Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

sd6 posted:

So wait, did the show's writers/creators explicitly say that they're never going to reveal how or why the people disappeared?

I'm not sure which interview but I'm pretty sure Lindelof specifically did say the disappearance will not be explained. In another interview he sort of did a slight flip flop and said he doesn't want to reveal if it'll be explained or not, because that will effect your viewing of the show and he wants it to speak for itself. Though it's pretty obvious there's no explanation, and I'm fine with that. I can't fathom an explanation to the mystery that wouldn't be lame as gently caress and diminish the entire point of the series and the whole idea of having to grapple with something that has no answer.

Put me in the camp of really enjoying this pilot. Enjoyed basically everything about it...even didn't mind the daughter's subplot too much. Very much looking forward to the weeks ahead. Though it's unfortunate how reminiscent the deer subplot is of Hannibal, or maybe that's just because I just recently watched every episode of Hannibal and have it on the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

By the way, I kind of have to admire the balls on Lindelof to adapt a book where the premise is "a mysterious thing happens and we're never going to get an answer to it" given how much people hated him after Lost for that exact reason. I'm already seeing speculation online with theories about alien abduction and all that, and when this show ends with no reveal about the departure, people are going to have the exact same violent reaction towards Lindelof that they did 4 years ago. I have to admire him for being interested in this project and pursuing it because he believes in it, all the while knowing for a fact that he's going to have to go through poo poo from fans all over again.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

I'm really enjoying this show. I like the characters and am not nearly as frustrated by everything as you guys apparently are. My only complaint with this episode was that I don't really understand what's so bad about Wayne that the FBI would need to send in a drat SWAT team. All we were told is that he maybe fucks underage girls, but they responded as if they were going after Bin Ladin. I guess maybe we'll find out some more sinister stuff about him in the future? But it's hard for me to get into the drama of that shootout when I'm just sitting there confused about why it's happening.

Otherwise though I'm loving this and am very much looking forward to the next episode. Despite some minor issues I'm totally on board. But it's not really a show I can defend passionately because it's just a matter of if it didn't hook you, it didn't hook you.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Lucky Raccoon posted:

Kinda thought Nora Durst's departure interview thing was going to be a Kevorkian style assisted suicide deal at first.

I totally thought this too and in retrospect I'm not even exactly sure why. It just felt like that's where something like this might go.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Unluckyimmortal posted:

From reading the wikipedia plot summary of the novel, it sounds like there's enough material for a season at most. Has anyone seen an article or interview regarding a potential second season, or is The Leftovers explicitly a 10 episode series?

Assuming it does well they're planning on a Season 2 from what I read, yeah. And according to Damon Lindelof in one of the many pre-show interviews they're going to be overtaking the book within this very season.

Also I don't get why everyone is so confused about the Guilty Remnant. Is there much more to understand than that they're a cult whose purpose is to remind people about the departed, in a world where everyone just wants to move on, and they smoke and stand there silently to annoy and provoke people, i.e the Westboro Baptist Church?

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

A few things I didn't get/missed about the last episode:

1) How did that random painting make the priest suddenly realize both that there was a peanut butter jar full of money buried in someone's yard, and he should gamble it all? He said something like,
"Your father in law (the cop's crazy dad) left something for me to have?" to the cult woman. What's the connection between the Crazy Cop Dad and the priest?

2) How did the cop's ex-wife know the priest would be there at that exact time? I know he's had cultists watching him, but she wasn't one of them, being assigned to Liv Tyler and all, so how did she know to go there? Even if other people were watching him, they couldn't exactly call someone else to get there ahead of time, since they both don't speak, and couldn't have known where he was headed.

3) What did the ex-wife write down on the paper? I tried to pause it, but the HBO Go thing popped over part of it so I couldn't read it.

I'm not totally sure about the first one, but I'm pretty sure the ex-wife was there on her own, unrelated to the priest coming. I got the sense that she sometimes sneaks out from the GR to be at her family's house because she feels guilty for abandoning them, or misses home, or both. Also, I believe she wrote down "Don't tell anyone I was here," and the priest says he won't tell anyone if she won't.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Oh, also, why was the episode titled Two Boats and a Helicopter? That one I'm assuming is just something I missed, but I have no clue what that's supposed to be referring to.

It's a reference to an old Christian joke/story:

It was flooding in California. As the flood waters were rising, a man was on the stoop of his house and another man in a row boat came by. The man in the row boat told the man on the stoop to get in and he'd save him. The man on the stoop said, no, he had faith in God and would wait for God to save him. The flood waters kept rising and the man had to go to the second floor of his house. A man in a motor boat came by and told the man in the house to get in because he had come to rescue him. The man in the house said no thank you. He had perfect faith in God and would wait for God to save him. The flood waters kept rising. Pretty soon they were up to the man's roof and he got out on the roof. A helicopter then came by, lowered a rope and the pilot shouted down in the man in the house to climb up the rope because the helicopeter had come to rescue him. The man in the house wouldn't get in. He told the pilot that he had faith in God and would wait for God to rescue him. The flood waters kept rising and the man in the house drowned. When he got to heaven, he asked God where he went wrong. He told God that he had perfect faith in God, but God had let him drown. "What more do you want from me?" asked God. "I sent you two boats and a helicopter."

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

I really hope we continue to focus on Matt a good amount throughout the season and he doesn't just sink back into the background. The fact that he wasn't in the preview for next week's episode at all has me worried about that. Hopefully this isn't a George R.R. Martin style "introduce a character to set up a larger conflict only for us to never see that character again."

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Wasn't he the one saying "there is no point in killing these people, they're already dead"? I was keeping an eye out for him to see if we were going to get a resolution to that supremely awesome episode ending look.

Oh maybe. I didn't watch the long preview that aired after the broadcast, but the HBO Go version had a shorter preview presumably just for next week's episode, and that one didn't feature Matt at all, unless I missed something.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Don't really know what to make of the whole nativity scene storyline, but good episode otherwise.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

thathonkey posted:

I can certainly understand not liking the show at this point but why do people keep acting like it keeps bringing up new mysteries and such?

Yeah I don't quite get this, was there even a single mystery raised in this episode? The only major mysteries I can really think of at the moment are what's going on with Wayne, is Kevin's dad crazy or can he really communicate with the departed, who is Kevin's dog shooting friend, and arguably what is the purpose of the Guilty Remnant, though I'd argue that's been made kind of obvious at this point. Not counting "where did the departed go" since it seems clear that's not something we should be focused on.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

What the hell was that bag thing? Did I miss something?

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

I'm really happy at where they took Father Matt's storyline this episode. I was really worried about them pursuing a storyline where he turns straight up criminal in getting revenge on the GR. I'm gonna be super disappointed if they go for the twist of having his group actually have done the murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - he's apparently taking a very high road in getting revenge against the cult: trying to save at least some of its members. I really like the guy, and I'd also be super disappointed, but I don't think we have to worry. His defining trait is perseverance, and going violent is a sure way to fail at what he's set out to do. Even if the murder had successfully scared some of the members away, that wouldn't exactly be "bringing them back to life."

Right, I definitely saw a lot of speculation about him going bad in a quest for revenge at the end of Episode 3 though, and I'm glad they don't seem to be going that route. But the fact that the killers from the opening scene, a group of people, have yet to be revealed, and this episode also introduced us to Matt's new group, has me a bit worried they might go for that lame twist.

• Locked thread