Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm not much of a cook or a photographer, but I decided to enter this ICSA mostly because I wanted to make a veggie cheeseburger for the start of summer anyway, so I figured I might as well take pictures of it.

First, I'll need a bun. A challah bun.

~100 g bread flour
~40 g water
1/4 tsp active dry yeast
~10 g honey
A tiny bit of oil
1 egg
1/8 tsp salt

Mix the water, yeast, and a spoonful of the flour together and let the yeast wake up. Then mix in everything else except the flour and about half the egg. Stick the rest of the egg in the fridge for later, in a covered measuring cup or whatever. Add the flour a bit at a time until it hits a good consistency and then knead it for about five minutes.

Let it rise until doubled. Punch it down, and again knead it for five minutes and let it rise. Then...

...do that to make it pretty.

Let it rise again, then brush on the remaining egg, and bake it at ~350 F / 175 C for about 40ish minutes.

Yum! I've read that round challah is made for Rosh Hashanah, so I hope this isn't accidental blasphemy or something.

Now...

I'll need a "burger." Sorry this isn't vegan, but the bread isn't either, so...

About 1 cup black beans - cooked, rinsed and drained. Pat them dry with a paper towel too, to get rid of excess water.
Diced onion and garlic, to taste
Chili powder, cumin, black pepper, a little salt, and maybe some lemon juice and minced parsley.
1 egg

I didn't measure most of this stuff - this isn't rocket science. Blend everything except the egg in a food processor until it hits a good consistency, then stir in the egg. If it seems a little too runny, you can also add a tablespoon of flour to it.

Splotch out the mixture onto a baking sheet in the appropriate shape. Don't worry if it seems too goopy, it will firm up later. This recipe isn't really meant for a grill, sorry! :( I also chopped up a potato and tossed it with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake the whole lot at ~350 F / 175 C for 30ish minutes, flipping everything halfway through.

This is what you should end up with! I would have used a higher heat to brown the potatoes, but I since I was using olive oil I was afraid of hitting the smoke point.

While all that was baking, I also made some Israeli salad...

...and a sauce, made of horseradish and sriracha.

The burger includes the sauce, two slices of cheddar, lettuce, onion and tomato. Also I threw some kosher dill pickles on the plate. And beer. It is summer now, after all. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Nice! I like that you made the burger veggie instead of making the cheese fake. And that bun looks delicious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I like that we both made special buns for the burgers, and yeah, your challah bun looks tremendous. A horseradish sriracha sauce sounds like it would really clear out the sinuses.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That challah roll, wow!! It looks so simple to make and incredibly delicious.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
The roll turned out great and yeah, it's pretty easy. I made it the night before and wanted to eat it all day the next day. I might try to make it about 15-20% smaller next time though as it was pretty filling - that would have been less of a problem if I hadn't decided to make potatoes also!

• Locked thread