Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

:siren: Stream is live :siren:

Summer is here, and that means speedruns!

Yes, it's the second of Speed Demos Archive's (SDA) annual speedrunning marathons for charity, Summer Games Done Quick, collecting money for Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) and it's happening soon!

And by soon, I mean that the dates are Sunday, June 22nd to 28th. There will be speedruns, races, and other random acts of mercielssly beating the game engines to a pulp and making them cry uncle.

Links of importance

Schedule: Found at https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule - and as usual, it's set up in such a nifty way that it will adjust to your timezone automagically. Through science.

Where to watch: As usual, it's all streamed on Twitch, but there's a specific page to watch it at - https://gamesdonequick.com (it'll have stream and stuffs once the marathon kicks off). Should that page up and die, the actual twitch channel is at http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda but that's only for emergencies.

An alternate way to watch is to do so via Livestreamer, which lets you watch streams in your favorite video player rather than a bloated flash browser tab.

BloodWulfe posted:

Windows users can grab a precompiled version right here. Here's a quickstart guide. Basically the only thing you need to setup is your video player location. The config file has a bunch of default locations that you can just uncomment. It should look something like this:

# VLC
player=“C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe”

Notice that the pound sign in front of player is removed. Replace VLC with whatever you prefer, but make sure MPC is up-to-date if you use that. Open a command prompt, enter livestreamer.exe twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda best, and that's it. You can replace best with low/medium/high if needed.

Mac users can run sudo easy_install livestreamer from a terminal window, and then use the same command as Windows (sans .exe) to launch it. It defaults to using VLC, but you can use --player to specify something else.

Linux users can grab it via pip.

Chats: Part of the fun is always to chat with peeps about what's going un, but twitch chat is generally not fun. Good thing it's not considered the official chat channel! Instead, take to IRC like a decent human being.

The official channel is:
Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #sdamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (can't use Mibbit for that)

Of course, we also have the SA speedrunning channel, which tends to not be as insane as above mentioned one:
Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
Mibbit Webchat

Suit up: The Yetee, as usual, has a lineup of shirts you can buy during the marathon. They cost $11 or $13 depending on size, and $3 of each sale is donated to the charity. Find them here.

Watch what you've missed: Link to timestamped vods can be found here.

=============

SGDQ: What it is

All money collected during the marathon goes directly to Doctors Without Borders, with no cut being taken by anyone participating in or planning the event. It's all for charity. All attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses.

SDA has hosted many successful charity events in the past, most recently Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 in January, which collected over one million dollars to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. To put that into perspective, after Summer Games Done Quick 2013, all donations to all the AGDQs and SGDQs combined had finally reached over the million.

While SGDQ is smaller than AGDQ, it also grows all the time, and the technical quality of the stream gets better all the time. But everyone involved are only human, and so minor hiccups are inevitable.

=============

Donations and you

SDA marathons in the past used a donation widget called ChipIn, but after it crashed and burned horribly during AGDQ2013 SMK wrote an entirely new donation system that's been used by both *GDQs and other community marathons since.

With every donation, you can leave a comment. In past marathons, all comments were read out live on stream, but as the events grow and more donations come in, this is no longer feasible. You probably have a better chance getting your donation read at SGDQ than AGDQ, but don't count on it. This should still be the long and short of it:

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

The donation tracker for SGDQ2014 can be found here: https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/10

=============

Prizes! Donation incentives! Bidding wars! Mayhem!

A thing that's certainly been driving donations a lot during past events are the different donation incentives, bids and raffle prizes available.

When you donate, you can have your donation go towards one of the many incentives listed in the tracker. This includes things such as naming characters, playing different modes, sometimes even choosing a game. The incentives and bids you can donate for can all be found on this page.

There's also a lot of prizes available that you can win! A full list of the prizes can be found here. There are two kinds of prizes, regular and grand. To enter the running for a regular prize, make a donation during the game block that particular prize is specified for - how much you have to donate tends to differ, but the buy-in tends to range beteen 5 and 25 dollars. All the amounts will be listed in the tracker once all the prizes have been entered into it. For the grand prize, all your donations during the event are tallied, and you can get up to three entires - at least, that is how it has worked in the past. The tracker lists all the prizes and their buy-ins here.

