Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Finding a good shop is difficult, especially for motorcycles. With obscene dealer labor rates and general incompetence rampant within the motorcycle mechanic world, a list of shops favored by AI posters could be extraordinarily useful. Post the shop's name, number, a little blurb, and location and I'll add it to the list. Shops to avoid work too! I have a list of states for simplicity's sake but international shops are good too.

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota

Ohio
Recommended Shops
Robert's Cycle
1201 N Main. St
Marion, OH
740-223-0999
This shop is owned by a fellow named Matthew Roberts and opened up about 2 years ago. Matt is coming from the motorcycle tech program at York Technical Institute. It's small, but is able to handle everything. The last time I was in there he was splitting the cases on an ATV engine. The guys there are all super friendly and helpful with every little issue I've come to them about, sometimes for nothing more than a conversation. The prices for labor and parts are out of this world. Especially for tires and mounting. I can't remember the cost for tire mounting on the bike, but if I told you you probably wouldn't believe me. By far the cheapest in central Ohio. If you live in Columbus, Mansfield, or anywhere within an hour of Marion this really is the only shop you should try.

Shops to Avoid
Edison Billiard and Cycle
3027 State Route 95
Edison, OH

A combination billiard/motorcycle shop (seriously) was my go to for crap I couldn't do when I first started riding since it was the only option other than a dealer. Out of 2 tire changes, they hosed up my wheel pretty good on one, and forgot the valve stem cap on the other. Sorta decent prices for a tire change though.

Thiel's Wheels
35 Tahre Trail
Upper Sandusky, OH

Thiel's is Harley/Honda/Kawsaki/Triumph dealer that has a big stranglehold on the marker around here. I've never dealt with the service department, but a call for a price check one time was obscene. You can't go in here without getting pounced on by a high pressure salesperson even if you're just in there to order a part, like I was last week just to get a loving gasket. Even the guy at the counter kept hounding me about helmets and poo poo because I made a mistake of pausing and looking at them.

Oklahoma
Oregon

Pennsylvania
Shops to Patronize
Joe's Cycles
2555 W Chester Pike, Broomall, PA 19008
(610) 356-2662

A solid choice if you need some basic repair work done very quickly. Saturdays are "while you wait" for inspections, tire changes, fluid flushes, etc. -- just show up in the morning and chum around with other customers for a couple hours. Fun atmosphere.

Kissell Motorsports
101 Hawbaker Industrial Dr, State College, PA 16803
(814) 861-7890

What makes this BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealership is Nate, their ridiculously-good sales manager, and a solid service department.

RevZilla Motorsports
4020 South 26th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19112

I probably don't need to say anything about their legendary customer service or stock, but a huge swath of people in the mid-atlantic don't realize that RevZilla has a premium gear boutique, and their showroom is attached to their warehouse, so you can ride to the shop and pretty much pick up whatever you want. Technically they're only supposed to let you pick up items from the boutique brands listed on their site, but I've pulled up with a car and picked up a Two Brothers exhaust before. It just takes a little coaxing of the sales guys.

Shops to Avoid
Martin Motorsports
1037 Unger Ln, Boyertown, PA 19512
(610) 369-3120

Slimy sales and seedy service. More than once I've gone to look at a bike which appeared awesome in the photos, only to find surface rust, major scratches, and all kinds of other junk. The one sales guy I talked to doesn't even own a motorcycle
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee

Texas
Recommended Shops
Motoliberty
2821 Lyndon B Johnson Fwy, Dallas, TX
(972) 243-5995
They have a web presence and turn up at most GP races. Good selection/prices on gear and accessories, nice staff. The coffee and donut holes are worth the trip alone.

Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Texas:

Motoliberty:
2821 Lyndon B Johnson Fwy, Dallas, TX
(972) 243-5995

They have a web presence and turn up at most GP races. Good selection/prices on gear and accessories, nice staff. The coffee and donut holes are worth the trip alone.

Perry's Motorcycle and Sidecar

816 S Sylvania Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76111
(817) 429-9922

This guys been wrenching on BMWs since the loving 70s. He does everything from maintenance to restorations to modifications like adding a sidecar. He's super competent and knowledgeable.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 29, 2014

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me
Nice topic.

Pennsylvania -- Shops to Patronize
Joe's Cycles
2555 W Chester Pike, Broomall, PA 19008
(610) 356-2662

A solid choice if you need some basic repair work done very quickly. Saturdays are "while you wait" for inspections, tire changes, fluid flushes, etc. -- just show up in the morning and chum around with other customers for a couple hours. Fun atmosphere.

Kissell Motorsports
101 Hawbaker Industrial Dr, State College, PA 16803
(814) 861-7890

What makes this BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealership is Nate, their ridiculously-good sales manager, and a solid service department.

RevZilla Motorsports
4020 South 26th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19112

I probably don't need to say anything about their legendary customer service or stock, but a huge swath of people in the mid-atlantic don't realize that RevZilla has a premium gear boutique, and their showroom is attached to their warehouse, so you can ride to the shop and pretty much pick up whatever you want. Technically they're only supposed to let you pick up items from the boutique brands listed on their site, but I've pulled up with a car and picked up a Two Brothers exhaust before. It just takes a little coaxing of the sales guys.

Pennsylvania -- Shops to Avoid
Martin Motorsports
1037 Unger Ln, Boyertown, PA 19512
(610) 369-3120

Slimy sales and seedy service. More than once I've gone to look at a bike which appeared awesome in the photos, only to find surface rust, major scratches, and all kinds of other junk. The one sales guy I talked to doesn't even own a motorcycle :laffo:

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 28, 2014

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Could be better if we could fill up more locations. This would be an awesome resource to have.

• Locked thread