Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

double sulk posted:

GET loving poo poo ON MICHAEL BRADLEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013

Rodatose posted:

here's a fun scenario

Germany beats USA 9-0, meanwhile Portugal and Ghana tie in a modest 1-1 draw

Ah yes, the 2002 scenario.

(we didn't get drubbed but losing to Poland is pretty much the same thing)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Stinky Pit posted:

I can't believe Beckerman gets away with being massively invisible for huge portions of the game. He does little defensively, and his contributions are often the most basic and rudimentary passes, always something safe, uninspired, and generally getting the US nowhere.

Beckerman is in fact good. He does exactly what he needs to and nothing more. He doesn't gently caress up passes because he doesn't do anything but distribute. He stays where he needs to be and he actually puts in decent tackles. He is a solidly decent player and one of his strengths is he knows that. Beckerman despite all your ire is like the 2nd chillest and cool dude on the USMNT after Howard. You can continue to keep hating on him because of his hair (despite a loving argentinian jedi and brazilian super saiyans trotting about) if you please but your hatred is misplaced and stupid.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 23, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I didn't think Bradley played badly. He had some bad moments and he definitely lost some steam as the game went on. He was in on most of the attacks and had some nice linkups with Dempsey even if they didn't pan out. Even if you think he is terrible, who is going to take his place? I will fully agree that he has not been as good as he is capable of being in WC so far.

edit: However, speaking of ire, I will punch Cameron in the throat if I ever meet him, I swear it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Seltzer posted:

Beckerman is in fact good. He does exactly what he needs to and nothing more. He doesn't gently caress up passes because he doesn't do anything but distribute. He stays where he needs to be and he actually puts in decent tackles. He is a solidly decent player and one of his strengths is he knows that. Beckerman despite all your ire is like the 2nd chillest and cool dude on the USMNT after Howard. You can continue to keep hating on him because of his hair (despite loving an argentinian jedi and brazilian super saiyans trotting about) if you please but your hatred is misplaced and stupid.

Yep. Beckerman is literally Mr. Dependable. It's rare to find any situation in the last year where a misplay by him led to a goal or good chance. He's a good, solid, knowledgeable guy with patience on the ball.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I honestly kind of want the US to lose their third game and then advance on a draw anyway, because I think that would be funny, probably the funniest possible Group G scenario outside of Germany somehow getting knocked out

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013

Numlock posted:

Goddammit something evil awoke in me and now I actually care about flopball and I'm mad as hell about this game.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I honestly kind of want the US to lose their third game and then advance on a draw anyway, because I think that would be funny, probably the funniest possible Group G scenario outside of Germany somehow getting knocked out

It would be pretty funny and I'm pretty sure my nerves wouldn't take it.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

Now here's a man who understands what football is all about. :whatup:

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Let me be clear - Bradley has the ability to be good, he just needs to settle down and stop playing like a dickhead.

I'm not privy to Klinsmans instructions so I don't know if some of his passes are his fault or just low chancers that's he's told to take, but he's getting dispossessed at an alarming rate and in spots where he really shouldn't be. I was willing to blame his teammates for the first 25 minutes of Ghana, but its clear he's a bit goofed up right now.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Who do you even replace Bradley with? I feel like he is a liability at times, but probably one of the few people you have for linkup play.

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

i went to a bar to watch the england italy game and there was a very drunk girl who was an england fan but the only player she was familiar with was rooney, of whom she was a big fan.

Oh thanks for reminding me, I really should watch England-Costa Rica at this English food shop where I watched USA-Ghana in 2010, should be fun. :v:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

on behalf of america sorry for all the bad posters, thread.

go, us and germany.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Bradley is so far beyond most everyone on the USMNT side beyond Dempsey and Howard that even a struggling Bradley is better than no Bradley. He was a beast in WC qualifying and a beast in friendlies recently, and he's picking it up. You don't remove Muller because he sucked against Ghana. You don't remove Bradley because he sucked against Portugal.

Except he sucked against Ghana too. he's not very good and people here are saying that he wanted time to play, well if he wasn't anything more than average at best he'd be getting time at Roma and wouldn't have to come to the shitfest that is the MLS

maybe he's good on the regular stage but there's been absolutely nothing impressive about him this WC

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

unlawfulsoup posted:

Who do you even replace Bradley with? I feel like he is a liability at times, but probably one of the few people you have for linkup play.

He needs to play better or understand his current limitations and reflect that in his play. Or the team needs to go through Jones, who is more than willing to play that role (hence Klinsman brining beckerman to not have Bradley and Jones both as DMs) and seems up for it at the moment.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

Um Americans don't bother with soccer so we don't replace him with anyone. What we have on the pitch is what we get.,

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

double sulk posted:

Except he sucked against Ghana too. he's not very good and people here are saying that he wanted time to play, well if he wasn't anything more than average at best he'd be getting time at Roma and wouldn't have to come to the shitfest that is the MLS

maybe he's good on the regular stage but there's been absolutely nothing impressive about him this WC

It happens. It's sad that many Spanish player sucked too. Meanwhile Costa Rica is playing 10 levels above their pay grade. Luckily for us it's not a single elimination tournament and we got enough results in games 1 and 2 for game three to be relevant. I wouldn't be surprised if Spain annihilate their opponent tomorrow with their usual flare. I also wouldn't be surprised to see England dominate. I similarly expect Bradley to up his play against Germany. If not, not much we can do. You simply have to allow your stars to perform and if they don't, particularly against talented opponents, you'll lose either way.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

double sulk posted:

shut the gently caress up sulk

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013

Stinky Pit posted:

That game was great, watched it with a very positive crowd at the local BWW, couldn't help but laugh when the equalizer went in, but my heart goes out to my boy Suqit.

