Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
So I am a new graduate, getting my 2.1 BA (Hons) in Theatre this summer (yeah, I know, don't ask an 18 year old to pick a decent degree subject) from a respected UK University.

Financially, I live relatively frugally in an expensive-as-gently caress city (London), and I have a £14k inheritance that can go towards easing me into work, whether that's for fees for an MA, living expenses if I have to do an unpaid internship to get where I wanna be, or just an emergency fund if I am low-earning for a while. I don't have debt other than student debt, I don't run a car, and my sole expensive habit is smoking, which I am cutting down on (I don't drink alcohol). My fiance is a student, so has no income besides loans that just about pay his living expenses, so he's money-neutral.

About me - I'm bipolar (type II), medicated and well-functioning but it has a continuing mild-to-moderate effect on my daily life. Specifically, I actually use the spoon theory thing because I do seem to have less mental/emotional energy or units of cope than other people, mostly because it takes a lot of cope to continue to be functional and pleasant to be around, which I feel are important things for a job. In particular, I can't handle very high-stress environments, and my health suffers significantly if I don't get enough downtime and sleep. I can totally power through and work like a maniac to get something done, but I have corresponding days of uselessness afterwards when my health catches up to it and decides to retaliate.

I currently live in a house I part-own through inheritance; my parents own the other 2/3rds and I handle the renters, who are currently my fiance, a friend and her ex, who is moving out in a month. I don't make anything on the house, but I don't pay rent either.

My career plans were always 'I'm totally gonna be an actor!' so yeah. Lately I have wised up, realised I like having a roof over my head and that I cannot deal with the stress of that life, so I'm kinda casting around for somewhere to go career-wise.

Events is an area that interests me, but entry into that field seems to be by way of internships - I can do it, but I'm signing up to waste a lot of the 14k if it's not valuable to me career-wise.

In terms of what I want from a career - I'm creative, I like to plan and organize things, I can be pretty good with people when I want to be, and I have had a lot of success leading people and managing projects in the past when I worked nonprofit in my gap year.

Primarily, though, I want to do something that pays the bills so I can stay sane, non-stressed and have time for my friends and creative hobbies. I write, and while I would like to get published I'm counting it as a hobby because no way am I relying on that. However, if I have the option to work part-time to really make a go of the writing thing on the side, I would be all over that poo poo.

Prospects - atm, a couple of terribly paid internships in Events I've applied for, in the region of £250-300 per week. I also have a friend who says she may be able to get me a job as a travel agent which is £18k plus commission, which works out pretty well for her.

I guess what I'm asking is, do my priorities and so on make sense, and is there a better way to figure out what career you should go for than just trying a bunch of poo poo and seeing what you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Trying a bunch of poo poo and seeing what you like is the way to do things.

I'm quitting my job at the end of the year to write full-time; it's something I started as a hobby while working full-time at my day job. If you have any questions on that front feel free to PM me or join us over in the self-publishing thread.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Not sure how they do things in the UK, but maybe get in with a Temp Agency and do some Temp/Term/Contract stuff, see if there is something you like and try to build up experience and learn about things on your own time to help you advance.

Pretty much how I'm trying to break into the Finance business with an Engineering degree.

Tree squid
Apr 6, 2011

moana posted:

Trying a bunch of poo poo and seeing what you like is the way to do things.

This essentially, although you asked specifically for ideas that are not this. Any money you put down from that inheritance on sniffing out a career you might enjoy is a worthy investment. You got an idea your interested in already, if a couple months in you aren't digging it, so what, you'll have gained more knowledge into maybe some sub-set of that job that might tickle your fancy, and/or have maybe made some new friends along the way that could steer you in another direction. Your lucky to be in a position where you have little overhead to worry about, and a stack of cash to invest on testing the waters out, a lot of people would sure like to be in that position, including myself. Go forth with the Events idea, the doors of knowledge and opportunity will be closed until you take the first step in any direction, and everyday you don't take a step will be one less day you have to start.

Also, i'd bet my money on travel agents being a dying breed with travel sites and all, but at the same time you got the same amount of potential in that path to have your eyes opened to new ideas too.

And congrats moana, hell yeah and may the force be with you on that.

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
Thanks for the advice, and yeah, I know I am in a drat lucky situation what with being born related to people with money who choose to share it to get me started.

Travel agent seems to be successful, but they are mostly there for the ever-lucrative market of people who can't be arsed/are too busy to sort things out themselves, and there's a route into events via their business sector (arranging conferences in swanky foreign hotels etc) so I think I may go for it.

Guess I figured I'd ask since reading this subforum always gives me the impression you got a lot of goons who know their stuff careers and finance-wise.

Also will check out self-publishing, and congrats on getting to fulltime writerhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Wrong thread

• Locked thread