Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

This is Ginnie fka Janie, approximately 4 year old something mix rescued from a socal shelter

6 weeks ago on death row

Last month @ vet visit with bronchitis

The shelter that took her in as a stray was going to euthanize her for space after 7 days, so I agreed to foster her to save her life. I've had her for 6 weeks at my house, under lock and key from any testicles, and she's been undergoing the usual post-shelter treatments for bronchitis as well as happy tail. I took her in for a checkup yesterday after her medications had run their course to see about getting her spayed so she can be adopted out, and found out she's pregnant instead and too far along to humanely abort. In retrospect, she's gained 5-10 lbs in a month and her nipples are way bigger than before and they were already a little saggy and stretched out from previous litter(s). I told the rescue I'm fostering her for and they're going to help me out through this which I did not sign up for but frankly I'm excited as heck I love puppies and their breath! :kimchi:

Other than food and giving kisses, she loves destroying plush toys and hiding them in the corner, wiggling her butt and snorting and meeting every dog and person she can find. She also thinks she's a lap dog and makes a very good copilot.

I think she's going to be a very proud good momma. She kisses my other dogs and foster dog she's only known a month.

No idea who the Harry Pitter is, some other stray I can only assume. Pretty excited to see what they come out like. I will be finding homes responsibly for them through a local rescue after they're ready to go. Please join me on this adventure! PS: my parents are both veterinarians so I can always get advice from a professional, this is just for fun and more experiential advice! I've helped birth and raise pups as a kid in the past but never alone as an adult, but I have a wife and housemates to help, and two pups of my own. I bought a plastic kiddie pool for her today.

Here's her butt temperature chart I just started to keep today to try to figure out when to expect the mutts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P8KS8-LV0rbNinpROpsc9g3Ag9MM0muhyk3rLItcZCI/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the x-rays the vet just took:

The doc estimated she's not due for at least 10 days cuz the puppies are still faced backwards I guess not head first. He counted at least 5 skulls, possibly 6 or 7 depending on how many spines you can see and can't really differentiate some of the circular skulls :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Yeah check it out, I've got a SPREADSHEET with a GRAPH of her butt temperatures.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P8KS8-LV0rbNinpROpsc9g3Ag9MM0muhyk3rLItcZCI/edit?usp=sharing

So far she's not acting any differently except maybe she's gotten more kissy in the past week or so. And she's becoming more barrel shaped.

Yeah I was trying to decipher if I could see the puppies' pelvic bones because apparently that means they're 51-55 days old, but I couldn't really tell. I'm hoping they don't come in the middle of the week and wait for a weekend.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That's one delightfully derpy dog face.

Hope it goes well. One thing though: It's never too late for most rescues to "humanely" abort litters. They do it with newborn pups that go full term pretty frequently around here. Sounds like a decent humane society if they're not doing that.

My father works for a shelter so he pretty much said that, but the regular vet clinic(s) I took her too didn't even suggest a late spay, and the rescue also was not for it, and I tend to agree cuz I just don't want to kill puppies that could "probably live outside her if they were aborted now", quoth the vet. There's an adopter for this mama, so I don't think she wanted to have the more risky spay done either, my mom said (also a vet) there's much more risk of blood vessels bleeding out and stuff.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Haha, well they're both huge headed (megalocephalic?) or whatever breeds, so makes sense. Boy Ginnie would love some pizza, if there ever was a pizza dog, she'd be one.

She's got a voracious appetite. I'm feeding her 2 cups of puppy food twice a day but she still roots around for edible sticks outside. Should I feed her more? I'm not sure she'd ever stop if I free-fed.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Puppies really can only live outside mom if they're within 1-2 days of being born. Premature born pups don't live like premature people do because vets don't have the training, equipment, or research in premature management that human medicine has.

"Spayborts" though, as they are called, are controversial among vets (much more so among lay people) - some refuse to perform abortions on ethical and moral grounds, some feel that bringing another 4-10 puppies into a society with animal overcrowding is wrong on ethical and moral grounds. It is very humane for the puppies luckily, as they are anesthetized and without functioning metabolisms they don't clear anesthetic agents, and so as long as they are left within the uterus and removed all together, they simply don't wake up. On the mom though, it is more risky for exactly the reasons you posted. Since you are a foster though, it is all the shelter's decision anyway.

I think I can see 8 in there.

I am rather intrigued about her conception date though. She got knocked up either right before being admitted, or, since sometimes shelter animals "interact" with one another, I'm wondering if something could've happened there.

Ah that is not the impression I got from the ultrasounding doctor, but it is good to know that its humane for them.

