Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

This is Ginnie fka Janie, approximately 4 year old something mix rescued from a socal shelter

6 weeks ago on death row

Last month @ vet visit with bronchitis

The shelter that took her in as a stray was going to euthanize her for space after 7 days, so I agreed to foster her to save her life. I've had her for 6 weeks at my house, under lock and key from any testicles, and she's been undergoing the usual post-shelter treatments for bronchitis as well as happy tail. I took her in for a checkup yesterday after her medications had run their course to see about getting her spayed so she can be adopted out, and found out she's pregnant instead and too far along to humanely abort. In retrospect, she's gained 5-10 lbs in a month and her nipples are way bigger than before and they were already a little saggy and stretched out from previous litter(s). I told the rescue I'm fostering her for and they're going to help me out through this which I did not sign up for but frankly I'm excited as heck I love puppies and their breath! :kimchi:

Other than food and giving kisses, she loves destroying plush toys and hiding them in the corner, wiggling her butt and snorting and meeting every dog and person she can find. She also thinks she's a lap dog and makes a very good copilot.

I think she's going to be a very proud good momma. She kisses my other dogs and foster dog she's only known a month.

No idea who the Harry Pitter is, some other stray I can only assume. Pretty excited to see what they come out like. I will be finding homes responsibly for them through a local rescue after they're ready to go. Please join me on this adventure! PS: my parents are both veterinarians so I can always get advice from a professional, this is just for fun and more experiential advice! I've helped birth and raise pups as a kid in the past but never alone as an adult, but I have a wife and housemates to help, and two pups of my own. I bought a plastic kiddie pool for her today.

Here's her butt temperature chart I just started to keep today to try to figure out when to expect the mutts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P8KS8-LV0rbNinpROpsc9g3Ag9MM0muhyk3rLItcZCI/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the x-rays the vet just took:

The doc estimated she's not due for at least 10 days cuz the puppies are still faced backwards I guess not head first. He counted at least 5 skulls, possibly 6 or 7 depending on how many spines you can see and can't really differentiate some of the circular skulls :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I see at least 6 skulls and there's plenty of room for more to be hiding. "Head down" isn't really a big thing in dogs as far as predicting due dates, as it is normal for some to be born backwards, but if you can see them on x-rays it should definitely be less than 2 weeks. I would guess they'll come sooner rather than later since they are so well defined on the x-rays, but without ultrasound measurements or breeding dates it's hard to get much more specific. Will you be taking her temperature each day to catch the start of labor?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Yeah check it out, I've got a SPREADSHEET with a GRAPH of her butt temperatures.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P8KS8-LV0rbNinpROpsc9g3Ag9MM0muhyk3rLItcZCI/edit?usp=sharing

So far she's not acting any differently except maybe she's gotten more kissy in the past week or so. And she's becoming more barrel shaped.

Yeah I was trying to decipher if I could see the puppies' pelvic bones because apparently that means they're 51-55 days old, but I couldn't really tell. I'm hoping they don't come in the middle of the week and wait for a weekend.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That's one delightfully derpy dog face.

Hope it goes well. One thing though: It's never too late for most rescues to "humanely" abort litters. They do it with newborn pups that go full term pretty frequently around here. Sounds like a decent humane society if they're not doing that.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's one delightfully derpy dog face.

Hope it goes well. One thing though: It's never too late for most rescues to "humanely" abort litters. They do it with newborn pups that go full term pretty frequently around here. Sounds like a decent humane society if they're not doing that.

My father works for a shelter so he pretty much said that, but the regular vet clinic(s) I took her too didn't even suggest a late spay, and the rescue also was not for it, and I tend to agree cuz I just don't want to kill puppies that could "probably live outside her if they were aborted now", quoth the vet. There's an adopter for this mama, so I don't think she wanted to have the more risky spay done either, my mom said (also a vet) there's much more risk of blood vessels bleeding out and stuff.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I must say, despite not being a french bulldog or made of pizza, there is a remarkable similarity between your avatar and your foster girl. She's adorable, good luck with the birth, post lots of pictures!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Puppies really can only live outside mom if they're within 1-2 days of being born. Premature born pups don't live like premature people do because vets don't have the training, equipment, or research in premature management that human medicine has.

"Spayborts" though, as they are called, are controversial among vets (much more so among lay people) - some refuse to perform abortions on ethical and moral grounds, some feel that bringing another 4-10 puppies into a society with animal overcrowding is wrong on ethical and moral grounds. It is very humane for the puppies luckily, as they are anesthetized and without functioning metabolisms they don't clear anesthetic agents, and so as long as they are left within the uterus and removed all together, they simply don't wake up. On the mom though, it is more risky for exactly the reasons you posted. Since you are a foster though, it is all the shelter's decision anyway.

I think I can see 8 in there.