So - what can you actually win?

Some great things, such as:

A Vile figurine

Signed Orange Box

Signed Kanto Field Guide

Perlers

Perlers

Perlers

Zero Suit Samus alpaco Alpaca :3:

Video games

Aaaand a lot of other stuff. Read the list, check the tracker when it's been filled in.

=============

FAQ:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There is no one answer to this question. Anyone you ask will give a different answer. Read the schedule, they'll all be great. Tune in for any game you're interested in.

Some of the runs that turn out to be the most amazing will be listed in the second post eventually. If you think a run should be in that post, let me know.

Q: Will ____ be there?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. It's probably a wise idea to avoid bringing up some of the more controversial runners/commentators from the past.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. SGDQ, like AGDQ, has grown so much that it's not possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. Many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon. This might improve for future years, as there have been talks about expanding it to two streams - but that's so far only a distant plan. There will be a bonus stream after the main marathon, so stick around for that for some unscheduled goodness too.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: We went over that already, but in short, because they get so many comments that it's not possible to read them all.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: The Crowne Plaza (DIA) Hotel in Denver, Colorado.

(okay I pretty much just copied the FAQ from the AGDQ thread but that's okay because I wrote that)

=============

And I think that's about all the info we need. Got anything you think should be added? Let me know.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

List of runs you should watch (as recommended by various people)

I Wanna Be the Boshy - IWBTG fangame, very good execution and entertaining commentary.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Race) - While the race was a bit of an outclassing going by the times, this has still been called a good watch.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - The most PJ run ever.

The Lost Vikings - Three vikings. Two controllers. One player.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch - It's Octodad, what more do you need

Duke Nukem II - World record!

ZZT - Recommended by a lot of people. WR.

Bubble Bobble - MetaSigma and Darkwing Duck... cooperates is the wrong word. They did a thing. And it was glorious.

Metal Wolf Chaos - See this is basically one of those games where the run would be recommended no matter how the run went.

Metroid Fusion - A 1% race with three participants. Go Jaggerstrats!

Mega Man X2 - Mega Man runs tend to be great. This one was a 4-way race with great commentary, making it a must-watch.

SGDQ fanart and other cool stuff

by Pendleton Ward (yes, that one)

by Rumrusher

A lot of cool sketches

Striker's Speedrun Song

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 29, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think anything can top the Super Metroid race from the winter, but I'll definitely watch a Jet Set Radio Future run.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Taking side bets on the number of days before someone gets kicked out of the hotel for being an idiot and smoking in their shower or something.

e. I'm excited for Lazerlong and SpikeVegita to make a heel turn durring laz's madworld run and start a new stable with naegleria.

e.e. someone better post a picture of siglemic playing smash, ever since seeing that every day at agdq 14 it just wouldn't be a marathon without it.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 18, 2014

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I'm happy to see all the races, particularly the Symphony of the Night race. The various races like Super Metroid and Rescue Rangers were some of the most interesting parts of the winter marathon.

Also Gildersneeze is gonna do Clash at Demonhead :bubblewoop:

Good luck dude!

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came
Goddamn I love A/SGDQ. My favorite parts are the challenges and I could not possibly be more psyched for a one-person Portal 2 co-op run.

I really wish 100% FFVI wasn't from midnight to 7 AM! I might have to watch... a... VOD... :negative:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I actually like the 6+ hour runs taking up the 'dead' hours. There's a lot of great runs in past GDQs that got missed by a lot of people by being at 2 in the morning.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Didn't get a lot of chance to chat with goons at the last AGDQ, gonna correct my mistake with this time. Really looking forward to the La-Mulana run, remake or not.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Zero Suit Samus Alpaca is adorable.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think anything can top the Super Metroid race from the winter, but I'll definitely watch a Jet Set Radio Future run.

I'm most excited for the Uyama / Sinister TMNT IV race.