I can totally see both sides of the argument.
She's been out of shelter custody/care since May ~17th I think? Shelter doesn't give a crap anyway, they're notoriously terrible, she's property of a nonprofit rescue now just fyi, but yeah it's not my decision and they decided it's too risky.

OMG you see 8?! :aaa: I'd be really interested in a highlighted image of them if you can.
PS: I'll need more names if there's 8 of them. Someone already said if there's 7 not 6 that 7th one has to be named Voldemort.

As far as I know she would not have been able to interact with an intact male in the shelter much less mate - she was kenneled with another female, and this shelter doesn't really socialize or test or advertise or sometimes even allow volunteers to do so, so I think her conception has to have been before or on May 7th when she was brought in to the facility. I can only hope the other stray was as cute as her!

VV Yeah see above I think it's unlikely. There's a prospect adopter for this lady along with another older rescue boxer she just had to arrange transportation a few states over, post weaning puppies and spay of course. I contacted a local rescue already about the puppies and they were quick to state they would be happy to help, so I'm not very worried. At least I know many folks who think Ginnie is just the cutest I don't think finding homes for Mini-Ginnies will be a problem. My father insisted for every puppy we bring in an adult dog is put to sleep in the shelter, supply and demand, but I really don't think it's that simple. Some people simply never would have adopted an adult dog, many people despite all the work and warnings still want cute puppies. And personally I tried to bring in adult pits so many times before I settled for a puppy, because they were already set in their ways and prey driven and could not be trusted around my cats, sometimes it's only safe to adopt and raise a puppy around cats. My 1 year old pit gives them enough chase and I've had her since 6 months. I'd not even find an adopter for Ginny at this point if she wasn't fixated on cats.

To add more picture content til I get home from work later, this is how skinny she was in the shelter:

She was about 45 lbs after I got some food in her, she's 55 lbs about 5 weeks later and barrel shaped:

With my other foster dog (N)

I really hope the puppies are okay considering her conditions early on. I think her face is all red in that picture from being picked on and bitten by other dogs - she is very passive as long as food/toys are not present.

Also she's lactating I can't tell if it's colostrum or not though

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 26, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Dang that would be exciting. If there's 8 puppies I guess I'll name the ones after the 6 names of Ginnie and Harry Potter's children Voldemort and Ginnie Jr.

I got excited today cuz her temperature was 98.5 around noon today, normally it's 99.1-100 all day, but it was 100.0 degrees this evening so.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Temp still 100 but I'm probably going to work from home tomorrow just in case it drops back down below 99 tomorrow. OK her belly used to be half the width of her ribcage now her belly sticks out further than her ribs I swear it wasn't this big like even 3 day ago, dem puppeez...

E: I'M SORRY about giant pic I posted from my phone in Awful app.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 27, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Are you gonna keep one or two or six?

I already have 2 dogs and 2 cats but bein real here if I fall in love with one who is especially good with my cats and dogs then I will probably keep them.

I'm staying and working from home today cuz that temp dip to 98.5 yesterday got me all excited. So far she seems normal, still eating like a piggy, she's getting rounder by the hour I swear, and no nesting.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 27, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

No puppies yet! She's getting fatter every day i cannot believe she went from emaciated to barrel-shaped so quickly. Temp is stable, I felt a puppy kick my hand once last week :3::3::3:
I've given her a kiddy pool full of old blankets, hello kitty sheets, and towels and she likes to drag the comforter out of it at night.
She never sits still unless eating and even then keeps wagging and wiggling. I wonder how she's going to behave during labor!

e: Because we all care about pictures

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 30, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Yeah she must've had many litters before this one. She's estimated to be 3-5 years old and nothing else is known about her, stray with no identification.

No worries I would never name one fred, not only for the obvious reasons but because my first family boxer was named Fred when i was a kid and he died.

No puppies yet. Her temp has been stable, she didn't seem to want to eat an afternoon snack which was weird but then she ate it around 6pm.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Dog status: Fat with babies

She's at least 8 weeks today, which means literally any day now. Tracking her temp, nothing evident yet

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 1, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

She's getting big, I am very excited for puppy time.

You're getting excited, jeez I cannot wait! I felt a very squirmy pup flop around against my palm this afternoon :kimchi:
Her temp seems to be dropping a little lower than it normally does around dinner time, not below 99 yet but i'll check her later.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I got home from work and she was kenneled and she had this dried yellow stuff on her side:

It doesn't really smell like pee or anything and it doesnt appear to be coming from her vag, i dont see it on her crate bedding at all... she's never had an accident in her crate at all, nothing is coming out of her visibly, she has not had a temp drop. I dunno!?

Tldr probably pee

E: my mom guesses there's no room left for her bladder with the puppies so she can't holds it for a few hours during the day anymore. Poor baby! Cross your fingers she waits til Saturday now, I don't need to be dealing with the puppies when my own dogs are shivering in their thunder shirts Friday night.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 3, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

cryingscarf posted:

If they are born tomorrow you should name the puppies cheesy 4th of July things like Freedom, Firework, and most importantly, 'Murricah! (exclamation point always included) Make it a male and his name can be Murray for short.

Ugghh that completely fucks with my naming scheme, but it would probably be good for puppy PR.....
ffffff :argh:

OKAY HER TEMPERATURE DROPPED FROM 100 DEGREES AT 10PM LAST NIGHT, NORMAL, TO 98.3 DEGREES THIS MORNING I TOOK IT TWICE TO BE SURE!!!

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I bet she appreciated you taking it twice.

I used lube! She doesn't care much anyway.

EDIT: Allright if I'm going with the cheesy 4th of july idea, I NEED NAME SUGGESTIONS. Family friendly. 5-8 names.
:911: :patriot: :gop:

So far I will probably choose from:
- Freedom
- Liberty
- Justice
- Independence (Indy)
-Star
-Stripe
-Firecracker
-Doodle/Yankee doodle
Sparkler
July(Julie)
Rocket
Flare/Flair
Roman (Roman Candles)
Glory
Eagle

Maybes:
Brave
Patriot
America? (Mary?)

????

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 4, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I'm enjoying these, editing my list to choose from as I see your suggestions. Obviously if there's one that doesn't make it almost but comes back to life that will be Brave, one with a chest star or a face stripe will be those names, and the liveliest sucker will be firecracker, if any of these situations occur.

Her temp is still 98.7 so been in the 98s all day. Not seeing any nesting or not eating, but she's peeing every hour or so and still hungry she's eating treats stuffed in a kong right now. She's panting a lot but its also like in the 80s in our house gently caress california. I know it being warms good for the puppies at least though I won't need any sort of heat source for them I'm pretty sure.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Her belly is just so much incredibly wider than her ribs. Right now she's just panting and cooling her belly on the cement.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 4, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

No puppies yet, her temp is 97.8 now, new low. Can't tell if it will be tonight in the wee hours or even tomorrow. She ate almost all her dinner she's a piggie.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I knowww right? Her temp is now 97.7.

It's 1 am I'm on a sleeping bag next to her right now hopefully I'll awake to puppies!
Eta; I left to get a pillow and brush my teeth and when ib got back my sleeping bag was in her kiddy pool with her sitting on it lolol

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 4, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Been 24 hours since her temperature started dropping but it's even lower now 97.1. And she refused puppy kibble for breakfast which I've never seen her do. I hope it's soon I'm sleepy she currently has taken over my sleeping bag

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

She ate a treat then threw it up. Gross brown stuff leakin out of her so hopefully the next post will be a puppy! !

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Puppy one, girl named Liberty.

Puppy two burn one half hour later, big boy shot right out and nursing, Rocket

Been about an hour since

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Puppy 3, black boy with white chest and stripe across neck. So far rocket is fatty as hell the other two are the same weight

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

5 so far 3 girls 2 boys. 2 are black with white chests 3 are white with black or brown spots! I'll be able to post more detailed pics and names later at pc.
So far it was liberty, Rocket, stripe, Firecracker and Star.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

She's a very happy good momma. Not worried about people handling them at all, just wants you to bring em back for more cleaning. She's cleaned their butts so far, they all have appeared to nurse already.

Yep we went and picked up carry out around 9 pm and checked on her at 10 something after starting eaten and she had two more girls, surprise!!

They were the smallest and the largest of the litter respectively, and pretty unique

Sparkler

Independence
Has brown-black spots on eyes and at the base of her tail like Ginnie has a black one.

Pretty sure she's done at 7! 5 girls 2 boys, I really didn't have to do anything for her except wash and dry sheets over and over. It was about 12 hours after I first saw discharge and we'd been watching her like a hawk, we hadn't notice any contractions in her leading up to any of them she just suddenly stood up and squatted a little and PEW!. For each pup she just had one strong one and she groaned and they each shot out and I'm fairly sure she has eaten all the placentas. Pro status! Let her out to pee, then set her up in bed with a pillow a clean fleece blanket and a warm water bottle in a pillowcase. She has free access to food and water in there.

Rocket, big boy, sucking on little girl Liberty's ear

girl, Firecracker

boy, stripe

star, girl who looks a lot like my 1 year old pup Trixie

seven fireworks!

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 5, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Independence and Sparkler's butt

Sparkler and independence's butt!

Puppy pile!

A good mama

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

This litter is the most patriotic thing I've done in a real long time.

I've brought you here now it's time for you all to die of cuteness, for they are milkdrunk

Boy named Stripe

Independence's lovely eye patch

Liberty on Independence

Firecracker

I got some goat milk to supplement the smallest one Sparkler cuz she's the only one that has lost significant weight and I couldn't get her to take a teat. she sucked really hard on my finger and I leaked the goat milk formula in the side and she got a stache

Hopefully you can see the white markings on her toes, tip of tail, very cute.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 6, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Dr. Chaco posted:

If there's any way you can get puppy formula and a bottle that would be better than goat's milk.

It's goat's milk esbilac which my mom (vet) and the rescue said is the best thing for em.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Good news is this morning all their weights were up, and Sparkler latched on to momma so got some colostrum finally. Didn't have to supplement any esbilac today. :woop:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Plz enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSPO3qdx5iQ

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You are a very dedicated new-puppy and new-mother owner and I salute you.

If those were human babies, I'd be a bit worried about their managing to strangle themselves with the yarn strings -- there are pretty rigid laws now about clothing not having strings and so on. Might you consider food-coloring splashes, or is this not a problem for puppies?

Never heard of it being a problem it's commonplace for litters with very similar looking pups. So far if anything they just stretch it out then get one of their arms under it, but its not too tight. But I probably won't do it for much longer I'm getting to know them well.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Google made me this! How nice of you google

Also maybe this works, it's a 'Story' google+ built and I shared it publicly: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+emilyfeldman/posts/g21617peJQw

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I gave them all a kiss before I went to work this morning, it was lovely. Then momma was busy pigging out on breakfast so I had one hungry pup in each hand sucking my pointer fingers.

Heeelp I've fallen and I can't get up!

(they did squirm themselves rightside up but they were asleep like this when I came in)

Then i was letting my other foster dog outside and ginnie was jealous (and protective) and peeked through my broken screen I WONDER HOW THIS SCREEN GOT BROKEN IT COULDN'T HAVE BEEN THE DOG WHOSE CLAWS REACH RIGHT OVER THAT LEDGE

e: oh pics I didn't post here yesterday of babies being full and sleepy

As of yesterday they've all gained 20-25% off their birth weight in 4 days, hurrah.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 9, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

So pink and soft and muzzles so fuzzy and squishy :3:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Haha that makes that picture even cuter...

Fat n sleepy last night

yawwwn

I was holding Rocket and Ginnie came to clean him so he peed all over me, thx mom

so much tongue from stripe

Sparkler is gettin' realllly cute black freckles on her pink toes and nose.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 11, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

How long until they start peeping?

They sound like guinea pigs now, or do you mean open their eyes?
I hope any day now!

I just changed their bedding and washed a shitload of bedding by hand cuz my washer broke and a new one is comingon tuseday and then i mopped in their room and omg i just wanted to crawl into their tub and nap with them after

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 12, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah, I meant the eyes. Puppies at this stage look and sound like they have the hangover to end all hangovers to me. I can just hear them wailing "Never ag*urp* again!"

They're relatively quiet! Firecracker starts moaning when she cant find mom/ her nipples, Independence i think wrapped herself in a fleece blanky once and was way over heated and panting so she was yelping, I bathed her in cold water and she was fine, and Rocket and Liberty can also be loudmouths when they're hungry. They're now all roughly double their birth weight today. I will hold off on more pics unless yall really want em til their eyes open etc.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

10 days old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArR82yxGcc0

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQ57tHS6c8

also pretty lady liberty

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 15, 2014

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Oh noes you'll have to take them allll....

Not sure if you can see on this pic but there's a red/purple hickey on Sparkler's abdomen near her thigh, from one of her fat hungry brothers trying to find a teat on her belly! Indy has a hickey on her too. Piggy dogs!! Your sister is not a boob!

Their breath is smelling distinctly more puppy musky since yesterday, less baby-like, eeeee.
I'm hoping their eyes open soon, they're 12 days old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

a life less posted:

It may be a no-brainer, but I would use this time to get them used to handling. I'm looking at those little needle claws and flinching. The best thing my breeder did was get my dog used to having her nails trimmed before she left her house. They're probably too young to actually cut anything.

I don't worry I'm often handling the poo poo out of the puppies as much as Ginnie lets me before she comes over and makes them pee on me. I'll probably try to get them used to the nail dremel buffer soon.

This just in , eyes are starting to open!
(12* days old)
I can count.

Rocket

Star

I also got a 3 foot tall midwest pen thing for them and attached it to ginnie's crate so she's got like a master condo branching off of the puppy pen it's pretty sweet I can also let her out of hte 2nd side door of the crate and the puppies probably won't figure out there's a door there for a month.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 17, 2014

• Locked thread