Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Definitely going on black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

He should buy $160k worth of guns and ammo.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I thought the first two episodes were awesome and tonight kept it going.

I hope Lindelof sticks to his guns and they never say what happened to the people that left. Way more likely than not it will be a letdown.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

Almost every time goons complain about someones American accent being horrible I almost always think "wait, he was using a fake accent and it was bad?"

It almost never jumps out at me. Even when I know that's not the actors real accent. Just be accepting of how people sound. Stop being so voice soundist.

You may as well ask them to just stop being goons.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

El Murguista posted:

Wholeheartedly agree, I'd even go so far as to say the priest resembles Locke in a couple ways. Or possibly an anti-Locke, as your first impression of Locke is he's a badass and his weaknesses are exposed over time, while the priest is probably is on his way to becoming a stone cold killer.

And they both struggle with faith despite things like having their spine healed and pigeons helping them win$160k.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I loved when he beat down the would-be thief. I took the bait for him getting the money stolen after all that hook-line-and-sinker and it was a very pleasant surprise to see him bounce back from it.

On an unrelated note I wish I hadn't read Theroux's personal quotes section on IMDB because his IRL douchiness may interfere with my enjoyment of his performance.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'm surprised any of those are still made here to film this part.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The Holy Wayne/Tommy storyline is my least favorite by far.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Two steps forward, one step back. Underwhelming episode.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Not sure how big the show's town is, but in some small American towns it's still not that uncommon for people to leave their windows and even doors unlocked, not have security systems, etc.

But still, that scene where the GR are suddenly expert cat burglars was as stupid as it was implausible. I really want to like this show but this episode was the weakest so far by a long shot.

For a show about 2% of the world's population vanishing, I'm not sure what it was about the burglary part that my suspension of disbelief choked on. I mean, not ONE of them caught in the act? It's not like they just broke in and took one thing and ran. They were carefully taking apart picture frames ffs. No dogs barking, no homeowner defending his property with a bat/shotgun. 100% success rate.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Good and rear end in a top hat is like a separate axis from boring and likeable.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Off to one heck of a start.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

quite honestly I won't be surprised if someone stones a member of WBC. Dunno why I was shaken by that, but I don't know what those assholes expect for stealing everyone's photos.

I feel like that would've happened by now if it was going to.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I was kind of distracted when the shirt thing was resolving, where those his actual shirts or did the dry cleaner just start giving him random white shirts because he was scared?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I thought the voice definitely changed. Will have to rewatch the episode and pay more attention that and the shirt thing. My problem with him just getting random shirts is wouldn't he notice when he got home and looked at them? What are the odds they are even his size?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Toshimo posted:

You do what you gotta do to get the Angry Armed Drunk Man out of your store. Who the gently caress cares if he figures it out in an hour?

From the dry cleaner's point of view, yeah I agree with you. I was talking about from Chief's point of view. He took the toaster apart to make sure his bagel didn't get raptured and was relieved when he found it. Presumably, he'll realize those aren't his shirts very soon when he goes to wear one and then be freaking out again.

On the other hand if they really were his shirts, why was the dry cleaner loving with him?

Either way, it just doesn't make sense.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

thathonkey posted:

I think you're onto something. Also can we please cease all stupid speculation about the phone call with the ATF agent. Nothing about the tone of the show suggests that there is anything suspicious going on there.

Wait, what? How about the fact Garvey's dad went insane, we had a whole story arc suggesting Dog Blaster was a figment of his imagination, him questioning his sanity with deer/bagel/shirts?

E: Wait, sorry if you were just kidding.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Garvey's shirt that he pulled out of the hamster had patches sewn on the shoulders (US Flag and MPD). I didn't see any patches on the shirts from the dry cleaners, but I don't see how he could have missed that, even as drunk as he was.

E: I'm thinking they are his shirts, and like the toaster it was just a little incident to show him doubting his sanity. I guess the dry cleaner was just being a dick because he didn't have his ticket?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

poo poo, maybe I am the one going crazy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Matt's quest to bring the GR "back to life" is a really cool theme that I hope is genuine, and not cover for his group killing them. It's a great juxtaposition of all these people being utterly indifferent or supportive of people that are still actually around being killed while pining for a bunch of people that are gone. I mean people are paying piles of $$ for corpse dolls instead of reaching out to actual real people are still there, just acting weird. Great stuff.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Leb posted:

Would you, though? I feel like if you were a rationalist before the departure, and in the absence of any evidence to suggest that the departure was in any way supernatural in nature, you might reasonably conclude that our failure to explain the phenomenon lay in our incomplete understanding of the physical universe and that in time and with the advancement of science, we might very well be able to explain what became of the 2%.

The departure would be in and of itself evidence of the supernatural on my scorecard.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ummm....wtf?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

please don't kinkshame

Is that an actual fetish?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I hope they don't kill Holy Wayne because holy poo poo, he stole the episode with that scene. And given how good Nora is, that's pretty impressive.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Nora is so adorable.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

His dog seems p chill.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ah so that's why they took the photos

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I find it weird that Tyler Durden Garvey would bet that he could rehabilitate one of the dogs, it seems like something regular Garvey would do.

Also in response to an earlier post, dipping in upstate NY is not at all unusual.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This is great

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Holy gently caress.....

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:stare:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Tomahawk posted:

I don't think any of this would have worked as a first episode.

Agreed, this episode was placed perfectly here. I don't care what anyone says, Lindelof is the king of time shifting as a story telling device.

This episode worked so well because we knew where it was headed, it was like watching a car accident in slow motion.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Haha IDK maybe she is Indian, she looked more Middle Eastern to me but it's anyone's guess. I was just speculating.

And yeah that whole episode was just a poo poo-On-Kevin episode. No wonder he has barely smiled the entire show that I can really recall.

I thought it was Nadia from LOST, but IMDB tells me otherwise.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3288827/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Others did 10/14

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Disagreed, Nora is awesome and I would be TV pissed if her character was sent to jail.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

2% of the human population vanished into thin air and you can still walk into a store and buy Lucky Charms, get your dry cleaning done and travel to NYC and stay in a hotel. All things considered I would say society is still churning along remarkably well.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, it really looks like the show's presenting us with the idea that some people knew what was coming to varying degrees. I can't imagine them dropping that idea.

Maybe it will be this show's outrigger shooting.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

gently caress no....

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Kevin getting his wish beautifully done, the dog was a nice touch. I don't know What's Next, but I'm on board for season two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Max posted:

See, I'm sure there is going to be a lot of debate about what his wish was.

I was sure it was "I don't want to be crazy" but given the way Wayne reacted, it was probably "I want my family back."

I thought it was getting his family back.

• Locked thread