There are 19 races on the main schedule though, so a few of them are bound to be good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I am going to be so sad if the Metal Wolf Chaos buffer run ends up being skipped. :qq:

Everyone needs to experience Metal Wolf Chaos, the most patriotic game ever made, which was developed by a Japanese company and then never released in the US.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 18, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I feel bad for the guy who's apparently supposed to be running Paper Mario 2 for an estimated 6 hours.

e: Also I hope Morrowind ends up getting run.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I am super excited for that little Treasure block next Wednesday. Bangai-O is a crazy, wonderful game.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gonna hope the Jet Set Radio future runner on the first day isn't a shitlord, because that's one of my all time favorite games, and I'd love to see it speedrun/done quick

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

KittyEmpress posted:

Gonna hope the Jet Set Radio future runner on the first day isn't a shitlord, because that's one of my all time favorite games, and I'd love to see it speedrun/done quick

The jet set radio future runner isn't going to make it, so yea scratch that off the schedule unfortunately.

Sindai posted:

I am going to be so sad if the Metal Wolf Chaos buffer run ends up being skipped. :qq:

Everyone needs to experience Metal Wolf Chaos, the most patriotic game ever made, which was developed by a Japanese company and then never released in the US.

:911:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And the Metal Wolf runner is a goon, so I trust everyone will support it. :colbert:

Thanks for the thread Kenny.

Also what's everyone looking forward to the most? I got my eye on a bunch of races, Shatterhand should be hype as gently caress, especially since UA hasn't streamed his practice, TMNT IV should be fantastic as well, also forward to the X2 race, Tiki and Caleb are the obvious favorites to win but who knows, Pie might surprise us.

Also Striker running Return of the Jedi, watch that run, follow that man, Striker is the loving best.

Either way, it should be a killer thon, can't loving wait, hopefully I can attend one of these years.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Alteisen posted:

also forward to the X2 race, Tiki and Caleb are the obvious favorites to win but who knows, Pie might surprise us.

I, too, am rooting for Tiki to win the Mega Man X2 race between CalebHart, Iateyourpie, Ivan, and Trogdor.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Pie might surprise us.
:laugh:
Trogdor is super consistent

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Studio posted:

:laugh:
Trogdor is super consistent

Stranger things have happened. :v:

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Have fun gaming.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Alteisen posted:

Also what's everyone looking forward to the most?
There's a lot of good stuff on there but I think what I'm the most excited about is one player two controllers The Lost Vikings.

And Shantae, never seen a speedrun of that before.

goatrope
Feb 24, 2007
Hey all. Just letting you know that I've heard that the guy running Halo Legendary this year is very cool, and that everyone should watch his run at the marathon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sindai posted:

Metal Wolf Chaos is the most expensive game I have ever purchased.

It was worth every penny. :911:

I always look forward to the weird ones. A ZZT run? I'll watch that!

I wonder if the C64 block is allowed to use a speed enhancer for their 1541...

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

goatrope posted:

Hey all. Just letting you know that I've heard that the guy running Halo Legendary this year is very cool, and that everyone should watch his run at the marathon.

Oh hey goat. Didn't know you posted here. You're a cool dude and I love posting dog faces in your stream.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

The jet set radio future runner isn't going to make it, so yea scratch that off the schedule unfortunately.

Aww god drat it. I guess I'll look out for seeing if I can catch other ones and see how I feel about them, but none of the other games have as big of a draw.

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came

Alteisen posted:

Also what's everyone looking forward to the most?
Aside from the aforementioned ONE PLAYER CO-OP PORTAL 2 and FFVI 100% run (and the obvious Super Metroid):
Bastion
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Rise of the Owlverlord
Super Meat Boy 106% and blindfolded
Dishonored race
Metroid Prime 1 or 2

(but I am going to watch as much as I can every day because I'm a teacher and it's summer break and I loving love GDQ)

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Sindai posted:

If it somehow doesn't make it into the main stream it's guaranteed to be in Bonus Stream (that's where it was before it managed to sneak back on the main schedule).