I am rather intrigued about her conception date though. She got knocked up either right before being admitted, or, since sometimes shelter animals "interact" with one another, I'm wondering if something could've happened there.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Haha, well they're both huge headed (megalocephalic?) or whatever breeds, so makes sense. Boy Ginnie would love some pizza, if there ever was a pizza dog, she'd be one.

She's got a voracious appetite. I'm feeding her 2 cups of puppy food twice a day but she still roots around for edible sticks outside. Should I feed her more? I'm not sure she'd ever stop if I free-fed.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Puppies really can only live outside mom if they're within 1-2 days of being born. Premature born pups don't live like premature people do because vets don't have the training, equipment, or research in premature management that human medicine has.

"Spayborts" though, as they are called, are controversial among vets (much more so among lay people) - some refuse to perform abortions on ethical and moral grounds, some feel that bringing another 4-10 puppies into a society with animal overcrowding is wrong on ethical and moral grounds. It is very humane for the puppies luckily, as they are anesthetized and without functioning metabolisms they don't clear anesthetic agents, and so as long as they are left within the uterus and removed all together, they simply don't wake up. On the mom though, it is more risky for exactly the reasons you posted. Since you are a foster though, it is all the shelter's decision anyway.

I think I can see 8 in there.

I am rather intrigued about her conception date though. She got knocked up either right before being admitted, or, since sometimes shelter animals "interact" with one another, I'm wondering if something could've happened there.

Ah that is not the impression I got from the ultrasounding doctor, but it is good to know that its humane for them.

I can totally see both sides of the argument.
She's been out of shelter custody/care since May ~17th I think? Shelter doesn't give a crap anyway, they're notoriously terrible, she's property of a nonprofit rescue now just fyi, but yeah it's not my decision and they decided it's too risky.

OMG you see 8?! :aaa: I'd be really interested in a highlighted image of them if you can.
PS: I'll need more names if there's 8 of them. Someone already said if there's 7 not 6 that 7th one has to be named Voldemort.

As far as I know she would not have been able to interact with an intact male in the shelter much less mate - she was kenneled with another female, and this shelter doesn't really socialize or test or advertise or sometimes even allow volunteers to do so, so I think her conception has to have been before or on May 7th when she was brought in to the facility. I can only hope the other stray was as cute as her!

VV Yeah see above I think it's unlikely. There's a prospect adopter for this lady along with another older rescue boxer she just had to arrange transportation a few states over, post weaning puppies and spay of course. I contacted a local rescue already about the puppies and they were quick to state they would be happy to help, so I'm not very worried. At least I know many folks who think Ginnie is just the cutest I don't think finding homes for Mini-Ginnies will be a problem. My father insisted for every puppy we bring in an adult dog is put to sleep in the shelter, supply and demand, but I really don't think it's that simple. Some people simply never would have adopted an adult dog, many people despite all the work and warnings still want cute puppies. And personally I tried to bring in adult pits so many times before I settled for a puppy, because they were already set in their ways and prey driven and could not be trusted around my cats, sometimes it's only safe to adopt and raise a puppy around cats. My 1 year old pit gives them enough chase and I've had her since 6 months. I'd not even find an adopter for Ginny at this point if she wasn't fixated on cats.

To add more picture content til I get home from work later, this is how skinny she was in the shelter:

She was about 45 lbs after I got some food in her, she's 55 lbs about 5 weeks later and barrel shaped:

With my other foster dog (N)

I really hope the puppies are okay considering her conditions early on. I think her face is all red in that picture from being picked on and bitten by other dogs - she is very passive as long as food/toys are not present.

Also she's lactating I can't tell if it's colostrum or not though

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 26, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
You'd think that any decent shelter would know to segregate any females in estrus from any intact males though, especially since segregation should be practiced anyway until things like disease and aggression can be screened for. As for late-term dog abortion, I think it can be humane, especially if the puppies have poor adoption prospects or providing adequate vet care for the mother and puppies is unrealistic.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
SPaybort.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It's less seeing the skulls clearly and more that on the lateral (the one you put the numbers on going up to 6) the area just to the left of the ones furthest left looks like it has some skeletal structures that I can't really connect to the easily seen skulls. With all the ingesta going on and the size of the area that is suspicious, two could fit in there.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Dang that would be exciting. If there's 8 puppies I guess I'll name the ones after the 6 names of Ginnie and Harry Potter's children Voldemort and Ginnie Jr.

I got excited today cuz her temperature was 98.5 around noon today, normally it's 99.1-100 all day, but it was 100.0 degrees this evening so.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, usually they don't make milk super early.

Make sure you have a good mop.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Temp still 100 but I'm probably going to work from home tomorrow just in case it drops back down below 99 tomorrow. OK her belly used to be half the width of her ribcage now her belly sticks out further than her ribs I swear it wasn't this big like even 3 day ago, dem puppeez...

E: I'M SORRY about giant pic I posted from my phone in Awful app.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 27, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
holy poo poo tables.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Are you gonna keep one or two or six?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Are you gonna keep one or two or six?

I already have 2 dogs and 2 cats but bein real here if I fall in love with one who is especially good with my cats and dogs then I will probably keep them.