For what its worth I thought Bradley was fine, he fluffed a chance and he made a terrible error but all the complaints about him in defense seem weird to me. The entire US team was incredibly slow and often unwilling to press in defense and seemed way more focused on maintaining position not pressuring for the ball, so I'm not surprised Bradley wasn't rushing out to tackle people. He was still instrumental literally any time the US was moving forward and heads and shoulders above much of the team.

You'd be crazy to want him benched.

Yeah, Bradley was clearly gassed at the end (as were others). He's definitely been below his best here but people should cool it on the hysterics, he was decent at least in Serie A and one of our best players in 2010.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

whats so loving irritating about bradley tonight was not only that he played shittily it was that we have seen him play really well in the past

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It happens. It's sad that many Spanish player sucked too. Meanwhile Costa Rica is playing 10 levels above their pay grade. Luckily for us it's not a single elimination tournament and we got enough results in games 1 and 2 for game three to be relevant. I wouldn't be surprised if Spain annihilate their opponent tomorrow with their usual flare. I also wouldn't be surprised to see England dominate. I similarly expect Bradley to up his play against Germany. If not, not much we can do. You simply have to allow your stars to perform and if they don't, particularly against talented opponents, you'll lose either way.

Knowing Spain and England, they will make bozos of me, but still I am expecting both teams to end on a win.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jota posted:

shut the gently caress up sulk

Something we can all agree on.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Just watched the game on replay, which I can do because I live in a first world country. Sad we didn't win against a bunch of talentless garbagemen like Portugal. Most of the team looked great, except for Bradley who was wasteful. Johnson was fantastic. Glad Jozy's not playing.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

Just watched the game on replay, which I can do because I live in a first world country. Sad we didn't win against a bunch of talentless garbagemen like Portugal. Most of the team looked great, except for Bradley who was wasteful. Johnson was fantastic. Glad Jozy's not playing.

You lost 2-2

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Motherfucker I thought I changed that

E: hey I did, suck my dick

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

Motherfucker I thought I changed that

E: hey I did, suck my dick

I feel duped

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The US are better at football than Portugal

Lol

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

unlawfulsoup posted:

richard sherman

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

El Hefe posted:

The US are better at football than Portugal

Lol

Here's the crazy part: both countries are better at football than Venezuela.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Here's the crazy part: both countries are better at football than Venezuela.

But Venezuela is better at baseball op.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

It is in every other sport.

I don't think that's true but fwiw I think rugby union has the best method of timekeeping. There's an official in the stands who keeps time to ensure that a half has at least forty minutes of playing time, and will sound the 'hooter' when that's up. However, rather than the game ending immediately it's merely a signal to the ref that he ought to end the game at the next natural break in play, like when the ball goes dead. I've seen games go for many minutes after that because one team has retained the ball and kept it in play.

I prefer the rules of thumb of rugby and soccer to the strict interpretations of other sports (including my primary sport, Australian football) because I think the latter demands an unsustainable level of precision. As much as I love American football I think bringing a measuring tape onto the field to determine first down is going overboard. And how precise should you be? I'd rather just have a rule of thumb like giving the benefit of any doubt to the offence.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

cheese posted:

Or when one team is up by 3 with 2 minutes left and the ball. Just saying.

In American football the game is decided when one team is up by three and starts a drive with two minutes left. It's not like soccer where the ball changes hands all the time and one good counter is all it takes.

Really conservative play in soccer drives me crazy cause I watch 10 American football games for every soccer game and conservative play in soccer is much less reliable than in American football. That's not to say that it's not effective or smart, just that I perceive it that way, and a lot of other Americans do too.

In case I'm not being clear, this is our problem, not the game's problem. I'm just trying to clarify why so many casual soccer fans in 'Murrica think that way.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 23, 2014

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

What a kick in the dick.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

But Venezuela is better at baseball op.

The most alpha of sports.

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013
I'm pretty sure he was screened, but still the reaction of the keeper to Jones's shot was :effort: made flesh.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Oh No My Equity posted:

I'm pretty sure he was screened, but still the reaction of the keeper to Jones's shot was :effort: made flesh.

He was totally screened and it was one of those curling shots that wasn't even on frame when it came off his boot. He never had a chance with the screen and might not have gotten it had he been sighted.

On that note how does a shot that is neither on the box nor initially on target factor into Jones' SiBoT rating for the game?

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is a serious post, someone more familiar with football help me out here:

For the record there's no way I'd bench Bradley. That seems dumb. But am I mistaken that he turned the ball over a fuckload and helped provide Portugal with a ton of opportunities? For the record I'm not putting it all on his shoulders; in my admittedly inexperienced eyes, the whole team had loving stupid plays. But Bradley is the one I noticed most in a negative sense. I could be totally wrong, which is why I'm asking. I'd like to get more knowledgeable about football and would appreciate more nuanced insight if anyone wants to bother. Thanks. :)

wtf is a 'turnover'. I keep seeing this term.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

thehandtruck posted:

Goalieless-goal, Bradley has the volley and can't put it anywhere except right at the defender? Six turnovers solely from him? He got caught ball-watching half the game and others had to pick up his slack. If you think he played well or even acceptable you are a loving idiot.

Amazing game overall though, can't wait to see the outcome of the group.

TURNOVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When one player unintentionally gives the ball to the other team?

• Locked thread