Random Stranger posted:

I wonder if the C64 block is allowed to use a speed enhancer for their 1541...

If he has one, sure. Loading times for games like that would be factored out in an SDA run anyway, and we're definitely more permissive in marathons than we would be in a submission run.

SGDQ starts for me at about 6:30 tomorrow morning when I have to get up and pick up Uyama and romscout at the airport. Their flights come in around 7:45am. Then I get to haul stuff from the storage locker to the hotel. I have literally 30+ packages that have shown up in the last month or so, all of it marathon equipment of some sort.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 19, 2014

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SO I have to ask, does anyone really like or want those perlers? They seem so incredibly nerdy I would be embarrassed to get one, and I say that being nerdy enough to tell my friends to watch people run games real quicklike.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Ramadu posted:

SO I have to ask, does anyone really like or want those perlers? They seem so incredibly nerdy I would be embarrassed to get one, and I say that being nerdy enough to tell my friends to watch people run games real quicklike.

Ever since I won the Shatterhand perler two years ago it's been hanging in my office window. :colbert:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
why do they always end with a giant JRPG run anyways?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

legoman727 posted:

So people can vote on their names throughout the marathon I believe(this is also why Super Metroid tends to be near the end, for save/kill animals).

Also, they tend to make bank. i think something like 200k was raised during Chrono Trigger alone in last AGDQ.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Because for some reason people like them a whole bunch. I guess some people would rather see their favorite games get played more then a game with a more interesting speedrun.

I don't really remember the donation numbers from the last couple years, but aren't the JRPGs constantly some of the biggest earners?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm disappointed in the lack of Sanicball this season.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

UraniumAnchor posted:

Ever since I won the Shatterhand perler two years ago it's been hanging in my office window. :colbert:

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeerd :greencube:

But really, I think all the prizes are cool stuff but those, I guess I'm just a miserly old bastard.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ramadu posted:

Are you for real?

Unless its something horrifying, I don't see the problem with embracing what you like.

Speaking of 2 player, 1 guy stuff, Sinister has been hard at work on doing just that in Rescue Rangers 2, so keep an eye on that run.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The small ones never seemed worth it unless you got a handful. The big ones, though, the ones that you could frame and hang instead of pictures, I've tried to donate for a couple of those every year. Things like Megaman's Bass, Samus in her armour, Chrono Trigger's ship the Epoch.

Although speaking of the small ones the 3D Blaster Master perler was pretty wicked.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

Ramadu posted:

Got a Jolteon perler awhile back in a streamers raffle, and I was pretty psyched. Awesome little thing. Wouldn't exactly buy one, but if its between donating money to a great cause, and donating money to a great cause while getting a chance to win an awesome nerdy little decoration, the appeal should be obvious.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

There's a lot of good stuff on there but I think what I'm the most excited about is one player two controllers The Lost Vikings.

I'm really excited for that one too. Johann is awesome at the game, and it's a ton of fun to watch. It would be neat to see the new switch stagger in a marathon run, but I don't think he had enough time to really practice/route it.

legoman727 posted:

Because JRPG runs are awesome. Also it's hard to wedge a 4~7 hour run into the middle of the schedule.

e: Perlers are neat. I stick magnets on the smaller ones and put them on my fridge, and I have a big one hanging out in my office.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
What meme should I put as my donation comment?

Also do I have to donate during the run of a prize I want or can I pre-emptively do so? I assume not because it would be a huge hassle. My poor sleep schedule.
I don't live in the US, would I have to pay postage for prizes?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

FillInTheBlank posted:

What meme should I put as my donation comment?

FrankerZ, duh.

quote:

Also do I have to donate during the run of a prize I want or can I pre-emptively do so? I assume not because it would be a huge hassle. My poor sleep schedule.

During the block only. This might change at some point in the future, but for now that's high prizes work.

quote:

I don't live in the US, would I have to pay postage for prizes?

Unless you live on some island in the middle of nowhere, I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

UraniumAnchor posted:

Unless you live on some island in the middle of nowhere, I don't think so.

I live on an island in south Pacific Ocean, does that count?

• Locked thread