

http://indie88.com/a-tribe-called-red-member-accused-of-being-racist/

quote:

A Tribe Called Red member Ian Campeau has been accused of being racist by Westfest festival goers after sporting a “Caucasian” t-shirt mocking the Cleveland Indians.

A Tribe Called Red is set to play Ottawa’s Westfest this upcoming weekend, but when Iam Campeau was seen wearing the ironic Cleveland “Caucasians” t-shirt, he became the target of some of the festival attendees. The festival organizers have been getting emails and voicemails of festival goers threatening to boycott the festival. “Deejay NDN” (Campeau) posted a photo of the email to his Instagram account.

A Tribe Called Red? Boooooo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alternately, if Chich tells someone to shut up and people start agreeing, woe be unto the person he was referring to

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I for one am convinced. Now that I know the Redskins are one of the most valuable franchises in the world, their name being racist no longer matters

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So what basis do you have for believing the trademark will be reinstated? Because it happened last time based on a technicality that has been worked around this time? Or are you sticking with the "The Redskins are incredibly valuable and thus can do what they want" theory?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Meh, all a big red title means is "I pissed someone off who has more money than sense" most of the time

You, of all people Fiz, should know that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/

redskins are #3
packers are # 12

To compare them to NBA and MLB teams is a bit complicated because the top tier teams there have better options with regards to TV deals (e.g. YES network for the yankees)

Tradition != monetary value

And by success he meant on-field I'm pretty sure

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Yea, but this time the title is right.

Admittedly the fact that he came into this thread with a "Heh, you liberals :smug:" attitude doesn't do him any favors

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nybble posted:

Chris Cooley, you used to be a lovable goof, now you're just an ignorant Dan Snyder talking head

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...g-the-chargers/

yes, the chargers, well done sir, you have bested all of the arguments, why didn't we think of that before.

-- Just kinda goes to show that the team and the players don't actually talk to real Native Americans, so anything talking about "pride" is just bullshit.

Discussing if the Redskins lose their appeal posted:

Czaban: The only good counter argument is to say as soon as the Kansas City Chiefs and the Cleveland Indians and the Florida State Seminoles all want to do this then we’d certainly listen to them if they want us to join their movement to change their names….[Otherwise] say we’ll be the Washington Chiefs and paint a more racist picture on the side of the helmets, a buck-toothed Native American that says Chiefs. It won’t say Redskins, but it’ll be a really ugly Native American. It will not be a proud, dignified Native American. It’ll be very cartoonish, like Chief Wahoo, with a big buck-toothed smile.

Cooley: Chiefs and spell it wrong. Put the [e before the i]…..No, I think if, God forbid, they were forced to change the name, they should just change it to the Smurfs. Something just out there. And then make the Smurf a little Indian Smurf, a red Smurf.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well you can't put "NFL" on your bootleg Redskins merchandise I'm sure

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh cool a bunch of new posts I wonder what ha-

God drat, just one dude being an obtuse moron

Love the moving goalposts too

"Where have the complaints been for the last 75 years? :smug:"

"Oh, there have been complaints for 40 years? Well that still leaves 30 years of non complaints, check and mate libtards :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: Buuuuuuuuuuuuut that's a derail I don't want to make, so nevermind

• Locked thread