I'm staying and working from home today cuz that temp dip to 98.5 yesterday got me all excited. So far she seems normal, still eating like a piggy, she's getting rounder by the hour I swear, and no nesting.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 27, 2014

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Cant wait to see lots of squirmy puppy pics! Keep us updated!

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
Puppy report required.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

No puppies yet! She's getting fatter every day i cannot believe she went from emaciated to barrel-shaped so quickly. Temp is stable, I felt a puppy kick my hand once last week :3::3::3:
I've given her a kiddy pool full of old blankets, hello kitty sheets, and towels and she likes to drag the comforter out of it at night.
She never sits still unless eating and even then keeps wagging and wiggling. I wonder how she's going to behave during labor!

e: Because we all care about pictures

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 30, 2014

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Please don't call one Fred, it only ends in anguish.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

God that dog has nipples the size of a cow's.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Yeah she must've had many litters before this one. She's estimated to be 3-5 years old and nothing else is known about her, stray with no identification.

No worries I would never name one fred, not only for the obvious reasons but because my first family boxer was named Fred when i was a kid and he died.

No puppies yet. Her temp has been stable, she didn't seem to want to eat an afternoon snack which was weird but then she ate it around 6pm.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

She's like "This will do." :kimchi:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Dog status: Fat with babies

She's at least 8 weeks today, which means literally any day now. Tracking her temp, nothing evident yet

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 1, 2014

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
She's getting big, I am very excited for puppy time.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

She's getting big, I am very excited for puppy time.

You're getting excited, jeez I cannot wait! I felt a very squirmy pup flop around against my palm this afternoon :kimchi:
Her temp seems to be dropping a little lower than it normally does around dinner time, not below 99 yet but i'll check her later.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I teach English in Korea and used a picture of a bunch of week old pibble babies to practice counting. one kid asked "Puppy, baby, why?" Korean learners confuse what and why

I taught them "potato" :kimchi:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I got home from work and she was kenneled and she had this dried yellow stuff on her side:

It doesn't really smell like pee or anything and it doesnt appear to be coming from her vag, i dont see it on her crate bedding at all... she's never had an accident in her crate at all, nothing is coming out of her visibly, she has not had a temp drop. I dunno!?

Tldr probably pee

E: my mom guesses there's no room left for her bladder with the puppies so she can't holds it for a few hours during the day anymore. Poor baby! Cross your fingers she waits til Saturday now, I don't need to be dealing with the puppies when my own dogs are shivering in their thunder shirts Friday night.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 3, 2014

catamar
May 23, 2008
The puppies are tunneling their way out.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
I'm confused; why aren't we naming one Fred? My dad's rottie is Fred. He was supposed to be Frank, damnit!

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

If they are born tomorrow you should name the puppies cheesy 4th of July things like Freedom, Firework, and most importantly, 'Murricah! (exclamation point always included) Make it a male and his name can be Murray for short.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

cryingscarf posted:

If they are born tomorrow you should name the puppies cheesy 4th of July things like Freedom, Firework, and most importantly, 'Murricah! (exclamation point always included) Make it a male and his name can be Murray for short.

Ugghh that completely fucks with my naming scheme, but it would probably be good for puppy PR.....
ffffff :argh:

OKAY HER TEMPERATURE DROPPED FROM 100 DEGREES AT 10PM LAST NIGHT, NORMAL, TO 98.3 DEGREES THIS MORNING I TOOK IT TWICE TO BE SURE!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I bet she appreciated you taking it twice.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I bet she appreciated you taking it twice.

I used lube! She doesn't care much anyway.

EDIT: Allright if I'm going with the cheesy 4th of july idea, I NEED NAME SUGGESTIONS. Family friendly. 5-8 names.
:911: :patriot: :gop:

So far I will probably choose from:
- Freedom
- Liberty
- Justice
- Independence (Indy)
-Star
-Stripe
-Firecracker
-Doodle/Yankee doodle
Sparkler
July(Julie)
Rocket
Flare/Flair
Roman (Roman Candles)
Glory
Eagle

Maybes:
Brave
Patriot
America? (Mary?)

????

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 4, 2014

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

I'm going to be stalking this thread all day! :f5:

Lots of pictures will be required.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

pizzadog posted:

EDIT: Allright if I'm going with the cheesy 4th of july idea, I NEED NAME SUGGESTIONS. Family friendly. 5-8 names.
:911: :patriot: :gop:

OMG yessss.

- If there is one that is extra energetic name it Firecracker.
- Yankee Doodle (Doodle or Dood for short) since its a patriotic songgg
- Star, is pretty straightforward
- Name it after notable people who signed the Declaration of Independence: for example Jefferson and Franklin
- July because why not.
- If you have two pups that look similar you can call them Liberty and Bell. Hahhhhh get it?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Eagle
Merrica
Patriot

gently caress yeah merrica :911:

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

pizzadog posted:

So far: