Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

:siren: Big day tomorrow in the Hereford FIFA Fan Zone. Two monster games and two poo poo ones, and we're expecting quite the crowd in our great little hamlet to partake in all we have to offer. We've recovered from the massive riot/tire fire that was England's elimination game, and the actual ensuing riot/tire fire. Stickers are being swapped, beers are being drank, and fine women are flashing their chebs.

On to the show.

Early matches:

USA vs. GER

Jurgen's Klansmen take on Hoagie Low's Man-schaft in what has the potential to play out like WC 1982's Germany vs. Austria wonder-match, only with more people of Germanic decent playing in this game.

FIFA Fan Fest Keys to the Game. - Superstar Michael Badly, a naturalized Canadian or something, leads the potent US attack from his new position farther up the pitch where he has no idea what to do, as opposed to playing in his normal position where he's maybe a decent footballer. Still no Jozy Altidore for the American Gunners (finished second in CONCACAF qualifying in gun violence, trailing only Mexico), who will instead look to actual goal scorers to score goals. The strategy has paid off for them so far, with only the funniest goal in USA Men's National Team Soccer history keeping them from topping the group.

Germany will be looking to bag that all important Miroslav Klose (that's German right?) goal to put him on the top of the score sheet for FIFA World Cup goals in all FIFA World Cups. They will do this by starting him on the bench and letting a front three of two manlets and Thomas "Cool Guy" Mueller bang in misplayed Geoff Cameron crosses.

POR vs. GHA

Paulo Bento's men are currently the only garbagemen from a European peninsula still working at this point, a great counterpoint to the massive unemployment still rocking said lesser countries of western Europe. They face a feisty Ghana squad without 29 going on 45 Sulley Muntari, who is out on yellow card accumulation. My guess is both teams will pass the ball around a bit, and then Nani will gently caress something up. Ronaldo will stare at Nani and wish his own legs were still functional.

Advancement Scenarios:

quote:

Germany is likely to advance regardless of what it does Thursday against the United States. Germany wins the group with a victory or a tie. It advances with a loss unless it loses its current advantage in goal differential to the winner of the Ghana-Portugal match; Germany’s differential is now +4, compared with -1 for Ghana and -4 for Portugal.

The United States advances with a tie or win against Germany. If the United States loses, it will be rooting for anything but a Ghana win in the Ghana-Portugal match because Ghana is in a better tiebreaker position than Portugal. The United States, regardless of what it does, advances with a tie between Ghana and Portugal; if Portugal wins, Portugal is likely to lose the tiebreaker to the United States, whereas Ghana has a decent chance to win the tiebreaker over the United States. The United States wins the group with a win over Germany. For even more, see this detailed Upshot post by David Leonhardt.

Ghana needs to win and will be rooting for Germany over the United States. If Ghana wins and the United States loses, the two will be tied, and Ghana will be in solid position for the goal-differential tiebreaker (it will advance if it wins by more than a goal, or if the U.S. loses by more than a goal). Ghana cannot win the group.

Portugal is in trouble. To have any chance of advancing, it needs a win over Ghana and not a draw in the Germany-United States match. If Portugal wins, it will be tied with the loser of the Germany-United States match, if there is one. But Portugal (goal differential: -4) will have trouble winning the tiebreaker against Germany (goal differential: +4) or the United States (+1). Portugal cannot win the group.
Late matches:

Algeria vs. Russia
"One PL player, who cares!"

Korea Republic vs. Belgium

Belgium had one shot on target for the first 88 minutes of their last match. Korea Republic gave up 4 goals to Algeria. I have no idea how this will play out but it will probably suck.

Here's how this dross group can play out:

quote:

Belgium has clinched advancement and wins the group with a tie or victory against South Korea.

Algeria advances with a win against Russia. It advances with a tie unless South Korea beats Belgium by enough to overcome its current deficit in goal differential with Algeria (-2 vs. +1). Algeria wins the group if it beats Russia and South Korea beats Belgium.

Russia advances with a win over Algeria and a Belgium win or tie against South Korea. If Russia and South Korea both win, they will be tied. Russia (with a goal differential of -1) is currently in better position than South Korea (-2). Russia cannot win the group.

South Korea needs a win and help to advance. For starters, it needs a victory over Belgium and something other than an Algeria victory over Russia. If South Korea and Russia both win, South Korea will need to win a tiebreaker against Russia. If South Korea wins and Russia ties Algeria, South Korea will need to win a tiebreaker against Algeria. South Korea will be rooting for Russia, which is in worse shape for a tiebreaker than Algeria.

I expect this thread to be the one that crashes the newly rebuilt forums, especially once USA goes down 3-0. We will do our best to bring live updates from the Hereford FIFA Fan Zone as the day progresses, but we are expecting technical difficulties.

[PLACEHOLDER FOR LINEUPS AS THEY ARE POSTED]

Earthy Ape Unit fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm still recovering from the shock of switzerland qualifying.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
a mite early

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Akbar posted:

a mite early

Per FIFA mandate and for the benefit of its brand sponsors, each FIFA Fan Zone must be open by 5:00am local time the day of the match.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

This man's head is still absolutely hilarious to me.

Also, thank Christ the forums are back.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

This is the match day where we determine if Russia or Belgium are the more boring team

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

GO GO USA! I will be waking up at 8am and be drinking beers soon thereafter. This will be a very stressful World Cup day. GO GO USA!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

This is the match day where we determine if Russia or Belgium are the more boring team

I fully expect to black out during that match and experience Schrodinger's World Cup until I wake up and find out it was a dire 0-0 draw. Thanks Capello.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
looking forward to world war 3: the soccer game

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It's coming home boys

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

vyelkin posted:

I fully expect to black out during that match and experience Schrodinger's World Cup until I wake up and find out it was a dire 0-0 draw. Thanks Capello.

Russia and Belge already played mate, now we're seeing if either of them want to score goals against the other poo poo team they've yet to play

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Russia and Belge already played mate, now we're seeing if either of them want to score goals against the other poo poo team they've yet to play

poo poo, you're right. My brain was trying to spare me the pain of remembering that match ever happened.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ghana and Germany to win please footballing gods

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Germany and Ghana will advance and then this, but the US and my dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbISE9IM5Sk

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
also your gimmick is dumb and annoying op, and i hate you for making this thread 10 hours early just to make sure you got in first so we all have to see it. this is supposed to be about america for chrissake. AMERICA

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I hope the US and Portugal have to draw lots in a shady FIFA office. The tears from the US would be soooo tasty (although they would probably win the lot draw because US is a bigger market)

Also:

best reference graphic I have seen so far

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 26, 2014

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Are the SAS in Hereford watching this

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Still can't get over how poo poo group H is. I hope Algeria does a thing again, that's about all the hope I can muster.

Little nervous about the earlier game but I mean honestly, it's the US. What could possibly go wrong? (Someone post terStegen.gif from the friendly last year, for old time's sake)

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Futbol is great you guys

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
The Euros have

quote:

7, position in the Uefa national team coefficient ranking system;
8, fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);

before drawing of lots.

FIFA knows that the FIFA ranking is useless and the referees corrupt so they skip that part.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I look forward to the USMNT getting wrecked by Germany. I know I said that about Portugal but Germany are actually not a terrible team so it could happen! Er kommt Heimat!

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
There's a pretty decent chance today's game will net Algeria a rematch against Germany. They will obviously end up losing but if by some freak accident they knock Germany out that'll be a match for the ages.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Both teams are obviously gonna play for a draw. It's gonna be a poo poo match.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Both teams are obviously gonna play for a draw. It's gonna be a poo poo match.

Germany has nothing to lose by utterly crushing the US.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They also have very little to gain. Tommy Muller would probably want to increase his goal tally but they're not going to play too offensively.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I've got my hulk hogan meat shoes and I'm ready to rock

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

They also have very little to gain. Tommy Muller would probably want to increase his goal tally but they're not going to play too offensively.

Playing for the draw is dangerous though. Italy tried it and it didn't work, whereas if their attack had had more bite from the first minute they would probably be through.

Of course, Germany is not as vulnerable as Italy, but the point still stands. I hope they go for it because they know they're way better than the US.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Miroslav Klose could beat (fat) Ronaldo's goal scoring record.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

croutonZA posted:

Also, thank Christ the forums are back.

I might be able to enjoy the football again

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want USA to win for the laffs and also all MLS posters to be probated for the duration of the game

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I hope that Germany and Ghana both win their respective matches with high enough margins so that they both proceede into the knockout stages.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ephex posted:

I hope that Germany and Ghana both win their respective matches with high enough margins so that they both proceede into the knockout stages.

same

This will also make the American shitposting here finally stop.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Dunban posted:

same

This will also make the American shitposting here finally stop.

I doubt that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gently caress Germany forever but they will advance and I'm undecided on the USA, on the one hand I want the USA's dreams to get crushed so I may drink the tears of all the fans, and the USA has no real place in the sport. On the other hand I want the plucky Americans to win because they're my third choice after Belgium and Holland, paradoxically.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
I hope Klose scores at least 3 goals, because he is cool and good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ephex posted:

I want this as well but that chart that was posted in the Germany thread made me realize there's a way to get this group down to drawing of lots, but the only way to get the US to go out on drawing of lots is if Portugal go through instead of Ghana.

But I want the US to go out by drawing of lots. I want it so bad.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
So USA and Ghana need to win 3-0 or better for this to be the best world cup? Come on World Cup miracles.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ephex posted:

I doubt that.

Well, they're gonna keep at it for a day or two, but then they'll lose interest and go back to their own lovely sports.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If Germany tries at all the USA had better hope Portugal remembers how to play football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
KPB and Muntari have been sent home from the world cup

• Locked thread