Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

I first heard about this at GDC. It was sharing booth-space with Goat Simulator (Made by the same guys), and everybody was ignoring it to line up and lick things as a goat but it actually looked kind of cool and like people were trying to make a real game. I bought it because it's cheap during the steam sale and apparently it's out now which I didn't actually realize, and I'm digging it so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGVbWy6zT34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Z6gpq7tdw
It's a non-combat oriented game, the mechanic is you do jumps and sprints and grapple hook around these atmospheric caves. People reviewing it on steam compared it to "Mirror's Edge meets bionic commando", and while I've never played the 3D bionic commando, It doesn't feel as smooth as mirror's edge, partially because the animations are less perfectly polished. If I were to describe it based on my experience so far, it would be "Gone Home, but in a mystical otherworldly cave and with actual gameplay involved and you're a young scandanavian dude looking for his uncle instead of a girl finding out her sister's a lesbian". Alternatively as a description, it feels kind of like the training portions of Dishonored when you get a new skill, but built out into a full game. The storytelling is done through a mix of narrator (You're this dude all grown up, telling the story of searching for your uncle to your daughter) and NPCs speaking. It's super pretty, and the core gameplay feels pretty good, the parts where it shows it's clearly from a small team instead of AAA is in the lack of polish when dealing with cutscenes. They feel a little sloppy, but not really problematically so to me. The gameplay is also actually a little more difficult than it looks in those videos, I assume the gameplay footage is one of the devs playing.

I think this is a fun game, and I would like it to be successful because slower paced games focusing on platforming and exploration have kind of gone out of style lately. People should talk about this game in this thread now --or about how indie games are poo poo or whatever I guess-- I don't know this is my first thread about a specific game not in Games.

surc fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This game looks cool as hell and It's been on the top of my wishlist since it first popped up on Steam. I'm still waiting for a bigger sale which is probably ridiculous, but uh, I am cheap. Does it do a good job of conveying speed/danger when you're grappling around

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It does a pretty good job, but the physics engine isn't striving for hyper-realistic feel like a game like Mirror's Edge did. It's a little floaty because of the grapple mechanic, and the height of your jumps. If you grapple on to a rock that's moving for example, you'll follow it and even though you're picking up momentum from it to jump further, it doesn't particularly feel like you're going faster than if you'd just grappled onto something stationary and were swinging from it. If you sprint and jump (the long jump), you definitely feel like you're zipping along, but at every jump when you reach the zenith you float gently for a second before really getting momentum back downwards from gravity.

Basically, it feels good and consistent within itself, but overall the physics system is a little more "cartoony" than you might expect in order to facilitate the level design/gameplay. Personally I don't mind that because it's more in line with the old school platformers and it feels like a style thing over a poor design thing, but it's definitely not going for the hyper-realism.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I thought this was about gone homo

voted 1

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

My uncle works at Nintendo

surc
Aug 17, 2004

mabels big day posted:

My uncle works at Nintendo

A lot of people's uncles work at nintendo. -Chris Farley

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

this looks good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

my uncle raped me.... lol

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

very nice

surc
Aug 17, 2004

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

spoiler that poo poo, some of us haven't beaten the game.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
nobody gives a gently caress about your uncle

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
you've sold me on it, but if I get burned on this like I have other nontraditional first person adventure games there's gonna be h*ck to pay

seriously though don't buy The Ball. Not even for the Killing Floor character

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
bought this. really good all around, except for the two flat-out pop culture references, which spoiled the gently caress out of the tone of the game

yeah, I double posted to sperg about a Game of Thrones joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
My uncle Shot my other uncle in the foot when they were Young and it's a real rashamon where everybody tells a different convinving Story of what happened and why

• Locked thread