Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010
For this rendition of ICSA, I'm submitting something slightly different from the previous entrants.
While the prohibition against meat and milk is one of the better known parts of kosher culture, this factoid is followed closely by the the prohibition against pork products. In this challenge, I have elected to serve a pair of products normally off limits due to their porcine production - St. Louis style barbecue (noted for its use of pork steaks and ribs in sauce), and a classic accompaniment of Pork and Beans, with a nod to the St. Louis tradition of 'snoots', the nose and cheek skin of the pig.

As this is intended to be a Kosher challenge, I'll be listing kosher related items as they come up.

Ingredients:

For the sauce:

1 large onion, chopped

28 oz of chopped or crushed tomatoes (Our first Kosher Issue item! Canned vegetables need supervision, even for uncooked items. Don't worry, most brands are under supervision)
5.5 oz of tomato paste (Needs supervision, but most brands are supervised)

1 cup of red wine vinegar

3/4 cup of beer

1/2 cup of cider vinegar (Vinegars of all kinds need to be supervised, but don't fret - Heinz is under supervision in most areas)

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar or maple syrup (Maple lovers beware, some syrups have lard added to prevent boilover during the cooking process)

1/2 cup olive oil

4 tbsp prepared yellow mustard (Needs supervision, but most major brands are supervised)

Spices:

Chopped Garlic
Ground nutmeg
Ground allspice
Cayenne pepper/Hot Sauce
Bay Leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste

In attempting to uncover an authentic recipe for a St. Louis style barbecue sauce, I found that most 'sauces' were variations on "add some other preexisting sauces together and add beer, simmer". Rather than taking the easy out, I elected to put together a simple sauce that wouldn't overpower the meat.

For this reason, I decided to whip up a ketchup style sauce to use as a base for the barbecue sauce. It ended up being a variation of Michael Smith's excellent version, but if you're lazy you could just throw everything into the pot and go.

Add the red wine, sugar, tomatoes and paste, onion, olive oil, and garlic into a decent sized saucepan. Add in bay leaves, nutmeg, and allspice, along with salt and pepper.

Over medium heat, allow the mixture to reduce by half, and then let cool.

Once cool, use an immersion blender or food processor to blend the mixture until smooth.

Take 2.5 cups for the barbecue sauce, and store the remainder in an airtight container.

Add the 'ketchup' into a saucepan with the remainder of the ingredients (cider vinegar, brown sugar/maple syrup, mustard, cayenne pepper/hot sauce), and bring to a simmer.

For the beer, I elected to go with a known quantity, your mileage may vary. Add the beer as the mixture is heating up, it will be thin, but not watery.

Before we go further, let's talk meat.

As a substitution for the pork in the recipes, I elected to use veal steaks and ribs for the grilled portion, and supplemented the beans side dish with some smoked meat (and a couple of additional veal ribs). Unfortunately, smoked veal was unavailable as a sliced additive to represent the 'snoots', so instead I procured some thinly sliced beef fry.

To prepare the meat, I used a dusting of salt, pepper and dried garlic, before tossing the items on the grill

The steaks were grilled on a medium heat, for about 90 seconds per turn.

The ribs were left at a lower temperature, for around 20 minutes, turned occasionally. As each piece neared completion, it was added into the sauce bath pictured above.

For the Beans:

4 cups of beans (I used Navy beans, soaked for several hours and then boiled)

1 onion (chopped)

1.5 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup maple syrup

1 cup molasses

Spices:

Savoury
Dry mustard
Salt and Pepper

I used the smoked meat and a pair of ribs kept from the barbecue, and added the prepared beans into a heated crockpot along with the rest of the items, and allowed it to sit for 4.5 hours.

While waiting, a quick application to the pan for the beef fry produces an acceptable alternative to serve with the beans.

While the food is not quite done, we can begin preparing a salad.

Thankfully, the advent of shipping and kosher awareness has made it easy to procure pre-checked veg -

DAMMIT

Sometime later, [after some strenuous checking], we have the final result!

All in all, this was an interesting meal - the veal held up well to the sauce, and even complimented the beans and meat - but the beans ended up thinner than I was expecting, possibly due to adding extra water to the beans during the early part of the process. Next time I'll have to draw some of the water off beforehand.

ThCawdor fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Looks delicious, would eat!

• Locked thread