Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The other year I donated under the name of "Mike Hawke" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbeUXv6DnwU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 610 days!
I do not know what this is but it looks sad.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Cesar Cedeno posted:

I do not know what this is but it looks sad.

http://www.mariomarathon.com/

Starting in 2008, Mario Marathon is an annual charity event run out of Lafayette, Indiana and broadcast on Twitch. The premise is simple: over a weekend (read: until a Tuesday), beat every home console Mario platformer, with the number of levels to beat based on donations.

What's the charity?

Child's Play. Now, before you vote 1 on this thread, keep in mind that it's a worthwhile charity that also gives money to domestic violence shelters.

Why are these people using old memes?

Keep in mind, the people who put on Mario Marathon are not 'hip'. These are average people with normal lives, and they can't be bothered to learn what's cool on the internet this second.

What's in it for me?

For every donation of some amount (depending on the hour), you are entered into a random drawing for special, one-of-a-kind Mario mementos (usually Mario Marathon shirts, which are not for sale). Of course, near the end of the event, expect either a Nintendo 3DS or Wii U up to one lucky individual who donated.

THE ORDER OF GAMES (100% in bold, warps in italics)

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario World
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Green Star Challenge

Hey! They're using warps in four of the games!

Due to the nature of there now being 12 core Mario games and the fact they have day jobs, what once was possible with asking three days off from work just isn't possible anymore for non-speedrunners. Of course, if they raise more than their highest donation level, they might do more, who knows.

The Mario action starts this Friday at 11AM Eastern, so tune in any way you can! Make sure you mention Something Awful in your donation!

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 610 days!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Why the hell is the gameplay in the tiny box while this gaudy child's playroom filled with fat white lumps front and center

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

JethroMcB posted:

Why the hell is the gameplay in the tiny box while this gaudy child's playroom filled with fat white lumps front and center

it's so they can do the memes, obviously

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

why dont they consider super mario world 2 a core mario game??

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

outdated memes? not interested.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
haha they just got 100 coins on whomps fortress while having to do it with two guys sharing one controller (one controls the stick, the other controls buttons) and then jumped off the level instead of grabbing the star

epic fail!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
someone call child protective services, this is an unfit environment for a kid

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cyra posted:

Hey! They're using warps in four of the games!

Due to the nature of there now being 12 core Mario games and the fact they have day jobs

Filthy casuals

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I want to see ALL of those Mario Sunshine Blue coins. :colbert:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
why don't they just do the warp games on later days and keep the marathon going

or are they travelling for this

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
lol this chump doesn't know about the fake penguin

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mario couldn't run a marathon if he tried, OP.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I appreciate them putting the couch camera on the bigger section of the screen because God knows a bunch of guys sitting still doing nothing is way more interesting than a video game.

Soral
May 30, 2009

im going to donate a high speed camera instead of money so when they play back the recorded footage you can see the thunderous flapping of that guy's gross fat rolls as he laughs at the other fatty's epic meme reference. watch as the rivulets of sweat slowly roll down his triple chin due to the heart-straining exercize of throwing the controller across the room in a fit of rage when he dies on the purple coin level of mario galaxy for the 18th time, all captured in hi definition video at eight thousand frames per second.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I liked the part where the speed run thread in games is posting about this as if there was any skill on display.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SeXReX posted:

I liked the part where the speed run thread in games is posting about this as if there was any skill on display.

the speedrun thread in games is a stream thread that gets worked into a frenzy over any stream, making it near-useless

surc
Aug 17, 2004

This would be cooler if it was mario sprites stuck into the Marathon games.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
did any of them die yet

did any of them succumb to the physical stress of playing mario and eating a bag of pizza rolls

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
no, but someone DDoS'd them lol

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
what kind of SICK gently caress would take away the video games from the children

brings my mountain dew infused piss to an absolute boil

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

This is the gayest poo poo ever.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I can't wait for the parts where they play the new super mario brothers wii and wii u single player while there are 10 people in the room watching but no one is talking

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
these charity streams make me want to take money from their causes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
who has time to watch someone else play videogames its unbelievable just play a game dipshits even your time is somehow not that worthless

• Locked thread